• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

19 Year Old Trainee train driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello chaps,

Was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way of a 19 year old of getting into a trainee position for a train driving job, I've been told by London Midlands that I'd have to be 21 but if any one knows any other way of doing it, I'd be interested.

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

red2005

Can't imagine this being possible if i'm totally honest mate........I'm not sure if any Toc's do graduate'apprentice scheme's in relation to driving but i'm sure there would have been something on here if there was.

Fingers crossed for you.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
just noticed on another feed London underground are after drivers 18 years and above....well worth a try as this is very rare.

I don't live near London so I wouldn't be able to do it.I will have to wait for the trainee schemes to open again and try anyway.

Dave999

I think if you get through the application stage you would have a chance, over the next 2 years look at hobbies/jobs you could get involved with that would assist you in gaining experience in safety procedure, following rules etc. Doesn't have to be safety critical but it helps, I used examples from over 10 years ago when I was a postman.

Good luck and it's a great to have a career goal from the age of 19, I remember not knowing what I wanted to do!

I was looking in to Eddie stobart driving hgvs as well, anything big and dirty diesel will do hahaha but for a big company they don't like to reply. Would being an apprentice be any better if I can find anything?

driver9000

Established Member
The minimum age for driving trains on the national network is 21 years. That is standard for all operators. Depot drivers can be aged 18 as can London Underground drivers. You can begin your training aged 20 but must be 21 before you take charge of a train as a qualified Driver. I started aged 23 as a trainee driver having passed my PCV test aged 18.

Good luck!

Jonfun

Established Member
On an aside - does anybody know *why* the minimum age to drive trains is 21? Is it just a throwback to the days when you'd start as a secondman at 18 and need a minimum of three years experience before moving up to driver or something like that?

rjholt

Vacancies appear to be as rare as purple squirrels. I even offered to take a career break and train for free but most said no. (I appreciate there is an internal cost to train but at least there wouldn't be a salary to cough up)

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You could also consider station based positions and I believe that some TOCs may consider you for conductor roles. These will offer experience of safety critical work, and could assist you in getting a drivers position in the future.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Vacancies appear to be as rare as purple squirrels. I even offered to take a career break and train for free but most said no. (I appreciate there is an internal cost to train but at least there wouldn't be a salary to cough up)

There is a saying I've heard banded around a lot "Pay peanuts, you get monkeys". For years the driving grade paid relatively poorly, but now it is seen as a profession and commands very good wages. As a result higher and higher calibre candidates are being attracted to the job and the TOC's have the luxury of picking and choosing the best candidates. It's not about how much it costs to train you as that is all budgeted for (even though it's a very considerable cost) it's about whether you stand out as on of the best applicants. If people start getting accepted because they can afford to train for free then eventually that will become the norm. It then won't be that you are the best candidate, it will be that you are able to support yourself without pay while training. I hope it never happens that people are accepted based on offering to train for free as it would set a president.

d_kingscott

Hello chaps,

Was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way of a 19 year old of getting into a trainee position for a train driving job, I've been told by London Midlands that I'd have to be 21 but if any one knows any other way of doing it, I'd be interested.

Cheers

mmmmmmmm... No. I'd suggest another role, maybe a CSA or trainee guard, then apply internally. Until then I'm afraid it's back to the Hornby! :lol:

neilb62

On an aside - does anybody know *why* the minimum age to drive trains is 21? Is it just a throwback to the days when you'd start as a secondman at 18 and need a minimum of three years experience before moving up to driver or something like that?

Not too long ago (70's) it was 23 and I remember some 'old boys' telling me the GWR had it at 30 for minimum driving age. I started at 16 as a secondman in '79 so did four and a half years then my six month driving course (MP12) and passed out at 21 and 3 months.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I don't live near London so I wouldn't be able to do it.I will have to wait for the trainee schemes to open again and try anyway.
This statement stood out to me. The correct information has been given, but the OP has chosen to ignore, and press on regardless.

Not a good character trait for a prospective driver. Much greater maturity required.

