• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

507021's Merseyrail days out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Brilliant read mate. Was boss to meet you and others. I really enjoyed the day, never expected to win but got a new station, Town Green. I was quite happy with my score, 47 I think, not bad given I screwed up my understanding of the scoring. Ha ha.

Glad you enjoyed it mate, it was great to meet you too, we'll certainly have to meet up again before the next event in the area. :)

Despite only getting the one new station, I've still got plenty of stations left to do, but most of those are on the Wirral Line! I might finish the Northern Line first then focus on the Wirral Line, especially as I've been on the latter quite a lot this year.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I thought I'd post an update of my year's mileage totals and other statistics.

January: 2,228.44
February: 2,296.22
March: 2,994.9
April: 3,102.32
May: 2,380.46
June: 1,685.14
July: 2,628.8
August: 3,842.77
September: 2,023.58

Best month: August; 3,842.77 miles.
Worst month: June; 1685.14 miles.
Most used TOC: Northern (Arriva); 228 journeys.
Least used TOC: Grand Central and Hull Trains; 1 journey each.

Most used DMU Class: Class 156; 79 journeys.
Most used EMU Class: Class 319; 98 journeys.
Most used Loco Class: Class 43; 7 journeys.
Least used DMU Class: Classes 159 and 166; 1 journey each.
Least used EMU Class: Classes 318, 320, 373, 374 and 444; 1 journey each.
Least used Loco Class: Class 57 - 2 journeys.

I finally cleared my first DMU class (Class 155) last month, so I'm pleased with that as well.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations on what has clearly been an excellent year so far, and for clearing the 155s. A mission I'm still undertaking. A job for 2017...

Established Member
Congratulations on what has clearly been an excellent year so far, and for clearing the 155s. A mission I'm still undertaking. A job for 2017...

Thanks Tech, it's certainly been a great year compared to last year!

The rest of the year isn't looking too bad, I've got a few ideas in mind for days out in the last three months of 2016, but nothing is confirmed yet. I'm hoping to complete the Merseyrail fleet for haulage before 2017, but if I don't manage to then it gives me something to do next year. :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good luck getting MerseyRail cleared this year, it could certainly happen. You may well find you have similar luck to me with the last few! :lol:

fowler9

Established Member
Doing well there mate. My next half planned trip is going to be a 37 up to Barrow again from Preston. I have a Northern travel voucher begging to be used and since I am loosing my old job at the end of this week and going back to the helpdesk again I will soon have to work weekends again, with the added bonus of having weekdays off without using leave. (Always loom on the bright side, ha ha).

The plan is probably to do what I did with the last voucher. 319 up to Preston, 37 to Barrow, whatever turns up down to Carnforth. Whatever turns up over to Leeds. Probably a 158 back to Preston and a 319 back to Liverpool. If I get a nice day before the nights draw in it will be good.

Established Member
Good luck getting MerseyRail cleared this year, it could certainly happen. You may well find you have similar luck to me with the last few! :lol:

Thanks Tech, hopefully it does. Although I think my luck has already gone the same way as yours already, because the required 508110 has shown up for me twice, but I've had to go somewhere else instead of tick it off my list. Ah well, one day! :)

Doing well there mate. My next half planned trip is going to be a 37 up to Barrow again from Preston. I have a Northern travel voucher begging to be used and since I am loosing my old job at the end of this week and going back to the helpdesk again I will soon have to work weekends again, with the added bonus of having weekdays off without using leave. (Always loom on the bright side, ha ha).

The plan is probably to do what I did with the last voucher. 319 up to Preston, 37 to Barrow, whatever turns up down to Carnforth. Whatever turns up over to Leeds. Probably a 158 back to Preston and a 319 back to Liverpool. If I get a nice day before the nights draw in it will be good.

Thanks mate. :)

That sounds like a plan, I might do that myself at the end of the month before the days get too short. If I do decide to go, then hopefully it'll be a 37 I still require, but if it isn't then at least it would be a day out I suppose.

