• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Saltire

First of all, as a long(ish) time lurker and occasional poster I like the idea of a list of FAQ's being posted and agree that it would reduce the amount of repeat threads. How that would be compiled and administered is the challenge, but best of luck to the admin team.

Now to open a can of worms - we all join forums for one of two reasons, either we are looking for advice to a particular query or we feel our experiences can help others with theirs, sometimes both.
Why is it now that new members may feel intimidated or belittled for asking for that advice?
If someone feels aggrieved that a question or thread has been repeated why do they feel the need to post a condescending comment which ultimately ends up saying "search the forum" - Just scroll down and read the next thread that you have an interest in, it's not rocket science. :roll: The only motivation I can think of is it gets their post count up - please enlighten me if I'm wrong.
Oh and don't get me started on the grammar police <(
I enjoy reading about peoples experiences on here but it can sometimes be spoiled by the self appointed experts who hold court over the forum.

BTW just for the record the search facility on here is fairly basic and usually throws up literally 100's of results, most of which aren't relevant. That's not a criticism of the forum or the admin team who I've found do a great job IMO.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
A FAQ would be better.

Good idea, and I think that would enhance the site, but will only work if backed by the Admin team. Could we have an indication if such an idea will be welcomed please?

Practicalities - How about starting a thread of likely questions, and suggested responses, from the qualified drivers on here?
It needs multiple input, as our experiences will differ. Let it run for a couple of weeks, to allow time for posts to mount up. Then it needs editing into one list of Q & As (showing different As, if there are significant differences of opinion, I would suggest). Then posted as a "sticky", and locked, so as to prevent it being swamped by subsequent posts.

Strat-tastic

Established Member
So many examples of the same questions being asked over and over again.
That's why they draw caustic responses, from those who have previously posted the relevant information.

On another site of which I'm a member, related to a totally different interest, if you open a thread, or request information, on something that has already been discussed, you draw the wrath of the Mods. The thread will be locked, and you will be directed to use the search function.

Would a similar policy regarding trainee driver questions be worth employing on here?

Not if we want to appear friendly, inclusive and welcoming of newbies ;) :)

TDK

Established Member
Good idea, and I think that would enhance the site, but will only work if backed by the Admin team. Could we have an indication if such an idea will be welcomed please?

Practicalities - How about starting a thread of likely questions, and suggested responses, from the qualified drivers on here?
It needs multiple input, as our experiences will differ. Let it run for a couple of weeks, to allow time for posts to mount up. Then it needs editing into one list of Q & As (showing different As, if there are significant differences of opinion, I would suggest). Then posted as a "sticky", and locked, so as to prevent it being swamped by subsequent posts.

This is my hate - people wanting the job so badly that they can't research for themselves having to ask basic questions that have already been answered. A FAQ would be difficult as there are just so many questions that people want answers to.

youngboy

I've asked lots of questions on here and had excellent replies. Not once has anyone been rude or condescending.
Sometimes I think It's 'what you ask' it looks lazy and can't be arsed. I like to think I research what I can by myself and if something is bugging or I'm unsure, then I will ask.

I reckon if someone reads this thread .....every page, and then reads the GBT all the way through, most questions are answered, some may need an individual response, but the basics are all there.

Themob

I'm weeks away from beginning my driver training. I believe some get frustrated for two reasons:

A) having to repeat themselves when the answers already exist on the forum

B) a lot of people ask for certain information which suggests they want the application done for them. Potential applicants asking what questions are asked at interview, asking what they should say etc must surely frustrate others.

There was a post on here recently by marcustandy which hits the nail on the head .

Last edited:

Saltire

I still maintain, if you don't like a post or are frustrated or angered by it just scroll past - there's no point raising your own or others blood pressure

TDK

Established Member
I still maintain, if you don't like a post or are frustrated or angered by it just scroll past - there's no point raising your own or others blood pressure

It's not the point of raising blood pressure it's the case of a person wanting to apply for a job that needs certain qualities and one of them being "using your own initiative" when in fact the person asking the repetitive question that has probably been answered multiple times has not used their initiative.

