• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

507021's Merseyrail days out

Status
Not open for further replies.

djpontrack

Well done getting your last 507 & 508 for haulage mate. I've not done Cressington or Aigburth yet and the only other stations that I need on the Merseyrail line between Hunts Cross and Southport are Brunswick, Bank Hall and Seaforth & Litherland so I must make the effort and have a visit soon.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Many congratulations on clearing the MerseyRail fleet! That's 2 of us at least this year who've achieved that hallowed status, possibly Noddy1878 too. Won't be long until you join me in the 100% Cleared status as I can't imagine you need that many shacks now!

Established Member
Congratulations on clearing merseyrail :)

Thanks Kite, it's nice to finally be able to say I've cleared the fleet I've got to admit! :)

Great read that 507021. Cressington is a lovely quirky little little station in a very pleasant area. Aigburth is a little closer to where I live however with West Allerton at the end of my road I rarely use it. Speaking of Aigburth station I used to be a member of the Liverpool Model Railway Society which back in the day had its base in the station building. I am guessing that it was the old station masters house and upon entering every room had a model railway in it in various states of construction.

Anyway, made up you have cleared the 507's and 508's, well done. St Michaels and Bank Hall shouldn't prove too difficult to clear.

Totally agree on the 156's, their appearance on Lime Street to Oxford Road services seems to have reduced a little of late sadly. Not by much though.

Glad you enjoyed it mate. It is, certainly a massive contrast to the more modern stations on the network, especially the upcoming station at Maghull North which looks space age in comparison. I didn't know the Liverpool Model Club was based there, definitely something I've learned today!

Thanks, I am tempted to try and do them all again before they get withdrawn just for the sake of it, but I'm really made up I've got them all. I can't say I'll be in any rush to clear the new Stadler EMUs!

They're the best DMUs on that line in my view, although they're not that much newer than the Class 142s and 150s, to me the 156s feel like they're at least a decade newer.

Well done getting your last 507 & 508 for haulage mate. I've not done Cressington or Aigburth yet and the only other stations that I need on the Merseyrail line between Hunts Cross and Southport are Brunswick, Bank Hall and Seaforth & Litherland so I must make the effort and have a visit soon.

Thanks mate. They're both nice stations to be fair, certainly a lot nicer than the other three you need. The one thing I like about Seaforth and Litherland is that it's an island platform, although there's not that much to look at from it!

Many congratulations on clearing the MerseyRail fleet! That's 2 of us at least this year who've achieved that hallowed status, possibly Noddy1878 too. Won't be long until you join me in the 100% Cleared status as I can't imagine you need that many shacks now!

Thanks Tech, I've got to admit I didn't think I'd do it before the end of the year, but it feels great that I've managed it. I still need 29 shacks, but I hope to get a couple more before Christmas, which ones I'm not sure but I hope to have the Northern Line cleared for shacks by the time the Wirral Line re-opens again.

fowler9

Established Member
I have a mate who lived not too far from Seaforth and Litherland for a good few years. One thing I didn't like about it was leaving the station and walking through the park alongside the railway line after dark. Ha ha. It isn't great around Bank Hall and I have only used the station occasionally after going to the match. Brunswick is alright, have another mate who lived in a flat by there near the Britannia pub right overlooking the Mersey.

Established Member
I have a mate who lived not too far from Seaforth and Litherland for a good few years. One thing I didn't like about it was leaving the station and walking through the park alongside the railway line after dark. Ha ha. It isn't great around Bank Hall and I have only used the station occasionally after going to the match. Brunswick is alright, have another mate who lived in a flat by there near the Britannia pub right overlooking the Mersey.

I'm dreading when I go to tick off Bank Hall, every time I go through there there's always an awful smell. lol.

djpontrack

Thanks for the info fowler9. Is the Britannia pub far from Brunswick station? When I do any new shacks I like to have a wander if time permits and pop into a real ale pub.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Excellent work 507021. All cleared and just shacks to go. I don't know it very well at all (only been on it once :oops:), but enjoyed reading the way you've picked up all the 507s and 508s.

fowler9

Established Member
Thanks for the info fowler9. Is the Britannia pub far from Brunswick station? When I do any new shacks I like to have a wander if time permits and pop into a real ale pub.

