• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

16-25 Railcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
On the Senior railcard thread it's been stated that you cannot buy one before your 60th birthday. Is this also the same for the 16-25 Railcard, or does the fact that you are paying more than child rate mean that you can actually get this railcard before your 16th birthday? The main reason I'm interested is whether the railcard can be used as proof of age for lottery purposes. If you can't get it early, then the online version with photo attached should be fine. I'd rather my son didn't have to take his passport every time he goes to buy a ticket at the moment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
For lottery purposes? I expect shop staff would only accept a passport, driving licence, or card with PASS hologram, and the Railcard doesn't have the latter.

I imagine you would not have any issues getting a 16-25 railcard if under 16, just some strange looks.

Badger

When I didn't have any ID as a kid I got a "Citizencard" online. It was free and has the PASS hologram so was accepted for most things.

cuccir

Established Member
In relation to the main ID question:

I doubt it can. Usually - from my experience of working in retail and behind a bar - ID has to include ON IT a photo and a birthdate. Things like uni cards, 16-25 railcard etc are usually not accepted.

There are generally two solutions to the ID problem. The first is to get a provisional drivers licence. These are probably the best ID bet for all teenagers as they're universally recognised, even if he is not intending to drive. I'm presuming that your son is a year away from that at the moment, but it might be worth looking into when he can get a provisional - you can apply three months before you are 17. They do have the downside of costing £50, but will also be recognised abroad more easily, if that's important.

The alternative is a 'PASS' accredited ID card, such as the citizencard. These are legally binding and so in theory these should be accepted by all retailers, but are obviously a little less common and some smaller retailers may not be so familiar with them - but they should be accepted nonetheless.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....Is this also the same for the 16-25 Railcard, or does the fact that you are paying more than child rate mean that you can actually get this railcard before your 16th birthday?.....

Railcards can only be forward dated when bought online, or when it is a renewal. The only reason it is done online is to make sure you get one year's use out of them (otherwise you could lose a week because of the postal service!), but I doubt online railcards can be purchased before you are old enough for them.

As for being ID for anything, probably not, atleast not officially.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I used to use my Young Person's as ID in pubs, but that was back in the days before selling booze to an under 18 was tantamount to selling nukes to the Taliban.

I'd agree with the suggestion of a PASS card; they're much cheaper (£15) than a provisional driving license (unless of course your son is planning to learn to drive, in which case the provisional is likely to be more use!).

lemonic

I am 18 and I got a provisional drivers license to use as ID even though I am not learning to drive. It costs £50 (as has been mentioned above) but does last for 10 years. The cost is steep but I think it is worth it as it is universally recognised and is pretty much guaranteed to be accepted. I used to have a county bus card that had a PASS logo but many places did not accept it despite it having the PASS logo, so I didn't want to buy a Citizencard in case it wasn't accepted.

Nym

Established Member
OK, off topic question, why do so many people on here have no intention of learning how to drive (and you can have a driving licence from 16 people!)

You can hold a P Licence from 16, or a full B licence if you're in receivership of full mobility alowance. (Higher Level DLA)

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

Age 16 you can also drive a vehicle controlled by a pedestrian, or a tractor less than 2.45m wide, or a lawn mower.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
OK, off topic question, why do so many people on here have no intention of learning how to drive (and you can have a driving licence from 16 people!)....

For me it's money, pure and simple.

Provisional licence: £50
Theory tests (car): £31
Practical tests (car): £62-£75

That's a minimum of £140 and it's before you account for lessons and actually getting hold of a car, insuring it, filling it up, etc, etc.

In comparison to travelling by bike or train (which is free (locally) for me) there simply is no reason to go to that expense.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
OK, off topic question, why do so many people on here have no intention of learning how to drive (and you can have a driving licence from 16 people!)

Age 16 you can also drive a vehicle controlled by a pedestrian

Probably because folk on here are more likely than the average to favour / believe in public rather than private transport. I personally have no desire to learn to drive as it seems to lead others to be stressed, I don't think I'd be particularly good at it, and I think it's a bad thing both environmentally and socially. I've not found it a particular hindrance in my over-a-decade of being eligible to drive.

Also, how does one "drive a vehicle controlled by a pedestrian"?!

Anyone know if you can?
Bit of a strange one..

The T&Cs seem pretty clear:
http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/buy-16-25-railcard/railcard-terms-conditions said:
Eligibility
You can get a 16-25 Railcard if you're aged between 16-25 or a mature student over the age of 26 and in full-time education. If you're aged 26 or over, you'll need to provide proof that your're a full-time student at a recognised educational establishment. You must attend for over 15 hours a week and for at least 20 weeks a year. You can either show an ISIC card or have the 'Mature students only' section of the application form completed and certified.
Whether or not this is followed by staff I couldn't say.

Lampshade

Established Member

Failed my test three times, money only goes so far before you just give up, especially the looming tax, MOT, insurance, maintenance that comes with actually owning a car.

