• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

387star

On Moderation
Is mentioning the repetitive nature of a drivers job at an interview without being prompted a bad move? I mentioned the repetitive side of the role being balanced by a host of contingencies... that every day you might be faced with unforseen challenges even the weather and that you should always be prepared for every eventuality

Just thinking maybe mentioning that was seen as a negative given the wide variety of freight work though there is obviously repetition in there

I could also not for the life of me recall the relevant weeks WON number when asked which can't have gone down well... obviously I sign for it every week at work but I did not expect to be asked that question and it was clearly a curve ball

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

graeme.h

How do you think you got on? If it was in York, I was on the same one. Was pretty apprehensive beforehand, and to be honest I'd have preferred to get all the tests done in one day - I suppose they're trying to save a bit of money by weeding a good few out and therefore not paying for another set of tests.

Hi mate, yeah had it in york this afternoon just got home. I think I did ok, whether or not its good enough to pass is another thing!

1V53

I'm looking for comments on the WAFV test, from those that have done it, as I would be interested to hear of others experiences. I obviously need to be vague as I am employed by the TOC in another role.

Three of us that I know of, all short sighted and wear glasses, have had the same issue and all failed on this same issue, having passed every other part of the process. Our TOC puts the tests and MMI at the end of the process.

I sat down to do the test, very limited instructions given unlike the written tests. It was also in the middle of other tests and other people at a different point in them in the same room so no opportunity to ask questions, again unlike the written tests where you do them one by one together.

So I did the practise. Probably about a minute of very dark grey squares on a white background occasionally going black, and responding to that.

Then press green to start the test and off I go. After about 10 minutes, and having seen several of them go to black and responded, I assume there was a long sequence of (dark) grey squares, and as they continued they started to look black. As if they were coming up black. I started to panic thinking the sequence had changed, and to react to every one appearing. After probably around 10 consecutive I thought 'this can't be right' and sat back and stared at the screen and stopped clicking. After some time one went black again and I reacted, but knew that it was too late and I had stuffed it up.

Ive read on here about it being a 'light grey' flashing square, this was definitely dark grey. Has anyone else had this problem? To me it is an issue, as the problem wasn't concentration, as I would have been fine with more contrast so I knew the dark grey box didn't appear black. Have my TOC got the contrast setting wrong?

387star

On Moderation
I'm looking for comments on the WAFV test, from those that have done it, as I would be interested to hear of others experiences. I obviously need to be vague as I am employed by the TOC in another role.

Three of us that I know of, all short sighted and wear glasses, have had the same issue and all failed on this same issue, having passed every other part of the process. Our TOC puts the tests and MMI at the end of the process.

I sat down to do the test, very limited instructions given unlike the written tests. It was also in the middle of other tests and other people at a different point in them in the same room so no opportunity to ask questions, again unlike the written tests where you do them one by one together.

So I did the practise. Probably about a minute of very dark grey squares on a white background occasionally going black, and responding to that.

Then press green to start the test and off I go. After about 10 minutes, and having seen several of them go to black and responded, I assume there was a long sequence of (dark) grey squares, and as they continued they started to look black. As if they were coming up black. I started to panic thinking the sequence had changed, and to react to every one appearing. After probably around 10 consecutive I thought 'this can't be right' and sat back and stared at the screen and stopped clicking. After some time one went black again and I reacted, but knew that it was too late and I had stuffed it up.

Ive read on here about it being a 'light grey' flashing square, this was definitely dark grey. Has anyone else had this problem? To me it is an issue, as the problem wasn't concentration, as I would have been fine with more contrast so I knew the dark grey box didn't appear black. Have my TOC got the contrast setting wrong?

Exact same happened to me and I hit by error several times during this very dark grey cycle (happened twice but I was better prepared for the second time) but passed
Presumably it's a deliberate trick

Last edited:

cpw

So much good stuff to read through on this thread. Good luck all!

387star

On Moderation
RE taking tests privately be aware this is only to the national standard which some companies accept some don't

If you want to take the whole assessment again then we would be able to help you with that, however we do not let candidates just sit part of the test it would have to be the whole process. If you did this we would only be able to confirm that you have sat the tests to the minimum industry standard unless we could speak to the TOC /FOC that you had in mind of applying to and check with them what there cut off point was and to be honest they are under no obligation to tell us . We would have to check that out if your were seriously thinking of doing the assessment.[/I]

jimjims

Has anybody here invested in the 'how to' platinum package by R McMunn?

Last edited:

ManUtd

Has anybody here invested in the 'how to' platinum package by R McMunn?

I only ordered mine earlier so I will update once it arrives but have found the on-line tests that are included a good help to start with.

I have my first test for a driving position next Friday with N.I.R.
I have been using three books up to now,"Psychometric tests for dummies" "How to become a train driver" and Barron's Mechanical aptitude and spatial relations test".

