• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

60% increase in 16-25 railcard holders

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Young people are increasingly using the railways as costs of petrol and car insurance soar.

Record numbers of young people are using the 16-25 Railcard, making 50 million journeys by rail every year. This is an increase of 60 per cent compared to five years ago, according to ATOC.

There were over 1.2million 16-25 Railcard holders last year, almost a third higher than the 950,000 who had a Railcard in 2005.

On average, young people with a Railcard make an annual saving of £159 a year off the cost of their rail travel and make around 40 journeys by rail a year.

Hefty car insurance premiums penalise young people. The average premium quoted for young women recently topped £1,800. Young men face even steeper quotes averaging over £3,100.

On top of this forecourt fuel prices have also climbed by almost a quarter – 23% – over the past two years to 133.7p per litre by the end of 2011, adding even more pressure to the cost of motoring faced by young people.

http://www.railstaff.co.uk/2012/03/19/young-people-turn-to-rail/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shaggy

I will greatly miss mine when I become ineligible from 21st May this year. I have held one continuously since I turned 16 and I have literally saved thousands of pounds on rail fares.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I will greatly miss mine when I become ineligible from 21st May this year. I have held one continuously since I turned 16 and I have literally saved thousands of pounds on rail fares.

Although I've got a few years left with mine, I'm already dreading not having it. The savings I've made have been considerable, I can usually pay for the cost of the card in a couple of journeys - as I believe their promotional material states.

I'm not surprised ATOC are citing rising motoring costs. I passed my test some considerable time ago, but haven't driven since - it's just not realistic to spend that sort of money, especially when I don't have it.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

welcome to the real world! It is a shock when your student railcard runs out and you have to pay full price!

CC 72100

Established Member
Part of the reason for this could be promotions. For example, my student bank account is with Natwest, purely because a) they have a branch on campus, but mainly b) because they gave a free railcard with the account.

Even If I had paid for one, I'd have earnt that money back within a couple of months. I just think - for every two tickets I buy, I get one free!

Rwhunited

I am 18 and will be having my railcard until 25, dreading loosing it as i save more than the cost on 1 journey to my girlfriends, glad I will be on a decent salary when I turn 25, and the Network Rail 75 off to work.

Pugwash

Given the cost of driving with particular emphasis on the cost of insurance, I think the government is going to be surprised at how few young people will be able to afford to own and operate a car, they may pass their test, but will they be able to justify £400 a month for a car to just sit on the road outside.

I predict public transport is going to have boom coming up, the problem for the railways is how to provide the capacity.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I predict public transport is going to have boom coming up, the problem for the railways is how to provide the capacity.
I think that boom is already happening! In the last couple of years the privatised rail industry has finally started to take steps in the right direction towards providing additional capacity in the infrastructure to cope with the growth in passenger numbers that we are currently witnessing, but the industry is going to have to step up its' game considerably if it aims to keep pace with future demand for rail travel and perhaps even act like a competent business.

SS4

Established Member
I am 18 and will be having my railcard until 25, dreading loosing it as i save more than the cost on 1 journey to my girlfriends, glad I will be on a decent salary when I turn 25, and the Network Rail 75 off to work.

Buy it on the day before your 26th birthday and get an extra year ;)

I intend to get a 3 year railcard towards the end of May for the same purpose :lol:

Clip

Established Member
Thats great to read of the increase in usage - though i dont think its all down to the price of petrol and insurance. We have had record numbers of people attending university for the last 6 years also therefore an increase in in people takin gup the railcard as they know they will save money.

But im pleased.

cuccir

Established Member
glad I will be on a decent salary when I turn 25, and the Network Rail 75 off to work.

How very optimistic!

I'm not looking forward to losing mine - around 18 more months on discounted travel. Will have to do an ALR in spring 2013...

Crossover

Established Member
Part of the reason for this could be promotions. For example, my student bank account is with Natwest, purely because a) they have a branch on campus, but mainly b) because they gave a free railcard with the account.

I'd say similar. I, like many, have had 5 years of free railcards from Natwest, with the last one being the one I have at the moment. It could be part of the reason why I have taken so much to rail travel!!!

To be honest, it is the only reason I went with Natwest...5 year railcard vs. 1 year NUS Extra card when I was living 2 hours from home when at uni was a complete no-brainer! I had a meeting about 12 months ago with a manager at Lloyds TSB where I also bank and I told him why the reason why I had gone to Natwest for my student account...from his response, it sounds like they have lost a lot of business in this way to the deal Natwest have

supervc-10

Not 100% sure where they get those insurance quotes from- I'm 20 and it's £750 for fully comp. OK, so it's an aged 1.2 Polo, I've never claimed apart from a windscreen (which apparently doesn't count), clean licence, and my parents are named drivers on it, but even so it's not even close to £3,000!

However, I've still got my railcard. Driving is expensive, and if I'm going up to London then I take the train unless I can fill the car. The train is cheaper (especially if I pre-book) and faster, and no worrying about parking as I can walk to the station. No wonder FGW are having to lengthen their HSTs!

Zoe

Established Member
it's just not realistic to spend that sort of money, especially when I don't have it.
Just wait until you end up having having to make an intercity journey at short notice without booking in advance and without a railcard.

steve099

Buy it on the day before your 26th birthday and get an
I intend to get a 3 year railcard towards the end of May for the same purpose :lol:
Word of warning.. I attempted to do that and the system wouldn't let me.:|

Established Member
There's the opportunity cost of otherwise earning a salary. ;)

That's if you can get a job! Some of the PhDs I've been looking at recently can give quite a decent wage, especially when you think a lot of graduates are going into low skilled work with poor pay these days.

Shaggy

Word of warning.. I attempted to do that and the system wouldn't let me.:|

Simply because you can't.

You can only buy a 3 year railcard up to your 24th birthday.

The best thing to do is buy your last railcard the day before your 26th birthday. It's a strangely poignant occasion but at least there'll be one more year to go!

jon0844

Veteran Member

This is why it would be nice to have a national railcard for people 25+, even if the discount was slightly less (e.g. 25% instead of 33%) or was more expensive to purchase in the first place.

ATOC has its partner card, on trial, which has some benefits - but otherwise it is a shock and there's currently no way to reward regular rail users (or encourage more usage) besides season tickets or discounts for when people travel in groups.

The exception being in the former NSE area of course, although the £13 minimum fare in the week makes that pretty useless at times.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You can always join the Forces to qualify for a HMF Railcard (& a few free rail warrants). The Royal Navy takes on older applicants - I was the oldest person for my intake at 28 yrs. Then join the railway when you come out (although that might knock your passion for travel on its head).

As an alternative for those who would rather make love than war - then get some local lass up the duff and put in for a Family & Friends RC. Ideally if you time it right you should do the deed 9 months before your YP RC runs out!:p

JB1601

I am 18 and will be having my railcard until 25, dreading loosing it as i save more than the cost on 1 journey to my girlfriends,

What a different an apostrophe can make - sounds like you have a few!

I say bring on the nationwide Two Together Railcard, would sort things out for me and my missus as we do most of our travelling together! Unfortunately looking like at least 2013 before they finish their consultation on that one...

Status
Not open for further replies.