• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accommodation suggestions and reviews

richw

Veteran Member
HaHa...'hot receptionist'!:D

Lots of recommendations for Premiers and Travelodges...I guess you know where you are with these. Indeed an FCC driver mate of mine always books ahead in the Prem Inn, Blossom Street. York, with his family (5 mins walk fro station): very happy with it...good bar etc though York has so many good pubs!

To try to rebalance in favour of good family run B+Bs, I recommend 'Seawards Guest House' in Falmouth...5 mins from Town station. I know Falmouth a bit out on limb, but a crackin' place...incidentally Seawards is a bottles throw from the Pavillion where they hold good gigs and the Falmouth beer festival in November.

More B+Bs please.

i will pass your feedback on, A friend of my mum owns/ manages Seawards. I grew up in Falmouth and have never lived more than 10 miles away

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

caliwag

How about that? They'll know me as Jim from York...stayed several times. My son went the new Uni there and we all fell in love with the area. Shame the branch trains can't quite handle the loadings for the many events, one day!

richw

Veteran Member
I live on the road immediately between the uni and rail station at present, although will most certainly be moving in January, as we need a larger house to move to at the end of our tenancy on 31st january

Butts

Veteran Member
Suprising as it may seem you can sometimes get a Holiday Inn or Express by Holiday Inn as cheap or cheaper than a Premier Inn or Travelodge....always worth a try !!

When Travelodge first started in the late eighties it was part of the Forte Empire - Welcome Break Little Chef etc.

The prices were the same every night and undercut the chain hotels.

Now the prices can exceed a ton !!!

Generally Premier Inn are more expensive and better quality then Travelodge
which has constant room promotions.

caliwag

Ah OK. Is that Penryn station? If so I've walked that bit a few times. Lad lived in some excellent houses in Falmouth, mainly near the art college. Any student who attends the Uni now gets fantastic new build facilities, I was most impressed, and with late buses from town.
Lovely little line...difficult to believe that it was part of the crack Brunel broad gauge, with Falmouth being the most important continental postal port.

Incidentally, I posted a question a while back about the docks line, to no avail. last year they weeded and replaced rotten sleepers on the approach road, but has there been any regular freight business? Indeed I wonder now if the passenger frequency and Penryn loop might prohibit much activity!

richw

Veteran Member
Suprising as it may seem you can sometimes get a Holiday Inn or Express by Holiday Inn as cheap or cheaper than a Premier Inn or Travelodge....always worth a try !!

I stayed in Hilton in Reading for cheaper then travelodge/ premier inn quoted me for my dates in september this year!

Ah OK. Is that Penryn station? If so I've walked that bit a few times. Lad lived in some excellent houses in Falmouth, mainly near the art college. Any student who attends the Uni now gets fantastic new build facilities, I was most impressed, and with late buses from town.
Lovely little line...difficult to believe that it was part of the crack Brunel broad gauge, with Falmouth being the most important continental postal port.

Incidentally, I posted a question a while back about the docks line, to no avail. last year they weeded and replaced rotten sleepers on the approach road, but has there been any regular freight business? Indeed I wonder now if the passenger frequency and Penryn loop might prohibit much activity!

No freight passes along to my knowledge. Yes as you head down from the uni i live in the road with kingdom hall on the corner

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm always amazed when watching "Four in a Bed" how much some of the B&B's are charging - well over a ton in some cases. :cry:

Unless you are travelling alone the key factor is to look for a price per room than rather per person - this can result in a big saving.

richw

Veteran Member
I'm always amazed when watching "Four in a Bed" how much some of the B&B's are charging - well over a ton in some cases. :cry:

Unless you are travelling alone the key factor is to look for a price per room than rather per person - this can result in a big saving.

do most not charge per room then? I've never seen a per person tariff,

I watch 4 in a bed often, my favourite episode, 2 woman had strategically paid low to help themselves win the programme. the secong couple had cottoned on to this and paid 10 times the room rate to the third couple. The pair that had underpaid to do themselves favour, their face was one of tv's top moments of the year in my opinion!

Butts

Veteran Member
do most not charge per room then? I've never seen a per person tariff,

I watch 4 in a bed often, my favourite episode, 2 woman had strategically paid low to help themselves win the programme. the secong couple had cottoned on to this and paid 10 times the room rate to the third couple. The pair that had underpaid to do themselves favour, their face was one of tv's top moments of the year in my opinion!

