• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1K05 0842 Derby-Crewe

Status
Not open for further replies.

anti-pacer

Established Member
Does anyone know what stock usually operates on this particular EMT service?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Most Derby-Crewe services have been operated by single 153 units since about 2008. However, Class 156 and 158s do appear from time to time. As it's a morning peak service, the TOC might (strong emphasis on might) provide extra capacity in the form of a 156. But basically it's most likely to be a 153.

LowLevel

Established Member
It's booked a 153. Nothing else tends to appear unless there's an event or similar as it's the back working of the 153 that stables at Crewe overnight.

the101

The journey about an hour before the one mentioned was the subject of some outrage in what passes for Stoke's local rag a while ago, in which it was described as regularly leaving people behind at Blythe Bridge as a class 153. I'd imagine that if there were any spare two-car units that they would thus be allocated to the 0740, although the paper's editor could not understand why EMT did just not go and buy an additional carriage despite having quoted a spokesman's explanation why in the article...!

Two-car trains appear to be very common on a Sunday afternoon and I have noticed that a 158 may drop on to a late afternoon diagram in the week, starting with the 1742 from Derby. It seems to work one and a half round trips and stable at Crewe.

LowLevel

Established Member
On weekdays the 0607 and 1907 Crewe - Derby, 1742 and 2040 Derby - Crewe are booked 158s. Everything else is booked 153 except on a Friday when things vary a bit, Saturdays and Sundays are subject to sporting events and engineering work.

TC60054

Two-car trains appear to be very common on a Sunday afternoon and I have noticed that a 158 may drop on to a late afternoon diagram in the week, starting with the 1742 from Derby. It seems to work one and a half round trips and stable at Crewe.

This runs off an ex-Liverpool service, albeit indirectly.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
The journey about an hour before the one mentioned was the subject of some outrage in what passes for Stoke's local rag a while ago, in which it was described as regularly leaving people behind at Blythe Bridge as a class 153. I'd imagine that if there were any spare two-car units that they would thus be allocated to the 0740, although the paper's editor could not understand why EMT did just not go and buy an additional carriage despite having quoted a spokesman's explanation why in the article...!
It's got a little bit quieter on trains I've worked that way since barriers were installed at Stoke on Trent, most of the college students now either buy a season ticket or have their fare ready for collection. The rest presumably now catch the bus because it's cheaper, as you've now got to pay for the train.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It's got a little bit quieter on trains I've worked that way since barriers were installed at Stoke on Trent, most of the college students now either buy a season ticket or have their fare ready for collection. The rest presumably now catch the bus because it's cheaper, as you've now got to pay for the train.

Ah poor students having to pay out money for the train due to the barriers at Stoke, just where did I put my little violin? :lol:

On a brighter side, I would imagine the next usage figures could show an upturn in usage for those two local shacks either side of Stoke due to increase ticket sales.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
On weekdays the 0607 and 1907 Crewe - Derby, 1742 and 2040 Derby - Crewe are booked 158s. Everything else is booked 153 except on a Friday when things vary a bit, Saturdays and Sundays are subject to sporting events and engineering work.

The 06:07 usually carries on to Nottingham too. They usually announce it on the train, and everyone stays on. Not sure why it isn't timetabled for that, guess it means they can swap unit at Derby if required.

When a major event is on, we have even had (at weekends) a 4 coach Meridian!

alex17595

I use the line a lot (Because it avoids the XC rip off from Burton on Trent) and I find there being at lot less 153s than there used to be. Although I get the first train from Tutbury towards Stoke and one of the last two trains back.

There is a right mix on event days, I think I recall a 2x 158, Meridian and 3 X153 operating on race days. Do meridians block the LC at Blythe bridge?

Rob F

Why are trains on this line generally class 1 passenger trains when, for example, the much busier and longer distance LM services on the WCML tend to be class 2?

ROB

sd0733

Established Member
Why are trains on this line generally class 1 passenger trains when, for example, the much busier and longer distance LM services on the WCML tend to be class 2?

ROB

Pretty much all the lm through alsager are class 1 too. It's to do with how the signalling is set up at alsager. Not sure of the finer details but if a class 1 comes in the barriers can be lowered earlier and you come in on green signals, with a class 2 you come in on caution aspects (red/yellows) as the barriers can't be put down until the final approach so adds time.

GW43125

Established Member
Pretty much all the lm through alsager are class 1 too. It's to do with how the signalling is set up at alsager. Not sure of the finer details but if a class 1 comes in the barriers can be lowered earlier and you come in on green signals, with a class 2 you come in on caution aspects (red/yellows) as the barriers can't be put down until the final approach so adds time.

Didn't the LM Crewe used to run as 2Uxx when they ran via Northampton? I thought they only changed to 1Uxx when they started going via Weedon instead.

