• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

321448 demonstrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

nxea321446

does anyone know when greater anglia demonstrator 321448 is returning to ilford its been up at doncaster since october 2012 and ga have said they need the unit back in traffic

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
nxea321446:1448912 said:
... ga have said they need the unit back in traffic
Although it's plausible, have you got a source to back up this statement please?

TP

nxea321446

i recently read about it in a railway magazine that greater anglia need the dusty back in service as greater anglia are quite a few units down at the moment

Dave1987

On Moderation
Are we a few units down? All diagrams are covered with very few short forms on the 321 front.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Can they not use one of those 317s they have in store?

317's can't be used as none of us on the north area sign 317's anymore.

Last edited:

W230

Established Member
317's can't be used as none of us on the north area sign 317's anymore.
I'm confused - you mean no one who works there signs them (as they had already gone before the drivers started) or you no longer sign them because you haven't driven one for ages?

I'm assuming it's the former, as we were told that once we signed a specific class of traction, it would always remain on our traction card.

Dave1987

On Moderation
I'm confused - you mean no one who works there signs them (as they had already gone before the drivers started) or you no longer sign them because you haven't driven one for ages?

I'm assuming it's the former, as we were told that once we signed a specific class of traction, it would always remain on our traction card.

As far as I'm aware no one signs them anymore. Drivers who did sign them don't anymore as far as I'm aware. As you no doubt know you have to have a traction assessment as part of your summary assessment and the only emus we now sign are 321 and 360.

455driver

Veteran Member
we were told that once we signed a specific class of traction, it would always remain on our traction card.

Not likely, as soon as our depot lost work on <a class of emu> all the drivers at the depot had it removed from their cards, just as when I moved depots I had to remove all the routes that I would no longer work over even though some of them were handy diversionary routes.

If it isnt on your card you dont need refreshing on it!

Established Member
As far as I'm aware no one signs them anymore. Drivers who did sign them don't anymore as far as I'm aware. As you no doubt know you have to have a traction assessment as part of your summary assessment and the only emus we now sign are 321 and 360.

Some GE side drivers, certainly Ilford, must still sign them given that they are diagrammed and work on the Upminster branch regularly.

A stunning waste of the money spent by NX training up other depots if GA have taken off the cards then rather than letting it lapse for a refresh if required, and people wonder why the system is so inefficient...

Dave1987

On Moderation
Some GE side drivers, certainly Ilford, must still sign them given that they are diagrammed and work on the Upminster branch regularly.

A stunning waste of the money spent by NX training up other depots if GA have taken off the cards then rather than letting it lapse for a refresh if required, and people wonder why the system is so inefficient...

I did say north area. Ilford isn't part of the north area of GA.

SprinterMan

Established Member
Can they not use one of those 317s they have in store?

The main problems with the stored 317/7s is their appalling standard class seating capacity (about the same as a 156!), but far more importantly the very high lease cost. It costs 3 times as much to lease a 317/7 that it does a 317/5 or likely a 321. This is why the 317/7s were gotten rid of originally. GA would rather short form service than spend loads of cash on leasing non-standard expensive trains with few seats.

A few weeks ago, a 317/5 and 317/6 combination worked to Braintree and back a good few times on a Saturday to make sure drivers still signed them. Ilford drivers still signed 317s for Romford - Upminster, but Ipswich drivers don't anymore as there is no point as 317s don't go up there since the /7s were removed from service.

Adam :D

badassunicorn

kind of unrelated, but a 12 car 315 left Ilford the other week, first time I've heard/seen of that! Anyone know what it was doing?

Established Member
A few weeks ago, a 317/5 and 317/6 combination worked to Braintree and back a good few times on a Saturday to make sure drivers still signed them. Ilford drivers still signed 317s for Romford - Upminster, but Ipswich drivers don't anymore as there is no point as 317s don't go up there since the /7s were removed from service.

When the 317/7's were introduced on the GEML, as part of the DfT HLOS scheme to increase the number of seats into Liverpool St, they were only worked by Liverpool St, Ilford and the small link of drivers at Colchester who already signed the route to Stowmarket (the Peterborough link). Ipswich drivers were not involved. Then 8 weeks later when Abellio take over the wind changes direction and the 317/7's are taken off lease to save money, which the DfT would have agreed to as part of the re-franchising. Such is the politics of the modern railway.

As it is only a quick conversion course from a 321 to a 317 it is not such a stunning waste of money as it might appear, although annoying none the less. Liverpool St drivers already signed the traction.

With regard to the 12 car 315, then it could have been simply diagram modifications on West Anglia - take one train out of Ilford and split it at Liverpool St to save having to send two West Anglia drivers to Ilford. Just a guess though.

Last edited:

W230

Established Member
Not likely, as soon as our depot lost work on <a class of emu> all the drivers at the depot had it removed from their cards, just as when I moved depots I had to remove all the routes that I would no longer work over even though some of them were handy diversionary routes.
Ah ok. I knew this was the case with routes signed but not traction. Certainly makes sense - I must have been daydreaming when they told us that bit. :lol:

badassunicorn

Completely unrelated, but the 317 with the funny lights and big toilet etc has just been repainted so I guess it'll be back in service soon!

D365

Veteran Member
Completely unrelated, but the 317 with the funny lights and big toilet etc has just been repainted so I guess it'll be back in service soon!

317722 I presume? Not completely unrelated as the life-extension works are similar, can't wait to see how it works out.

badassunicorn

It looks good in white with red doors, but probably not for long! It'll end up brown like all the other units

SprinterMan

Established Member

This is really strange, as Greater Anglia don't lease 317/7s due to the disproportionately high leasing costs. GA have made it quite clear they don't want them, so it makes me think they will be operating the unit purely to test it, and won't be paying leasing costs for it. I have a horrible feeling they will confine it to the Romford - Upminster line, so it won't see any long-ish distance services, and won't get a chance to stretch it's legs. Hopefully GA take back all the 317/7s. Time will tell.

badassunicorn

Its not finished yet, still wrapped in bubble wrap stuff with no doors on and all the vehicles are still seperated

D365

Veteran Member
This is really strange, as Greater Anglia don't lease 317/7s due to the disproportionately high leasing costs. GA have made it quite clear they don't want them, so it makes me think they will be operating the unit purely to test it, and won't be paying leasing costs for it. I have a horrible feeling they will confine it to the Romford - Upminster line, so it won't see any long-ish distance services, and won't get a chance to stretch it's legs. Hopefully GA take back all the 317/7s. Time will tell.

As I said earlier, it might be 317722, the rebuild prototype - equivalent to 321448 here.

Status
Not open for further replies.