My only concern is I wish I had ordered the platinum pack earlier as it states "allow 2-3 days for delivery,it's not going to give me a lot of time with the books and DVD's.

Last edited:

ManUtd

Those books helped me a lot to get in.

I think I am going to return mine although they haven't arrived yet,after further research I think their "WAFV vigilance premium package" would be more suited to my needs rather than the "ATAVT package".
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well,just to add that I had my DFFT test yesterday and I don't think it went too well,I got a bit flustered when I realised I had somehow managed to write the answers to one question in the wrong "train",I had to double check where I was and that cost me valuable time.

There were fifteen questions in fifteen minutes and I only answered eight,I would have been happy with ten which I believe I may have got if I hadn't made a schoolboy error,I am really annoyed at myself but alas,there is absolutely nothing I can do about it now apart from wait on the letter...:oops:

Last edited:

jimjims

Hi ManUtd

What's a DFFT test?

Can you shed a bit of light on that?

Lets hope you did enough to get through.

Good luck

ManUtd

Hi ManUtd

What's a DFFT test?

Can you shed a bit of light on that?

Lets hope you did enough to get through.

Good luck

Hi jimjims,

A DFFT test is a Driver Fault Finding Test,it was of a fictional train company and your test paper showed panels which consisted of all sorts of info from a power box,batteries,solar panels,washers,wiper,windows etc.

You then had three other sets of booklets that had info on them relating to "your train" and the instruments mentioned above,I have added a pic of my practice paper but it has come through too small and the wrong way round so that is useless to you(sorry)
IMG_1980.jpg

Now the test itself was almost identical to that only there was more of everything,IE:more on the panel,more instruments and more faults.
I had to do a lot more checking back and forth,referring to the other books that had the info on the faults I had on each train and then prioritising them and writing in the correct code and any other info that it said I may have had to have taken note of.
Sometimes you got your fault code for maybe the panels but it then asked you to check to say for instance the batteries and if they were fitted after a certain date then the code for that fault would be .....

It's not particularly hard but as like most of these train tests,speed and accuracy are key.

Thanks for the good wishes,I hope I have done enough but I ain't that confident that eight,if all correct of course will be enough.
I did go ahead and order the WAFV platinum package from "How 2 become" as it was stated that the next assessment day would include the TRP test,GB test and things like that.

Last edited:

ManUtd

Well I didn't get through to the next assessment day,I knew I didn't answer enough on the DFFT but was trying to hold on to a bit of hope.

I failed the old mechanical test about four years ago,am I right in guessing that means I am ruled out for ever applying again?

Red18

Well I didn't get through to the next assessment day,I knew I didn't answer enough on the DFFT but was trying to hold on to a bit of hope.

I failed the old mechanical test about four years ago,am I right in guessing that means I am ruled out for ever applying again?

All 'slates' were wiped clean when the tests were changed last year so you have only failed the new tests once. You have one more attempt left (as far as I am aware)

ManUtd

All 'slates' were wiped clean when the tests were changed last year so you have only failed the new tests once. You have one more attempt left (as far as I am aware)

OK,thanks for that...at least that's something.

387star

On Moderation
Having been through a few interviews I believe these are areas to look at:

Team work/working under pressure/reaction to being criticised/working alone/ emergency/customer service/dealing with aggressive customer/repetitive task/training course you have been on/following rules and regulations/how you feel about rules and when they have been restrictive/maintaining concentration for long periods/problem solving/communication

Last edited:

ccolin

Hi,guys is someone who has been in the exam Train driver last year.This year I'm going to assesment , ( Depot driver) , and I want to start to prepare in advance, and do not know exactly what to learn, if anyone can help me, what should learn for assesment . Thank you

red2005

don't try and learn anything is my advice! they will send you practice assessments just look at those and maybe just perfect your interview technique etc?

to be honest there's not a lot that's in there you can learn in advance anyway mate!

plastictaffy

don't try and learn anything is my advice! they will send you practice assessments just look at those and maybe just perfect your interview technique etc?

to be honest there's not a lot that's in there you can learn in advance anyway mate!

I'd agree with that. Do the practice stuff they send you, possibly a little more research if you're not convinced you understand, and leave it at that.

andy123

The recruitment process today is a very intricate process. The most important part is the application form. For say 10 positions you can receive up to 750 applications and all these need to be sifted to about 6 per position so from 750 only 60 will be sifted out. So, it is extremely important that everything is done correctly on the application form, date, height, weight, clear writing and signing it. You can get an applicant that has all the credentials but if they don't sign the form they get dumped. When you get the induction prior to interview listen to what is said, so for instance if at the induction the presenter says Our TOC carries 2m pax a month remember this as at interview when you are asked "so what do you know about our company" the reply is errrr not a lot this is a real no no. That's just a start there is hell of a lot more info regarding recruitment. As for relatives of managers etc. that is now in the past as it will not be tolerated by upper managment.

