• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

507021's Merseyrail days out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Congratulations on clearing the 507s & 508s.
Only a couple of years until a new fleet comes along for you to get :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Congratulations on clearing the 507s & 508s.
Only a couple of years until a new fleet comes along for you to get :)

Many thanks, '013. :)

As much as I like the idea of a new fleet, I just don't think I'll be chasing the new Stadler EMUs as much as I did the PEP units! Even so, at least it will be another class I can hopefully add to my "cleared classes" list. :)

Established Member
Here's my report from last Thursday, today's report will be up as soon as possible.

Now, onto the stations...

Thursday arrived again and that meant it was a day off to attend my course (I’ve got another five weeks to go yet) in Fazakerley. As per the last two weeks, I got myself a SaveAway and took an Arriva North West service into town. If my memory serves me well, it was Arriva North West’s 4652 (SK15 GYJ) doing the honours. I arrive in town in time for my first choice departure to South Parkway, the 11:55 to Manchester Oxford Road. Much to my delight when I get onto the platform, I saw 156452 (my first DMU of the year) was stood ready at Platform 5.

This wasn’t too bad, and I pass the time reading some of the material from the last session of my course before Christmas to get myself back up to speed. This passes the time well, and I alight at South Parkway to cross over to the Merseyrail platforms. I was walking to Platform 6 until I heard the unmistakable sound of a decelerating PEP unit, so I ran the rest of the way down to the platform and boarded the late running 508122 (my first Merseyrail unit of the year) up to Liverpool Central. A PNB break is needed, so I head upstairs but I had to wait a couple of minutes because a cleaner was working in the gents toilets. Just as well I wasn’t desperate! Back down on the platform, I take 507030 up to Fazakerley on the 12:50 to Kirkby.

After my course ends, I took 508137 back to Liverpool Central to get started on reducing the number of Merseyrail stations I need to visit. I decided to take a ride up to Bank Hall whilst it was still daylight (thanks for the advice fowler9!), so I boarded 508124 and alighted at Bank Hall as planned. The next plan was to get my last required Northern Line station south of Central, so I wait until a six car train formed of 507017 leading 507024 arrive on the platform. I boarded 507017 as it was the closest, and I stay on board as far as St Michaels. On the way there, I debate whether to and clear Hall Road, but as I didn’t know how far I was able to go by rail on my Area C SaveAway. Once I’m at St Michaels I’m pleased to confirm I can indeed go to Hall Road, so I headed over to the northbound platform to wait for my next train.

The late running 508127 did the honours; although I had to climb over a thoughtless woman’s suitcase to get to the vacant four seat bay I’d seen as the train came to a halt. I wouldn’t mind, but there’s plenty of space specifically available for pushchairs, wheelchairs and bicycles on Merseyrail trains, so I really fail to see why this woman was frankly stupid and selfish enough to block the aisle with a suitcase AND a pushchair. I think she knew she’d annoyed me based on how I dropped into my chair and put my bag on the seat!

This journey gets very busy, and I have to say I’m disappointed this service was only a three car service, especially as virtually all of the seats I could were taken and there were passengers standing in the aisle and vestibules. Thankfully, it emptied out over the course of the journey and I was able to alight at Hall Road, my last new station of the day, where I crossed over to the southbound platform to head back to Liverpool again. I didn’t have to wait for very long until a six car set arrives to take me to my destination, with the train formed of 508124 leading 507018. I went for the latter, seeing as I’d already had 508124 today. On my way back south, I opted to stay on until the terminus at Hunts Cross to see if I could intercept a Manchester Oxford Road stopper back to Lime Street.

This plan worked well; as I wasn’t waiting very long until a late running 156425 arrived to take me back into the city centre. The best thing was that there was a table bay available, so I could get my journey log book out and catch up on transferring my notes from my phone to the book and get some music playing. Even over the music, I could hear the very loud tannoy which made me jump every time the guard announced the next station, although that’s an observation rather than a complaint. At least it was audible!

