• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Thameslink/ Class 700 Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhigh

Established Member
Well, I finally had my first go on one of these today and basically agree with what others have said.

Negatives:
Doors took an age to open at St Pancras (I'm sure this is just temporary while they bed in though)
Ledge under window intruded into foot space - I saw several people resting their foot on it

Positives:
I found the seats comfortable
Very quiet
Air-con was fine
Information displays very good
Loads of space

Overall, I think from my first impression they're very good trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
The ledge is quite comfortable for feet so I expect everyone will use it.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

dannyboy104

not impressed - 26 years commuting Brighton to London

my experience..

no arm rests
no tables
no carpets
no individual lighting
no power sockets
driver announcements distorted

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I was on the 0832 south from St Pancras today. The regulars are definitely getting used to the new walk through trains - after arrival at City Thameslink there was a hefty stream of people walking through the length train to the rearmost door ready to get off 'first' at Blackfriars - must have been 20-25 people or so by my reckoning all clumped in the rear vestibule.

skyhigh

Established Member
One thing I did notice with the loading display is that in the end coaches it doesn't differentiate between standard and first. At one point in the end coach all the standard seats were taken with a couple of people standing, with first class almost completely empty, yet the display still said 'plenty of seats'.

It's by no means a big problem, although if I'd walked most of the way down a 12-car on the promise of a seat I wouldn't have been too impressed!

jon0844

Veteran Member
not impressed - 26 years commuting Brighton to London

my experience..

no arm rests
no tables
no carpets
no individual lighting
no power sockets
driver announcements distorted

Power sockets and seat back tables may be retrofitted. Not sure individual lighting is something I've ever used on trains with it (as in NEVER beyond just fiddling with the switch to see if they work!).

I also found the PA system fine, but you're not the first to mention issues so maybe there's an issue with the mic on some of them - or drivers aren't using them properly (but good design should make it near impossible for a driver not to be able to use something).

One thing I did notice with the loading display is that in the end coaches it doesn't differentiate between standard and first. At one point in the end coach all the standard seats were taken with a couple of people standing, with first class almost completely empty, yet the display still said 'plenty of seats'.

It's by no means a big problem, although if I'd walked most of the way down a 12-car on the promise of a seat I wouldn't have been too impressed!

It would help to show first class on the screens, including which end is declassified (as I assume has been on all services run so far?) to avoid that very problem.

It would seem the first class at the front of the train is always first, and declassified at the rear. I have no idea if that's always going to be the case? I'd have thought on the 12 car sets they could have it at both ends, while on the 8-car they may wish to keep one as standard?

Last edited:

Class2ldn

The door problem tends to be when we stop in the wrong place. Had one the other day and had no issues. Unfortunately the boards for stopping are confusing quite a few people.
It's suppose to be easy to override it but it seems it's not always giving the options like it's suppose to which is causing the longer delays.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It would help to show first class on the screens, including which end is declassified (as I assume has been on all services run so far?) to avoid that very problem.

It would seem the first class at the front of the train is always first, and declassified at the rear. I have no idea if that's always going to be the case? I'd have thought on the 12 car sets they could have it at both ends, while on the 8-car they may wish to keep one as standard?

First class hasn't been declassified on any of the trains I've used. Currently sat in the rear of one, and it is definitely not declassified either end.

And, my goodness, do these trains shift. From a standing start at West Hampstead we were doing 100mph before the north circular.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Interesting. On my four trips, one end was declassified on them all. For what it's worth, I paid for first class on all four so actually felt I'd paid unnecessarily!

The FC fare from London Bridge to Brighton is quite reasonable. How many off peak first class fares are there?

Class377/5

Established Member
Interesting. On my four trips, one end was declassified on them all. For what it's worth, I paid for first class on all four so actually felt I'd paid unnecessarily!

The FC fare from London Bridge to Brighton is quite reasonable. How many off peak first class fares are there?

How did you see them as declassified?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Yes, the screens say it. The perfect way to do it and something I'd asked about months ago - so someone must have been listening.

