• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Staff Bags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
My humblest apologies if this is something you have all covered a hundred times before, but after my rather odd spot here (thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=584932&page=1076) I just wondered what the deal with staff backpacks is?

Although I have never really thought about it before, I don't recall ever having seen a branded bag being carried by a driver or guard before. You'll just have to take my word for it, but it 100% said "First Capital Connect" on the back of it! Does FCC really give those ridiculous orange things to all of their staff? Or are they required for safety legislation? Or just a sort of 'uniform extra'? I think I remember seeing a driver wearing one when I was bobbling about on Thameslink, but I can't be sure. As I mentioned over there, Metrolink don't have branded bags.

Do you have to buy and use your own bag? Or are there standards to be followed? We've had the discussion about the multitude of things which need to be carried in them before, so I imagine its pretty important. I'm not sure I'd say I'm 'attached' to my rucksack, but on the (increasingly rare) occasions when I can go out without it, I now sometimes feel like I'm missing something!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tsr

Established Member
Southern seem to (increasingly) issue bags of a similar design to that FCC one, except that they do not have the orange panel (it's black instead). It has a tragically ugly version of their logo on it.

driver9000

Established Member
There are branded crew bags out there. I've seen branded rucksacks and the 'pilot' style bag. Personally I've never had a branded bag and I currently use a rucksack like the one in the link but without any branding and it was issued to me, before this I was using my own bag. I can't see a TOC not issuing a bag so there is no need to buy your own but some prefer to.

headshot119

Established Member
I've certainly seen London Midland drivers with branded bags, likewise for Freightliner.

westcoaster

Established Member
These were a short run of bags, and when I say that only 20 or so were done, all are now unbraded with either an orange back as shown or plain black. I honestly can't remember the last time I say one with FCC on it, southeastern also use these with branding on them.

pendolino

Southern seem to (increasingly) issue bags of a similar design to that FCC one, except that they do not have the orange panel (it's black instead). It has a tragically ugly version of their logo on it.

You're wrong there, Southern drivers' bags have the orange panel too. If you see someone with a bag with a black panel they are most likely a conductor or RPO.

Monty

Established Member
You're wrong there, Southern drivers' bags have the orange panel too. If you see someone with a bag with a black panel they are most likely a conductor or RPO.

This is pretty much how it is at SWT too, drivers get issued with orange panelled bags. The guards get issued one without (ie a 'black panel').

bronzeonion

High vis overkill is being overkilled to the point where bags cannot escape it! Smartest looking option for operational staff regarding bags imo are the ones you carry like a briefcase.

badassunicorn

I got issued one by my TOC (GA) which is just the plain orange one without any branding, I reckon some people tear off the orange bit so its less conspicuous when travelling pax

Class377/5

Established Member
There is generally a move away from branded ones as its cheaper to have a standard bag with no branding, especially for the larger owning groups.

Mines just plain hi vis one.

Flamingo

Established Member
I've yet to see a Hi-Vis rucksack that was either large enough for anything more than a HiVis vest, Bardic and flask, or was a better quality than what would be bought for £5 from a discount shop.

The one's I have seen are without exception seriously overpriced poorly designed and cheaply made rubbish.

GB

Established Member
We are issued with the same bags which are also branded. They may look a bit silly to some, but as someone above has said, no point putting your HV on only to then cover it with a dark bag.

A-driver

Established Member
I still have a mint condition (ie never used) still in its 'original packaging' southern branded orange rucksack. I've never used any company issue bags-they are always cheap, fall apart, uncomfortable, and too small. I just buy my own rucksacks.

Ill have to keep hold of that southern branded one as it may be worth a bit in eBay one day!

Established Member
The bags issued by London Overground are of a very inferior quality, in the 5 years since the company was formed i have had 8 of them!

I have got so sick and tired of having the bag replaced i have now reinstated my very last Brown Leather bag issued to me by British Rail just before i left Marylebone in 1993.

TDK

Established Member
All high viz vests & Hi viz bags "MUST" have the company logo on, it is a new rule so people on on near the line can be identified I think this came in to try and reduce the cable theft boom. So there is a valid reason why the company logo is on a Hi Viz rucksack and vest

Starmill

Veteran Member
Hahah! Well, they certainly don't look sturdy, but I wouldn't have thought they'd be that bad! Certainly they do look very small, I can't imagine you'd get much into one, especially with all that claptrap of the guard's. That said, the only thing I've ever seen a tram driver use any bag for is his in-cab picnic!

That laptop bag looks remarkably similar actually... just without the emergency ring pull things (don't really know what they are, but there is some orange writing about them on the straps).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
All high viz vests & Hi viz bags "MUST" have the company logo on, it is a new rule so people on on near the line can be identified I think this came in to try and reduce the cable theft boom. So there is a valid reason why the company logo is on a Hi Viz rucksack and vest

Well, it's being used incorrectly in this application! It doesn't look like these are 'controlled items' if they are letting people keep them.

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
Hahah! Well, they certainly don't look sturdy, but I wouldn't have thought they'd be that bad! Certainly they do look very small, I can't imagine you'd get much into one, especially with all that claptrap of the guard's. That said, the only thing I've ever seen a tram driver use any bag for is his in-cab picnic!

That laptop bag looks remarkably similar actually... just without the emergency ring pull things (don't really know what they are, but there is some orange writing about them on the straps).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Well, it's being used incorrectly in this application! It doesn't look like these are 'controlled items' if they are letting people keep them.

If you are issued with a drivers bag you need to sign for it and it actually belongs to the company!

WCMLaddict

Some time ago one TOC was giving out very large all hi vis orange "Ripsafe" backpacks. You could fill it in with enough documents to not be able to lift it up.
Now same TOC gives out backpacks almost identical to the one from the OP.

This is the big one that I presume was just too big. Laptop for size reference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 77

Rugd1022

The first Freightliner bag I was issued with fell to bits very quickly so I resorted to using my old EWS one for a while, which resulted in a right royal telling off for not having the correct company logo on my kit bag! The current all over orange FLR bag I have is much better, but occasionally I still like to use my old BR leather bag, which I've noticed quite a lot of FGW Drivers still use.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
The company issue bags are crap. Poor quality cheap materials and workmanship. They do not stand the use they have to endure on a daily basis not the weight they are expected to hold. I am sure they cost pennies to make in some Chinese sweat shop, but if having to be replaced every 4 months as in my case must be costing the companies more in the long run. Would it really hurt the TOC's to pay double the price for something that will last 4 times as long? Domestically we have the sale of goods and services act to protect consumers, we wouldn't stand for this poor quality out of burtons or tesco and damn right demanding our money back. Maybe it's about time our contracts managers did the same!

A-driver

Established Member

Still most don't though, and most drivers use their own bags. Plus most of our hi viz vests themselves don't have any company logos on at all.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Still most don't though, and most drivers use their own bags. Plus most of our hi viz vests themselves don't have any company logos on at all.

I can't think of any station staff round my way who wear plain hi-viz anymore? Even G4S have purple ones with "G4S working with Northern" or something like that on them!

Although I can't say I disagree about the bags lol

A-driver

Established Member
I can't think of any station staff round my way who wear plain hi-viz anymore? Even G4S have purple ones with "G4S working with Northern" or something like that on them!

Although I can't say I disagree about the bags lol

Station staff do as they are customer facing but they also rarely venture onto the track. I was talking about drivers with plain hi vis or some that have moved company still have their old companies logo on their hi vis.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Station staff do as they are customer facing but they also rarely venture onto the track. I was talking about drivers with plain hi vis or some that have moved company still have their old companies logo on their hi vis.

Ah yes I see :) I guess its just something else where "anything goes" - especially if these things have made their way onto a light rail network haha!

robby p

During the NXEA period I was issued a 'national express' branded one, ever since I've only been issued with unbranded. They may look unsightly to some but are a savour when walking a long way to the sidings.

As mentioned above about 4-6 months is the max before needed to be replaced, our managers never begrudge giving you a new one though as they know the score with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.