I did consider staying for another hour, but as I was getting very hungry (I’d last eaten at 10:45 or so before I left the house), so it was time to head home. I wasn’t waiting very long for a bus, and taking me home was Arriva North West’s 4664 (SK15 GZA).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That looked good, re the lady on the train, I don't understand the lack of spatial awareness of some people, it's like people that park their trolley in the middle of a supermarket aisle while they look at the special offers so that you have to move it to get past.
If it was me it would be one strike and you're out, someone should be monitoring these people on CCTV and the next time they use the store/train etc they should be forced to wear a helmet with assorted wing mirrors attached.

I'm a bit tired and I've not been sleeping very well this week.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
3 shacks closer to 100% clearance of MerseyRail! You sure chose the right move to head back to town, 156 thrash is always welcome!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a good little trip there, and I enjoyed the read :). I've looked at getting a one area saveaway to get the West Kirby shacks from Penyffordd but I look at the price of that compared to the all areas and just think that I may as well get the all areas one in case I have time to do some more stuff.

Established Member
3 more shacks into the book :)

Absolutely, I think that's all of the Merseyrail stations in Area C visited now but I'll have to check to make sure.

Well done on those stations scratched chief. Glad you had a good day.

Thanks mate. I like to get use out of a SaveAway, so going out for a few hours after my course has finished seems like a good way to do that. I might have to upgrade to an All Areas one soon, especially as I'm running out of stations in Area C to visit.

That looked good, re the lady on the train, I don't understand the lack of spatial awareness of some people, it's like people that park their trolley in the middle of a supermarket aisle while they look at the special offers so that you have to move it to get past.
If it was me it would be one strike and you're out, someone should be monitoring these people on CCTV and the next time they use the store/train etc they should be forced to wear a helmet with assorted wing mirrors attached.

I'm a bit tired and I've not been sleeping very well this week.

I totally agree mate, selfish people like that would be the first to complain if someone did it to them. Apart from that, it blocked the door into the carriage, which is no good to anyone in an emergency.

3 shacks closer to 100% clearance of MerseyRail! You sure chose the right move to head back to town, 156 thrash is always welcome!

Oh definitely Tech, I'm hoping to clear the Northern Line completely by the time the track renewal project is completed. It shouldn't be too difficult to clear the whole lot by the end of the year. :)

I absolutely love 156s, the one I had this Thursday was an absolute beast, right up there with 156452 and 156464 for me.

Hall Road is covered by Area C Saveaways. For map scroll through this web page:-

http://www.merseytravel.gov.uk/Tickets/Documents/MT Tickets Adult Jan 2017 web.pdf

Thanks, I'll download a copy of that for future reference. :)

Sounds like a good little trip there, and I enjoyed the read :). I've looked at getting a one area saveaway to get the West Kirby shacks from Penyffordd but I look at the price of that compared to the all areas and just think that I may as well get the all areas one in case I have time to do some more stuff.

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed the read. Usually I'd do the same, but with there being so much stuff for me to do in Area C at the time my course started it made more sense to get the £3.90 one and keep £1.30 towards the next one. From next week though I may go for an All Areas so I can get the ones I need north of Hall Road. :)

--

I haven't properly typed up my report from this week yet (although it is in note form, so it shouldn't take me too long), but I hope to have it typed up and posted before next Thursday. :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Short but sweet.

Today’s day out was a bit shorter than usual because of the poor sleep I had the night before, but at least I still managed to make some progress.

As per usual, I got my SaveAway and went into town by bus, this time it was Arriva North West’s 4656 (SK15 GYR). Once at Lime Street, the plan was to go to Hunts Cross on the Manchester Oxford Road stopper, but once I boarded, the guard announced that due to an incident on the line 156454 was going to run non-stop to Manchester. Disappointed, I got off the Class 156 and headed over to catch the London Midland service to South Parkway instead. At least this time, I managed to get a seat facing in the direction of travel!

