A career as a signaller

Rigchick

Does anyone know if there’s been a policy change about training? Finished AB IST and been told I’m on a TCB course straight after but I’m not going to a TCB area so won’t use it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tomnick

Established Member
Does anyone know if there’s been a policy change about training? Finished AB IST and been told I’m on a TCB course straight after but I’m not going to a TCB area so won’t use it.
Quite a few years ago now, but I did the TCB conversion even though I was going to a pure AB box. It meant that I didn't have to go back to school when I went for a job on the relief and thus had to learn the fringe boxes at either end of the patch. It'd have put me in a better position if I'd wanted to go into the ROC too, I guess. Definitely worth doing it if it's on offer, either way.

NoEyeDeer

Not a policy change as people on ours wasn’t going to be doing it, all ended up getting put on it though after requesting it

traingeek97

Sorry if this has been covered before but are signallers expected to remember the location of each signal in their area? For example if a driver calls to say they are standing at AB 123 would the signaller know where that is without having to look? I’m sure over time you do learn where each signal is, but I’d be interested to know whether it is a requirement. I can imagine it being daunting for somebody starting out in the big IECC if that is the case.

ArchangelA

Sorry if this has been covered before but are signallers expected to remember the location of each signal in their area? For example if a driver calls to say they are standing at AB 123 would the signaller know where that is without having to look? I’m sure over time you do learn where each signal is, but I’d be interested to know whether it is a requirement. I can imagine it being daunting for somebody starting out in the big IECC if that is the case.
In short YES. Signallers have to prove competent working a particular panel (area of responsibility) which can be very short or large depending on the signal box. It's important so that should a driver or anyone else call in and request an emergency situation then the signaller needs to know quite sharpish so that emergency procedures can be put into place.

lineclear

No, but the signaller would be able to find out quickly by looking in the area of similarly numbered signals. They can also ask the person which line the signal is on and for its geographical location.

GingerRH

No, but the signaller would be able to find out quickly by looking in the area of similarly numbered signals.
Agreed on that.

After a period of time you will learn where key signals are such as junctions and ones commonly used for line blockages just through repetition. After that, you’ll be able to have a good educated guess at roughly where a specific signal is on the panel/workstation if you don’t already know it.

Driver will tell you the signal number and the line their on, specific line narrows it down and then as above too.

Brye2112

Hi all. I found this forum around August last year when making my first application for a signal job. All the information contained in the thread was immensely helpful during my application. At first I was put on the reserve list and then offered a grade 2 position in Kennethmont.

Been a long wait since the job offer but I now have a provisional start date of 24th May. I've tried the search function to no avail. But wondering if anyone has any experience with that particular box and could give me any further information? Also wondering if anyone else has recently been given the same provisional start date and has any idea where training is likely to take place?

Thanks
Brian

Defenestrate

Hi all. I found this forum around August last year when making my first application for a signal job. All the information contained in the thread was immensely helpful during my application. At first I was put on the reserve list and then offered a grade 2 position in Kennethmont.

Been a long wait since the job offer but I now have a provisional start date of 24th May. I've tried the search function to no avail. But wondering if anyone has any experience with that particular box and could give me any further information? Also wondering if anyone else has recently been given the same provisional start date and has any idea where training is likely to take place?

Thanks
Brian
No info but the photos may be of use here:

ellebizzle

Thanks
Brian
Hi Brian,

I have a similar provisional start date, 27th. I will be heading to Glasgow for signalling school.

SWTurbo

Anyone able to tell me (roughly) how long it took after the medical for NR to process it and come back with a firm start date?

Csb362

Have you heard any more about you are headed for training yet? I'm going to be in Barrhill, assuming that all the pre employment etc is all good :)
Congrats Ellebizzle I was unsuccessful for Barrhill, looks to have been a very quick turnaround from the closing date to you being offered the job which is good to see as a lot of posters on this forum seem to need to wait an age, all the best and hopefully I will be joining the signalling grades somewhere in the not too distant future

ellebizzle

Congrats Ellebizzle I was unsuccessful for Barrhill, looks to have been a very quick turnaround from the closing date to you being offered the job which is good to see as a lot of posters on this forum seem to need to wait an age, all the best and hopefully I will be joining the signalling grades somewhere in the not too distant future
Thanks Csb362. Yea, it's been a pretty intense time. Pretty thankful I don't have a huge wait like some others did/do. I hope you get something soon.

