• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5x Class 153 conversion to bike and baggage vans for Scotrail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
I can assure you all that the cushions on the Explorer are an order of magnitude thicker and softer than those on the 156. You sink into them rather than perching on them.
Nice to have a first-hand report. Did you sit in one for the length of a journey or just while it was static in Oban?
That's the problem with that type of seat. They will soon collapse and become very uncomfortable.
Surely that depends on the foam that's been specified though, no?

InOban

Established Member
I only tried it in Oban. Time will tell how long the squab will last before it ceases to recover after use.
BTW the suggestion that refreshments would be included when the £10 ticket starts next month came from a tweet by Modern Railways.

Rick1984

I find the ironing boards in the Scottish class 156 comfortable enough, especially compared to other examples

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I find the ironing boards in the Scottish class 156 comfortable enough, especially compared to other examples
They're certainly ergonomic for one. When I boarded one of the refurbished 156s on a Fort William service at Queen Street, I was dreading the near 4 hour journey. Turns out it's actually not that bad.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

People tend to lump all ironing boards together in their disdain. In reality the thing that contributes most to comfort is the base, not the back, and ScotRail and Northern have both used a different base to Southern and Thameslink, which is thicker and more contoured. It makes a massive difference, and you rarely hear complaints about them from people who have actually sat in them. Indeed, more likely you hear stuff like "wow, this is loads nicer than the London train" from people changing onto the Barrow/Windermere 195s off a Pendolino or Voyager.

LowLevel

Established Member
People tend to lump all ironing boards together in their disdain. In reality the thing that contributes most to comfort is the base, not the back, and ScotRail and Northern have both used a different base to Southern and Thameslink, which is thicker and more contoured. It makes a massive difference, and you rarely hear complaints about them from people who have actually sat in them. Indeed, more likely you hear stuff like "wow, this is loads nicer than the London train" from people changing onto the Barrow/Windermere 195s off a Pendolino or Voyager.

I've found the "Northern ironing boards" to be a perfectly comfortable seat on all of the trains they are fitted to, IE the CAF units, ex Scottish 156 and 158. I did some pretty extensively travelling on them last month and had no complaints at all.

Neptune

Established Member
I find it an awful cheap shot phrase personally. Most people who complain about them probably haven’t even sat on one.

I’ve been on the Thameslink units (which I grant are uncomfortable due to the flat base) but the seat base is totally different to the contoured base on the Northern units which are absolutely fine.

I’m sure people will convince themselves that they’re uncomfortable even when they’re not, just so they complain at ‘ironing boards’.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I’m sure people will convince themselves that they’re uncomfortable even when they’re not, just so they complain at ‘ironing boards’.

Possibly so. There are upsides of the shape, too - they have the safety benefit of a high back while not being as claustrophobic as some other high back designs.

Back on topic, I'd pay extra to sit in the 156 rather than put up with Richmonds in the 153 which will no doubt have collapsed bases before long.

Killingworth

Established Member
But how are these bike carriers getting on in service? 153305 and 153380 are reported to be operating to Oban today.

Compared with all the talk about the sleepers the introduction of these units seems to have slipped below the radar!

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Can we drop the discussion about seats please and stick to the topic of this thread - Class 153 conversions to bike and baggage vans.

InOban

Established Member
I haven’t personally checked but I've seen several pictures on twitter showing them well used.

fgwrich

Established Member
Can we drop the discussion about seats please and stick to the topic of this thread - Class 153 conversions to bike and baggage vans.

Thank you, the endless Seat debate on every thread is getting more than a little tiresome, particularly as a lot of it is a matter of personal opinion.

When I travelled on the Dogbox’s last month, the passenger part of it was well used on the outbound. On the return a few bikes and backpacks were in the luggage part with a reasonable number also sitting in the 153 (as did i). All in all, once the ticket issuing glitches can be ironed out (it wasn’t easy to purchase the Highland Explorer ticket), I hope this works out well for ScotRail.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Easiest way to avoid the issue with the ticketing would simply be to put it in the system as First Class. Fares for that are commercial so there is nothing stopping them being set at a £10 uplift for all journeys.

Hmm when your charged a premium to sit in a 153 you know the railways have lost the plot.

haggishunter

…. All in all, once the ticket issuing glitches can be ironed out (it wasn’t easy to purchase the Highland Explorer ticket), I hope this works out well for ScotRail.
Out of interest how or where did you purchase the Highland Explorer ticket?

fgwrich

Established Member
Out of interest how or where did you purchase the Highland Explorer ticket?

On the 153 in the end. Neither website, telephone ticket office staff (though we did have a good phone call!) or ticket office at Queen Street could do it - the Queen Street Ticket office would only sell me one if I had a bike with me, which I didn’t.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Easiest way to avoid the issue with the ticketing would simply be to put it in the system as First Class. Fares for that are commercial so there is nothing stopping them being set at a £10 uplift for all journeys.

Or even ditch the idea of charging extra to sit in the 153. That will be the easiest way to avoid issues.

But Transport Scotland wants to fleece tourists by pushing the "luxury" of that area, which will only backfire.

Or even ditch the idea of charging extra to sit in the 153. That will be the easiest way to avoid issues.

But Transport Scotland wants to fleece tourists by pushing the "luxury" of that area, which will only backfire.
I imagine it's only the diplomacy of the train guards preventing locals from getting seriously angry about it.

fgwrich

Established Member
You do get a refreshment goodybag for your £10.
Indeed, and a number of free tea and coffee refills. My only gripe with the goodybag was the fruit pot, which combined with some excellent highland track work, can be tricky to open without spilling the juice inside (more a manufacturer gripe!).

My only minor gripe with the livery, is the odd choice of vinylling over the toilet window (no contravision there!). Not that you can see out of it mind, but it does make it a little dingy!

py_megapixel

Established Member
Surely charging extra to sit in the 153 will lead to the cyclists refusing to use it and they will just continue to put their bikes in the wheelchair space on the 156. Seems like a bit of a silly idea to me!

trebor79

Established Member
Surely charging extra to sit in the 153 will lead to the cyclists refusing to use it and they will just continue to put their bikes in the wheelchair space on the 156. Seems like a bit of a silly idea to me!
The converted 153 has better bike racks that are less likely to result in your bike getting damaged. And presumably the guard will say "Oi, put your bike in the dog box".

haggishunter

"And pay a tenner for the privilege", they will say, "no chance!"
You don’t pay to put the bike in there. If you put a bike in the 156 there’s no guarantee you’ll be able to sit anywhere near it.

I do think there needs to be consideration to a modest bike reservation charge because of the problems I hear about unused reservations where people book up free slots in case they wish to use them (though less of an issue on the 153s).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
People do that with bike reservations?! Cheeky swines...

I am glad to hear the 153s appear to be performing so far, all sounds promising for next year when I will hopefully get to go and play with some rides up that way :D

Status
Not open for further replies.