We depart on time at 12:04, with winner 350251 doing the honours, so it wasn’t a bad thing the ride on the 156 didn’t happen after all. A special mention goes to the guard of this service, whose customer service was outstanding. When he came to check my ticket, he was surprised that I also showed my receipt along with my Walrus card, positively bemused as to why I had to keep the receipt as proof of having a valid ticket on my smartcard. Even more so, he gave me a wave after I alighted at South Parkway, which was gratefully returned.

My route to my course consisted of 508124 up to Liverpool Central, and 507005 up to Fazakerley. After finishing slightly earlier than normal, I managed to get myself back to the station in time for the 15:01 back to Liverpool Central, which was operated by 507019. I already knew which station I was going for today, so I waited for the 15:25 up to Ormskirk, which turned out to be 508112. It must be one of those days, because again I had a lovely guard who had a smile on her face, one that I happily returned. I take 508112 up to Orrell Park, and having just missed the return service, I head over to the other platform and read some material from today’s session of my course to pass the time.

A six car set arrived to take me back to Liverpool Central, with 507023 Operations Inspector Stuart Mason leading its partner for the day, 508137. I was pleased to see a Byelaw Enforcement Officer on this service, although there wasn’t any trouble, it’s just nice to have that reassurance in the leading set of a six car train. Once I’m back at Liverpool Central, I decided to try and get myself some 156 thrash back into the city centre. Doing the honours was 507025, it was extremely busy, but I manage to get myself a seat in one of the tip-up seats in the wheelchair bays. Staying on as far as Hunts Cross, I start casually walking over to the other platform when I spot an approaching DMU, so I picked up the pace and managed to board 156480, although I would have missed it had it been any earlier.

What a great choice that was. 156480 was absolutely outstanding, providing excellent thrash all the way and not only that, but it was extremely tidy on the inside. I’ve had it before, but this time was better than the previous time I travelled on it. This is definitely another one to add to my favourites list along with 156452 and 156464. More amusingly at the end of this excellent journey, I decided to make use of the facilities for a PNB break, but when I’d finished the guard had got off and closed the door. Thankfully, I was able to let myself off and close the door behind me again.

To get me home, it was again Arriva North West’s 4656, a decent way to end the day!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Good to hear that 156480 is still down in Manchester/Liverpool and hasn't gone back to Heaton as that is one of my last 2 Northern 156s

Another station into your book, I bet that 156 running non-stop to Manchester would have been epic for thrash, depending on its path off course

Techniquest

Veteran Member
VSTP non-stop run to Manchester, no doubt via Eccles, would have been hard to get a good run but would have been a good one to get on!

One step closer to victory!

Kite159

Veteran Member
VSTP non-stop run to Manchester, no doubt via Eccles, would have been hard to get a good run but would have been a good one to get on!

It is a good run on the TPE non-stop service from Manchester Victoria to Liverpool, assuming the TPE is on time (which being TPE is very rare).

An even better run is the limited stop 319 operated service to Manchester Airport

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Enjoyable read there. What was the incident on the line, did you find out?

Established Member
Good to hear that 156480 is still down in Manchester/Liverpool and hasn't gone back to Heaton as that is one of my last 2 Northern 156s

Another station into your book, I bet that 156 running non-stop to Manchester would have been epic for thrash, depending on its path off course

You're in for a treat too, 156480 is outstanding.

That would have been great if I was heading that way, but never mind!

Definitely, clearing the Northern Line is definitely within reach now.

It is a good run on the TPE non-stop service from Manchester Victoria to Liverpool, assuming the TPE is on time (which being TPE is very rare).

An even better run is the limited stop 319 operated service to Manchester Airport

I haven't experienced a limited stop 319 run between Liverpool and Manchester Airport yet, but I've done a TransPennine run between Manchester Victoria and Liverpool Lime Street, that was really good, I agree.

Enjoyable read there. What was the incident on the line, did you find out?

Glad you enjoyed it mate, I didn't unfortunately.

Sounds like a good trip out chief. Hope you had fun.

