• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Stagecoach North West Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheHovisKid

Lakes Connection 10563, seen passing through Hest Bank heading towards Morecambe, this afternoon.

Can anyone confirm if the MMCs at Kendal/Morecombe have entered Service

Not impressed by the look of them, myself. The livery is nice enough (although it doesn't quite scream "Stagecoach" as it heads towards you) but the bodywork? The back of a bus is proverbial for its looks, so why try and make the front of the bus look like the back of a bus.....

And did they have to hide the front fleetnumber on the opposite side to the other newer stuff to confound you when you drive past one? That's cheating....

Last edited:

randyrippley

Established Member
A drive between Kendal and Cockermouth today showed five of the new fleet in service on the 555.
Interestingly, yesterday afternoon one of the wireless-fitted fleet used on Blackburn-Preston-Blackpool routes (not one of the Morecambe ones) was running south on the M6 motorway express version of the 555.
And earlier in the week, (Tuesday morning?) one of the green 555 fleet was running empty between White Lund and Lancaster. Any idea what the plans are for them?

KendalKing

Established Member
And did they have to hide the front fleetnumber on the opposite side to the other newer stuff to confound you when you drive past one? That's cheating....

I noticed today, that a number of the 125 Gold buses, don't have any fleetnumbers at the front.

one of the green 555 fleet was running empty between White Lund and Lancaster. Any idea what the plans are for them?

15724 has been use by Morecambe depot. A couple of weeks ago I saw it with a group of drivers onboard going around Kingsway Estate in Heysham, and couple days later, I saw it on the Estate in Carnforth.

Last edited:

darrenw29

Five of the ex 555 Scanias up at Carlisle for repaint. In the prep bay today was 22160 getting rubbed down for training livery

KendalKing

Established Member
What is Stagecoach playing at?

PC0002407/399 - STAGECOACH (NORTH WEST) LTD T/A CUMBERLAND MOTOR SERVICES, SECOND FLOOR, BROADACRE HOUSE, 16-20 LOWTHER STREET, CARLISLE, CA3 8DA
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Lancaster and Windermere given service number X55 effective from 23-May-2016.

PC0002407/400 - STAGECOACH (NORTH WEST) LTD T/A CUMBERLAND MOTOR SERVICES, SECOND FLOOR, BROADACRE HOUSE, 16-20 LOWTHER STREET, CARLISLE, CA3 8DA
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Windermere and Grasmere given service number X55 effective from 23-May-2016.

PC0002407/404 - STAGECOACH (NORTH WEST) LTD T/A CUMBERLAND MOTOR SERVICES, SECOND FLOOR, BROADACRE HOUSE, 16-20 LOWTHER STREET, CARLISLE, CA3 8DA
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Lancaster
Finish Point: Windermere
Via:
Service Number: X55
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 26-SEP-2016
Other Details: New service

PC0002407/405 - STAGECOACH (NORTH WEST) LTD T/A CUMBERLAND MOTOR SERVICES, SECOND FLOOR, BROADACRE HOUSE, 16-20 LOWTHER STREET, CARLISLE, CA3 8DA
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Windermere
Finish Point: Grasmere
Via:
Service Number: X55
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 26-SEP-2016
Other Details: new service

Brilliantbert

Only the long E300 replacements are 26xxx, the 10.8m E200MMCs are 374xx upwards....

Yes. As there's no E300 MMC, Stagecoach are continuing to differentiate between larger and not so large ones using the same numbering systems for the E200/E300. Quite possibly there are some depots in the country where driving a full sized bus as opposed to a 'midi' (and of course a mini) attracts different pay rates

Last edited:

ste898

Here in Carlisle we have had to to put up with new solo's for the past year

But now we are getting what can only be classed as scrap on wheels....even more solo's from all over the country

Are these sheds even roadworthy stagecoach?

randyrippley

Established Member
15725 was in Heysham on the X2 today around 6pm, despite still being in green livery with 555 branding.

Established Member
Steven Knight Media reports a number of fleet movements have taken place for SM&SL recently.

17021, 17113 and 17272 from Chester to Reserve.
17839 from Gillmoss to Reserve.
18154 from Reserve to Gillmoss.
27768, 27769 and 27771 from Gillmoss to Preston.
27772 from Gillmoss to Rock Ferry.
34744, 34745, 34780, 34782 and 34783 from Preston to Reserve.
34793 from Gillmoss to Chester.
36805-36807 from Chester to Rock Ferry.
37440-37444 are now for Chester.
47494 from Preston to Gillmoss.
47709 and 47713 from Chester to Rock Ferry.
47714 from Gillmoss to Chester.
47753 from SCNL to Gillmoss.

HTIOI.

childwallblues

Established Member
Steven Knight Media reports a number of fleet movements have taken place for SM&SL recently.

17021, 17113 and 17272 from Chester to Reserve.
17839 from Gillmoss to Reserve.
18154 from Reserve to Gillmoss.
27768, 27769 and 27771 from Gillmoss to Preston.
27772 from Gillmoss to Rock Ferry.
34744, 34745, 34780, 34782 and 34783 from Preston to Reserve.
34793 from Gillmoss to Chester.
36805-36807 from Chester to Rock Ferry.
37440-37444 are now for Chester.
47494 from Preston to Gillmoss.
47709 and 47713 from Chester to Rock Ferry.
47714 from Gillmoss to Chester.
47753 from SCNL to Gillmoss.

