• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

MylesHSG

Willesden Carriage Shed North and South are indeed both NW&C (West Coast South), rather than Anglia. The latter remains an NR box.

If you download the Anglia Route PON, you’ll find a list of all the boxes on the route.

Willesden Carriage Shed North is LNW if I’m not very much mistaken (I think South is now on Alstom infrastructure)

Colchester controls Chitts Hill to Norwich/Clacton/Walton/Felixstowe

Hope you don't mind me quoting from a month ago, but both Willesden Carriage Shed North and South are owned, operated, staffed and maintained by Network Rail. The Up and Down Carriage Lines are still owned by NWR not Alstom.

Also, does anyone know the shift patterns at Liverpool Street and Marylebone boxes? Are they still on 8's or have they gone on to 12's?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MoorsBox

Hello forum, I'm starting school in may and was wondering if anyone could shed light on what the courses cover and how the weeks go.
Many thanks in advance

Saracen_83

Hello forum, I'm starting school in may and was wondering if anyone could shed light on what the courses cover and how the weeks go.
Many thanks in advance

hi mate, first off congratulations on getting the job!!

as for the school, the weeks are taught in a certain order to ensure that a) it makes sense and b) that it all fits together.

the course is designed to teach a person off the street with no knowledge of tha railway.
There is no point knowing what they will teach and when as honestly, it will possibly mean nothing to you..

my advice, enjoy the next few weeks and prepare to put in the hard work over the course as there is a lot of information given that you have to be able to recite word for word, or at least very close to it...

You will be studying most evenings til late and will also need to fit in simulator work etc in as well...

It is an intense course but well worth it.

enjoy and good luck!

MoorsBox

hi mate, first off congratulations on getting the job!!

as for the school, the weeks are taught in a certain order to ensure that a) it makes sense and b) that it all fits together.

the course is designed to teach a person off the street with no knowledge of tha railway.
There is no point knowing what they will teach and when as honestly, it will possibly mean nothing to you..

my advice, enjoy the next few weeks and prepare to put in the hard work over the course as there is a lot of information given that you have to be able to recite word for word, or at least very close to it...

You will be studying most evenings til late and will also need to fit in simulator work etc in as well...

It is an intense course but well worth it.

enjoy and good luck!
Thanks Saracen_83,

Also just wondering if as I expect there will be a lot of note taking during the course, whether or not they might allow laptop or similar to type these during class. As my handwriting isn't the best when it comes to rereading it. Did anyone on your course do similar??
Many thanks again

SecretKiwi

There is a huge amount of note taking and whilst you would be able to use a laptop unless you can type really quickly I think you'd struggle to keep up.
I wrote loads of notes, and not very tidily, then in the evenings I put them on the laptop using the 'dictate' function on Word, just reading them through again. Once they were all on the screen I then reread them and corrected the grammar and the strange and amusing words that had been heard by the computer as I'd spoken.
That seemed to work well for me.....

Nemo01

Thanks Saracen_83,

Also just wondering if as I expect there will be a lot of note taking during the course, whether or not they might allow laptop or similar to type these during class. As my handwriting isn't the best when it comes to rereading it. Did anyone on your course do similar??
Many thanks again
There shouldn't be an issue as there were a number of people writing notes on tablets/laptops in my class. I do find that quicker and easier to read than handwriting them

Raikkonen7

Many thanks in advance
If you’re doing the AB course, I’d suggest learning the bell codes. You don’t have to necessarily understand their meaning at this stage but it will save you some time at the start of the course as that’s one of the first things you’ll be asked to learn.

Rover77

I am officially diagnosed as dyslexic. It is extremely mild and really doesn't affect me day to day. I am actually the head of year in a high school. Should I tick the box on the application declaring a disability? Though employers cannot discriminate could it go against me? Because it is a safety critical role they may be worried about communication etc.

MylesHSG

I am officially diagnosed as dyslexic. It is extremely mild and really doesn't affect me day to day. I am actually the head of year in a high school. Should I tick the box on the application declaring a disability? Though employers cannot discriminate could it go against me? Because it is a safety critical role they may be worried about communication etc.

I'm 95% deaf in my right ear and like you it doesn't affect me really day to day. I did decide to declare it on my application just to be 100% transparent and open.

bouff34

If you don't declare it and something happens... you'll get sacked.

If you declare it then they should help you with reasonable adjustments, secondly you 'may' have an advantage in interview due to the drive to increase diversity targets etc. I wouldn't think it would have any negative impacts on your chances at getting the role.

Rockhopper

If you don't declare it and something happens related to your condition you could actually go to jail.

