• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Potteries Discussion

Martin2013

Thanks for this interesting information. Out of curiosity do you have the timings for the opposite direction?

Additionally were these timings Monday to Sunday or weekdays only?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mjc

How annoying it must be for First Potteries to actually carry passengers. I remember when the last bus from Stafford to Stone was around 2330, now it's 2115.
I know it’s frustrating, times on my local service have been cut too so the evening service is minimal (last bus from Hanley is 20:00). However, I’m pretty sure that the bus companies have learnt a thing or two over the last (almost) 40 years and won’t cut services which pay their way. What’s missing the the political/social will to enact change. Millions of £ are being spent building new hospital car parks. What should have been done is investment in public transport and ensuring that at least on the current network staff (and visitors) can get to the hospital for earliest shift start and from after latest shift finish. It needs big and brave moves like that to enact change and shift the car-default position.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Thanks for this interesting information. Out of curiosity do you have the timings for the opposite direction?

Additionally were these timings Monday to Sunday or weekdays only?
Monday to Friday times.

From Hanley, all to Stafford:
2300 in 2014
2230 from February 2016
2240 from June 2018
2200 from September 2019
2005 from March 2020
2000 from May 2020
Frequency approximately hourly up to the last bus.

Martin2013

Once again many thanks for providing this interesting information.

A last bus at 2300 in 2014 vs one at 2000 now is quite a negative step backwards.

Was the reduction in March 2020 billed as temporary before eventually becoming permanent?

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Once again many thanks for providing this interesting information.

A last bus at 2300 in 2014 vs one at 2000 now is quite a negative step backwards.

Was the reduction in March 2020 billed as temporary before eventually becoming permanent?
It wasn't billed as anything!

It was just:
From Monday 23 March, we will be operating a Saturday service in Potteries on Monday-Fridays until further notice.
The Saturday service up to that point had buses as per the Monday to Friday service and there was no mention of the earlier finish.

There were a set of changes due to be introduced on 19 April 2020, details were not published and they were overtaken by the 'National Emergency'.

My evening service was halved to hourly in July 2014 and removed entirely in February 2016. The last bus wobbles around the 1830 mark. Last month First had a grand total of £4.30 from me. If they want more they will have to provide an attractive service first!

Martin2013

I didn't realise that this was what happened.

I know that over on the 3 the last bus was also brought forward at the same time. Got a feeling that it had been 2130 or 2230 from Hanley and around 2130 from Crewe but from March 2020 it became 2030 from Hanley to Radway Green and 2040 from Crewe to Hanley.

Simon75

On Moderation
I didn't realise that this was what happened.

I know that over on the 3 the last bus was also brought forward at the same time. Got a feeling that it had been 2130 or 2230 from Hanley and around 2130 from Crewe but from March 2020 it became 2030 from Hanley to Radway Green and 2040 from Crewe to Hanley.
Years ago last bus from Crewe was around 11.30pm

SeanM1997

I travelled on the Crewe 6 yesterday (around 11am) from Leighton Hospital - Crewe, with 15 total passengers on the route. I found this incredibly high and not sure if normal but seems odd for First Potteries to want to cut a route which has a decent patronage

Lewisham2221

Established Member
It wasn't billed as anything!

It was just:

The Saturday service up to that point had buses as per the Monday to Friday service and there was no mention of the earlier finish.

There were a set of changes due to be introduced on 19 April 2020, details were not published and they were overtaken by the 'National Emergency'.
Not quite.

The Saturday service was introduced on that date in response to initial Covid guidance. It was a full Saturday service, late buses and all.

The following week, in response to lockdown, Sunday service was introduced.

Once the initial full lockdown restrictions were relaxed (9 weeks after the above?), a modified Saturday service was introduced as the Mon-Fri timetable. It was from this point that certain frequencies and early/late buses never returned.

For years the last bus from Crewe was around 0020, heading back as far as Kidsgrove

Last edited:

Martin2013

A decade ago the service ran until 23.30 from Crewe 7 days a week.

Got a feeling that by Autumn 2015 the last bus from Crewe on Sundays was around 20.30 (not sure if the later journeys were removed in that round of changes or before that) and that the 23.30ish journey on Monday to Saturay got dropped in early 2017.

Would anyone be able to give me an insight into how the Sunday timings for the 3 have changed overtime in the same way as it has been done for the 101?

StoneyM

Having spoken to someone in authority on the bus two days ago I was told the loss of the first two southbound services was due to "commercial unsustainability" which is what we expected all along. It seems that not enough people want to get to Stafford before 0830 but plenty want to leave.

SeanM1997

daodao

Established Member
Any chance the 3 could be extended to Leighton to replace the 6?
In the light of other recent changes to their network, it's more likely to be a frequency reduction, e.g. between Crewe and Kidsgrove, and/or withdrawal of the Sunday service on this section. However, there is less than 6 weeks to find out exactly what First Potteries will be doing.

