• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

6 Coach XC HST

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcm1106

Since when have XC HSTs been formed of only 6 coaches?
I'm aware that 7 is/was the norm recently but at Tamworth just now, the northbound 1606 only had 6. Seems to have been missing coach B so presumably no onboard catering...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hydro

Established Member
Maybe it had a coach knocked out due to a fault?

tcm1106

Maybe it had a coach knocked out due to a fault?

It's possible but the platform displays were showing 6 coaches as well which I didn't think would be the case if it was a last minute reforming job...

Hydro

Established Member
It may have been running all day like that. If it got knocked out at it's overnight stabling point, and TOPS was updated, then TRUST would use the TOPS details. I believe automated CIS use details from TRUST to update the displays.

shedman

It's been like for most of the week if not longer. I had it the other night and stopped in the usual place then realised I had a right walk to ring out!

Hydro

Established Member
I've had the NMT in 4 and 6, so ner. It certainly flies as a 4 + 2.

shedman

Beat you all, I've had them back to back, single power car (no coaches), 2+1, in fact pretty much most formations you can I
imagine. Only down side is it was on a depot!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
FGW had a 2+2 formation for a short while deputising for a Turbo, something to do with driver traction knowledge, route knowledge and I think emergency cover due to illness?

Of course, there's also the infamous occasion when one on the Newquay branch ran as a single power car with passengers in the back!

Hydro

Established Member
BUT that GC HST 4+2 went like stink of a spade! is 4+2 the smallest allowable formation?

You can have as many or as little as you like, but once you get less than 5, you start having to limit the speed. 5's the minimum for 125 running.

Dreadnought

It's been like for most of the week if not longer. I had it the other night and stopped in the usual place then realised I had a right walk to ring out!

I saw it yesterday at Sheffield. The set is missing 45003, the Trailer Composite Catering coach!

On tuesday i travelled on the 19:03 service from Birmingham to Leeds and on dep from New Street there was an announcement about no catering so i wonder if this is the same set, when i got off at Leeds i noticed that rear power car was 43321. I was in booked in coach E.

Dreadnought

On tuesday i travelled on the 19:03 service from Birmingham to Leeds and on dep from New Street there was an announcement about no catering so i wonder if this is the same set, when i got off at Leeds i noticed that rear power car was 43321. I was in booked in coach E.

When I saw it at Sheffield 43321 was one of the power cars, 43384 was the other, so should be the same set.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Would this be the service that operated last friday on the 19 38 ex newcastle? As i caught it to alnmouth and the coach with catering in had all the lights out and was out of use within the set. ? So still not fixed i presume?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
There were two XC-liveried HST coaches alone in Craigentinny when I passed today.

simonm

No catering? Since XC have ripped out all of the buffets surely none have any catering (and I'm not counting the trolley.....)

YorkshireBear

Established Member
No catering? Since XC have ripped out all of the buffets surely none have any catering (and I'm not counting the trolley.....)

one of the coaches has a small area for preparing trolley and a few other bits.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Here's the two XC HST coaches that were in Craigentinny on Saturday (the photo was taken at 1556):

Attachments

• IMG_0987.jpg
    IMG_0987.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 31

sprinterguy

Established Member
Here's the two XC HST coaches that were in Craigentinny on Saturday (the photo was taken at 1556):
And a third in the background in the form of a TGS. Looks to me as if a whole set has been split, and I think that's a pair of TSOs that we're looking at there; I can't spy any cantrail height yellow stripes. Looks to have been bogie work just carried out on one of them, which would explain why the set would need to have been split up. Could be wrong though.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
And a third in the background in the form of a TGS. Looks to me as if a whole set has been split, and I think that's a pair of TSOs that we're looking at there; I can't spy any cantrail height yellow stripes. Looks to have been bogie work just carried out on one of them, which would explain why the set would need to have been split up. Could be wrong though.

Nope, the coach behind them on the left was part of a full HST minus Power Cars!

Dreadnought

I thought there was 5 spare TSOs in the XC HST fleet after they reduced the formations to 2+7 from 2+8 last year. Presumably as Craigentinny is there home depot this is where they will be parked.

Status
Not open for further replies.