Sorry to hear about your job, but at least you've got another one. Hope it all works out for you mate. :)

fowler9

Established Member
Thanks Tech, hopefully it does. Although I think my luck has already gone the same way as yours already, because the required 508110 has shown up for me twice, but I've had to go somewhere else instead of tick it off my list. Ah well, one day! :)

Thanks mate. :)

That sounds like a plan, I might do that myself at the end of the month before the days get too short. If I do decide to go, then hopefully it'll be a 37 I still require, but if it isn't then at least it would be a day out I suppose.

Sorry to hear about your job, but at least you've got another one. Hope it all works out for you mate. :)

Cheers chief. The job will be fine. Got to look on the bright side, at least I still have one. It is a bit of a pay cut but this time last year I was still paying back the ex for our round the world trip, which undeniably had its plus side. Ha ha. I'm actually better off now than I was paying that off this time last year on a higher wage. I really can't moan. Onwards and upwards. It is a big week for me. :D

HA25322

I thought I'd post an update of my year's mileage totals and other statistics.

January: 2,228.44
February: 2,296.22
March: 2,994.9
April: 3,102.32
May: 2,380.46
June: 1,685.14
July: 2,628.8
August: 3,842.77
September: 2,023.58

Best month: August; 3,842.77 miles.
Worst month: June; 1685.14 miles.
Most used TOC: Northern (Arriva); 228 journeys.
Least used TOC: Grand Central and Hull Trains; 1 journey each.

Most used DMU Class: Class 156; 79 journeys.
Most used EMU Class: Class 319; 98 journeys.
Most used Loco Class: Class 43; 7 journeys.
Least used DMU Class: Classes 159 and 166; 1 journey each.
Least used EMU Class: Classes 318, 320, 373, 374 and 444; 1 journey each.
Least used Loco Class: Class 57 - 2 journeys.

I finally cleared my first DMU class (Class 155) last month, so I'm pleased with that as well.

Well done on this.

I have managed to clear my 142s, 143s and 144s this year. Also cleared my 322 and 315s. Cannot clear my 155s until 346 comes back out from Kilmarnock and still waiting for 156478 to come back to complete them. I am just concentrating now on clearing what will go first. I have finished the 313s out of Moorgate, but still require a few 313/2 but I have more time with them. Also looking at finishing off the 317s on the GN. I have cleared all TfL units which is good. Now just after clearing as many Anglia units as possible.

Established Member
Cheers chief. The job will be fine. Got to look on the bright side, at least I still have one. It is a bit of a pay cut but this time last year I was still paying back the ex for our round the world trip, which undeniably had its plus side. Ha ha. I'm actually better off now than I was paying that off this time last year on a higher wage. I really can't moan. Onwards and upwards. It is a big week for me. :D

Exactly mate, glad to hear you're better off. Best of luck with the new job. :)

Well done on this.

I have managed to clear my 142s, 143s and 144s this year. Also cleared my 322 and 315s. Cannot clear my 155s until 346 comes back out from Kilmarnock and still waiting for 156478 to come back to complete them. I am just concentrating now on clearing what will go first. I have finished the 313s out of Moorgate, but still require a few 313/2 but I have more time with them. Also looking at finishing off the 317s on the GN. I have cleared all TfL units which is good. Now just after clearing as many Anglia units as possible.

Thanks. I still need 23 142s, 21 143s and 3 144s, but I'm hoping I may be able to get a few more Northern 142s and maybe finish the 144s this year, although I don't think I'll be getting any more ATW Pacers (or the GWR 143s) until next year now. Like yourself, I'm focusing on what is going to be leaving, with the Pacers, 153s and PEP stock at the top of my list.

Good luck getting the units you need! :)

Established Member
Well, as we approach the last month of 2016, I thought I'd post an update of my monthly mileage totals.

Q1 mileage:
January: 2,228.44 miles.
February: 2,296.22 miles.
March: 2,994.9 miles.
Q1 total: 7,519.56 miles.

Q2 mileage:
April: 3,102.32 miles.
May: 2,380.46 miles.
June: 1,685.14 miles.
Q2 total: 7,167.92 miles.

Q3 mileage:
July: 2,628.8 miles.
August: 3,842.77 miles.
September: 2,023.58 miles.
Q3 total: 8,495.15 miles.

