• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New South Western franchise: Awarded to First/MTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Fair point, we do seem to have a lot more criticism of this compared to the Anglia total fleet replacement. Isn't there a redundant 321 upgrade programme taking place now as a result of that?

Well yes Indeed, and if the new West Midlands Franchise opts for some new trains instead of taking some of the cascaded EMU's to be available and/or gets rid of some of its existing newer EMU's then its going to get very interesting.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's a question of "the market" fixing problems which don't exist while ignoring those which do. It was the same with there apparently being no "business case" to replace life expired 142's before Patrick Mcloughlin took things in hand.

southern442

Established Member
Well firstly we don't actually have the full info in the public domain yet and will presumably have to wait to the end of the standstill period.

Secondly why is it a monumental balls-up First have presented a business proposition to run the SWT franchise, and the DFT have accepted that proposition as the best option, the fact that it may not include some new trains ordered by the franchise or the only recently extensively rebuilt 458's is frankly irrelevant.

Yes from a PR perspective it may not look good and it will interesting to see any First and DFT spin on this and what happens to these trains in the longer term, but then the same applies to Anglia franchise to some degree getting rid of relatively young 379 and 360's, but there are currently plenty of manufacturers who can churn out bog standard short to medium distance EMU's so if they can get a good deal on substancial or complete fleet replacement rather than just replacing the older units alone it probably makes a lot of sense from the TOC's perspective.

It just seems to me that we already had too much of the wrong thing, and now we are about to get a whole lot more of it. Plus from someone in South Central territory I'm a bit miffed that the only trains that were ever purpose built for Gatwick Express got sent away and we were left with increasingly inadequate trains, all for nothing now.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
As the 707s start to come into service (until their replacement enters service), freeing up units, could a 450 be freed up to free up the 159 that's used on the Lymington branch to operate the Portsmouth-Weymouth service?

How big a difference in cost would there be (in both cases with the single line section redoubled) between upgrading the 3rd power supply to be able to handle (in theory) 4tph to Weymouth or converting Poole-Weymouth to OLE?

158's and that's only 1 unit...Do they ever use 159's on it? Never seen one.

Established Member
It just seems to me that we already had too much of the wrong thing, and now we are about to get a whole lot more of it. Plus from someone in South Central territory I'm a bit miffed that the only trains that were ever purpose built for Gatwick Express got sent away and we were left with increasingly inadequate trains, all for nothing now.

Well I agree Its not ideal given the amount of work that been done on them if they end up sitting in a siding. To me I think it would have made more sense making some of the 450's more Intercity style with 2+2 seating for the Portsmouth route instead of digging up the 442's and keeping either the 707's or the 458's, but of course re-tractioned 442's and an all new suburban fleet may be the cheapest option for First/MTR.

southern442

Established Member
Well I agree Its not ideal given the amount of work that been done on them if they end up sitting in a siding. To me I think it would have made more sense making some of the 450's more Intercity style with 2+2 seating for the Portsmouth route instead of digging up the 442's and keeping either the 707's or the 458's, but of course re-tractioned 442's and an all new suburban fleet may be the cheapest option for First/MTR.

Agreed. They could have just ordered a load more 707's and put toilets in them which would free up the 450's too. Also, has there been any specification as to whether the coastal fleet need toilets or not? Could the 458's help out down there?

Personally I'm not complaining about the re-introduction of the 442's, although logically speaking there are more sensible ways to approach the problem.

TEW

Established Member
I have a photo of one being tested down there from 2009, but haven't heard of one being used in service.

I have heard of it once, back when the CIGs were still working the line. A 159 filled in one afternoon. It would have been around the time they were preparing to replace them.

Stow

I think people are getting far too worked up about the 707 issue; the market will respond, and indeed we still don't know what new stock First are buying, could be more 707's for all we know.

Matt Taylor

Established Member

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Make it a tram, self contained easy to look after one track two trams, jobs a goodun.

Exactly - they could the use the (somewhat expensive and very late in delivery) - Rotherham tram train technology / stock. Must be an option for a simple depot arrangemt at Brockenhurst. Job done.

GodAtum

On Moderation
The crawl into Waterloo as you say is almost entirely a result of the haphazard calling pattern from Woking where half of the traffic on the fast stops at Clapham and half doesn't. For example the XX21 from Woking runs fast to Waterloo but is timed to approach Clapham just two minutes behind the XX17 West Of England that calls at Clapham which is just completely unrealistic.

I hope any new timetable does not have any detrimental affect for commuters going from Clapham on the Portsmouth southbound in the morning.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
What class of stock (presumably either 444s or 450s) get used on the current Southampton Central-Portsmouth Harbour route?

The 458s have the disadvantage of not all of them being convertible in the future to AC which makes the 458 fleet in effect a pure DC only fleet.

embers25

Established Member
GWR also have plenty of padding on some of their runs. It isn't exclusive to SWT!