You need to remember that a candidate needs to stand out and has possible over 300 other people to shine above for one position and for us who have recruited in the past it gets tedious to see people just wanting all the answers on a plate without even attempting to do any research themselves.

Saltire

Is it not the case that finding and joining this forum is "using your own initiative"?
Wouldn't it be the case that looking through every thread and every post is a waste of time when looking for a specific piece of information? In "real life" if you need a bit of help with something do you ask a friend/colleague/family member or do you sit in a library on in front of a PC for endless hours to find the answer through your own initiative?

TDK

Established Member
Is it not the case that finding and joining this forum is "using your own initiative"?
Wouldn't it be the case that looking through every thread and every post is a waste of time when looking for a specific piece of information? In "real life" if you need a bit of help with something do you ask a friend/colleague/family member or do you sit in a library on in front of a PC for endless hours to find the answer through your own initiative?

As I said one of the qualities that an interviewer looks for is someone that can use their own initiative. I have had people PM me and ask me to send them the answers to interview questions many times, now this isn't using your own initiative.

I have seen possibly hundreds of folk on here and if I am honest I can normally tell if they stand a gnats chance of getting anywhere near the drivers job by their questioning. In real life? Yes, ask questions but if you condition yourself to research without asking the questions first then yes, you are using your own initiative.

RBSN

...and if I am honest I can normally tell if they stand a gnats chance of getting anywhere near the drivers job by their questioning. [on the forum]

I hope this is on your CV. :lol:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
This is my hate - people wanting the job so badly that they can't research for themselves having to ask basic questions that have already been answered. A FAQ would be difficult as there are just so many questions that people want answers to.

A wiki would work better then a FAQ

dapc

It may sound silly..... but do the search on here or buy the book? I searched and searched on here whilst waiting for Amazon to send the book to me. It worked out well for me. I understand people asking questions but I imagine all of them have been answered by now. You need to be able to problem solve and I feel it takes a certain type of person as in how they process information and extract what they need instead of it being spoon fed. The information is here and Google etc.

Palex79

Hi everyone. Like most I am continuously searching for a trainee train driver position to come up and I realise there are few out there. Having emailed a number of companies they suggest many posts go internally. Is any particular position more suitable to be a platform to becoming a trainee? Thanks guys. Any advice appreciated.

387star

On Moderation
Where do you live? Gtr and cross rail have been recruiting the most and scotrail will be

Many jobs go external depends if it is a doo operation like gtr more externals get taken on as your right with some tocs especially those with guards like swt etc lots go internal but there have been numerous adverts this past year for trainees so hardly few and far between at the moment

There is no one position that is a golden ticket to becoming a train driver imo it depends on life experiences gained over a number of years but clearly you need safety critical experience with high responsibility and working as a guard could be a way in even if you end up having to apply for another toc than the one your employed with

Vast majority of jobs are of course in london

Last edited:

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Hi everyone. Like most I am continuously searching for a trainee train driver position to come up and I realise there are few out there. Having emailed a number of companies they suggest many posts go internally. Is any particular position more suitable to be a platform to becoming a trainee? Thanks guys. Any advice appreciated.

Your location is crucial. There has been considerable recruitment over the last couple of years, but as already stated, it's going to be a lot easier, if you live near to one of the major commuter routes.

When I had my induction as a trainee driver, some of those in the room, who'd been taken on for other jobs, were unsuccessful driver applicants, who'd had the carrot dangled of "go for this (harder to fill)job, and go for driving again in six months."
On my induction for another ToC, everyone was told about the 18 year old CSAs, who'd gone on to become drivers at 21. In reality, you don't need very many fingers to count how many of them that there actually were. Of the other c 40 people in the room for that course, one has become a driver in 10+ years. (Don't know if any have with other outfits).