This month, I managed 2,602.39 miles, which I was very pleased with. I'll post the total mileage for Q4 in January, with my target to exceed 30,000 miles for this year, meaning I need over 2,000 miles in December to achieve that target. Find out in January if I manage to do it!

fowler9

Established Member
Well, as we approach the last month of 2016, I thought I'd post an update of my monthly mileage totals.

Q1 mileage:
January: 2,228.44 miles.
February: 2,296.22 miles.
March: 2,994.9 miles.
Q1 total: 7,519.56 miles.

Q2 mileage:
April: 3,102.32 miles.
May: 2,380.46 miles.
June: 1,685.14 miles.
Q2 total: 7,167.92 miles.

Q3 mileage:
July: 2,628.8 miles.
August: 3,842.77 miles.
September: 2,023.58 miles.
Q3 total: 8,495.15 miles.

This month, I managed 2,602.39 miles, which I was very pleased with. I'll post the total mileage for Q4 in January, with my target to exceed 30,000 miles for this year, meaning I need over 2,000 miles in December to achieve that target. Find out in January if I manage to do it!

Good luck mate.

Established Member
Good luck mate.

Thanks mate, I've got two Merseyrail days confirmed for next month on top of a Glasgow trip and hopefully a couple of days out in the North or the Midlands (or one day in each, depending where I feel like going). 2,000 miles should be doable, especially with the time off I have over Christmas and New Year.

We'll see though. :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good luck from me too but it should be managable. Surprising how the little hops about the place make a big difference!

Established Member
Good luck from me too but it should be managable. Surprising how the little hops about the place make a big difference!

Cheers Tech, I'm hopefully off out on Friday (at least until the early afternoon, anyway) and I'm off to Sheffield on Saturday too. I'll more than likely end up staying in the North with it being so close to Christmas, but there's still plenty of things for me to do if that is what I end up doing. :)

Established Member
More of a reminder for myself, but my trip report from today's day out will be posted early next week.

I hope to write the report over the weekend or after work on Monday at the latest. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Returning to local metals

It’s been a while since I’ve been out on Merseyrail, so after enrolling on a course that allowed me to have the day off (as well as another seven Thursdays, huzzah!), I decided to take advantage of that and try and make a long overdue return to travelling on my local metals. The last time was a day trip to Chester almost three months ago, but was it worth it though?

After heading out, I get myself a SaveAway and board Arriva North West’s 2673 (CX58 EUP) into the city centre. I’m not due at my course until 13:30, but I decide to leave earlier to give myself plenty of time to get some Christmas cards (I love Card Factory) and get some mileage beforehand. After getting the last Christmas cards I need, I head over to Lime Street and take a look at the departure board. The first thing I considered was the 12:04 to Birmingham New Street, before looking at the rest of the board to see what else took my interest.

I opted for the 12:04 to New Street, which was winner 350244, much to my delight. We leave on time and I take it to Liverpool South Parkway, where I switch onto Merseyrail (my first time on the Northern Line since the Merseyside Challenge, time flies!) to make my way to North Liverpool. I’m not waiting long until 508104 rolls in to take me up to Liverpool Central. The journey passes without event, and I alight at Central so I can switch onto the Kirkby branch. I’m not waiting for too long, leaving Central at 12:50 on 508137.

I alight 508137 at Fazakerley, meaning that I have now visited all of the Merseyrail stations on the Kirkby Branch Line.

After finishing my course, I return to Fazakerley station with the intention of returning to Central so I can consider my options for the rest of the afternoon. To my delight, winner 507019 takes me back into the city centre, leaving on time at 15:16. The journey passes and once I’m back at Central I decide to wait around on the Northern Line platforms to see what arrives. A 25 minute wait proves fruitful, as a six-car Ormskirk service arrives on Platform 1. The first unit I identify is 508114, however I’m pleased that the other unit it’s paired with is winner 508124. I take a poorly-sounding 508124, which departs at 15:15, up to Sandhills.

