• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A trespassing enthusiast...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Hello folks, my 1st post here. I wasn't intending to make any contributions, I just enjoy reading the discussions. However, I came across another photo of a trespasser on a Flickr photostream and the similarity is unbelievable. Could this be the same man in the OP's photos?

Have a look here.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/36840294@N07/6108996170/
That's because it's exactly the same bloke at exactly the same location at the same time as the set of photos at the start of this thread.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

S19

I've just read that someone has been hit by a train near Oxenholme. It reminded me of this thread. Still can't believe individuals are even questioning why the bell end in the photos isn't safe!!

Karl

On Moderation
That's because it's exactly the same bloke at exactly the same location at the same time as the set of photos at the start of this thread.

Oops! It is, isn't it? I thought the Flickr photo of the 50 was from today, but it was yesterday's move wasn't it? My mistake. ;)

Snapper

Established Member
I always find it interesting the attitude to railway trespass in the UK compared to in Europe. Whilst I accept it is illegal to trespass on the railways I do feel that many go over the top with the outrage. I am also aware the effect of a 'one under' can have on a driver.

That said in Europe it is common place to have people wondering over the tracks without the same level of outrage. Why is that?

Not on the busiest high-speed lines in the country. Nor in places where their is such limited clearance that staff have to be warned not to stand there.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Surely there are no ifs and buts, trespassing is a criminal offence, pure and simple.

Stigy

Established Member
Someone walking on a Motorway embankment is not in a lot of danger but would be dealt with (like the man seen here) for being in an unusual position and also trespass.

There is trackside and on railway property. They are a different area and Airside has the additional issue of customs, as well as security.
Trespass is only a Criminal Offence on Railway Lines and Airside in this country. You wouldn't be dealt with for an offence of Trespass for being on a Motorway embankment, in fact you'd probably only be dealt with for anything at all if you were walking along the hard shoulder, but not Trespass.

As an educated guess, I imagine the reason Trespass is a Criminal Offence on rail lines and at air side locations is due to safety implications that both areas possess.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Forgive my naivety, since given the unanimous (and outraged) condemnation of this guy, I must be missing something. I am not a trainspotter.

What exactly is wrong with standing there? How does standing one foot the wrong side of a fence put his life in mortal peril, as implied by a few of the posts on here?

If it is likely to cause major delays on the line (is it? I'm not in the industry so don't know), I can understand the outrage, but the outpouring of bile seems a little over the top to me!
So what happens if this idiot falls over and knocks himself unconscious on a running rail?

es373

True, but in fairness, he wasn't actually in the area the sign was refering to..Not the point though!

Huh?

I always thought signs on the railways give rule for the area starting from the sign going past it.

But then whaddo I know?

Stigy

Established Member
Huh?

I always thought signs on the railways give rule for the area starting from the sign going past it.

But then whaddo I know?
They do, but the actual structure that the sign referred to was next to the guy. I see what you're saying though...

Status
Not open for further replies.