Draw your own conclusions.

Palex79

Thanks guys. I live in Middlesbrough which makes it difficult. My nearest stations are Newcastle, York, Leeds etc but I'm willing to travel and relocate if needed. I have seen 2 positions for trainees in the past couple of months which were for Edinburgh and London so I keep hoping, but appreciate the majority will be for the London area.

Nick82

Just out of interest, would a TOC or FOC accept a MDD appliction for a qualified drivers position if that MDD individual decided to apply to for arguments sake VTEC or DRS. If so I assume a number of years experience would be required,

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Just out of interest, would a TOC or FOC accept a MDD appliction for a qualified drivers position if that MDD individual decided to apply to for arguments sake VTEC or DRS. If so I assume a number of years experience would be required,

That is an emphatic "No"
An MDD has never driven a train in the true sense of the word. It's a strictly limited competence.

At least one of the above will be sitting on multiple hundred CVs from qualified drivers, probably both.

notadriver

Established Member
I wish Beveridges was still here to answer on behalf of depot drivers now that Dave1987 has gone to main line.

Nick82

So Am I correct saying a MDD no matter of how many years experience and types of traction they are trained upon, he/she would have to go through trainee train driver training for any forth coming tocs/focs to be a qualified driver, and if this is the case then maybe MDD is not that good of a stepping stone to be a driver

Many thanks in advance guys

387star

On Moderation
So Am I correct saying a MDD no matter of how many years experience and types of traction they are trained upon, he/she would have to go through trainee train driver training for any forth coming tocs/focs to be a qualified driver, and if this is the case then maybe MDD is not that good of a stepping stone to be a driver

It seems things have changed and depot drivers have no advantage whatsoever over say a guard

I guess at a DOO operation like Greater Anglia they still have a small advantage as they are amongst the most safety critical staff

Nick82

It seems things have changed and depot drivers have no advantage whatsoever over say a guard

I guess at a DOO operation like Greater Anglia they still have a small advantage as they are amongst the most safety critical staff

So there's not a real need to do MDD job if your looking to move onto mainline driving. I'm looking to do both but I hear so much mixed information. All this around that MDD do the same assessments as drivers

E&W Lucas

Established Member

Correct.
There is one part of the GA franchise that uses depot driving as a progression grade. You have to go through it.
To the best of my knowledge, nowhere else.

You would have to apply as a trainee driver.

387star

On Moderation
I reckon C2C is the best for progression as AFAIK they never advertise mainline but often depot East Midlands Trains the same depending where you live

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I reckon C2C is the best for progression as AFAIK they never advertise mainline but often depot East Midlands Trains the same depending where you live

Or they may be simply be recruiting qualified drivers.

A-driver

Established Member
Or they may be simply be recruiting qualified drivers.

Can't see many qualified mainline drivers rushing to work for C2C. No variety of traction or routes and see a station stop work all day. Plus unlike lorol and x-rail they don't pay significantly better than most TOCs either.

387star

On Moderation
Are assessments easier to pass now?

This is a question I am interested in as in the past the process seemed incredibly tough to pass and it seemed very few made it through. The dot test, the mechanical test which came in two versions one being much tougher and the old reaction test with the pedals seemed to cull large numbers. Getting to the DM Interview used to seem major feat.

With the present assessments it seems everyone is passing them! or is that just me? a Driver friend agrees with me.

Another aspect of the recruitment I find puzzling is why every single DM interview is different. I have taken four and passed two. Two of them hardly asked any competency questions and were quite straight forward while the other two asked lots of comp questions to the point where I found them tougher in some ways to the MMI. I guess if the interviews were the same people would know the questions in advance so too many would pass the final stage as well!

I think the DM Interview is more crucial than it has ever been in regards to who passes and who doesn't. It is also possible to pass it and never have a high enough score to be progressed which in my opinion equals a fail

Last edited: