• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accessing these forums on a mobile and correcting spellings issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Wasn't sure where to posr this but does any access this site using their mobile phone or tablet, in particular Android tablets?

When posting if I type something in that is spelt incorrectly and select the correctly spelt word from my keyboard suggestions, it puts something other gobbledygook instead a lot of the time but not every time.

Hitting the back button doesn't always help. Pressing the suggested word again also doesn't do it until about the third or fourth attempt if one is lucky.

For example I misspelt lucky as luxky and when I went to correct it, it put in lixky instead of lucky.

I can raise it with a mod but I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this behaviour.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Domh245

Established Member
Nope, I've noticed it as well, and only on this site. Device is a moto g5s running android 7.1.1, gboard 7.2.9, and chrome 67.0.3396 if it helps?

jon0844

Veteran Member
I use SwiftKey as my keyboard and there have been problems with some forums on the Android Chrome browser with various revisions. I do wish we could one day get Tapatalk back working.

pdq

I used to get the problem with SwiftKey, but I've just typed this with no problems, so maybe a recent Android upgrade has resolved it. I think I got the same errors with Gboard at the time.

AlexNL

Established Member
I've noticed similar behaviour, but only when I'm using the rich text editor. If I switch to plain text (using the top right button) the problem goes away.

Chrome 67 on Android 8.0.0 here, using GBoard.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I didn't even know about that. This does seem a lot better.

Seems to suggest the forum software is not working nicely with Chrome. Not sure where the fault lies.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Pressing back space - they typing cursor, not the back page - should revert the changed word to how you have typed it and also offer an option to add it to the phone's dictionary.

I am having no problems using Chrome on my mobile - apart from my own fat fingers...

whhistle

On Moderation
I noticed this a while ago too.
You could try "requesting desktop site" and see if that changes anything?

Also, try visiting the site in "incognito" mode (for Chrome) or "Private" mode for Edge.
Outlook.com ignores the "request desktop site" function unless you're in some sort of private/incognito mode.

Don't get it with any other forums I visit on my phone, but it's rare for me to use my phone to visit them.

krus_aragon

Established Member
I now have an Android phone (KeyOne), but don't use any custom keyboards or swipe-to-type interfaces such as swiftkey. I've not noticed anything unusual about the text input, so I'd agree that it's some strange bug in how your keyboard software interfaces with the forum's javascript.

P.S. Have you tried a different web browser on Android? I don't use the default (Chrome).

A Challenge

Established Member
On my (android) phone, it does work asking for desktop mode, don't know if it it's the case for your phone.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It is a bug with your browser. See the bug report here, which has been incorrectly closed, so maybe users could petition for it to be reopened. I don't understand how Android works and what all this talk is about separate keyboards; it's all meaningless to me, but I'm sure their customers will make better sense of it.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Most Android devices use a software-based onscreen keyboard for typing. In years passim, this was a simple press-each-button thing, but without the tactile feedback you'd get on a physical keyboard. Then some companies developed replacement keyboard software, with added features such as swiping/dragging your finger from letter to letter, coupled with a customised autocorrect function for this new input method.

Thanks for the link. The link you shared indicates that the chromium (browser) developers informed the swiftkey (swipe keyboard) developers about the bug.

I won't be following the bug issue myself, because my phone really does have a "separate" physical keyboard below the screen, which I use exclusively. I encourage those who are having trouble with their onscreen keyboard to raise the issue at the link Mojo gave, or contact swiftkey directly.

nlogax

Established Member
Most Android devices use a software-based onscreen keyboard for typing. In years passim, this was a simple press-each-button thing, but without the tactile feedback you'd get on a physical keyboard. Then some companies developed replacement keyboard software, with added features such as swiping/dragging your finger from letter to letter, coupled with a customised autocorrect function for this new input method.

This is no different to iOS devices. Apple opened up iOS to third party keyboard apps back in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.