Its about a 15 minute walk. My mates flat was about a ten minute walk so not right next door to the river. If you look on Google Maps my mate lived in flats which show on Maps as being by Swimsound and Tissea Software. It doesn't give the name of the little estate. His balcony looked right on to the river. The pub isn't the best real ale place but the location is excellent. You can see the terminal where the oil tankers dock just up the river and Cammel Lairds a bit further up. It is more pleasant than it sounds.

fowler9

Established Member
I'm dreading when I go to tick off Bank Hall, every time I go through there there's always an awful smell. lol.

Ha ha. I wouldn't recommend a stroll outside at certain times of the day but to be honest I've never had bother. I think the smell comes from a plant that makes stuff like vegetable oil just up the road on the docks. Used to be called Beoco and later Cargill. I think they extract the oil from beans and stuff. I lasted a day in a summer job from Uni blasting bits of dead rat and pigeon out of the machines. It was more of an education than Uni, ha ha.

Established Member
Excellent work 507021. All cleared and just shacks to go. I don't know it very well at all (only been on it once :oops:), but enjoyed reading the way you've picked up all the 507s and 508s.

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed the reports. :)

Ha ha. I wouldn't recommend a stroll outside at certain times of the day but to be honest I've never had bother. I think the smell comes from a plant that makes stuff like vegetable oil just up the road on the docks. Used to be called Beoco and later Cargill. I think they extract the oil from beans and stuff. I lasted a day in a summer job from Uni blasting bits of dead rat and pigeon out of the machines. It was more of an education than Uni, ha ha.

The smell is the worst thing about the area, but sometimes it's not too bad. I've gone through the area in the car with the windows and vents shut and I could still smell it. lol.

Doesn't sound like the job I'd want to do mate!

Last edited:

djpontrack

Its about a 15 minute walk. My mates flat was about a ten minute walk so not right next door to the river. If you look on Google Maps my mate lived in flats which show on Maps as being by Swimsound and Tissea Software. It doesn't give the name of the little estate. His balcony looked right on to the river. The pub isn't the best real ale place but the location is excellent. You can see the terminal where the oil tankers dock just up the river and Cammel Lairds a bit further up. It is more pleasant than it sounds.

Nice one mate. I will give it a go next time I'm doing a Merseyrail bash. It's really good getting off at a new shack and just having a wander. You never know what you're going to see, even if it's a bit of a rundown area.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

:lol::lol:

djpontrack

I've just had a look at my rail atlas and I need 19 Merseyrail shacks, 10 on the Wirral/Chester side of the Mersey and 9 on the Liverpool side.

fowler9

Established Member
Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed the reports. :)

The smell is the worst thing about the area, but sometimes it's not too bad. I've gone through the area in the car with the windows and vents shut and I could still smell it. lol.

Doesn't sound like the job I'd want to do mate!

It was an experience. Ha ha. Not a fun one. I am confident that that is what the prevailing smell in the area is. I remember it close up. These things make us who we are. Ha ha. :D

fowler9

Established Member
Nice one mate. I will give it a go next time I'm doing a Merseyrail bash. It's really good getting off at a new shack and just having a wander. You never know what you're going to see, even if it's a bit of a rundown area.

To be honest it is an alright area, a lot of car showrooms and office blocks in the old dock buildings. You really don't need to worry. It is kind of on the threshold of where the great Robbie Fowler grew up (Ha ha) and a lot of new development. It isn't a long walk to the Britannia but if you time it right you can get an 82A which is only every half an hour.

djpontrack

What do you need on the Liverpool side?