I wait around in Sandhills for a little while, and eventually my patience is rewarded as a unit I have turned down for a ride on two occasions arrives on Platform 2, 508110, which was partnered with 507024. The first time I turned down 508110 was when I was on my way back from an early morning trip out to Hough Green. I was already on a Northern service, and I didn’t want to risk being late to meeting a close friend at Lime Street. The second time I turned it down was on the evening after the Merseyside Challenge, it was at Central but I was too tired to stay out and wanted to get home. Third time lucky, I’ve got to admit it felt great to finally tick off 508110.

I get back to Central at 16:31 and wait around to see what’s going on. I’m faced with a tough choice as required 508143 arrives with a service to Ormskirk, but as I stand aboard the unit waiting for it to depart, required 507025 arrives on a service bound for Southport partnered with 507029. I decide after thinking about it, the Southport train will get to Moorfields ahead of 508143, so I leave 508143 for the time being and board the Southport service up to Moorfields. Only when I get to Moorfields, I realise something....

I got on 507029 by mistake!

Quickly realising my error, I board 507025 up to Sandhills, where I’m joined by an enthusiast from Leicester who spotted me making notes in my journey log. Once we get to Sandhills both of us alight, with the intention of me catching a short ride up to Kirkdale on the Ormskirk-bound Class 508 due to arrive after the pair of 507s depart. Sure enough, at the second attempt I manage to tick off a very busy 508143, alighting at Kirkdale to return to Sandhills and rejoin with the bloke from Leicester.

I depart Kirkdale at 16:52 on 507019, I’m pleased to see he’s still there when I get back to Sandhills. After a 20 minute wait, we take 508123 and 508140 back to Moorfields, where after another wait, we part ways and I leave Moorfields at 17:57 on 508117, another busy unit with a standing load. It soon emptied out however, and I arrive at South Parkway for the second time today at 18:13, where I head over to the mainline platforms to see what comes. I’m not too bothered about what turns up, as by now I wanted to get home and have a warm meal.

At 18:21, I depart South Parkway on a slightly delayed service from Manchester Oxford Road, which was operated by a pair of Class 142s, 142032 leading 142046. I board the latter, and I must admit I really enjoyed this journey. It was a shame to have to call it a day after it turned out to be so productive, but all good things come to an end!

I head over to Queen Square Bus Station and board Arriva North West’s 4668 (SK15 GZE) to head home, thinking about how productive the day had been. I’m on my course again next Thursday, and I’m hoping I can finally bag the last two units I need to clear the Class 507s and Class 508s, and the Merseyrail fleet as a whole. I’ve got to admit, I didn’t expect to be at this stage as I type this report up, but I hope next Thursday is the day I clear the Merseyrail fleet so I can switch my focus to the stations.

Hope you enjoyed the read, stay tuned for the next report!

Established Member

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I read this on the train earlier and enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.

fowler9

Established Member
More of a reminder for myself, but my trip report from today's day out will be posted early next week.

I hope to write the report over the weekend or after work on Monday at the latest. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Returning to local metals

It’s been a while since I’ve been out on Merseyrail, so after enrolling on a course that allowed me to have the day off (as well as another seven Thursdays, huzzah!), I decided to take advantage of that and try and make a long overdue return to travelling on my local metals. The last time was a day trip to Chester almost three months ago, but was it worth it though?

After heading out, I get myself a SaveAway and board Arriva North West’s 2673 (CX58 EUP) into the city centre. I’m not due at my course until 13:30, but I decide to leave earlier to give myself plenty of time to get some Christmas cards (I love Card Factory) and get some mileage beforehand. After getting the last Christmas cards I need, I head over to Lime Street and take a look at the departure board. The first thing I considered was the 12:04 to Birmingham New Street, before looking at the rest of the board to see what else took my interest.

I opted for the 12:04 to New Street, which was winner 350244, much to my delight. We leave on time and I take it to Liverpool South Parkway, where I switch onto Merseyrail (my first time on the Northern Line since the Merseyside Challenge, time flies!) to make my way to North Liverpool. I’m not waiting long until 508104 rolls in to take me up to Liverpool Central. The journey passes without event, and I alight at Central so I can switch onto the Kirkby branch. I’m not waiting for too long, leaving Central at 12:50 on 508137.

