• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

35005 Canadian Pacific

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siqulme

This is my first ever post after years of just reading the forum without actually contributing anything.

I have recently got involved with helping to work onMerchant Navy class 35005 Canadian Pacific at Eastleigh Works. As you all know she is owned by the Mid Hants Railway and she seems to the railways unofficial flagship. During the project I have decided to write a volunteer diary to help give an insight into what goes into a locomotive restoration and hopefully inspire more (especially young people like myself) get involved with the heritage scene. All my entries are below:

23rd September 2013 – Diary Entry 1
14th October 2013 – Diary Entry 2
4th November 2013 – Diary Entry 3
12th November 2013 – Diary Entry 4
6th January 2014 – Diary Entry 5
3rd Feburary 2014 - Diary Entry 6
19th March 2014 - Diary Entry 7
11th June 2014 - Diary Entry 8
9th July 2014- Diary Entry 9
22nd November 2014- Diary Entry 10
10th February 2015 - Diary Entry 11

The diary entries are hosted on locoyard.com and seem to be quite popular. I aim to do one at least every 3 weeks so everyone can see how she is getting on.

I do need to point out that we arent actually restoring the beast but simply taking her apart so we can inspect what condition the locomotive is in and wont be able to start the actual restoration until funding has been secured.

Dave Wilson a Nine Elms fireman wrote a great piece for us on CanPacs record breaking run of 105mph which is a fascinating read.
Canadian Pacific - Record Holder - 105mph

I have also done a mini series looking at the history of the locomotive from its original construction to its current stripping down in Eastleigh.

Part 1 - The Spam Can Years
Part 2 - The Rebuild
Part 3 - The Preservation Years

Thanks for reading

Simon

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monty

Established Member
Thanks for sharing, I didn't realise that 'Can Pac' had returned to Ropley for overhaul, I had assumed the work may have been carried out at Eastleigh like Cheltenham. Any major work expected? Or is it hoped it will be a straight forward overhaul?

Siqulme

CP is at Eastleigh she has been moved however. She is now resting right at the back of the shed in what used to be the boiler shop on some track which was laid down just for her.

Her overall status is unknown until we get the boiler off and she what condition that and the frames are in. There is fears that the frames might of bowed which will result in a lengthily delay but at the moment we are being optimistic and aiming for a 2 year turn around.

GearJammer

What would cause the frames to bow? And when you say bow do you mean they have sagged in the middle if looked side on or if looked at from above they have spread appart? Frames 'bowing' is not something ive heard of before?

CarltonA

Hope all goes well with the work needed. Sister loco 35006 P&O is now getting very near to completion at Toddington on the GlosWarks. Hopefully it will be in service early next year.

Siqulme

Thanks alot!
I have been talking to a guy who has been working on 06 and they have been working on her for a number of years so hopefully our restoration once we are given the green light and funding secured wont take half as long. P&O looks to be coming along really well and by the looks of it wont be surprised if she is finished around April/May next year. I am hoping at some point we can get 05 and 06 in steam double heading somewhere .

Last edited:

341o2

Established Member
By bowing I think they just meant "misshaping"

Inclined to think side spreading which would only need a fraction to affect the axle bearings. Reminds me that Cornwall's first proper railway, the Redruth & Chasewater which successfully rebuilt one of its two original locomotives from an 0-4-2T to 0-6-0T (Miner). the railway subsequentially ordered a third loco, an 0-6-0T (Spitfire). when this came due for overhaul, a new firebox was ordered from a local engineering firm, and on delivery was found to be slightly too large.

It apears that the frames were forced apart to accomodate it and the loco was never the same again due to the rear axle bearings not being true

All the best for the restoration as I keep being reminded that at the end of Southern steam in 1967 only 34051 and 35028 were preserved and the decimation of the former SR network west of Salisbury in the wake of the Beeching report

Last edited:

Siqulme

Thanks for the kind words guys :) Hoping to do another report in the next couple of weeks.