HTIOI.

Obviously out of date already.
27772 was in service from Gillmoss on the 10A on Monday
34744 was in service from Preston on the 111 last night.

Brilliantbert

Obviously out of date already.
27772 was in service from Gillmoss on the 10A on Monday
34744 was in service from Preston on the 111 last night.

I think these could be changes to come. Preston are going to need one less mini from 4th September when the 109B is withdrawn so would make sense 47494 moving then. I certainly haven't seen any of those mentioned E300s here yet, not that means they are not, but again in a few weeks the 111 is going to need possibly two buses less as the Earnshaw Bridge bit is withdrawn and it just does a (perhaps more sensible) single loop round Moss Side, which ties in with five Darts going and just three E300s arriving.

class17

I think these could be changes to come. Preston are going to need one less mini from 4th September when the 109B is withdrawn so would make sense 47494 moving then. I certainly haven't seen any of those mentioned E300s here yet, not that means they are not, but again in a few weeks the 111 is going to need possibly two buses less as the Earnshaw Bridge bit is withdrawn and it just does a (perhaps more sensible) single loop round Moss Side, which ties in with five Darts going and just three E300s arriving.

I am not surprised the 109B is being withdrawn, it just seems to have been routed to serve one single purpose, i.e. a bus service to the caravan park. I presume the subsidy must be too high. It seems a shame that it could not have continued to the local further education college in Leyland to increase ridership & income, and provide a useful service to the students. Perhaps a possible extension to Bamber Bridge from the caravan park and through to Preston on existing services that currently run Preston-Bamber Bridge-Preston. Thus adding additional links between Leyland and Bamber Bridge and the caravan park with a bus link to Preston. Although I would imagine this would have reduced the service to hourly, it would surely have been a more valuable service.

I can understand the reduction of services to Earnshaw Bridge to reduce costs of the 111, but it seems a shame that a loop by a selected few (hourly) 111 services could not continue through Earnshaw Bridge to Lostock Hall and thus provide a significant journey time improvement from Moss Side to Preston. The reverse Preston-Lostock Hall-Ernshaw Bridge would then continue back to Preston via Leyland. Difficult to diagram perhaps, but it would help reduce the ‘hunting in packs’ that occur on the return back to Preston.

childwallblues

Established Member

SJK always seems to be changes that have already taken place. It is a pity that it does not distinguish between the two.

KendalKing

Established Member
19145 on a late running service 5 in Carnforth this afternoon, makes a very nice change from the normal unreliable crap, which we normal get

Class20

I am not surprised the 109B is being withdrawn, it just seems to have been routed to serve one single purpose, i.e. a bus service to the caravan park. I presume the subsidy must be too high. It seems a shame that it could not have continued to the local further education college in Leyland to increase ridership & income, and provide a useful service to the students. Perhaps a possible extension to Bamber Bridge from the caravan park and through to Preston on existing services that currently run Preston-Bamber Bridge-Preston. Thus adding additional links between Leyland and Bamber Bridge and the caravan park with a bus link to Preston. Although I would imagine this would have reduced the service to hourly, it would surely have been a more valuable service.

The 109B is only a temporary service put in place until changes to the main 109 route could be processed, the 109 is being rerouted to cover the withdrawal of the 109B. The areas covered by the 109B were previously covered by the 118 Leyland-Blackburn route which was subsidised by Lancashire County Council and withdrawn when LCC reduced its bus route funding back in April.

The extensions you talk about would require funding as no operator would want to take it on commercially and, has been proven this year, the links would fail to work. Just look at the 112 and 114 routes which linked Preston, Bamber Bridge & Leyland. Both still funded by the council, the 112 is now Preston-Bamber Bridge only while the 114 is Leyland-Chorley only. The passenger numbers required to keep the routes working through didn’t exist and when they did it was free pass holders.

Your idea of running through to Runshaw College brings back memories of the shuttle service Fishwick provided for the three years I attended the college. Weirdly numbered as 999, there was no timetable as such, just one bus running at regular intervals throughout the day between the college and the Tesco store in the centre of Leyland. Started out with a fare of 20p which increased to 30p after the first year. Usual bus was a Leyland National though other bus types filled in when needed. As I’ve said, the route only lasted three years as it was only heavily used on wet days.

I can understand the reduction of services to Earnshaw Bridge to reduce costs of the 111, but it seems a shame that a loop by a selected few (hourly) 111 services could not continue through Earnshaw Bridge to Lostock Hall and thus provide a significant journey time improvement from Moss Side to Preston. The reverse Preston-Lostock Hall-Earnshaw Bridge would then continue back to Preston via Leyland. Difficult to diagram perhaps, but it would help reduce the ‘hunting in packs’ that occur on the return back to Preston.

The withdrawal of the 111 from Earnshaw Bridge is being covered by the rerouting of the hourly 113 Preston-Wigan route, its second rerouting this year following a change in route to serve Wymott Prison in April as a result of the 112 being cut back.

Status
Not open for further replies.