• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 88 UKDual & EuroDual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Will they not be using the opportunity of the time waiting for NR paperwork to do some driver training runs? I guess there's a fair amount of similarity to a 68, but there must be some differences, and hours that need to be accumulated in the cab?

Also, we know 88001 and 88002 appear to be running fine, but you'd think as part of the commissioning of 003-010 it may be prudent to give each of them a decent test run at some point?

I would presume that 001 and 002 have Network Rail permission to undertake these tests, only once the tests are complete and NR have signed them off and paperwork issued, will the remaining loco's and driver training runs be allowed to commence.

TimboM

Established Member
I would presume that 001 and 002 have Network Rail permission to undertake these tests, only once the tests are complete and NR have signed them off and paperwork issued, will the remaining loco's and driver training runs be allowed to commence.

I've no idea how these things work when there in the test phase - e.g. is it by individual loco or by Class (or sub-class of loco)?

Either way, let's hope NR are a bit sharper on the paperwork than when they were route clearing Flying Scotsman for the Borders Railway, or 92s on the St Helen's line for GBRf15!

TimboM

Established Member
WNXX is reporting that:

The Class acceptance trails with 88001 and 88002... are complete and the Class 88 is cleared for general running on Network Rail.

Have NR pulled their finger out on the paperwork, then?

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member
If true, that's remarkable.
I can't think of an electric loco that has been cleared so quickly.
Presumably just on the WCML?

Would be good to see some corroboration of this info - only on Thursday CosherB noted that all hoops had been jumped through and they were now awaiting paperwork - I'm hence surprised if that's all been sorted given it's been the Easter weekend.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Would be good to see some corroboration of this info - only on Thursday CosherB noted that all hoops had been jumped through and they were now awaiting paperwork - I'm hence surprised if that's all been sorted given it's been the Easter weekend.

I hope it hasn't got IEP syndrome - where the conducting of a test is presumed to be the same as having passed it successfully...

Sunbird24

Apart from country-specific items, rolling stock approvals are now done through the auspices of the European Union Agency for Railways. Its website is here.
The word I had from a very reliable source was that all the approvals were carried out in Velim, hence all that needed testing was the specific UK electrification systems and other issues related specifically to UK systems. Once the paperwork is signed off they will start work on the Daventry-Mossend service.

Sunbird24

Was reported in Rail last week, class cleared with last two delivery imminent.
Cannot be, last weeks Rail (824, 12th April) was printed before they even finished testing. Next issue not due until 26th. My copy has nothing except the article on page 20 and that was written a week beforehand. The last four were delivered on March 30th along with the first two of the third batch of 68s.
The last test run was on April 12th and only later was the announcement made that testing was completed and there would be no more 88 action for some time (a few weeks was mentioned) pending the signing off by NR. At that time the remainder were still in the process of fitting new pantograph heads and commissioning. The only clearance last week was for two locomotives to carry out testing in multiple.

Devonman2014

Assuming many are still at kingmoor , are they able to be seen from passing trains ?

If not can you get to any public places to see them ?

Sunbird24

Assuming many are still at kingmoor , are they able to be seen from passing trains ?

They can be seen from passing trains though there is a large fence in the way and most trains pass quite fast. There is also a nature reserve adjacent to the track which gives views but again through a fence. Quite a lot of pictures have been posted on various websites showing the situation there from various vantage points. This video gives an idea, just after 4 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D6MQWcVPXY or use this link to find still pictures https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=c...HGMKHQmECYcQ_AUICSgC&biw=1920&bih=950#imgrc=_

Last edited:

TimboM

Established Member

Will probably get shot down on this thread for saying this, but from a fairly rapidly moving train passing Kingmoor depot and if your eyesight's not 20/20 (like mine isn't) an 88 with it's pan down (and behind a fence) doesn't look much different from a 68!

I think knowing where they're "parked" from recent photos/videos as Sunbird has suggested will help with ID-ing them though.

leomartin125

Will probably get shot down on this thread for saying this, but from a fairly rapidly moving train passing Kingmoor depot and if your eyesight's not 20/20 (like mine isn't) an 88 with it's pan down (and behind a fence) doesn't look much different from a 68!