The padding at Reading now is nuts with trains often sitting 5 minutes at least in both directions. Swindon also has more padding so Bristol to London takes far linfer than it should.

infobleep

Veteran Member
This transcript has appeared elsewhere but page suggests that all out DOO isn't on the agenda and given the length of the franchise it would be a brave decision anyhow, but changes to how crew work appear to be on the horizon. Interestingly there's a comment regarding allowing child fares for 16-18 year olds towards the end of the document.

http://www.firstgroupplc.com/~/media/Files/F/Firstgroup-Plc/170327 FGP SWR transcript.pdf
I imagine the 16-18 year old fares will create some new splitting ticketing options for children of that age. After all I assume this only applies to fares set by South West Trains.

So more advances will be sold to and from other stations. Does anyone have any examples of destinations or starting places that don't currently have advances at all? Will they sell advances to stations not served by South West Trains? It was lack of advances between operating companies in the South East which partly drew me to split ticketing.

I also found the comments on passenger service and DCO interesting. It could be read as we don't think DCO provides good passenger service or read as, if we introduce it, it will lead to strikes, which won't be good passenger service.

I imagine it's the latter, although I'd prefer it to be the former.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What class of stock (presumably either 444s or 450s) get used on the current Southampton Central-Portsmouth Harbour route?
450s almost 100%. There is supposed to be one round trip in the SX morning peak (0623 from Portsmouth returning 0752 from Southampton) that is operated by a 444, apparently to release a 450 to strengthen mainline routes that need a twelve car.

I only say 'supposed to be' because I have never been up that early recently.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So more advances will be sold to and from other stations. Does anyone have any examples of destinations or starting places that don't currently have advances at all?
The SWT 'Advance fares' within their own network are fairly limited, origins towards London have to be from west of Brockenhurst and somewhere on the Exeter line. However the availability of Megatrain fares clouds the issue, because they are to a certain extent a special type of Advance, and you'd expect them to be immediately withdrawn.

So increasing the options for Advance might simply be a case of providing them as direct replacements for Megatrain fares, e.g. from Southampton Central to Waterloo.

pompeyfan

Established Member
450s almost 100%. There is supposed to be one round trip in the SX morning peak (0623 from Portsmouth returning 0752 from Southampton) that is operated by a 444, apparently to release a 450 to strengthen mainline routes that need a twelve car.

I only say 'supposed to be' because I have never been up that early recently.

There certainly is a 444 used on those journies, but from memory it's not the same unit, the 0623 ex pms bangs onto something and forms a Waterloo service.

HH

Established Member
The SWT 'Advance fares' within their own network are fairly limited, origins towards London have to be from west of Brockenhurst and somewhere on the Exeter line. However the availability of Megatrain fares clouds the issue, because they are to a certain extent a special type of Advance, and you'd expect them to be immediately withdrawn.

So increasing the options for Advance might simply be a case of providing them as direct replacements for Megatrain fares, e.g. from Southampton Central to Waterloo.

I think you'll find it will be rather more than that. There's also likely to a number of fare innovations based around "smart" ticketing. I say this based on how keen DfT were, and still are based on what's being said re South Eastern, for these things to happen.

Megatrain will be withdrawn because they are a Stagecoach product, not an SSWT one.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There certainly is a 444 used on those journies, but from memory it's not the same unit, the 0623 ex pms bangs onto something and forms a Waterloo service.

Oh right, so it would be better to just say explain it as one trip each way.

HH

Established Member
But my reply was solely in response to infobleep's question about Advance fares.

Same effect on passengers however it is explained.

1. And so was my reply.

2. It's not a question of how it's explained; it's a fact.

Let me make it even clearer what I'm saying, for the hard of understanding. First/MTR will offer more advance fares than SSWT and they almost certainly won't simply be replacing ones currently sold by Megatrain.

What is true is that the replacement is unlikely to be identical to Megatrain, so there are likely to be winners and losers.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
PPM shows both their own and NR performance; it has been bad over roughly the past year and particularly bad in Period 9; did they have a bad leaf fall, or was it something else?

P.S. Imagine how bad their performance might have been without the padding!

National PPM in 16-17 was the worst since 2005.

National P9 PPM was the worst in 158 periods iirc. Puts it all into context.

If they're serious about things West of Poole, then they need to do a power upgrade and redouble the single line section between Moreton & Dorchester South as that's biggest of the Weymouth lines Achilles Heels.

Doing both will make the line much better for capacity and resilience and TBQH the electrification was done on the cheapest budget that BR could afford to do and it shows.

Agreed.

Currently one small incident and the Weymouth services are in pieces.

TEW

Established Member

SWT have increased the number of places you can get Advance tickets from within the last year or so. They're now available from Salisbury/Southampton/Portsmouth to London.

pemma

Veteran Member
So South West Trains were committed to a capacity increaw by 2018 and First are committed by 2020. Were South West Trains being unrealistic?

Been reported by The Times that Stagecoach are discussing reducing premium payments for the East Coast franchise because their passenger grow is around 4% when their bid was based on growth being 8-9%. That might not have helped their SWT bid.

Slightly ironic considering they are licencing the Virgin brand name and Virgin successfully appealed the decision to award the West Coast franchise to First claiming passenger growth forecasts in their bid were unrealistic.

Last edited by a moderator:

HH

Established Member
National PPM in 16-17 was the worst since 2005.

National P9 PPM was the worst in 158 periods iirc. Puts it all into context.

It does. I knew it had been bad, but I didn't realise it had been that bad. Why has 16/17 been so bad - any particular reason or just blind chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.