Last edited:

SeanM1997

Hopefully won't be cuts and just timing changes based on the cancellation of Route 6. I would suspect if First do cut the frequency or Sunday service then D&G would jump on - hopefully we will find out soon enough

Simon75

On Moderation
Hopefully won't be cuts and just timing changes based on the cancellation of Route 6. I would suspect if First do cut the frequency or Sunday service then D&G would jump on - hopefully we will find out soon enough
It could even be possible that they reintroduce the recently withdrawn journeys

SeanM1997

Based on an FOI request made to Cheshire East Council, if all journeys operated, the no. 6 Crewe - Leighton Hospital route had on average 4.5 passengers per journey, split approximately 40% concessionary and 60% fare payers. What isn't clear is the cancellation rate during this period, which may mean it serves more passengers per journey than that.
4th June 2023 - 11th June 2023 Total Passengers 1288 Total Concessionary 523 Total Fare Paying Passengers 765
11th June 2023 - 17th June 2023 Total Passengers 1237 Total Concessionary 456 Total Fare Paying Passengers 781
18th June 2023 - 24th June 2023 Total Passengers 1325 Total Concessionary 528 Total Fare Paying Passengers 797
25th June 2023 - 1st July 2023 Total Passengers 1248 Total Concessionary 536 Total Fare Paying Passengers 712

Its a shame First Potteries didn't even try extending the no. 3 to Leighton Hospital and offer a through service, as this may have picked up more passengers - especially those who drive from Alsager/Haslington to Leighton Hospital already

daodao

Established Member
Its a shame First Potteries didn't even try extending the no. 3 to Leighton Hospital and offer a through service, as this may have picked up more passengers - especially those who drive from Alsager/Haslington to Leighton Hospital already
It would also have provided a through link from Leighton Hospital to Crewe railway station, which the previous route 6/6E did and which I used in the last week of Arriva's operation of this service.

SeanM1997

It would also have provided a through link from Leighton Hospital to Crewe railway station, which the previous route 6/6E did and which I used in the last week of Arriva's operation of this service.
I know the D&G no. 12 serves Rail House, however, it would have been an easier way to try and gain passengers - offer a through town service, provide connectivity from the Health Science University Campus to Leighton Hospital too - I just don't know if First Potteries actually properly tried on the no. 6 Crewe route

First Potteries have published new timetables from 03/09/2023 - 16/09/2023 and from 17/09/2023 onwards

Last edited:

markymark2000

On Moderation
I know the D&G no. 12 serves Rail House, however, it would have been an easier way to try and gain passengers - offer a through town service, provide connectivity from the Health Science University Campus to Leighton Hospital too - I just don't know if First Potteries actually properly tried on the no. 6 Crewe route

First Potteries have published new timetables from 03/09/2023 - 16/09/2023 and from 17/09/2023 onwards
D&G run a shuttle bus from Booth Hall to Leighton Hospital as well, if they tried, they could have got free travel for these people rather than having the shuttle bus.

If First wanted to make it work, they could have done. They chose not to try and make it work (through journeys with the huge benefits that would have brought) and they didn't want to compete against our poor man's excuse for a bus company that is commonly referred to as D&G.

Established Member
With influx of more Streetlites from Leicester the number of Omnicitys have reduced with only the following still showing on the bus time fleet list: 65029, 65032, 65034, 65035 & 65038.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
How much longer have the remaining Omnicitys 650xx got before being replaced?
Not very. According to bustimes.org only 65032 and 65038 are left in service now. Looks like their replacement Streetlites have made the journey over from Leicester, so probably just awaiting inspections and repairs before they take over.

Not very. According to bustimes.org only 65032 and 65038 are left in service now. Looks like their replacement Streetlites have made the journey over from Leicester, so probably just awaiting inspections and repairs before they take over.
65029 has now reappeared on the bustimes.org list. I can confirm from visual siting that this was in service yesterday.

Predictably, none of the Omnicitys are in use today, so I guess it's a case of wait and see what gets used on Monday.

There appear to be 7 ex-Leicester Streetlites which are yet to enter service in the Potteries.

Last edited:

Whiteway215

Established Member

65029 has now reappeared on the bustimes.org list. I can confirm from visual siting that this was in service yesterday.

Predictably, none of the Omnicitys are in use today, so I guess it's a case of wait and see what gets used on Monday.

There appear to be 7 ex-Leicester Streetlites which are yet to enter service in the Potteries.
If there are still seven not yet in service are 44511 and 44514 likely to be replaced?

Lewisham2221

Established Member
If there are still seven not yet in service are 44511 and 44514 likely to be replaced?
Possibly not - I think 7 is the difference between summer holiday PVR and full school/uni term time PVR, so could be that they're managing without them for the time being despite Omnicitys being withdrawn.

James101

I’ve not seen any forthcoming registrations to restore term time frequency to the 25 yet. Are they planning on maintaining a 15 minute service throughout this year? Could be some crush loadings and frustrations if any journeys are cancelled. It would however allow the Streetdecks to continue to backfill the loss of Omnicities on the 101 and the ex-Leicester Streetlites to trundle around in town work.

daodao

Established Member
I’ve not seen any forthcoming registrations to restore term time frequency to the 25 yet. Are they planning on maintaining a 15 minute service throughout this year? Could be some crush loadings and frustrations if any journeys are cancelled. It would however allow the Streetdecks to continue to backfill the loss of Omnicities on the 101 and the ex-Leicester Streetlites to trundle around in town work.
Revised timetables wef 17/9/23, with an enhanced 12 minute daytime weekday frequency on route 25, have now been put on the First Potteries website.

Established Member
It goes back to every 12 min on weekdays from the 17th. The new timetables are under the forthcoming tab on the website but don't worry the evening service has got worse on Saturdays with 1 of the 3 diagrams removed and non existent on Sundays after 1930. It could be that the service is registered with separate term/holiday times to save having to update it for every holiday.

James101

It goes back to every 12 min on weekdays from the 17th. The new timetables are under the forthcoming tab on the website but don't worry the evening service has got worse on Saturdays with 1 of the 3 diagrams removed and non existent on Sundays after 1930. It could be that the service is registered with separate term/holiday times to save having to update it for every holiday.
Thanks, must have missed that. So there’s still no obvious replacement for the Omnicities. The Streetlites are not a pleasant ride on express services and the ex Eclipse Enviros don’t have the capacity.