Get yourself out into the workplace (No mention of employment to date?), get some life experience and some responsibility on your CV. If no other employer will trust you with the latter, the railway isn't going to look at you for a direct entry trainee driver position of any type. School leaver entrant jobs do exist on the railway, CSA etc, but remember that there is no guaranteed line of promotion to Driver from there.

Met Driver

Established Member

It's based on "an assessment of risks as well as legal opinion" according to the RSSB, although the group standards do permit driving prior to 21 years of age while training. No doubt it will be challenged one day, as the european train driver licencing directive permits domestic driving from 18 and international from 20.

headshot119

Established Member
The minimum age for driving trains on the national network is 21 years. That is standard for all operators. Depot drivers can be aged 18 as can London Underground drivers. You can begin your training aged 20 but must be 21 before you take charge of a train as a qualified Driver. I started aged 23 as a trainee driver having passed my PCV test aged 18.

Good luck!

Aren't Merseyrail also 18 for drivers? Or has that changed recently.

Johncleesefan

I would think it a very rare set of circumstances to employ someone that age. Its the legal age to drive a train but cant see someone that age having what an operator wants (except in certain circumstances) I'm 26 and by far one of the youngest I know. I would not of being ready mentally at all at 19 and certainly not have experience.

TDK

Established Member
Hello chaps,

Cheers

No chance, you can apply only if after training you have passed your 21st birthday on pass out. So in reality you can apply when 20 years and 3 months but to be quite frank I cannot see you landing a job unless you have the prior experience required in the fields you nee to get the job!

455driver

Veteran Member
No chance, you can apply only if after training you have passed your 21st birthday on pass out. So in reality you can apply when 20 years and 3 months but to be quite frank I cannot see you landing a job unless you have the prior experience required in the fields you nee to get the job!

How is he going to get his hours in if he is only 20?

Gemz91

Think that just makes you sound desperate to be honest. Can see why they didn't accept your offer. Not even to mention that you might not have had the relevant experience to be train driver.

As for the OP, I'd say spend a few years getting some experience in life before worrying about becoming a driver, make sure you have the right skills and experience, before you get to drive something "big and dirty diesel".

matt_world2004

Established Member
There are some very young drivers on the Piccadilly line I believe they came from the armed forces though and were hired through a special scheme.

-Rob

How is he going to get his hours in if he is only 20?

You can drive trains supervised at 20, on the provision that once you've passed out as a Qualified Mainline driver you're 21+

I started my training at 20, so it is possible for us younger ones to become drivers.. You've just got to be what they're looking for (which is near enough impossible)

TDK

Established Member
You can drive trains supervised at 20, on the provision that once you've passed out as a Qualified Mainline driver you're 21+

I started my training at 20, so it is possible for us younger ones to become drivers.. You've just got to be what they're looking for (which is near enough impossible)

Rob, you are in the minority and must have had the attributes required for the job and to be fair that at your age when getting the job is quite a rarity and something you should be extremely proud of!

class 9

You cannot drive unaccompanied until you are 21. I passed for driving when I was 20y 9 months, I then had 3 months of road learning. Drove my first train alone on my 21st birthday! This was back in the days of Regional Railways.

Dieseldriver

I applied age 19 and celebrated my 21st birthday on my rules course. I would stress though that I was extremely fortunate and lucky! Apply by all means, if anything for the experience but bear in mind that it is a long shot at such a young age. Good luck though :)

BTU

I have an idea you are 19 years old go out and enjoy your life travel the world and have a blast when you get bored and need a job come back and apply for the job you want not the job you think you might want.While train driving does pay well so do a lot of trades like plumbing,gas,carpentry give any of them a go then at least you have choices in life,if you do become a train driver and hate it then you can jack it in and do something else equally well paid and not have to get stuck in a job you hate and become a miserable git like some if the people I work with.Good luck.

SPADTrap

Established Member
I have an idea you are 19 years old go out and enjoy your life travel the world and have a blast when you get bored and need a job come back and apply for the job you want not the job you think you might want.While train driving does pay well so do a lot of trades like plumbing,gas,carpentry give any of them a go then at least you have choices in life,if you do become a train driver and hate it then you can jack it in and do something else equally well paid and not have to get stuck in a job you hate and become a miserable git like some if the people I work with.Good luck.

This is some strange advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.