• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio Greater Anglia Class 755s (Regional Trains)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Superb throughout.

Good as it gets very hot in East Anglia. But also extremely cold in winter. Very European climate in comparison with points west. One thing that tempts me to move there.

Class 170101

Established Member
Good as it gets very hot in East Anglia. But also extremely cold in winter. Very European climate in comparison with points west. One thing that tempts me to move there.

But don't expect a train service if we get more than an inch of snow and a severely reduced one if any falls. :D

Fast Track

Just wondering - Given the better feedback wouldn't the 755's have been a more suitable replacement for GWR HST's than the Hitachi 800's?

ic31420

Just wondering - Given the better feedback wouldn't the 755's have been a more suitable replacement for GWR HST's than the Hitachi 800's?

Top speed is lower and you'd need multiple thrash cupboards per unit... You could put them at either end of of the train as a separate vehicle and put a cab on them.... Ah... Wait... Hasn't that been done?

James James

Top speed is lower and you'd need multiple thrash cupboards per unit... You could put them at either end of of the train as a separate vehicle and put a cab on them.... Ah... Wait... Hasn't that been done?
Flirts can be built in a 200km/h version - but IIRC Stadler were offering the smile as a hybrid for the midlands (which can go up to 250km/h), so either way - would work. Where to put the generators is indeed a problem though.

59CosG95

Established Member
Flirts can be built in a 200km/h version - but IIRC Stadler were offering the smile as a hybrid for the midlands (which can go up to 250km/h), so either way - would work. Where to put the generators is indeed a problem though.
(For reference to those not familiar with Stadler products, the "SMILE" stands for "Schneller Mehrsystemfähiger Innovativer Leichter Expresszug", or "speedy, multi-system, innovative, lightweight express train". Only one example is in service currently, this being the SBB RABe 501.)
1596096357405.png

Energy

Established Member
Do we have a source for them offering this?

James James

Energy

Established Member

chiltern trev

Level Boarding. What is the level boarding experience of these units? It is clearly near level and thus easier to board than higher floor units, but how level? What if is the height difference? Is there much of a gap between the car floor and the platform edge? Do wheelchair users need to book in advance or is it turn up and go?

Are more wheelchair users and families with pushchairs and buggies using the service - this question may of course not be applicable or determinable at the moment due to COVID?

trebor79

Established Member
Level Boarding. What is the level boarding experience of these units? It is clearly near level and thus easier to board than higher floor units, but how level? What if is the height difference? Is there much of a gap between the car floor and the platform edge? Do wheelchair users need to book in advance or is it turn up and go?
Completely level boarding at all the platforms I've used. Before the door opens, a piece of floor slides out, makes contact with the platform edge and then retracts about half a centimetre so there is essentially no gap.
I'm not sure if wheelchair users need to book. There are "755 only" ramps chained up at the rural stations, but I can't imagine what they would be needed for.

dk1

Veteran Member

Are more wheelchair users and families with pushchairs and buggies using the service - this question may of course not be applicable or determinable at the moment due to COVID?
The use of a ramp is pretty much extinct in these parts nowadays.

Rick1984

You occasionally get the odd ramp that doesn't line up with edge quite as well due to the platform, not the train.
Even then it's still pretty level

dk1

Veteran Member
Ah right. Does seem very pointless having the aforementioned platform based ramps then
Probably as some gaps still exist. We have also had those that for some reason are unsure about the retracting step and request a ramp. Luckily the superior acceleration can claw back the delay then incurred.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
You occasionally get the odd ramp that doesn't line up with edge quite as well due to the platform, not the train.
Even then it's still pretty level
An example of this can be seen in this tweet: https://twitter.com/speedysticks007/status/1285888731694739459?s=21
And here: https://twitter.com/speedysticks007/status/1285889124780711936?s=21

(I’m not in a position to try to embed the photos or similar right now, but for those who can’t/don’t wish to follow the links through to Twitter - the tweets have a photo of not quite so level boarding against platforms at Norwich and Peterborough respectively.)

Rick1984

Cheers, couldn't find any images to illustrate. That Peterborough one looks like it could potentially cause damage!

Midnight Sun

Cheers, couldn't find any images to illustrate. That Peterborough one looks like it could potentially cause damage!
Only on Platform five at Peterborough which is a bit low. The GA Ipswich trains very rarely use this this platform, Normally uses platform six.

James James

That thing hanging off the bottom is (I think) there to detect obstacles and prevent damage. Haven't actually seen this documented, but that's how I've observed it working.

When they do start working from Liv St what services will they be working, and roughly how many per day

TheEdge

Established Member
That thing hanging off the bottom is (I think) there to detect obstacles and prevent damage. Haven't actually seen this documented, but that's how I've observed it working.

As soon as the step touches something it pulls back a few centimeters before stopping. The little dangly bits are to detect anything directly under the step, so it stops the step passing over a platform and then possibly either trapping something or getting caught and unable to retract.

I spent the beginning of this week in Norwich and rode on 3-car and 4-car sets on both the Cromer/Sheringham and Great Yarmouth lines,

Initial thoughts.

Ride good, I like the level boarding, very noisy when sitting near to the engine compartment, seats uncomfortable (and the moquette on some of the seats hasn't worn very well), surprised that the seats don't seem to be numbered (and therefore no facilities for seat reservations), but overall quite good.

I was surprised that the windows didn't have blinds (but had coach hooks), and subsequently realised that the glass seems to be treated to prevent glare; videos taken through the windows show a small square pattern in the glass which wasn't noticeable to the naked eye.

Until travelling on the trains, I hadn't realised that the actual walk-through was level over the bogies, and that it is just the sides beneath the seats which have raised floors; if it is possible to establish a level walkway over the centres of the bogies, why is it necessary to raise the floor levels on either side?

I noticed that when standing in platforms 1 - 5 in Norwich, the diesel engines were switched off and the pantographs raised; is that normal?

Midnight Sun

Until travelling on the trains, I hadn't realised that the actual walk-through was level over the bogies, and that it is just the sides beneath the seats which have raised floors; if it is possible to establish a level walkway over the centres of the bogies, why is it necessary to raise the floor levels on either side?

I noticed that when standing in platforms 1 - 5 in Norwich, the diesel engines were switched off and the pantographs raised; is that normal?

You need somewhere for the wheels go, otherwise they will be tiny. These higher seat are like by people who have problem getting up or down. As they can sit on the seat and bring their legs around. It is normal for the pantograph to be raised so there is power for the AC.