I alight 508137 at Fazakerley, meaning that I have now visited all of the Merseyrail stations on the Kirkby Branch Line.

After finishing my course, I return to Fazakerley station with the intention of returning to Central so I can consider my options for the rest of the afternoon. To my delight, winner 507019 takes me back into the city centre, leaving on time at 15:16. The journey passes and once I’m back at Central I decide to wait around on the Northern Line platforms to see what arrives. A 25 minute wait proves fruitful, as a six-car Ormskirk service arrives on Platform 1. The first unit I identify is 508114, however I’m pleased that the other unit it’s paired with is winner 508124. I take a poorly-sounding 508124, which departs at 15:15, up to Sandhills.

I wait around in Sandhills for a little while, and eventually my patience is rewarded as a unit I have turned down for a ride on two occasions arrives on Platform 2, 508110, which was partnered with 507024. The first time I turned down 508110 was when I was on my way back from an early morning trip out to Hough Green. I was already on a Northern service, and I didn’t want to risk being late to meeting a close friend at Lime Street. The second time I turned it down was on the evening after the Merseyside Challenge, it was at Central but I was too tired to stay out and wanted to get home. Third time lucky, I’ve got to admit it felt great to finally tick off 508110.

I get back to Central at 16:31 and wait around to see what’s going on. I’m faced with a tough choice as required 508143 arrives with a service to Ormskirk, but as I stand aboard the unit waiting for it to depart, required 507025 arrives on a service bound for Southport partnered with 507029. I decide after thinking about it, the Southport train will get to Moorfields ahead of 508143, so I leave 508143 for the time being and board the Southport service up to Moorfields. Only when I get to Moorfields, I realise something....

I got on 507029 by mistake!

Quickly realising my error, I board 507025 up to Sandhills, where I’m joined by an enthusiast from Leicester who spotted me making notes in my journey log. Once we get to Sandhills both of us alight, with the intention of me catching a short ride up to Kirkdale on the Ormskirk-bound Class 508 due to arrive after the pair of 507s depart. Sure enough, at the second attempt I manage to tick off a very busy 508143, alighting at Kirkdale to return to Sandhills and rejoin with the bloke from Leicester.

I depart Kirkdale at 16:52 on 507019, I’m pleased to see he’s still there when I get back to Sandhills. After a 20 minute wait, we take 508123 and 508140 back to Moorfields, where after another wait, we part ways and I leave Moorfields at 17:57 on 508117, another busy unit with a standing load. It soon emptied out however, and I arrive at South Parkway for the second time today at 18:13, where I head over to the mainline platforms to see what comes. I’m not too bothered about what turns up, as by now I wanted to get home and have a warm meal.

At 18:21, I depart South Parkway on a slightly delayed service from Manchester Oxford Road, which was operated by a pair of Class 142s, 142032 leading 142046. I board the latter, and I must admit I really enjoyed this journey. It was a shame to have to call it a day after it turned out to be so productive, but all good things come to an end!

I head over to Queen Square Bus Station and board Arriva North West’s 4668 (SK15 GZE) to head home, thinking about how productive the day had been. I’m on my course again next Thursday, and I’m hoping I can finally bag the last two units I need to clear the Class 507s and Class 508s, and the Merseyrail fleet as a whole. I’ve got to admit, I didn’t expect to be at this stage as I type this report up, but I hope next Thursday is the day I clear the Merseyrail fleet so I can switch my focus to the stations.

Hope you enjoyed the read, stay tuned for the next report!

Brilliant read mate. You did really well. As I think I have said before I always find it interesting to read about others passing through my regular haunts, I must go through South Parkway every day of the week unless I am abroad. South Parkway is a really nice station let down by 3 things, the toilets. Ha ha. The station gets 4 Desiros an hour which normally seem to have both bogs locked out of use and when people get off at Parkway they find three superloos serving the whole station which take an age to use even if they are working. :D

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a great time, with a great read! Score to the few Miseryrail units too! I take it you can only count one unit per train (the one you're in)? I'll look forward to more reports!