Last edited:

GodAtum

On Moderation
It's warning the first class ticket holders that the other lot will be joining them!

It's disgusting by declassify 1st class :-x There are many people with 1st class tickets especially during peak times.

D365

Veteran Member
Isn't it only on certain metro routes that first class will be declassified? Anyway I think you can get a refund if you have paid extra to travel on a declassified service?

Class377/5

Established Member
Isn't it only on certain metro routes that first class will be declassified? Anyway I think you can get a refund if you have paid extra to travel on a declassified service?

Don't confuse a declassified area with a declassified service, which is especially important if you've travelled in the wrong end of the train from the booked first class. Currently there are only declassified areas on the 700s. Its worth mentioning there are trains booked around the Wimbledon Loop with first class. Hint its the services to/from Bedford.

absolutelymilk

Established Member
Next weeks 700 diagrams:

(501)
5Y91 02+14 Jowett Sidings to Bedford
2W91 02.40 Bedford to Brighton
1B00 05.47 Brighton to London Bridge
1B05 07.12 London Bridge to Brighton
1B10 08.27 Brighton to London Bridge
1B15 09.42 London Bridge to Brighton
1B22 11.02 Brighton to London Bridge
1B25 12.12 London Bridge to Brighton
5B25 13+29 Brighton to Down Sidings
5B38 14+42 Down Sidings to Brighton
1B38 15.02 Brighton to London Bridge
1B41 16.12 London Bridge to Brighton
1B48 17.32 Brighton to London Bridge
1B51 18.42 London Bridge to Brighton
5W51 20+06 Brighton to Three Bridges Depot

(502)
5W93 05+10 Three Bridges Depot to Three Bridges
2W94 05.20 Three Bridges to Bedford
1W13 07.34 Bedford to Brighton
1W24 10.35 Brighton to Bedford
2W41 13.24 Bedford to Three Bridges
1W92 15.59 Three Bridges to Bedford
2W61 18.24 Bedford to Three Bridges
2W66 20.43 Three Bridges to Bedford
5Y68 23+00 Bedford to Jowett Sidings

(503)
5Y11 06+32 Jowett Sidings to Bedford
1W11 06.58 Bedford to Three Bridges
2W22 09.11 Three Bridges to Bedford
1W29 11.40 Bedford to Brighton
1W40 14.35 Brighton to Bedford
2W57 17.20 Bedford to Three Bridges
2W62 19.43 Three Bridges to Bedford
5Y62 22+00 Bedford to Jowett Sidings

(504)
5W02 05+07 Down Sidings to Brighton
1W02 05.30 Brighton to Bedford
2W21 08.24 Bedford to Three Bridges
5W30 10+41 Three Bridges to Three Bridges (shunt via Depot)
2W30 10.59 Three Bridges to Bedford
1W37 13.40 Bedford to Brighton
1W96 16.35 Brighton to Bedford
5Y96 19+03 Bedford to Jowett Sidings

(505)
5Y01 03+47 Jowett Sidings to Bedford
1W01 04.16 Bedford to Brighton
1W82 07.22 Brighton to Bedford
1W23 10.10 Bedford to Brighton
1W34 13.05 Brighton to Bedford
1W45 15.50 Bedford to Brighton
1W56 18.35 Brighton to Bedford
5Y69 21+14 Bedford to Bedford (shunt via Run Round loop)
1W69 21.40 Bedford to Brighton
5W69 00+25 Brighton to Down Sidings

So there will be an extra 2 diagrams in this next set of diagrams for the following fortnight, which is a similar rate as the trains are being delivered. Will this rate of introduction keep up? i.e. an extra 2 diagrams each fortnight as 2 new trains are delivered?

bramling

Veteran Member
I was on the 0832 south from St Pancras today. The regulars are definitely getting used to the new walk through trains - after arrival at City Thameslink there was a hefty stream of people walking through the length train to the rearmost door ready to get off 'first' at Blackfriars - must have been 20-25 people or so by my reckoning all clumped in the rear vestibule.

