• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

377/5 refresh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skimble19

Established Member
That almost looks as if it's been repainted.. (I know they haven't, before anyone comments!) Guess they've done some serious cleaning on it. Either way looks nice and smart.

westcoaster

Established Member
That almost looks as if it's been repainted.. (I know they haven't, before anyone comments!) Guess they've done some serious cleaning on it. Either way looks nice and smart.

They give the units some kind of iirc acid wash, makes them look like new, plus the purple paint makes them look shiny.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Southeastern style marking. The font used makes 1st class stand out much better.

Saw it at East Croydon this morning. It's not in the style used by Southeastern, which has a yellow surround to the windows as well as the cantrail stripe. 377501 simply has the cantrail stripe - and about time too! TL's first class markings have been appalling from the outset, on the 319s and the 377s.

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
Saw it at East Croydon this morning. It's not in the style used by Southeastern, which has a yellow surround to the windows as well as the cantrail stripe. 377501 simply has the cantrail stripe - and about time too! TL's first class markings have been appalling from the outset, on the 319s and the 377s.

Its thick like SE just not a square. Never stated it was exactly the same.

Class377/5

Established Member
Indeed, but 387star's comment was that it is in the Southern style, which it is, and not at all similar to Southeastern's much larger square area.

Reminded me of SE when I saw it, not SN, as its much thicker. But that's my personal view of course.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Reminded me of SE when I saw it, not SN, as its much thicker. But that's my personal view of course.

As far as I can tell it's exactly the same thickness as used by Southern on their 377/1 - 4 series. I assume it's a standard issue vinyl strip used by Govia.

I can't understand why TL have been so slow to use the yellow stripe and indeed so poor at identifying first class generally until now - it's not a difficult concept to grasp, after all, especially as they only have the accommodation at one end of the units.

Class455

Established Member
I was certainly under the impression that it had been re-painted when I saw it this morning, so the acid seems to be very effective.

That's what I thought too when I saw 377 501 yesterday. Are there any plans to put them into TL livery?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes with 10 car 377 vice 8 car 455. Note this doesn't mean 455 being withdrawn, just reality that they will be nearly at the end of their lives and fail more often.

Unless GTR re-traction them like the SWT 455's. Their owners (Eversholt) could probably do the same thing to their 455's as they did to 321448 if they wanted to keep them around for longer. The SWT 455's will be around until 2024 at least so they could do the same to Southern's sets and it could be a lot cheaper than purchasing new trains to replace them.

physics34

Established Member
That's what I thought too when I saw 377 501 yesterday. Are there any plans to put them into TL livery?.

Unless anyone knows any different, we think they are gonna be on Southern services with TLs 377/2s once all the 700s are delivered.

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
Unless anyone knows any different, we think they are gonna be on Southern services with TLs 377/2s once all the 700s are delivered.

The 377/5 won't be in the 377/2 pool (under current plans).

physics34

Established Member
The 377/5 won't be in the 377/2 pool (under current plans).

No need for them under the wires now with no weekday MK service!
...but i wouldve guessed there would been enough 377/2s to run an 8 car MK service anyway.

Bit of a waste of a pantograph though, guess they will be removed.

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
No need for them under the wires now with no weekday MK service!
...but i wouldve guessed there would been enough 377/2s to run an 8 car MK service anyway.

Bit of a waste of a pantograph though, guess they will be removed.

No pans to be removed.

387star

On Moderation
504. Believe it's already there.

given these units were destined for GN this refurb would have tied in well and enabled them to get a GN interior and livery with the suggested relaunch of GN

Be interesting to see any livery change on the 387/1s if any

Skimble19

Established Member
given these units were destined for GN this refurb would have tied in well and enabled them to get a GN interior and livery with the suggested relaunch of GN

What "suggested relaunch" of GN are you referring to, may I ask?

As for the 387/1s, I'd imagine at most the doors may eventually change colour, although with the way things are at the moment I doubt it's top of the list to do.

387star

On Moderation
What "suggested relaunch" of GN are you referring to, may I ask?

As for the 387/1s, I'd imagine at most the doors may eventually change colour, although with the way things are at the moment I doubt it's top of the list to do.

sure someone on here hinted at some changes on the GN side

Class377/5

Established Member

I really wish people would read threads. The 377/5 will not go to the GN. That is set.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I thought I'd been paying attention- but hadn't caught the bit where the 377/5s weren't coming to the GN! It's all quite confusing

387star

On Moderation
I really wish people would read threads. The 377/5 will not go to the GN. That is set.
Yeah I know hence my post..
Travelled on this unit today

New carpets throughout including vestibules- very soft and springy! Carpet running strips also replaced with sky blue plastic strips. Possibly only thr centre carpet strip replaced and insides cleaned wasn't too sure
Sides of seats stanchions hand grabs etc resprayed as required
New side panels in the now standard sky blue which are smooth rather than grooved as the old ones were and I believe easier to wipe off graffiti. All southern 377s and 387s have identical side panels except early 377/1s which have a much darker blue to match their heater covers I guess which are dark blue not grey

No seat covers replaced guess they deemed it not necessary.... Possibly a few odd ones replaced otherwise no change. A shame as they look a bit worn in places. Not sure if the creaky seat bases in leading and trailing cars have been renewed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.