• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

180s To be or not to be that is the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody

According to "Modern Railways" magazine FGW is seekiing to retain its class 180s,Given that it has aquired extra HST sets to the cover 180 diagrams what will FGW use them on if they did.Maybe they could be used exclusively on say the west of England main line to Plymouth/Penzance running 10 car sets to Plymouth and splitting with 5 car sets running on to Penzance.The 180s seating would be much more suitable for the west of England than those awful commuter HST refurbs that are beginning to appear on FGW.Of course its only conjecture at the moment,any thoughts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

I suspect they're being forced to keep them as a result of the DfT having issues with other operators dumping sets in the sidings at Eastleigh in this period of "overcrowding".

Jordy

Established Member
Maybe they could be used exclusively on say the west of England main line to Plymouth/Penzance running 10 car sets to Plymouth and splitting with 5 car sets running on to Penzance

:shock:

That would be a big decrease in quality and comfort surely?! 180s are loud and vibrate a lot, plus working them in multiple causes problems, as the train manager gets stuck in one section - Ideal for faredodgers! Also, what about catering? Surely they wouldnt have 2 buffet things going at once?!

The 180s are good for some things, but IMO the Penzance service is not one of them!

Send 'em to TPE for the upcoming Manchester - Glasgow service!

Jordy

T

Tom

Jordy forgot one thing.

The magical 180 random fire system.

Buy your own 180 now! Comes with a free random and irregular fire!

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Send 'em to TPE for the upcoming Manchester - Glasgow service!

TPE seem to be too stubborn, and apparently only want to run 185s, but whether this will happen or not, who knows. I think some will probably go to Scotrail but we shall see...

Crompton Karl

I think they'll retain them and put them on the Fast and Semi fast Oxford services to capitalise on their top speed between Didcot and London. Therefore, freeing up valuable slowline capacity for the slower services. I thought FGW had already started doing this?

Karl :)

Turbostar

TPE seem to be too stubborn, and apparently only want to run 185s, but whether this will happen or not, who knows. I think some will probably go to Scotrail but we shall see...

Thought that was what the rumour was a while back if I remember. There was talk of them being transferred to FSR, for use on Glasgow/Edinburgh to Aberdeen.

Mart

1VWC

It's not 'TPE being too stubborn'. People seem to forget that it is the DfT who dictate who uses what stock, and where. It is no longer down to the TOC to simply say 'I'll have a new fleet of of xyz please". As for the fleet being split, it is not likely to happen.

The DfT are (and rightly so) getting very embarrased about the stories of all this perfectly useable stock being stored while overcrowding gets worse and fares go up. They are seeking to avoid this. Who say's the power of the media doesn't work?!

I had heard that a lease deal had been signed for the 180s once they leave FGW, but can't say any more. Suffice to say it didn't involve TPX or FSR.

devon_metro

Established Member
Its good that they are being kept, HSTs imo are totally in-appropriate for the Pad-Exeters, where the 180s are perfect. I would never travel by 180 from Paddington-Penzance. Its too long for the train.

Its a shame they can't go on CDF-PMH but when did fGW ever care about local services? I say enhance the timetable and keep the Exeter-Paddington 180s and use the HSTs for extra SW services, semi-fasts to Paignton/Plymouth. More trains generally means more passengers.

Daniel

Established Member
I had heard that a lease deal had been signed for the 180s once they leave FGW, but can't say any more. Suffice to say it didn't involve TPX or FSR.

Reminds me of a conversation I was once having with the TM of a Virgin Voyager...

Ascot

Established Member
aww would of been better if they we're given to Cross Country franshise, something to use on the Nottingham runs and that..

Established Member
Put 'em on Portsmouth - Cardiff services, we need something longer than a 2-car 158.

That would be genius! But it will never happen to First great Westerns thinking , although First great western could run a Service from Reading to Gatwick & Guildford It would be better then 165s and 166s , or they could save abit and then mordenise for Reading - Brighton trains to keep up with SWT ones! It would have to take Serious thinking but It would be good for all these and Pompey - cardiff maybe aswell how many are there?

thefab444

Established Member
Even so, there are 14, which I suspect is not enough to cover Cardiff - Brighton/Portsmouth services. The remainder of services would have to be formed 4 158.

Brighton - Reading services under SWT are either going completely, or being curtailed to Portsmouth, can't remember which.

A Southampton - Swansea service would be interesting though, seeing as the problem lies at Fareham so I'm told. "Limited-ish" stops, say: Southampton, Salisbury, Warminster, Westbury, Bath Spa, Bristol Temple Meads, Newport, Cardiff Central, Port Talbot Parkway, Neath and Swansea.

devon_metro

Established Member
Even so, there are 14, which I suspect is not enough to cover Cardiff - Brighton/Portsmouth services. The remainder of services would have to be formed 4 158.

Brighton - Reading services under SWT are either going completely, or being curtailed to Portsmouth, can't remember which.

A Southampton - Swansea service would be interesting though, seeing as the problem lies at Fareham so I'm told. "Limited-ish" stops, say: Southampton, Salisbury, Warminster, Westbury, Bath Spa, Bristol Temple Meads, Newport, Cardiff Central, Port Talbot Parkway, Neath and Swansea.

Trowbridge? I don't think Jim would be happy.

There are plenty of units for that though. 14 would warrant a half hourly frequency! Not that there is capacity at Soton to cater for more trains.

T

Tom

There is capacity for a half hourly service from Southampton towards Westbury onwards, but not between Soton and Fareham.

David

Established Member
Jordy forgot one thing.

The magical 180 random fire system.

Buy your own 180 now! Comes with a free random and irregular fire!

Once again, you've got it all wrong. :roll: It was not a fire. It was an unfortunate combination of smoke and flames that gave the appearence of a fire.

Those who are on the WNXX forums will know what I'm on about.

devon_metro

Established Member
They are fine for the Exeter stoppers. You can't just leave Trowbridge of Warminster standed, I would see them stop at all currently served stations.

thefab444

Established Member
They are fine for the Exeter stoppers. You can't just leave Trowbridge of Warminster standed, I would see them stop at all currently served stations.

Romsey, Salisbury, Warminster, Westbury, Trowbridge, Bradford-on-Avon, Bath Spa, Oldfield Park, Keynsham, Bristol Temple Meads, Filton Abbey Wood, Patchway, Severn Tunnel Junction, Newport, Cardiff Central, Bridgend, Port Talbot Parkway, Neath and Swansea.

Some of the Pomp - Card services stop at Keynsham etc. so we must make the Swansea services stop there. Not sure if any stop at Freshford, Avoncliff, DILTUN MARRRRSH, Dean or Dunbridge, or is that just slow services?

Status
Not open for further replies.