Think its still partly true about relatives having advantage over general public
Yes the sorting process is just as tough but think if you close relative your more likely too be picked for interview,s and assessments
It did go on more so years ago as my grandad and my dad were drivers
then i started on railways as well
Now my daughter is driver as well all at Immingham
Only difference she had no advantage with interviews and assessments
were as years ago they would skip most of that
But been relative helped her to be considered for driving position

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
Think its still partly true about relatives having advantage over general public
Yes the sorting process is just as tough but think if you close relative your more likely too be picked for interview,s and assessments
It did go on more so years ago as my grandad and my dad were drivers
then i started on railways as well
Now my daughter is driver as well all at Immingham
Only difference she had no advantage with interviews and assessments
were as years ago they would skip most of that
But been relative helped her to be considered for driving position

To be fair on this the only advantage family or friends have is being able to ask their peers on what to expect, on the sift papers the names and gender and also the addresses are removed before sifting so there is no way of knowing who is applying.

andy123

To be fair on this the only advantage family or friends have is being able to ask their peers on what to expect, on the sift papers the names and gender and also the addresses are removed before sifting so there is no way of knowing who is applying.

Would have to disagree with that really yes that may be case if applying externally .
But I had the knowledge about drivers vacancy,s well before public did
This still happens loads, with most TOC,s as last 3 drivers we took on last year
their dad,s are drivers .More than a coincidence I think
Next one up for drivers job (done test and interview) dad works at depo
This is just one depo and only other drivers we took were already qualified
and one worked for use before

TDK

Established Member
Would have to disagree with that really yes that may be case if applying externally .
This still happens loads, with most TOC,s as last 3 drivers we took on last year

Obviously different TOC's have different policies, the company I work for will not distinguish between applications however if there is a guard going for a drivers' job whether or not they work for the company they are applying for they will tick most of the boxes with the original application as they fit the criteria required. Qualified drivers is a totally different recruitment process where the company will be looking for a candidate with a clean record over anyone else even if it is the MD's son!

E&W Lucas

Established Member

One thing TOC's are very conscious of, is being able to show that they have treated every applicant fairly and equally. They don't want to be on the wrong end of an equal ops claim. If we are talking about internal applicants, then if the process wasn't above board, then I'm certain that the RMT & TSSA would be kicking off, and rightly so.
Managers also have to declare any prior connection with an applicant.

I do not recognise the environment that you describe.

SHRUBS

Can anyone help I have just competed the test and pass. The I had an interview and passed they told me I would be put on a list and it may take upto 3 years to get a 2nd interview? Dose anyone have any in put?

Hi Guys,

I've just recently qualified as a driver for National Express East Coast at Leeds.

I was an internal applicant but I will pass on my experience.

First there was the interview. 300 applicants down to 30 to be interviewed. It is important on the application form as well as the interview to talk about professionalism, your reliability but even more importantly they want to hear about how importantly you take communication and safety. You must be able to show you have done some research. Tell them where their driver's depots are, their train depots, which routes they travel over.

There were 2 positions and they only sent us 2 for the pyschometric testing, whereas usually they send half a dozen because the pass rate is about 25%.

At the testing you will do a short term memory test. You get a passage of text to read for about 5 minutes and then have to answer as many multiple choice questions as you can in the time given. You can make notes whilst you read the text and I cant stress enough I much this will help you.

You will then have to do the concentration test, which is also known as the barden test. It is pages of groups shapes made up of 3, 4 or 5 dots. The idea is to put a mark through each of the 4 dot shapes and do as many as possible. This is difficult but photocopy loads and loads of pages before you go and just do them over and over again.

There is then the co-ordination test on a computer. There is a monitor with a special keyboard which has 4 coloured buttons on. You also have 2 foot pedals and ear phones on. Basically the idea is which ever colour flashes on to the screen you press the corresponding button. When ever you get a buzz in your left ear your press down the left foot pedal etc. This should be fine if you are used to using a playstation etc.

Then there is the mechanics test. This is basically a physics test. You'll get diagrams and questions like if pulley A is turned clockwise which way will pulley C turn. Buy Physics for dummies. This was a great help to me.

Anyway, pass all that and you are in! Then the hard work starts.

Hope this helps. I was thinking of operating some sort of seminar for people that are looking to get in to train driving and want to know what is involved. I'd provide examples used in the psychometric testing and interview techniques etc. Do you think anybody would be interested in attending such a thing?

Anyway, bye for now.

Mike
Can anyone help I have just competed the test and pass. The I had an interview and passed they told me I would be put on a list and it may take upto 3 years to get a 2nd interview? Dose anyone have any in put?

TDK

Established Member

Unfortunately many TOC's will recruit and put people on hold for when a vacancy arises instead of what used to happen when a company would recruit when vacancies were available.