• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Scotrail "Scenic Stock" discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muzer

Established Member
It wasn't Modern Railways' plan, it was Angel Trains'. Modern Railways just reported it ;)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
With regards the steam train idea, there seem to be issues with track capacity. So here is an idea. Just make the steam trains a standard timetabled service, which anyone can board with a standard valid national rail ticket, just perhaps with enhanced dining facilities for the kind of people that partake of them on railtours.
Interesting idea. Does the Jacobite accept standard National Rail tickets (similarly, did the Cambrian Coast steam before ERTMS put a stop to it?), as it seems to be shown in the ScotRail timetable for the West Highland line?

I knew the 442s would be mentioned. And Not Going to Happen!
Converting them to DMUs or IC125-trailers I do not expect, but I really hope they find a future use (either as EMUs or push-pull convential LHCS, the driving vehicles in particular could be a good replacment for DVTs with ATW/GA).

How many diagrams are currently needed for all the lines the scenic DMUs will run? As Carlisle and Stranner seem to be included, I wonder if either the 158 or 156 fleet (48 units each) is big enough or whether some of both types will be required due to insufficient fleet size to have a uniform fleet of scenic DMUs.

I also wonder how much additional capacity is needed on the franchise and how many units can be cascaded elsewhere. 70 new EMUs and 27 IC125s is almost 100 extra trains for Scotland if they don't shed anything.

Last edited:

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
At risk of sounding overly optimistic, perhaps once the designs are known for the conversion of 158s, perhaps an add-on order for 10 or so units for Northern could be made for use on the S&C? Particularly if Abellio also retain the franchise and there's none of this 'no-growth' nonsense! :idea:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
With the new EMUs and the HSTs coming on stream, does this mean we could expect the entire Class 156 fleet to become free?
Especially if the 158s are required for these scenic duties.
The 170s will likely stay with Scotrail and everything will kick down with the 156s dropping into England?

WatcherZero

Established Member
Not sure we can really tell yet, TS prefers new stock and a young fleet however I believe the 170's are quite expensive to operate and if Abellios low fares strategy depends on cost efficencies it might be the 170's jettisoned.

Altnabreac

Established Member
With the new EMUs and the HSTs coming on stream, does this mean we could expect the entire Class 156 fleet to become free?
Especially if the 158s are required for these scenic duties.
The 170s will likely stay with Scotrail and everything will kick down with the 156s dropping into England?

The routes that may stay as 156 operation are Maryhill, East Kilbride, Barrhead and Shotts. I guess you could switch them to 170 operation but presumably the leasing costs would be higher and the line speeds and loadings wouldn't really justify 170s.

When those routes are all down for electrification in 2019 - 2022 or so you'd suspect they'll just keep using 156s until electrification.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
No, it requires a special designated ticket for the Jacobite.
Can you buy it on the train/station on the day? If not, I think its a bit dodgy putting it in the ScotRail timetable even though it does have a footnote about advising reservations.

How about 442's fitted with diesel engines?
Granted they will need a lot of work done, particularly around the vestibule area, but they have the luggage space sorted out because of their GatEx work, and they have a large capacity for the tourist season.

Sounds more like a job for a few Bo Ness Mk 1s. Top and tailed by a couple of
37s. No need to refurbish the coaches, the seats match the windows. Use at least one brake for the luggage and have a Mk 1 buffet in the set.

Sorted.

route:oxford

Established Member
Sounds more like a job for a few Bo Ness Mk 1s. Top and tailed by a couple of
37s. No need to refurbish the coaches, the seats match the windows. Use at least one brake for the luggage and have a Mk 1 buffet in the set.

Sorted.

Class 26s (or 27s) would be just as appropriate.

al.currie93

I don't think we can throw away any option as to what these scenic trains will be yet... this franchise seems to have been full of (nice) surprises, so anything could be used!

So far we've seen the HSTs given a new lease of life which most people thought would not happen, and a return of steam to timetabled services, which even fewer thought would ever happen!

Based on the fact that we can expect the unexpected, I feel it will be Class 37s hauling 2 Mk2s, one converted to have a little outside 'balcony' with a DBSO at the rear...

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Can you buy it on the train/station on the day? If not, I think its a bit dodgy putting it in the ScotRail timetable even though it does have a footnote about advising reservations.

I've seen them selling it before departure if there is capacity available, but next to the train not on the train - the Fort William ticket office doesn't sell them.

If you're thinking of trying to travel "on spec" I would advise against that and instead booking it in advance to be certain of travelling.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Scenic stock should be new build panoramic viewing coaching stock with a good buffet car and hauled by a locomotive with ETH capability and route cleared!