Csb362

Thanks Csb362. Yea, it's been a pretty intense time. Pretty thankful I don't have a huge wait like some others did/do. I hope you get something soon.
Thank you hopefully some more jobs closer to the central belt come up shortly however like everyone if needed a little relocate wouldn’t be out of the question, once again the very best of luck for the future and you never know out paths may cross at somepoint

MylesHSG

Willesden Carriage Shed North and South are indeed both NW&C (West Coast South), rather than Anglia. The latter remains an NR box.

If you download the Anglia Route PON, you’ll find a list of all the boxes on the route.

Willesden Carriage Shed North is LNW if I’m not very much mistaken (I think South is now on Alstom infrastructure)

Colchester controls Chitts Hill to Norwich/Clacton/Walton/Felixstowe

Hope you don't mind me quoting from a month ago, but both Willesden Carriage Shed North and South are owned, operated, staffed and maintained by Network Rail. The Up and Down Carriage Lines are still owned by NWR not Alstom.

Also, does anyone know the shift patterns at Liverpool Street and Marylebone boxes? Are they still on 8's or have they gone on to 12's?

Last edited:

MoorsBox

Hello forum, I'm starting school in may and was wondering if anyone could shed light on what the courses cover and how the weeks go.
Many thanks in advance

Saracen_83

Hello forum, I'm starting school in may and was wondering if anyone could shed light on what the courses cover and how the weeks go.
Many thanks in advance

hi mate, first off congratulations on getting the job!!

as for the school, the weeks are taught in a certain order to ensure that a) it makes sense and b) that it all fits together.

the course is designed to teach a person off the street with no knowledge of tha railway.
There is no point knowing what they will teach and when as honestly, it will possibly mean nothing to you..

my advice, enjoy the next few weeks and prepare to put in the hard work over the course as there is a lot of information given that you have to be able to recite word for word, or at least very close to it...

You will be studying most evenings til late and will also need to fit in simulator work etc in as well...

It is an intense course but well worth it.

enjoy and good luck!

MoorsBox

hi mate, first off congratulations on getting the job!!

as for the school, the weeks are taught in a certain order to ensure that a) it makes sense and b) that it all fits together.

the course is designed to teach a person off the street with no knowledge of tha railway.
There is no point knowing what they will teach and when as honestly, it will possibly mean nothing to you..

my advice, enjoy the next few weeks and prepare to put in the hard work over the course as there is a lot of information given that you have to be able to recite word for word, or at least very close to it...

You will be studying most evenings til late and will also need to fit in simulator work etc in as well...

It is an intense course but well worth it.

enjoy and good luck!
Thanks Saracen_83,

Also just wondering if as I expect there will be a lot of note taking during the course, whether or not they might allow laptop or similar to type these during class. As my handwriting isn't the best when it comes to rereading it. Did anyone on your course do similar??
Many thanks again

SecretKiwi

There is a huge amount of note taking and whilst you would be able to use a laptop unless you can type really quickly I think you'd struggle to keep up.
I wrote loads of notes, and not very tidily, then in the evenings I put them on the laptop using the 'dictate' function on Word, just reading them through again. Once they were all on the screen I then reread them and corrected the grammar and the strange and amusing words that had been heard by the computer as I'd spoken.
That seemed to work well for me.....

Nemo01

Thanks Saracen_83,

Also just wondering if as I expect there will be a lot of note taking during the course, whether or not they might allow laptop or similar to type these during class. As my handwriting isn't the best when it comes to rereading it. Did anyone on your course do similar??
Many thanks again
There shouldn't be an issue as there were a number of people writing notes on tablets/laptops in my class. I do find that quicker and easier to read than handwriting them

Raikkonen7

Many thanks in advance
If you’re doing the AB course, I’d suggest learning the bell codes. You don’t have to necessarily understand their meaning at this stage but it will save you some time at the start of the course as that’s one of the first things you’ll be asked to learn.

Rover77

I am officially diagnosed as dyslexic. It is extremely mild and really doesn't affect me day to day. I am actually the head of year in a high school. Should I tick the box on the application declaring a disability? Though employers cannot discriminate could it go against me? Because it is a safety critical role they may be worried about communication etc.