Nym

Established Member
Am I allowed to be smug for passing first time on all three of my driving tests?

And no it wasn't luck, I have passed subsiquent driving examinations and observations before someone pipes up about that...

Railcard would not be a valid form of ID. I'd pay out for the provisional, I got a PASS card (citizencard) but absolutely nowhere accepted it (even with posters saying they did) so in the end I gave up and got a provisional license and threw my Citizencard away. It was one of the biggest wastes of £10 I've ever had!

Flamingo

Established Member
I love it when somebody opens a purse/wallet to get their child ticket out, and I spot the provisional licence sticking out. Nearly as good as the packet of fags or bottle of booze!

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I love it when somebody opens a purse/wallet to get their child ticket out, and I spot the provisional licence sticking out. Nearly as good as the packet of fags or bottle of booze!

Surely better, as you instantly can check their age using it if they continue to argue? :P

dvboy

Established Member
OK, off topic question, why do so many people on here have no intention of learning how to drive ...

I'm 28 and have no intention of learning to drive. Driving is prohibitively expensive for a lot of young people now, and driving lessons are expensive too.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Railcards can only be forward dated when bought online, or when it is a renewal. The only reason it is done online is to make sure you get one year's use out of them (otherwise you could lose a week because of the postal service!), but I doubt online railcards can be purchased before you are old enough for them.

When you buy one online you get a few days added on for free to account for the postage too.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks for the replies. I wonder what would need to happen for the online purchased railcard to be used as proof of age over 16. Bearing in mind that you can only get the first one by supplying a valid passport or driving licence number, which presumably are checked with the relevant databases, would perhaps including that number on the card be enough?

Anyway, hopefully the owner of the local corner shop will soon know who he is, and not be fussed whether he has ID every time.

Nym

Established Member
I'm 28 and have no intention of learning to drive. Driving is prohibitively expensive for a lot of young people now, and driving lessons are expensive too.

It did cost me about £1,200 to £1,500 to learn how to drive. But it was worth it, got many a job I wouldn't have been able to without it... pay nicely and nice work... Couldn't have gotten it without a driving licence.

island

Veteran Member
Thanks for the replies. I wonder what would need to happen for the online purchased railcard to be used as proof of age over 16. Bearing in mind that you can only get the first one by supplying a valid passport or driving licence number, which presumably are checked with the relevant databases, would perhaps including that number on the card be enough?

Anyway, hopefully the owner of the local corner shop will soon know who he is, and not be fussed whether he has ID every time.

Speaking personally, I would not accept a Railcard as proof of age, as I am aware of ways in which one can be obtained by someone not in the specified age range. (And no, I'm not posting how!)

34D

Established Member
Believe you can actually send off for your provisional car licence before your 16th birthday. Let's suppoose you are 16 on 31st Jan 2012 - you can send off any time, it will arrive back (say in dec 2011), and give you provisional motorcycle from 31 jan 2012 and prov car from 31 jan 2013.

To the people who don't drive - I would suggest that outside of London (and maybe the big cities too) will be considered negatively in recruitment - indeed there are many railway jobs that can't be done without a car (either your own, or to drive a company shuttle vehicle).

Besides, surely the ladies only go for the lads who can drive (or maybe that was just back in my day)?

dvboy

Established Member
Believe you can actually send off for your provisional car licence before your 16th birthday. Let's suppoose you are 16 on 31st Jan 2012 - you can send off any time, it will arrive back (say in dec 2011), and give you provisional motorcycle from 31 jan 2012 and prov car from 31 jan 2013.

Yes you can, I believe I sent mine off before I turned 17 and it was valid from my 17th birthday.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I know the cute lads go for the designated drivers and the men who can drive, especially around kicking out time...

Surely if we go down that route then being rich is more important? :lol:

You can then have your own chauffeur. Failing that, taxis are always an option.

I do agree that outside major conurbations, being able to drive can be an advantage in many jobs, although not always.

Nym

Established Member
Surely if we go down that route then being rich is more important? :lol:

You can then have your own chauffeur. Failing that, taxis are always an option.

I do agree that outside major conurbations, being able to drive can be an advantage in many jobs, although not always.

If I'm out, a taxi home is pushing £60...

And I don't have money, I'm the one smiling cutely at the guys in their mid 30s, need to have had a shave to be able to pull it off though.

Was a chauffeur for someone, free drinks all night, and free tutoring, yayyy doctors :D

And even in 'Greater Manchester', I still find myself needing a car sometimes.

Public transport doesn't line up and falls on it's backside after 7pm out to where I am, (25min wait for the bus).

ValleyLines142

Established Member
For lottery purposes? I expect shop staff would only accept a passport, driving licence, or card with PASS hologram, and the Railcard doesn't have the latter.

I imagine you would not have any issues getting a 16-25 railcard if under 16, just some strange looks.

The Railcard has the person's date of birth on it though so that will be ID won't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.