That doesn't bode well for quick dwell times. If disproportionate numbers of people choose to try and exit through the doors nearest the platform exit dwell time increases massively, especially if that happens to be the place on the platform where most people are waiting too if that's also the platform entrance. For a demonstation of how this can destroy dwell times, look no further than King's Cross WB Piccadilly Line in the morning peak, and see how the front set of doors takes way longer to unload/load than the rest of the train. The entrances and exits are not exactly spread out at most core stations.

Despite having reservations about these trains,. I have tried to take an objective viewpoint. Unfortunately I have found them to be *worse* than my expectations.

BAD POINTS:
- Seating is absolutely awful. Seats are hard and I found them extremely uncomfortable. Worse, I found the legroom in the airline seats to be tight, I simply couldn't sit in one without my knees being penned in against the seat in front. Meanwhile I found the window seats to be cramped - the ledge intruded into foot space and I didn't find it particularly comfortable to rest on it. The window seats would be even worse with someone sitting the aisle seat, let alone if that person was wide or with broad shoulders. On more than occasions I saw passengers sit in an airline seat, scoff and then go searching to find a facing seat.

- As I predicted, whilst the traction noise is fairly quiet, noise from other passengers seems to carry very heavily through the train. I could hear a crying baby 2 cars away. This seems as much down to the plastic nature of the interior as the walk-through design. As a side-issue there was also a lot more walking up and down the train, which after a time becomes irritating.

- No tables. My impression was there was a lot more rubbish on the floor and seats than I'd expect to find on an Electrostar or class 365, quite a few coffee stains visible despite being early in the day. I found the interior to be rather clinical, the harsh lighting and bland colour scheme, combined with lack of carpet, simply didn't produce a pleasant nor relaxing travel environment.

GOOD POINTS:
- The only good thing I see about these trains is their performance appears to be good and at least 4-car trains will be consigned to history.

I really can't see these trains being well received on the Great Northern side. Performance has already declined in the past year for various reasons. The introduction of class 700s will represent a decline in the standard of accommodation provided compared to the class 365s. The downgrade process will be completed with the railway starts importing disruption from the Midland, South Central and South Eastern areas. If this is the future then sorry but the tipping point has come when car is the preferable option (with GTR's recent performance this situation has already arrived at weekends).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
rules? I thought we were talking about twits who just push the buttons when not needed.

Amazing post.

So pressing a button marked "Open" when they desire to open a door makes someone a twit?

This might be so in some kind of trainspotter world where passengers are an inconvenience to the railway, but on the real railway this is not the attitude expected.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
If this is the future then sorry but the tipping point has come when car is the preferable option (with GTR's recent performance this situation has already arrived at weekends)/QUOTE]

For what journeys is car preferable ever on the GN? Really can't see how it can be into central London or Cambridge- and definitely not between the two.

Envy123

Rode one from City Thameslink to West Hampstead Thameslink.

I love the new PIS and the general cleanliness of the train, as well as the traction.

However, I found the seats to be uncomfortable. :(

bramling

Veteran Member
If this is the future then sorry but the tipping point has come when car is the preferable option (with GTR's recent performance this situation has already arrived at weekends)/QUOTE]

For what journeys is car preferable ever on the GN? Really can't see how it can be into central London or Cambridge- and definitely not between the two.

Hitchin to London for a start. Northern Line from High Barnet, Edgware or Mill Hill East is proving a more attractive option. Today in fact I achieved a faster door-to-door journey time by this means.

Indeed, at weekends, presently it's the *only* decent option, such is the current unreliability and unpredictability of the weekend GTR service.

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
Oh dear, seems some-one wants to repost stuff. Sad they feel the need to.

So there will be an extra 2 diagrams in this next set of diagrams for the following fortnight, which is a similar rate as the trains are being delivered. Will this rate of introduction keep up? i.e. an extra 2 diagrams each fortnight as 2 new trains are delivered?

No it doesn't. After 5 trains there will be a pause. Not for long tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.