That may be what you'd want, but neither the ITT nor the winning tender specified that.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what happens. I didn't know (or at least remember!) that the franchise was up for renewal, so imagine my surprise when I learned of all the changes, promises and news!

Exciting times ahead of us in the next few years, especially when you combine the changes due on the sleeper services. With IEPs, the new Thameslink stock, the 387s, new Tube trains and more all coming in the next few years it seems now is a great time to really get onto the scene!

As for the 158s done to the Scenic Lines standard for the S&C as well, that sounds like a brilliant idea!

starrymarkb

Established Member
Scenic stock should be new build panoramic viewing coaching stock with a good buffet car and hauled by a locomotive with ETH capability and route cleared!

Or more realistically a Standard DMU with extra features for the tourists (ie roof windows etc). Then it can work normal services as well as the 'Scenic' services

Chris125

Established Member
Or more realistically a Standard DMU with extra features for the tourists (ie roof windows etc). Then it can work normal services as well as the 'Scenic' services

I've seen no mention of roof windows anywhere - I'm afraid I see no reason to think it will involve anything more than refurbished 158s, with an interior layout better suited to carrying tourists.

Chris

Helvellyn

Established Member
Class 158's make most sense - Look at the units as built, where all seats aligned with windows (and certainly SWT's still do). Even with a mix of facing and airline seats they align.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Class 158's make most sense - Look at the units as built, where all seats aligned with windows (and certainly SWT's still do). Even with a mix of facing and airline seats they align.

Did they? I'm fairly sure the WYPTE 10 have the original set up with seats, and there's definitely a few seats with a partial pillar.

Anyway I'm not sure roof windows are necessary, the sky is the same whether you're in Corrour or Cumbernauld. If an observation area was fitted, making the windows deeper would be more useful I'd have thought.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If an observation area was fitted, making the windows deeper would be more useful I'd have thought.

I concur. Now if we were doing Liege to Luxembourg, roof-top windows would be much more useful! That said they would also be useful on the Highland Main Line, it can take some doing to take a photo encapsulating the whole scene from a 170 on the most scenic bits of that line!

D6975

Established Member
I know that the 'scenic trains' are specified as part of the franchise agreement, but how many?
Is a route to go over completely, or will one train per day each way suffice, as used to happen on the Kyle line with the converted 101?
If it is one train per day requirement, then splitting/joining on the West Highland won't be an issue, the 'scenic train' will just do one return trip to Mallaig.

Last edited:

aylesbury

Perhaps Abbello could buy in a scenic unit built in Europe to our loading gauge this would satisfy the conditions of the franchise without having to carry out work on old rolling stock.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
E8m6OiW.png

Class 158s for most scenic routes, 'refreshed' 156s on Stranraer and Dumfries/Carlisle. 158s will have perfect seat alignment, WiFi, power sockets, CET, CCTV and will be fully PRM-TSI compliant.

http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=219

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Class 158s for most scenic routes, 'refreshed' 156s on Stranraer and Dumfries/Carlisle. 158s will have perfect seat alignment, WiFi, power sockets, CET, CCTV and will be fully PRM-TSI compliant.

http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/tiki-download_file.php?fileId=219
Link doesn't work for me (not a 404 not found, but a site-specific error). Any idea how many 156s and 158s will be retained an how many cascaded? Also odd that the 156s don't mention TSI-PRM compliance (surely mandatory) or perfect seat alignment.

cf111

Established Member
Link doesn't work for me (not a 404 not found, but a site-specific error). Any idea how many 156s and 158s will be retained an how many cascaded? Also odd that the 156s don't mention TSI-PRM compliance (surely mandatory) or perfect seat alignment.

Does this work?

Attachments

• Trade Press ScotRail Briefing 14 October 2014.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 202

Established Member
A 158 was pretty much designed for the seat layout shown in the document so getting a perfect seat alignment isn't particularly difficult in a 158, but you can not really say the same about the window arrangement on a 156. I'm a little surprised they are retaining 156's on the Dumfries route.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
Does this work?
Yes, it did. Thanks.

No mention of whether it will be 156s or 158s for the West Highland, but sounds like the first refurbished 158 will be launched alongside the borders railway next year.

Suraggu

IS based 158's are configured for Far North route including all seats lining up with windows and have plug sockets in First class so the WHL fleet will be was to refurb as its been done before, plus the low speeds along the Lin means they should cope rather well with the route.

Status
Not open for further replies.