• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Good news that the firms bonus is..............zero this year.

Anyone wanna guess what our pay raise will be come 01/01/21?

SignallerJohn

Am I wrong in thinking the bonus was meant to be from last year to this year, so pretty much missing out the covid-19 outbreak?

In the words of the railway, it is what it is. We still have a fantastic benefits, I wouldn’t want to be the RMT discussing a pay rise...

gareth386

I'm not surprised unfortunately.
With regards to the pay rise, I'm expecting the company to start at 0, citing the current economic climate etc, and then start negotiations from there.

High Dyke

Established Member

See that's the beauty of this job. We are always told that proper communication is one of the key skills to the role of a signal(wo)man. Then the bean counters treat the frontline staff like mushrooms. :rolleyes:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I think you signallers should go on strike

Not a chance I’m afraid, not enough Union membership, to many ROCS with simulators for non or former grades to be trained up on.

We’ll probably get 0.5% or something stupid like that, and a pat on the back for all the back bending and accommodatation we gave up this year.

TRain87

Not with that attitude Tom! Where's your signallers mentality gone...no time for rational explanations now :D

Tomnick

Established Member
Not a chance I’m afraid, not enough Union membership, to many ROCS with simulators for non or former grades to be trained up on.

We’ll probably get 0.5% or something stupid like that, and a pat on the back for all the back bending and accommodatation we gave up this year.
I'm not so sure. I remember a particularly insulting offer about seven or eight (?) years ago, which resulted in a ballot for industrial action, which came back with a resounding mandate. It worked, and they came back with a much better offer. The low proportion of union members in the grade doesn't help, of course! I'd really, really hope that anyone with any choice in the matter (i.e. not current management) wouldn't come back to break a strike though.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Of course that's low but signallers (and all rail staff alike) have been lucky to experiencing above-inflation pay rises for many years whilst most of the public sector has had nothing.

LAX54

Established Member
I'm not so sure. I remember a particularly insulting offer about seven or eight (?) years ago, which resulted in a ballot for industrial action, which came back with a resounding mandate. It worked, and they came back with a much better offer. The low proportion of union members in the grade doesn't help, of course! I'd really, really hope that anyone with any choice in the matter (i.e. not current management) wouldn't come back to break a strike though.

It does not matter really how many Signallers you have, at the end of the day, due to the way the system works, there are not enough overall to cover everything, so a simple no overtime, which would of course include Sundays, as outside the 'week' would soon (very soon) randomly scupper the service !

TRain87

It does not matter really how many Signallers you have, at the end of the day, due to the way the system works, there are not enough overall to cover everything, so a simple no overtime, which would of course include Sundays, as outside the 'week' would soon (very soon) randomly scupper the service !
Sundays have to be worked - unless roster clerk can get them covered...so while the overtime rule would be a good one, wouldn't work for Sundays

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Lucky? Or well deserved?

Well deserved, much like other key workers we’ve been asked to do more and more over the last 6 months without complaint we’ve risen to the challenge.

We’ve allowed long fought for terms and conditions to be bent for the good of the country, who’d of thought we’d be taken advantage of potentially.....

As for a strike, it would be a all grades dispute not just signallers represented by RMT - we all know TSSA won’t do anything.

You never know the firm might come good and reward us for our hard work without issue....

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Of course that's low but signallers (and all rail staff alike) have been lucky to experiencing above-inflation pay rises for many years whilst most of the public sector has had nothing.

We have been undertaking more and more work for the same money for years, with that work comes increasing stress and potential to mess up with loose of life as a result.

Compared to other industries we’re very low paid, circa £22,000 starting salary with the same pressures.

RailNoob

Fingers crossed for you mate. Feels odd getting dressed up just to sit in your kitchen for 45 minutes eh?
I forgot to shout back on here but it got moved back to a face to face so went to the offices was really chilled sat and had a good conversation with another LOM and a graduate apprentice while I was waiting for another interview to finish I think the worst part is over now just the waiting game to see if I did enough they where chuffed I could recite all 10 life saving skills from memory!

LAX54

Established Member
Well deserved, much like other key workers we’ve been asked to do more and more over the last 6 months without complaint we’ve risen to the challenge.

We’ve allowed long fought for terms and conditions to be bent for the good of the country, who’d of thought we’d be taken advantage of potentially.....

As for a strike, it would be a all grades dispute not just signallers represented by RMT - we all know TSSA won’t do anything.

You never know the firm might come good and reward us for our hard work without issue....

I have never understood, and I am not the only one, why they go for a strike staright away, it is sometimes counter productive, go for a not O/T call first, I would haved thought 1) More Effective amd 2) Non-Union can also take part with no recourse.

olilee2

I’m trying to remind myself to stay calm and keep breathing but I’ve just offered an interview for Feltham ASC next week!! Can’t believe how quickly it came through but I doubt I’ll be sleeping between now and then