I think knowing where they're "parked" from recent photos/videos as Sunbird has suggested will help with ID-ing them though.

I thought there was a clear difference from above, and that's the only public view of Kingmoor you can get... a 68 has no pantograph and an 88 does!

TimboM

Established Member
I thought there was a clear difference from above, and that's the only public view of Kingmoor you can get... a 68 has no pantograph and an 88 does!

Yes, from that bridge(?) a lot of photos are taken of down the yard it's nice and clear, but when whizzing past on the main line at c.50-60mph looking across through various other locos, wagons and fences it may not be. If you look at the youtube video Sunbird24 linked to in #555 you can just about make out the pantographs I think, but if you weren't eagle eyed you could be mistaken...

themiller

At 1120 on 20/04/2017, the 88s against the fence at the south end of the depot were (from north to south) 88005, 88004, 88007, 88010, 88009, 88006. Tucked in behind them was 88001. No others were visible outside the depot but 68027 was visible inside the depot building through an open door at the south end.

Sunbird24

Yes, from that bridge(?) a lot of photos are taken of down the yard it's nice and clear, but when whizzing past on the main line at c.50-60mph looking across through various other locos, wagons and fences it may not be. If you look at the youtube video Sunbird24 linked to in #555 you can just about make out the pantographs I think, but if you weren't eagle eyed you could be mistaken...
The pans should be clearly visible from a side view as they are in wells without sides. They also have a medium size fan each side of the sloping roof at the No 2 end. The 68s have two much larger horizontal fans on the roof at the No 2 end. These may not be so easy to make out at speed.

E_Reeves

Established Member
The tour with the 88 on the 9th May, is it still going ahead? I cannot find any timings on RTT, or are they added closer to the time?

STANDISH

Nothing on UK Site saying that it is not going ahead.

Anybody wanting to go past Kingmoor slowly should check out the Branch Line Society Tour this coming Sunday. Full details on their web site.

TimboM

Established Member
The tour with the 88 on the 9th May, is it still going ahead? I cannot find any timings on RTT, or are they added closer to the time?

For a tour such as this likely to attract enthusiasts and the associated risks of trespassing etc. I expect it'll go in "Flying Scotsman style" at short notice as an STP or even VSTP.

E_Reeves

Established Member
For a tour such as this likely to attract enthusiasts and the associated risks of trespassing etc. I expect it'll go in "Flying Scotsman style" at short notice as an STP or even VSTP.

Will the timings on the website be correct, as I was hoping to go and watch it go past?

TimboM

Established Member
Will the timings on the website be correct, as I was hoping to go and watch it go past?

They're clearly stated as "confirmed" and as passengers need to join/alight the train at Euston and MK I would hope they're pretty accurate.

This should give you a good idea of where it'll be wherever you're planning to see it, then keep an eye on RTT nearer the time. It will most probably appear on there at some point - may only be the day/night before though, but at least it will mean you can refine your plans.

Bertie the bus

Established Member

If you think an 88 hauled railtour is going to create the excitement of Flying Scotman’s first trip out you are living on another planet. Very few will bother to photograph it and there is virtually no chance of any trespass. Anyway the times are now on RTT and have been for a day or two:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53080/2017/05/09/advanced
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53083/2017/05/09/advanced

STANDISH

Further to my e-mail of the 3rd May the BLS Tour passed Kingmoor very slowly .

We noted 88005/6/7/8/9/10 outside. We assume 88001 and 4 inside. With 88002 and 88003 are at Gresty Lane. The two new 68's 26 and 27 were in plain view outside the depot.

Sunbird24

Will 88002 and/or 88003 put in an appearance today or overnight with the ecs move?
68028-68031 are all looking complete at the factory today and have been moved to the front so may move to the port this week. Still no sign of the last 3.

TimboM

Established Member
Will 88002 and/or 88003 put in an appearance today or overnight with the ecs move?

This is the light engine/ECS move (or at least one of them) - happens overnight starting out from Crewe at 03:40:

There's an hour timed for Wembley, so not sure if it's picking up the stock there, or if it'll already be on from Crewe and that's just a 'staging post' so it's ready to go in to Euston once the Lowlander Caledonian Sleeper has cleared Platform 1.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U53079/2017/05/09/advanced

Status
Not open for further replies.