• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

89jordanbj

Westbury is very juicy indeed, definitely put an app in for that !
Grade 6, 12hrs double manned on days and single on nights I believe.

Fringes with five other SB/Workstations, nice mix of express, regional and local passenger, plenty of freight traffic and some tricky Class 7 freights upto London from the quarries. Two single lines with acceptance slots, station and yard areas at Westbury to manage - very interesting location.

Almost tempted myself !
I put my app in a couple of months ago along with Worcester and Rugby but all been sat at test completed since. Hopefully see some movement soon with lockdown restrictions gradually being eased.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I put my app in a couple of months ago along with Worcester and Rugby but all been sat at test completed since. Hopefully see some movement soon with lockdown restrictions gradually being eased.

Westbury, Worcester or Rugby quite mix there.

Worcester for the experience of classic Great Western signalling.

Westbury for the single manning on nights, and freight challenge.

Rugby for the vast experience of working the west coast and all its challenges.

Allaboard78

Can I ask what is good about single manning on nights?

89jordanbj

Yep, I live in Newport so Worcester and Westbury are right at the limit of my commutable distance. And Rugby I would be happy renting with a view to a permanent relocation. All sound interesting!

SWTurbo

Is it just me who can’t see the westbury jobs on the site? I can see the 7x Didcot jobs (and have just been turned down from the Basingstoke one!)

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Yep, I live in Newport so Worcester and Westbury are right at the limit of my commutable distance. And Rugby I would be happy renting with a view to a permanent relocation. All sound interesting!

Worcester is very workable from Newport, Westbury might be on a par with TVSC commute time wise?
Rugby, Definitely a rent job - I spent 10 years in Northampton before coming back to Wales, plenty of new houses aka rentals round rugby area.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Is it just me who can’t see the westbury jobs on the site? I can see the 7x Didcot jobs (and have just been turned down from the Basingstoke one!)

They where listed some months ago I believe, very very rare external listing.

89jordanbj

Worcester is very workable from Newport, Westbury might be on a par with TVSC commute time wise?
Rugby, Definitely a rent job - I spent 10 years in Northampton before coming back to Wales, plenty of new houses aka rentals round rugby area.
According to Google Maps Westbury is about 1hr 5m from me and TVSC around 1hr 30m..but worth noting that traffic levels are lower at the moment.

I am open to renting then relocating to an area closer to Westbury (if I was to be successful). I have a few close friends that moved to just past Bristol with no regrets so the prospect of it doesn't daunt me in the slightest.

amanda08

Woopwoop!
It's official! I've been given a training date :D
Start 27th July in York

Feeling very excited now :)

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Woopwoop!
It's official! I've been given a training date :D
Start 27th July in York

Feeling very excited now :)

Excellent, try and avoid the haunted room at the Park Inn !!!!!! Getting woken up in the small hours by the shower going full blast, then stopping on it’s own isn’t good !
Nor is the really weird feeling and dark shapes...I kid you not.

amanda08

Excellent, try and avoid the haunted room at the Park Inn !!!!!! Getting woken up in the small hours by the shower going full blast, then stopping on it’s own isn’t good !
Nor is the really weird feeling and dark shapes...I kid you not.
!!!!

Well then!
Now not sure if this is some sort of hazing lol

Kevyboy

Any idea how to answer the overview questions like why do you want this job? Interview on Thursday, maybe trying to look too much into it.

Thanks