I did thanks mate, it's always nice to get out for a few hours and make the most of a SaveAway.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
One more shack down! How many of your required shacks are on the Wirral line?

Established Member
Looking For a Sign

I decided for this week to have a break from ticking off Merseyrail stations and just decided to have a ride around the network with no particular goals in mind for a change. After a delayed departure from home, I take Arriva North West’s 4676 (SK15 GZO) into the city centre (wonderful, stopped at every set of lights), resulting in a photo finish to get the 11:55 Manchester Oxford Road stopper, my preferred choice to start the day. Thankfully, I make it to my train just in time and I sit back in my seat aboard the excellent 156426 all the way to Hunts Cross, deciding to do things a bit differently for a change and bag a few extra miles.

I’m pleased I did this, because none other than 507021 “Red Rum” arrived to take the 12:21 from Hunts Cross. I couldn’t resist smiling to myself, as the longer run to Hunts Cross had been made worthwhile with the arrival of my favourite unit. I take 507021 all the way to Liverpool Central as per usual, and also as per usual, I take the 12:50 from Liverpool Central to Fazakerley. Except this time, the 12:50 was operated by 508112. Once at my course, I think about how to spend the next couple of hours after the session has finished.

I again get a slightly early finish, and I make the 15:01 from Fazakerley, which was operated by 507005. At Liverpool Central, I decide to visit Hall Road again, especially as a friend advised me when I told him about my previous day out there was a sign on the station building that might be of interest to me. I caught the 15:23 from Liverpool Central, and sure enough, when I get to Hall Road I know exactly what my friend meant (see attached photo), and I was pleased I made the trip up there. The 15:50 back to Hunts Cross was operated by 507020 “John Peel”, which became quite busy around the core section of the Northern Line.

Once at Hunts Cross, I thought about taking the Oxford Road stopper back to Lime Street, but as it wasn’t due for a while, I decided on a different plan of action instead. I waited for the 16:51 from Hunts Cross, operated by 507016 leading partner 507025, taking this six car set as far as Liverpool South Parkway to try and get a winner Class 350. Once I get to the mainline platforms however, there was an opportunity waiting for me I wasn’t going to turn down!

On Platform 4 was just what I needed – 319368, operating the 17:04 to Preston. Leaving on time, I was the only passenger aboard this 300+ seat unit for the journey from Liverpool South Parkway and Liverpool Lime Street. I was pleased I went with this, because it was the first time I’ve been on a Class 319 from South Parkway (and, I've got to admit, I do really like 319s). Once I got back to Lime Street, I decided to head home to see how my girlfriend and Dad were, so I headed over to Queen Square Bus Station where Arriva North West’s 4661 (SK15 GYX) did the honours to take me home.

My report from today’s day out with a fellow forum member will be typed up and posted as and when time allows, I imagine I won’t have much free time for a while now I have a baby to help look after as well!

PS: With the image, I can't seem to get it to display at the correct orientation!

Attachments

• DSC_0257.jpg
    DSC_0257.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 28

fowler9

Established Member
Looking For a Sign

I decided for this week to have a break from ticking off Merseyrail stations and just decided to have a ride around the network with no particular goals in mind for a change. After a delayed departure from home, I take Arriva North West’s 4676 (SK15 GZO) into the city centre (wonderful, stopped at every set of lights), resulting in a photo finish to get the 11:55 Manchester Oxford Road stopper, my preferred choice to start the day. Thankfully, I make it to my train just in time and I sit back in my seat aboard the excellent 156426 all the way to Hunts Cross, deciding to do things a bit differently for a change and bag a few extra miles.

I’m pleased I did this, because none other than 507021 “Red Rum” arrived to take the 12:21 from Hunts Cross. I couldn’t resist smiling to myself, as the longer run to Hunts Cross had been made worthwhile with the arrival of my favourite unit. I take 507021 all the way to Liverpool Central as per usual, and also as per usual, I take the 12:50 from Liverpool Central to Fazakerley. Except this time, the 12:50 was operated by 508112. Once at my course, I think about how to spend the next couple of hours after the session has finished.