MoorsBox

I am also mildly dyslexic and I did mention it on my application, as others have said, best to be honest rather than have it bit you later on

I am also mildly dyslexic and I did mention it on my application, as others have said, best to be honest rather than have it bit you later on
I agree, they can always take it off of your file if it's deemed not needed. My view is always say you consider yourself disabled if you think you are as it'll make things easier in the long run and save the awkward questions later. I've always disclosed my autism and dyspraxia even if i didn't put any specifics. They can't discriminate anyway

Rover77

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I will most definitely declare it on my next application.

MylesHSG

Does anyone know if you can finish a Friday night shift at 07:00 on Saturday morning and then do a Monday Late shift starting at 15:00.

Just looking at potential rosters to fit this new 60h max rostered week thing coming in soon.

jubilee_line

Hello, I've spent the last few weeks reading through this thread (thanks for the helpful application advice, everyone!) and I see that there were a few signalling jobs posted today - the first vacancies since I've started checking the careers page daily, although none are close to me. I'm just wondering if anyone here might know how (in)frequently signalling jobs get externally advertised in the York area? I currently live in York and would prefer not to relocate, but I'd be willing to relocate if it's nearly impossible to get a job without doing so! Thanks in advance for any advice :)

High Dyke

Established Member
Does anyone know if you can finish a Friday night shift at 07:00 on Saturday morning and then do a Monday Late shift starting at 15:00.

Just looking at potential rosters to fit this new 60h max rostered week thing coming in soon.
I believe you can. My area has just negotiated rosters that finish at 06:45 on a Saturday morning and the next shift commences 15:10 on the Sunday. This is down to introducing night shifts at that particular location, and also to comply with the new 60 hour standard.

MoorsBox

There is a huge amount of note taking and whilst you would be able to use a laptop unless you can type really quickly I think you'd struggle to keep up.
I wrote loads of notes, and not very tidily, then in the evenings I put them on the laptop using the 'dictate' function on Word, just reading them through again. Once they were all on the screen I then reread them and corrected the grammar and the strange and amusing words that had been heard by the computer as I'd spoken.
That seemed to work well for me.....
Hi SecretKiwi
Thanks for this I hadn't know there was a dictate option to word, but found it now, everydays a school day, cheers

ellebizzle

Thank you hopefully some more jobs closer to the central belt come up shortly however like everyone if needed a little relocate wouldn’t be out of the question, once again the very best of luck for the future and you never know out paths may cross at somepoint
Hi, don't know if you've seen the post for a G3 signalling position in Stirling?

I know this isn't strictly a signaller related question but does anyone know what shift patterns ECRO (electrical control room operators) work on Southern Region and even any info about the role?

Thanks in advance

Csb362

Hi, don't know if you've seen the post for a G3 signalling position in Stirling?
I have thank you very much, I put my application in last night, these would be ideal as maximum travel would be 30 minutes from my house so now to hope for the best.

Defenestrate

Hello, I've spent the last few weeks reading through this thread (thanks for the helpful application advice, everyone!) and I see that there were a few signalling jobs posted today - the first vacancies since I've started checking the careers page daily, although none are close to me. I'm just wondering if anyone here might know how (in)frequently signalling jobs get externally advertised in the York area? I currently live in York and would prefer not to relocate, but I'd be willing to relocate if it's nearly impossible to get a job without doing so! Thanks in advance for any advice :)
Unsure externally, but there seems to be jobs advertised at York ROC fairly frequently internally. There are some on the internal list at the moment plus locations within a commutable distance too. I don't know if/when any of those might go external - but I have in the past seen these locations when I was applying.
As many others say, apply for any you can do, especially if you can relocate. Having the 69 questions answered, plus a good up to date and relevant CV/covering letter ready to go will be immeasurably handy if jobs closer to home come up.

NoEyeDeer

If you’re doing the AB course, I’d suggest learning the bell codes. You don’t have to necessarily understand their meaning at this stage but it will save you some time at the start of the course as that’s one of the first things you’ll be asked to learn.
I came off the street and did nothing before I went in, had a look a bell codes and then realised there was no point as they came so much easier when we actually put them in practice.

Raikkonen7

I came off the street and did nothing before I went in, had a look a bell codes and then realised there was no point as they came so much easier when we actually put them in practice.
As did I last year and I found it useful knowing them even if I didn’t understand what they meant. One less thing to learn at the start when it’s all rather overwhelming.

SWTurbo

Does anyone know roughly how close to the start date you get your “joining instructions?” I’m meant to start on the 17th at Westwood and haven’t heard anything yet.

TIA