Established Member
A very good day, there.
It reminds me to make sure Merseyrail is on my ever growing list of moves to do in 2017.

djpontrack

That was a good trip. I always enjoy a spin on Merseyrail. I've cleared all the units for haulage over the last few years but still need some shacks.

Established Member
That was a good trip. I always enjoy a spin on Merseyrail. I've cleared all the units for haulage over the last few years but still need some shacks.

Thanks, I've still got around 30 stations to visit, but that number is coming down slowly. :)

A very good day, there.
It reminds me to make sure Merseyrail is on my ever growing list of moves to do in 2017.

Thanks '013, although you've got another couple of years to try and clear the current fleet. :)

Sounds like a great time, with a great read! Score to the few Miseryrail units too! I take it you can only count one unit per train (the one you're in)? I'll look forward to more reports!

Thanks FQ, glad you liked it. When units are in pairs, I record both but I only count the one I'm on. If I need both, then if I can move into the other unit without getting off then I will do and I'll count both. :)

Brilliant read mate. You did really well. As I think I have said before I always find it interesting to read about others passing through my regular haunts, I must go through South Parkway every day of the week unless I am abroad. South Parkway is a really nice station let down by 3 things, the toilets. Ha ha. The station gets 4 Desiros an hour which normally seem to have both bogs locked out of use and when people get off at Parkway they find three superloos serving the whole station which take an age to use even if they are working. :D

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it. I always seem to end up at South Parkway on my days out, the toilets aren't too bad as they're generally clean, but it can be annoying if they're out of service and I'm going to boarding a Merseyrail train and not a mainline train. Even the new fleet won't have toilets which is a bit disappointing, but I can understand why they haven't been fitted.

--

My report from yesterday's afternoon out should be up in the next few days. :)

Established Member
It’s been emotional

With the second day of my course upon me so soon after the first, it was time to get myself a SaveAway and get out on Merseyside’s rails again. After getting my ticket, I waited a few minutes for a bus to take me into the city centre to start my day out. I boarded Arriva North West’s 4677 (SK15 GZP) on a service 12, and after an uneventful journey I found myself taking a quick look around the refurbished St John’s Market (I genuinely couldn’t believe it was the same place, what a difference it’s made) before taking a walk over to Lime Street.

Taking a look at the departure board, I initially decided to take a Class 319 to South Parkway, but upon going through to the platforms I discover the service was cancelled, so I opted to go for the 11:55 to Manchester Oxford Road instead, taking 156452 as far as Liverpool South Parkway. This Class 156 unit was on fine form, reminding me why the Class 156 is favourite diesel multiple unit class by a long way. 156452 is definitely right up there with 156464, my favourite 156.

After getting off 156452, I crossed over to the Merseyrail platform to wait for the 12:24 to Liverpool Central as I did last week, but this time it’s 507002 doing the honours. I’ve got to say, I do like 507002, especially as its distinctive all-over livery advertising Liverpool Hope University makes it very easy to identify. I’ve often wondered why they didn’t name 507002 Liverpool Hope University, especially considering 508111 with is all-over livery advertising The Beatles Story was named The Beatles.

After getting off at Liverpool Central (I’ve lost count how many times I’ve been here this year) I wait for the 12:50 Kirkby service up to Fazakerley, which was operated by 507023 Operations Inspector Stuart Mason. Another uneventful journey passes, and after getting off at Fazakerley I head to my course a 10 minute walk away from the station.

I finish my course on time, and I’m back at Fazakerley to catch the 15:16 back to Liverpool Central. As the train arrives, I can’t help but smile when I identify the unit as 507021 Red Rum, my all-time favourite multiple unit. I was planning to get off at Moorfields initially, but seeing as it was 507021, I stayed on the train until Liverpool Central instead.

After a long wait around at Liverpool Central, I can’t contain my delight as my last required 508 to clear the class, 508138, partnered with 507026, arrives with a six-car service from Southport. By now the platform was extremely busy, but I still manage to get on 508138 and tick off the last Class 508 I needed for a ride. I take these as far as Cressington, before crossing over to the other platform to get the same set back. I’ve got to say Cressington is one of the nicer stations on the Merseyrail network, definitely one of my favourites. At 16:27, I leave Cressington on the same set, boarding 508138 again back up to Liverpool Central, deciding to hang around and see what else turns up, mindful the 16:50 to Kirkby will be due shortly.

