• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3000 applicants so far for TPE trainee dvr jobs!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kayla101

Kayla...have you emailed HR yet ?

Lanc

Yeah, I emailed them and then later I spoke to central resourcing team yesterday who advised that the results haven't been added to the system yet, so they aren't showing on my record. Would love to know where I went wrong!

Lanc688

Yeah, I emailed them and then later I spoke to central resourcing team yesterday who advised that the results haven't been added to the system yet, so they aren't showing on my record. Would love to know where I went wrong!

Kayla,

In your shoes, I would wait until they had put the data on to the database and ask again.

If TPE are unable to advise you further then I would go to OPC, if they were the ones used for the tests.

I would hope that you would be able to get some good feedback from at least the holders of the database whoever they are (OPC should be able to tell you) and don't forget that the Data Protection Act 1988 should entitle you to see any info that is held on yourself if it all becomes 'difficult'.

Good luck and keep us updated on how you get on.

Lanc

kayla101

Thumbs down for me as well. I was a little surprised as I genuinely though I'd done quite well; though obviously I have no idea whether I missed the mark by millimetres or miles!

Hopefully can succeed after 6 months; meanwhile best of luck to those who remain in the process!

I too wonder this! Did you receive this passage "...you have not been successful in meeting the required industry standard..."

Manctrain

Congratulations to everyone who got through the assessments and commiserations to those who missed out. A quick question for the people attending next week; what venue have you been given? Feels like we are doing a tour of Manchester!

Shrimper

I too wonder this! Did you receive this passage "...you have not been successful in meeting the required industry standard..."

Yep, exactly the same. It also states they would be happy to receive an application from me in the future; which could be either a standard phrase or it could hint at how I did. Who knows?! Anyway; I've marked 6 months in my diary:lol:

TheVicLine

Congratulations to everyone who got through the assessments and commiserations to those who missed out. A quick question for the people attending next week; what venue have you been given? Feels like we are doing a tour of Manchester!

Bridgewater House on Friday 28th which I think is the same place as the first assessment (Solar powered train one).

Manctrain

Bridgewater House on Friday 28th which I think is the same place as the first assessment (Solar powered train one).

Thanks vic. They must be using different venues on different days. I am going on Thursday to Freemasons Hall. My fault finding text was done at a hotel and the OPC tests at bridgewater.

graycam25

does anyone else have the reaction test on the 11th oct? ... not looking forward to this part at all :(

GB

Established Member
I think you probably print off the PDF file and "pretend" to press the buttons. Trouble with this is you don't get a measure of how your doing and how you can improve.

graycam25

I think you probably print off the PDF file and "pretend" to press the buttons. Trouble with this is you don't get a measure of how your doing and how you can improve.

yeah fair point GB but at least it gives a really good idea at speed and what to expect etc.... maybe combine this with something like bop it?

if anything it gives an appreciation of whats to come..

Beveridges

Established Member
The whole point of it is to increase your speed while remaining accurate. Practice it for long enough and you'd be able to hit the pretend buttons without looking and it will become as easy as typing on a keyboard.
Clearly it does not tell you your performance but you get a good idea when you make a mistake yourself without a program needing to tell you.
The practice test reaches a much faster speed than the real one.

karlbbb

Hi all,

Is anyone else still 'awaiting shortlisting'? I applied on the 8th Aug, so quite late in the listing. A bit disheartened to see people have already sat the assessments.

doubleamber

A lot of people have already had there "not met the criteria" letter , so you might be on the next wave of applications. Good luck anyway .

k_123

Hi all,

Is anyone else still 'awaiting shortlisting'? I applied on the 8th Aug, so quite late in the listing. A bit disheartened to see people have already sat the assessments.

Yep, I applied on the 7th Aug & my application status still says 'Awaiting Shortlisting'. Like they say, no news is good news so here's hoping we hear something soon!

Good luck.

Silv1983

If your application had been read and you are successful - you get a place on an assessment day. If your application has been read and you are unsuccessful - you get the "sorry...." email. No news means your application hasn't been read yet. Simples.