Tomnick

Established Member
I've heard that from a couple of other sources too. If it's correct, then it sounds like a really really badly written instruction (or agreement with the local council?). A train booked to stop at Alsager is a train booked to stop at Alsager. Whether it's running as a class 1 or a class 2 doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to its timings whilst doing so. It's farcical to think that everything calling there has had to be changed to run as a class 1 for that reason alone.

sd0733

Established Member
I've heard that from a couple of other sources too. If it's correct, then it sounds like a really really badly written instruction (or agreement with the local council?). A train booked to stop at Alsager is a train booked to stop at Alsager. Whether it's running as a class 1 or a class 2 doesn't make the slightest bit of difference to its timings whilst doing so. It's farcical to think that everything calling there has had to be changed to run as a class 1 for that reason alone.

It does seem very very odd to be honest. We work 2 class 2 trains through alsafer with 2u21 and 2u23 from Northampton and those 2 always always come into alsager on yellows whereas everything else is class 1 and comes on greens.

It seems to make a mockery of the class 1 train though having a 75mph all stations 153 as a class 1 to be honest.

craigybagel

Established Member
Didn't the LM Crewe used to run as 2Uxx when they ran via Northampton? I thought they only changed to 1Uxx when they started going via Weedon instead.

No, they were still 1Uxx when they went via Northampton. There were some exceptions, for example on a Sunday night there used to be a service from Crewe that was almost all stops all the way down and that was a 2Uxx, probably still is.

sd0733

Established Member
No, they were still 1Uxx when they went via Northampton. There were some exceptions, for example on a Sunday night there used to be a service from Crewe that was almost all stops all the way down and that was a 2Uxx, probably still is.

That's the 19:37 on a Sunday, still all stations but it's totally different headcode it runs as 2Nxx can't remember the last bit. It basically picks up the path of a Northampton stopper beyond there so runs in the headcode of.one of those.

craigybagel

Established Member
That's the 19:37 on a Sunday, still all stations but it's totally different headcode it runs as 2Nxx can't remember the last bit. It basically picks up the path of a Northampton stopper beyond there so runs in the headcode of.one of those.

Ah yes, that's the one. In my station staff days we used to have fun announcing all the stops on that one <D

louis97

Established Member
It does seem very very odd to be honest. We work 2 class 2 trains through alsafer with 2u21 and 2u23 from Northampton and those 2 always always come into alsager on yellows whereas everything else is class 1 and comes on greens.

The class 1s all seem to come into Alsager when an EMT is due through in the other direction, so makes sense for them to come in on greens.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I understood it was to do with pathing them Derby-North Staffs and Stoke - Kidsgrove, that they were being overlooked in favour of other later running trains and subsequently getting incredibly late. Does it stem back from when they were ManAir-Skegness through services?

sd0733

Established Member
I understood it was to do with pathing them Derby-North Staffs and Stoke - Kidsgrove, that they were being overlooked in favour of other later running trains and subsequently getting incredibly late. Does it stem back from when they were ManAir-Skegness through services?

It only went to class 1 a few years ago when it was already just a Derby to Crewe shuttle. They still are always held at Stoke for late running VT and XC services, the very very slow turnout at Stoke doesn't help its 15mph IIRC.
One thing which in my opinion would help with capacity between stoke and kidsgrove would be to have given the longport call to lm rather than emt. A 350 has much better capacity and acceleration and already has standing time at Stoke southbound and kidsgrove north bound so would easily get bac
Back onto its booked path and save a couple of minutes on the 153 wheezing and grinding back to speed.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
It only went to class 1 a few years ago when it was already just a Derby to Crewe shuttle. They still are always held at Stoke for late running VT and XC services, the very very slow turnout at Stoke doesn't help its 15mph IIRC.
One thing which in my opinion would help with capacity between stoke and kidsgrove would be to have given the longport call to lm rather than emt. A 350 has much better capacity and acceleration and already has standing time at Stoke southbound and kidsgrove north bound so would easily get bac
Back onto its booked path and save a couple of minutes on the 153 wheezing and grinding back to speed.
Not a good move from a passenger perspective, there are quite a number of passengers from Uttoxeter, Blythe and Longton to Longport.

HLE

Established Member
Saw a 156 on this route on Thursday at Tutbury as I was passing through.

Class 170101

Established Member
Not a good move from a passenger perspective, there are quite a number of passengers from Uttoxeter, Blythe and Longton to Longport.

Why not allow both LM & EMT to stop there if they want? LM already stop at Longport if EMT are affected by engineering works. However I think its four cars of Class 350 maximum at this station.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Why not allow both LM & EMT to stop there if they want? LM already stop at Longport if EMT are affected by engineering works. However I think its four cars of Class 350 maximum at this station.

I have no idea why LM are so opposed to stopping there, but they are. Passenger useage figures were roughly the same as Alsager before LM stopped there, and that has grown, so I dob't see why Longport would not. But LM simply won't. Northern only stop in one direction!

TOC's are then wondering why they aren't making enough money! Maybe running trains for passengers would help!

Not every train can call everywhere obviously, but stopping in one direction only is never helpful. LM trains sit for 5 minutes in Stoke anyway, so there is no pathing or timetable issue, it is just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.