• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

choochoobacca

Here's my 8 hr roster, 12 hour Sundays. As rosters go it sucks but its a job and we're hopeful that we'll go to a 12hr roster next year

Thanks Gareth. Looking at that roster, a couple of strategically placed holiday days can lead to a nice decent break every few weeks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gareth386

Thanks Gareth. Looking at that roster, a couple of strategically placed holiday days can lead to a nice decent break every few weeks.
Definitely, that's the way to do it. I look at it as one long weekend a month and then book off the Friday and Saturday afternoon shifts to create another. I worked weekends for the last 7 years before this so that's a lot better than I was getting.

gareth386

wow so like 2 full weekends off in 8 weeks! how much annual leave do u get?
With some strategically placed holidays you can still get some decent leave in. I worked weekends for 7 years before I started this job, so this is better than I'm used to.

SignallerJohn

Got interview next week is it just the 8 non technical skills amd few questions about the job. Is there anything else that I should be prepared for?
If possible email the HR, or LOM and have a look at the box. That’s always a good look, you might not be able to but it can’t hurt to ask. Don’t just turn up though, people have recommended that before and I couldn’t think of anything worse!

Qball

If possible email the HR, or LOM and have a look at the box. That’s always a good look, you might not be able to but it can’t hurt to ask. Don’t just turn up though, people have recommended that before and I couldn’t think of anything worse!

Would love to but it's a bit far to Cardiff from Leeds.

Narom

Would love to but it's a bit far to Cardiff from Leeds.
Just learn as much about the box, location and line. Who operates on it etc. I didn't visit my box and I certainly didn't feel I was hampered because of that.

Qball

Just learn as much about the box, location and line. Who operates on it etc. I didn't visit my box and I certainly didn't feel I was hampered because of that.

Would I need to contact Hr for that or can I find all of it on line.

Narom

Medical all booked. Right in thinking it's just a standard one and don't need sports gear for a treadmill?

choochoobacca

Medical all booked. Right in thinking it's just a standard one and don't need sports gear for a treadmill?

No sports clothes required. I was a bit nervous about the medical as I'm, ahem, carrying some timber presently.... I really needn't have worried. The one I had was very straight forward - weight, height, eye sight, hearing test, urine sample, few questions etc. Nothing to worry about.

Narom

No sports clothes required. I was a bit nervous about the medical as I'm, ahem, carrying some timber presently.... I really needn't have worried. The one I had was very straight forward - weight, height, eye sight, hearing test, urine sample, few questions etc. Nothing to worry about.

Excellent cheers. Means I can go straight out after Xmas shopping!

Hooshie

Evening all,

Been flicking through this thread for a while now, however, first time posting tonight.

I currently work for Network Rail on the engineering side of the organisation, however, I have always had a strong interest in the Operations and Signaller roles. There seems to be quite a few York ROC / IECC vacancies on the internal list (Grades 3, 6, 7, 9) and I'm going to give it a shot.

I was wondering if the grade 6, 7, and 9 jobs are being advertised internal only, does this mean they are intended for employees already in Signaller roles looking to take on a higher grade?

Not sure if I'd get them without working my way up, although I do have experience in operating a Shunters panel on a busy depot and currently work in signalling engineering.

Cheers for your help!
I’m in the same boat as you mate, currently work for S&T, put an application in for a grade 8 signaller post, I’ve got an interview a week on Wednesday.

Rusto

Hey everyone, I have an interview for a grade 2 job tomorrow, are there any tips or any advice anyone can give me? what sort of things am I likely to be asked?

JJP

I’m in the same boat as you mate, currently work for S&T, put an application in for a grade 8 signaller post, I’ve got an interview a week on Wednesday.

That's gave me a bit more confidence reading that!

All the best for your interview.

Narom

Hey have been offered a position myself what time fame was it until your medical was booked?

Interview end of October. Found out a week later with a phonecall to say successful. Last week was first emails asking for stuff, moved quickly since. Medical next week.

Last edited:

Danc87

im having trouble logging into to my account on network rail jobsite any idea how to solve this?just keeps saying unexpected error when I try to load the page

choochoobacca

im having trouble logging into to my account on network rail jobsite any idea how to solve this?just keeps saying unexpected error when I try to load the page

I’ve had this happen a few times and a simple restart of my laptop seems to solve the issue.

JJP

Does anyone know if Network Rail are happy to sponsor Signallers through further education such as the courses on offer from Institution of Railway Operators?

Cheers

glenblade

Due to start signalling school on the 10th December can't wait! Just a quick question is the dress code suit and tie or is it smart casual Many thanks

TRain87

It's whatever you want it to be... But with managers,LOMS,briefers etc all working and visiting, do you want to be seen in trousers and a shirt, or jeans, t-shirt and trainers? This is the mentality I had, and turning up in shirt and trousers each day was no hardship for me

glenblade

It's whatever you want it to be... But with managers,LOMS,briefers etc all working and visiting, do you want to be seen in trousers and a shirt, or jeans, t-shirt and trainers? This is the mentality I had, and turning up in shirt and trousers each day was no hardship for me
Cheers thanks for the reply shirt and trousers sounds good to me

Narom

I guess the next question there is was everyone else in the same frame of mind?

I know I don't have enough shirts or trousers to see me through the first week!