Neil73

Hi Karlbbb

I too applied on 7th August and am 'awaiting shortlisting'. I e-mailed H.R a couple of weeks back searching for a bit of feedback and they replied with a generic message of basically they're waiting for the results of shortlisting from the line managers and that the assessments are done in batches due to the high volume of applications. So it seems we just have to wait and be patient. Oh and note to oneself...submit future applications much sooner!!

Best of luck to you..

Eduardo

Well, I've just called OPC for some feedback from my assessments.

Seems I met the National Standard so that must mean a borderline pass.:cry:

Sadly not good enough for FTPE, as they don't accept those.

However its slightly reassuring to know that I did pass albeit not to the requirements of this particular TOC.

I am still beating myself up over it, especially with the amount of planning and preparation I did for this.

What was also interesting was the fact that I did well on Glop and Dials.

I was certain I cocked the Glop up!

The Group Bourdon was my weak point. I almost reached the bottom of the page with the Group Bourdon having practiced for weeks.

My guess is that I missed a few of the four dots trying to go too quickly.

Yep, don't remind me - Quality as well as quantity! :D

So in a nut shell I can apply with a National Standard pass to other TOC for now but just not FTPE for 6 months.

Still gutted but now feel a little better. :|

Good luck to those through to Judges Houses.:lol:

Beveridges

Established Member
Just apply with Northern they advertise more often and your psychometric test pass will be okay with them and it certainly isnt 3000 applications per job either. They advertise for Drivers and Depot Driver regularly.
Getting into FTPE straight off as a trainee is HARD as I know that some *Qualified* drivers in Northern who have tried hard to get in and failed so cant think how hard it must be for unqualified!

Lanc688

Just apply with Northern they advertise more often and your psychometric test pass will be okay with them and it certainly isnt 3000 applications per job either. They advertise for Drivers and Depot Driver regularly.
Getting into FTPE straight off as a trainee is HARD as I know that some *Qualified* drivers in Northern who have tried hard to get in and failed so cant think how hard it must be for unqualified!

Beveridges.

You surprise me there...I was under the impression that Northern, like First required at least 'pass' in all the testing. :o

I had looked into it because my first time at DBS, I only managed Borderline in DTG although good passes with the others. I was gutted because I was under the impression that no TOC would take this! :cry:

Granted though, I know that you're in the industry so of course give you the benefit of the doubt. ;)

Regards

Lanc

kleb15

I got my rejection letter last week, to be honest it really is down to luck and generally just bollocks i think. I got rejected by FTPE, yet accepted to go through assessments to be an Air Traffic Controller. Which of them 2 jobs is more difficult really? Advantage is that the questions on the ATC assessment make the train driver onnes look like a piece of cake so even if i fail, it's really good practice

Beveridges

Established Member
I had looked into it because my first time at DBS, I only managed Borderline in DTG although good passes with the others. I was gutted because I was under the impression that no TOC would take this! :cry:

Granted though, I know that you're in the industry so of course give you the benefit of the doubt. ;)

Regards

Lanc

I mostly A's but got borderline passes (B's) in two of the Structured Interview criteria:
1) Able to follow rules and instructions
2) Able to work alone for long periods
But I still managed to get into the Depot Driving grade, which has the same criteria as mainline. From this I am under the impression that Northern accept Borderline passes.

notadriver

Established Member
I got my rejection letter last week, to be honest it really is down to luck and generally just bollocks i think. I got rejected by FTPE, yet accepted to go through assessments to be an Air Traffic Controller. Which of them 2 jobs is more difficult really? Advantage is that the questions on the ATC assessment make the train driver onnes look like a piece of cake so even if i fail, it's really good practice

Train driving isn't a hard job. It's just that everyone wants to do it. FTPE are one of the more prestigious operators too. I would say an FTPE driver has a more satisfying job than an air traffic controller.

GB

Established Member

The act of driving a train is not generally difficult. A monkey can be trained to pull and push levers and press the odd button. Its the environment, rules & regs, traction knowledge and route knowledge etc etc that makes it difficult and like Not A Driver said, the number of applicants is huge so the cull is also huge.

I'd imagine that ATC is alot more stressful tho!

Status
Not open for further replies.