Aughton Park, Town Green, Old Roan, Walton, Seaforth & Litherland, Bank Hall, Brunswick, Aigburth and Cressington are the Merseyrail shacks I need on that side of the river. I also need West Allerton which is the only other nearby shack required.

fowler9

Established Member
Aughton Park, Town Green, Old Roan, Walton, Seaforth & Litherland, Bank Hall, Brunswick, Aigburth and Cressington are the Merseyrail shacks I need on that side of the river. I also need West Allerton which is the only other nearby shack required.

West Allerton is right at the end of my road. It is quite a pleasant walk from there to either Aigburth or Cressington or you can head to Parkway. If ever you want a local guide give me a shout.

djpontrack

West Allerton is right at the end of my road. It is quite a pleasant walk from there to either Aigburth or Cressington or you can head to Parkway. If ever you want a local guide give me a shout.

Thanks for that mate. I was in your area a few months ago and did Mossley Hill. I had a quick pint in Pi about 30 seconds from the station.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A huge congrats on clearing the Merseyrail units - something I'm one 507 and 508 away from. It sounds like a great day was had there too and I enjoyed the read.

Established Member
A huge congrats on clearing the Merseyrail units - something I'm one 507 and 508 away from. It sounds like a great day was had there too and I enjoyed the read.

Thanks FQ, glad you enjoyed the read. :)

Out of interest, which 507 and 508 do you need?

fowler9

Established Member
Thanks for that mate. I was in your area a few months ago and did Mossley Hill. I had a quick pint in Pi about 30 seconds from the station.

Yeah Pi is a little gem to be honest. Not the cheapest but probably the best place in the whole of south Liverpool for a decent pint. There are lots of other good pubs but they are more of your standard kind of fare. That was originally just a little row of shops. It is a lovely area and I am lucky to live here. We have a relatively new bar around the corner on the row of shops by West Allerton Station called The Butchers. It was a butchers called Coopers until just before last Christmas. To be honest I kind of wish it was still the Butchers but Tesco have multiple shops in the area now. There was also a Fish Mongers called Hannahs the other side of the Bridge from Pi which was run by family friends. That has gone to. They just can't compete with the supermarkets.

djpontrack

Yeah Pi is a little gem to be honest. Not the cheapest but probably the best place in the whole of south Liverpool for a decent pint. There are lots of other good pubs but they are more of your standard kind of fare. That was originally just a little row of shops. It is a lovely area and I am lucky to live here. We have a relatively new bar around the corner on the row of shops by West Allerton Station called The Butchers. It was a butchers called Coopers until just before last Christmas. To be honest I kind of wish it was still the Butchers but Tesco have multiple shops in the area now. There was also a Fish Mongers called Hannahs the other side of the Bridge from Pi which was run by family friends. That has gone to. They just can't compete with the supermarkets.

Thanks for telling me about the Butchers at West Allerton. I've had a look online at it and it sounds interesting and near the station which is good. I'm trying to work out a plan to do some required shacks and get some Merseyrail mileage.

fowler9

Established Member
Thanks for telling me about the Butchers at West Allerton. I've had a look online at it and it sounds interesting and near the station which is good. I'm trying to work out a plan to do some required shacks and get some Merseyrail mileage.

You can pretty much fall out of the station in to the Butchers. A little bit further out of the station the other way is The Greenhills which is a nice enough lace if a little more generic. My favourite little move to get in to town from West Allerton is the 37 mins past out of town to Parkway. Then I pretty much have a 319 to myself from Parkway to Lime Street from Platform 4 down the slows, might be good if you are after track. Same going the other way heading out of town to Parkway on the service fro Preston to Parkway.

djpontrack

You can pretty much fall out of the station in to the Butchers. A little bit further out of the station the other way is The Greenhills which is a nice enough lace if a little more generic. My favourite little move to get in to town from West Allerton is the 37 mins past out of town to Parkway. Then I pretty much have a 319 to myself from Parkway to Lime Street from Platform 4 down the slows, might be good if you are after track. Same going the other way heading out of town to Parkway on the service fro Preston to Parkway.

I think I've done the slow lines there once before but it was a long time ago so it would be good to do them again. Sounds like a nice area mate, I'm looking forward to travelling around the area when I've got a free day.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.