Bedpan

Established Member
All the best for the restoration as I keep being reminded that at the end of Southern steam in 1967 only 34051 and 35028 were preserved and the decimation of the former SR network west of Salisbury in the wake of the Beeching report

And 34023 surely. I recall seeing it at Longmoor on the LMR in 1968 or 1969 and my recollection is that David Shepherd bought it direct from BR. At that time there were plans to run the LMR as a sort of preserved railway, but they never came to fruition.

Also 35029 up to a point - the one in the National Railway Museum that hes been sectioned.

CarltonA

35029 Ellerman Lines was only preserved after they decided to open the NRM in York. It was languishing in Barry for a while. I will be going to the GlosWarks next weekend for the 35006 meeting, so I may have some news on that front next week.

341o2

Established Member
And 34023 surely. I recall seeing it at Longmoor on the LMR in 1968 or 1969 and my recollection is that David Shepherd bought it direct from BR. At that time there were plans to run the LMR as a sort of preserved railway, but they never came to fruition.

Also 35029 up to a point - the one in the National Railway Museum that hes been sectioned.

By coincidence - and I don't have every Ian Allen ABC - I have the combined one for 1969 and it does list 34023 on the LMR, so I concede that point.

The Longmoor Military Railway would have made an excellent steam centre but was defeated by certain local residents protesting about this. David Shepherd recalls that Black Prince was being used to film "Young Winston" involving several runs over an accomodation crossing. One of the opponents to the LMR becoming a steam centre arrived in her mini and announced

"Young man, if you don't remove that train I will ram it"

Last edited:

Siqulme

Hi guys my third diary entry went live today on LocoYard.com which shows some of the great process done by John and his team. Just a quick thank you for "Hampshire Unit" who gave me permission to use a couple of his photos of CP in my blog.
You can view the post by clicking here.

CarltonA

35006 news: Steam tests should begin in the new year. The loco is very near to being complete. The smoke deflectors were being fitted this weekend. The railway press once said that 35006 would steam in 1999, well not quite. Note that as the P&O Shipping Co still exist we have to be careful about using the name. The logo on the nameplates is ok though.:|

Last edited:

Monty

Established Member
I would of thought it would be good publicity for P&O, is the loco entitled to any kind of grandfather rights to the name considering it's age and when it was built?

CarltonA

The P&O lawyers are protecting their clients name. The name on the loco is ok, it's just that the owning Co and preservation society have to call themselves 35006 so as not to appear part of the shipping Co. They have got one of the original nameplates in the P&O head office apparently.

djo

When they named the Merchant Navies they made 3 plates, two for the loco and one for the shipping company.

My Dad worked for P&O for many years and often saw their 3rd nameplate.

David

Siqulme

Thanks for sharing the information about 35006 its always interesting to learn about other projects. I never knew about the 3rd nameplate so I wonder if Canadian Pacific still have theres.

Monty

Established Member
The shipping arm of Canadian Pacific is now owned by Hapag-Lloyd so it may be worth contacting them and making enquires. Saying that it was originally a subsidiary of the CPR so the name plate could be in their care in Canada. :)

Siqulme

Thanks Monty I will look into that. There is no harm in trying at least.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
My fourth diary entry went live today and does show the progress made on 35005. Work on Canadian Pacific is going at a good pace and we might even say we are ahead of schedule at this point (that's just cursed the project). Anyway check it out and let me know what you think.

12th November 2013 – Diary Entry 4

Cheers

Simon

Siqulme

An interesting read as usual. Where are they likely to get the boiler work done?

I dont know to be honest. At this stage we are still stripping down and inspecting her. Think a final decision on the boiler work will be sorted once all the funding has secured.

Hows 35006 coming along?

Last edited:

Train wasp

I hear the loco is going to be moved in to the lifting shop. I take this is to allow the cab to be removed.

Siqulme

I'd be supprised if 05 is going to the lifting shop (well move 20ft forward to get under a crane) but there are a couple of coaches being restored ahead of us on the same road which would need moving and didnt have bogies last time I saw. You never know tho

Train wasp

I'd be supprised if 05 is going to the lifting shop (well move 20ft forward to get under a crane) but there are a couple of coaches being restored ahead of us on the same road which would need moving and didnt have bogies last time I saw. You never know tho

I heard that 35005 will be moved to allow the cab to be removed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.