• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Literally one mistake and you’ve killed people it’s that serious - kiss goodbye to at least five years of your life at least.

Big bucks but huge responsibility on your shoulders.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
As a passed out grade 7 you can expect to earn £51,000 with booked Sunday and night allowance, Grade 9 circa £55,000 as above.

Booked Sundays, and nights are worth between £5000-9000 starting from Grade 1 upwards.

Sunset route

Established Member
Well it's Cambridge and as its quite near for me I'm probably going to throw my hat in the ring

Well I wish you well and hope you get the job, don't quote me but I believe Cambridge is three or four (stand up panels) panels in a large horseshoe plus a separate VDU for the Ely Norwich line, not sure if everyone rotates through all the jobs or if there are separate links.

CHMAU90

Hi everyone,
Sorry to butt in on this conversation with something slightly off topic. This is the first time I have posted on this forum.

I am thinking of applying for a signaller position having worked in other sectors and industries to date. Would it be possible for someone to give me some feedback on my CV? I have attempted to tailor it to the circumstances, having not worked in the rail industry before.

I understand that most of you, if not all of you, will be busy so any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

martin2345uk

Established Member
Just completed the online SJT... I hate those little buggers :) Just put down honest answers, no point trying to second-guess what they might be looking for...

Chris Czunys

Just completed the online SJT... I hate those little buggers :) Just put down honest answers, no point trying to second-guess what they might be looking for...

Exactly. I didnt finish all questions on mine as one of the maths questions im sure had no right answers. I came off and tried figuring it out for another hour and still didnt find the answers they put.
Must have done something right as im 1 of only 3 interviewees for our local signaller box out of 80+ applicants. :/

martin2345uk

Established Member
Exactly. I didnt finish all questions on mine as one of the maths questions im sure had no right answers. I came off and tried figuring it out for another hour and still didnt find the answers they put.
Must have done something right as im 1 of only 3 interviewees for our local signaller box out of 80+ applicants. :/

Now I'm confused, I didn't have any maths questions...? :/

martin2345uk

Established Member
Really?
I had lots, 18 or something. Only managed to answer less. Numerical was definitely in mine.

Yeah mine was just 16 questions of rate the 3 actions as least effective and most effective...

Did you have to maybe do that at an earlier stage of your application?

Chris Czunys

Yep gone back to the original email. At the bottom was 3 hyperlinks. One for numerical, one for instrument and one for verbal ability tests. This was in september.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Here's mine... not sure I quite understand why I only have one...!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 19.56.03.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-14 at 19.56.03.png
    41 KB · Views: 37

Chris Czunys

Thats very strange? Maybe someone more experienced can answer? Maybe you would do them at a seperate time? Or something about the grade of the box?

Clydefrog

Im a grade 1 soon to be grade 9. As far as i know you only do a situational judgment test for grade 1-2 crossing keeper and for signaller grade 3-9 you do SJT numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning

Clydefrog

Ah, I've applied to grade 2 signaller, so maybe that's why! :)
Yes when i went for my grade 1 crossing keeper job i only did the SJT. Then when i applied for the grade 9 i had to do SJT/numerical reasoning test/verbal reasoning test.

Chris Czunys

The box i have had my interview for is a grade 2 as well so wondering why mine had a few more questions now ha

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Im a grade 1 soon to be grade 9. As far as i know you only do a situational judgment test for grade 1-2 crossing keeper and for signaller grade 3-9 you do SJT numerical reasoning and verbal reasoning

There are plenty of Grade 2 signalling positions! They are not just "crossing keepers".

Clydefrog

There are plenty of Grade 2 signalling positions! They are not just "crossing keepers".
Yes i have now realised that. I have not seen any signalling jobs at g2 in my area but have seen g2 crossing keepers. I assumed that was the way. Assumption is never good. I apologies for false information was not intended

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Grade 2 Crossing Keeper jobs tend to cover multiple Crossing or a ROC crossing desk.

Grade 2 Signaller can be as few as 2 or 3 Signals !

martin2345uk

Established Member
Just got an email to say I met the required benchmark on the online assessment I did on Saturday.. so now I take it that it’s just waiting and hoping I’m good enough to be invited to interview...?

hsharma25

Same here, did my assessments on saturday too. Hopefully we do get called for an interview and they haven’t just made us do the tests to then decline the application.

Chris Czunys

I justvhad my interview. After getting the email saying about hitting the required standards i got called in for an interview like 2 weeks later. If you pass the test its not 100% you will get an interview is what i gathered from my chat

hsharma25

Which SB did you apply for? Hope the interview went well

I applied for Evesham grade 2, closing date is 24th Oct so probably have interview if selected after that date.

Flush_Fraser

Just got an email to say I met the required benchmark on the online assessment I did on Saturday.. so now I take it that it’s just waiting and hoping I’m good enough to be invited to interview...?
I think there was a good 3 months between me meeting the required benchmark for the online testing and getting invited to interview, so whilst I imagine that's more the exception than the rule, don't be disheartened if you don't hear back straight away!

martin2345uk

Established Member
I think there was a good 3 months between me meeting the required benchmark for the online testing and getting invited to interview, so whilst I imagine that's more the exception than the rule, don't be disheartened if you don't hear back straight away!

Thanks for the warning mate! :)

Sinistah

My Three bridges app was up with them since july 28th. Heard nothing until 5 days ago saying app unsuccessful.