I again get a slightly early finish, and I make the 15:01 from Fazakerley, which was operated by 507005. At Liverpool Central, I decide to visit Hall Road again, especially as a friend advised me when I told him about my previous day out there was a sign on the station building that might be of interest to me. I caught the 15:23 from Liverpool Central, and sure enough, when I get to Hall Road I know exactly what my friend meant (see attached photo), and I was pleased I made the trip up there. The 15:50 back to Hunts Cross was operated by 507020 “John Peel”, which became quite busy around the core section of the Northern Line.

Once at Hunts Cross, I thought about taking the Oxford Road stopper back to Lime Street, but as it wasn’t due for a while, I decided on a different plan of action instead. I waited for the 16:51 from Hunts Cross, operated by 507016 leading partner 507025, taking this six car set as far as Liverpool South Parkway to try and get a winner Class 350. Once I get to the mainline platforms however, there was an opportunity waiting for me I wasn’t going to turn down!

On Platform 4 was just what I needed – 319368, operating the 17:04 to Preston. Leaving on time, I was the only passenger aboard this 300+ seat unit for the journey from Liverpool South Parkway and Liverpool Lime Street. I was pleased I went with this, because it was the first time I’ve been on a Class 319 from South Parkway (and, I've got to admit, I do really like 319s). Once I got back to Lime Street, I decided to head home to see how my girlfriend and Dad were, so I headed over to Queen Square Bus Station where Arriva North West’s 4661 (SK15 GYX) did the honours to take me home.

My report from today’s day out with a fellow forum member will be typed up and posted as and when time allows, I imagine I won’t have much free time for a while now I have a baby to help look after as well!

PS: With the image, I can't seem to get it to display at the correct orientation!

Congrats on the new arrival mate.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter (sorry if I got that wrong!) good sir!

I've seen that sign before at quite a few stations on MerseyRail, although I don't remember which ones. It must be quite old by now!

Established Member
Congrats on the new arrival mate.

Cheers mate. :)

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter (sorry if I got that wrong!) good sir!

I've seen that sign before at quite a few stations on MerseyRail, although I don't remember which ones. It must be quite old by now!

Cheers mate, you remembered correctly. :)

I was talking to the bloke in the ticket office at Hall Road today, he told me the map of the nearby area by the ticket office is way out of date, but it's been left up anyway, which is nice I think. I took a photo of it when I was there earlier which (if I remember!) I'll include in my mini report for today when I get around to writing it up.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Congrats!

A good little trip there again, and 319 thrash between South Parkway and Lime Street is certainly excellent!

Established Member
Congrats!

A good little trip there again, and 319 thrash between South Parkway and Lime Street is certainly excellent!

Thanks mate. :)

It was a nice little afternoon out, I enjoyed it. The 319 thrash was most welcome too!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Congratulations mate, there's no feeling in the world like looking into the eyes of your new baby. My youngest is 14 today and I'm so proud of him.

djpontrack

Congratulations on your recent arrival. My daughter was born 23 years ago today and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. She is a parent herself now and my lovely grandson turned one a few days ago.

Established Member
Congratulations mate, there's no feeling in the world like looking into the eyes of your new baby. My youngest is 14 today and I'm so proud of him.

Thanks mate, my partner and I are over the moon with her. I've got to admit, I cried my eyes out when I got to hold her for the first time. :)

Congratulations on your recent arrival. My daughter was born 23 years ago today and it was the best thing that ever happened to me. She is a parent herself now and my lovely grandson turned one a few days ago.

Thanks mate. I've got to admit, the arrival of my daughter is the best thing to happen to me by far. Second only to meeting her mother. :)

Congratulations on the new arrival! I hope your daughter doesn't cause too much in the way of sleepless nights :)

Thanks mate. Early days yet, but she's woken up a couple of times a night since she's been home. It's to be expected though. :)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh man, you're going to get me started in a minute :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.