With a spring in my step, I board 507032, the final Class 507 and Merseyrail unit I needed for a ride, and we depart on time at 16:50. I take this all the way up to Kirkby, and then board the same unit back to Liverpool Central, admittedly feeling a little bit emotional. On our way there, 507032 pauses for a few minutes to allow a late-running service to pass us at Sandhills. Even though I’ve now completed both classes, it definitely won’t take the my enthusiasm for these units away one iota. I’ve always held the 507s and 508s in high regard, and the recent announcement of the new trains makes it a very appropriate day to complete both classes and the fleet as a whole.

I decide to get back onto the mainline at Lime Street, so I make a short hop up to Moorfields to get to Lime Street. A six car service to Southport arrives on Platform 2, with 507024 leading 507002, and seeing as I was up that end of the platform, I board 507024, which to my delight was the quieter of the two units, making getting off much easier! I made my way to the Wirral Line platform and board 508136 operating a New Brighton service for a short hop around to Lime Street. The timing couldn’t have been any better, as I spotted an East Midlands Trains service (the 17:51) heading for Liverpool South Parkway from Platform 9.

I sprinted to Platform 9, as after I literally jumped aboard 158773 Eastcroft Depot, the rear doors closed behind me, making it with about a second to spare. I’ve got to admit I was relieved, and I take 158773 along with 158774 leading to Liverpool South Parkway, sitting in the vestibule tip up seat. The catering trolley is right in front of me, and as hungry as I am, I decide against sourcing food from a vending machine at South Parkway once I get there.

I head over to the Merseyrail platforms once again and wait to see what turns up. With the fleet now cleared, my focus has turned to visiting all of stations. 508114 arrives with the 18:09 service, and I take this up to Aigburth, meaning I now only need to visit St Michaels and Bank Hall to clear the Northern Line south of Blundellsands & Crosby. Once I’m at Aigburth, I cross over to the southbound platform to wait for my service back to South Parkway. The slightly delayed 18:22 arrives, with 508138 doing the honours, and I board it for the third time today.

Once I’m back at South Parkway, I head over to the mainline platforms again to wait for the next service back to Lime Street. After a short wait, a London Midland service operated by winner 350106 arrives, meaning that I have my third winner of the day to end what’s been quite an emotional day. After I arrive back at Lime Street, I head over to Queen Square Bus Station to get a bus home. This time, it was Arriva North West’s 4587 (SL64 JDJ) on a 15, although I was far from impressed with the state of the upstairs! It proved to be good timing, because as soon as I get in my Dad was serving up the perfect dinner for a winter evening, corned beef hash. I’m all too keen to get it eaten and start with my trip report while it’s still fresh in my mind!

I’ll admit, it’s been one very interesting journey, but I’ve finally done it, I’ve cleared the Merseyrail fleet and the Class 507 and 508 fleets. Don’t worry though, I’ll still be writing trip reports as there’s plenty of stations for me to visit and plenty of London Midland and TransPennine Express units I still need operating in the Merseyside PTE boundary area.

I hope you enjoyed the read anyway, I should be out on Merseyside again before Christmas, but I’ll have to see what happens first.

Attachments

• DSC_0234.JPG
    DSC_0234.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 13

fowler9

Established Member
Great read that 507021. Cressington is a lovely quirky little little station in a very pleasant area. Aigburth is a little closer to where I live however with West Allerton at the end of my road I rarely use it. Speaking of Aigburth station I used to be a member of the Liverpool Model Railway Society which back in the day had its base in the station building. I am guessing that it was the old station masters house and upon entering every room had a model railway in it in various states of construction.

Anyway, made up you have cleared the 507's and 508's, well done. St Michaels and Bank Hall shouldn't prove too difficult to clear.

Totally agree on the 156's, their appearance on Lime Street to Oxford Road services seems to have reduced a little of late sadly. Not by much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.