Sorry I didn't express myself very well - I was referring mainly to Hotels which sometimes charge per person although the trend seems to be towards per room.

I missed the episode you refer to above - when was it on a while back ?

theblackwatch

Established Member
I've used plenty of Travelodges over the years and generally they are ok but not the sort of place I'd go for a week's holiday. Ideal for bashing trips and railtours when you get back late or want to get up early. (I'm sure many place wouldn't be happy at arriving to check in at 02.30, but I've done it with Travelodge.) As Jordy mentions, they seem unable to supply the correct amount of bedding - I do wonder if they even bother to look and see how many people the booking has been made for?

I have a couple of Travelodges I would avoid though. Firstly, King's Cross Royal Scot (not to be confused with King's Cross). Huge place obviously not previously a Travelodge and was, I suspect, more a hostel in a previous life. We booked a triple room (unusual for Travelodge to offer these). The 3 beds were definately past their best as was the rest of the room, and it was clear that the 3 had been squeezed into a previously twin/double room - hardly any space between them and only 2 bedside lights attached to the wall, located pretty much between the beds! Lots of noise from teenagers running up and down the corridor into the early hours shouting at each other, akin to a Yoth Hostel. Not enough lifts in the morning, had to wait 5-10 mins for one to stop that had space to get in.

Secondly, Watford. Arrived to find it was 'overbooked' (apparently in line with common hotel practice, yet I've still to find another chain which ways it does this), so we were sent by taxi to Hemel Hempstead on the first night where they put us up. On the second night, the place was full of people who had spent the night clubbing and rolled in at 2 or 3 am shouting, I assume it was one of them who decided to set off the fire alarm shortly after meaning we had to evacuate the place for 20 minutes in the middle of the night.

One nice place I stayed in a couple of times a few years back was the Anchorage Guesthouse in Cardiff, about 5-10 mins from the station across the river. I had previously stayed in a place a few doors down from it, but another enthusiast I knew was staying in this place and it was about £10 less. The breakfast there would have filled even those with the biggest appetites, one of the largest I've ever had. (Much better than the place I'd stayed in before down the road, there the cooked element consisted of a rasher of bacon, a sausage, an egg and a tomato - I really don't think you could serve much less!) I've not been there for a few years though since, with the end of the Rhymney and Fishguard loco-hauleds so unsure if the place is still as good or even still there.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
b n BS OFTEN CHARGE pG rather than per room. Favourit has easily to be the staymor guest house in York street blackpool

didnt mention to start with as not all that near any of the stations, 5 - 10 mins cab ride and not great if bashing with an early start as breakfast is at 9am. On the plus side though its ideal for a tram and olimpian bash day though and between £16 and £20pg. More unusually for that price in the resort its spotless, run by a friendly Scot named Eddy and has all you need. Worth noting dubble beds only, noensuit and no stags or large male groups. Shared bathrooms very clean, food good, evening meal bookable in advane, 10 mins from pleasurebeach if like me you enjoy rollercosters!
Www.staymorblackpoo.com
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
in stark contrast avoid Solhyme Guesthouse, lerwick, Shetland. grim!

Butts

Veteran Member
One of the biggest downsides to smaller hotels or B&B's is often the restrictive hours with regard to Breakfast.

A lot of them only have a one hour window, I suppose it's understandable from their perspective due to the limited number of guests.

richw

Veteran Member
good PI up to standard and hot receptionist :) at least she was 2 years ago! :)

I believe your receptionist may still be there, or at least the receptionist fitted the description when i checked in on Monday, When i checked out on Wednesday the receptionist then definitely didnt fit that description!

tony_mac

Established Member
I've stayed at Kings Cross Royal Scot and it was fine.

The 2 for 1 and weekend rates at Holiday Inns and Holiday Inn Expresses can be really good value - particularly if you sign up for all the promotions and collect the points.

For instance, HIX Stevenage is currently £50 for the weekend (2 nights), you can sleep up to 4 people, get a basic breakfast, and if you have free FCC tickets it's a handy base!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
no use for bashing but for the ultimate Central Scotland party weekend then the Holiday Inn Express at strathclyde Park is good, wel priced and 5 mins walk from M and D's theme and ammusement park. There is a toby carvery and an innkeepers which should now be a travelodge nearby also but the express is far better for the same money and tends to attract the better behaved party animals
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
oh and to correct my earlier link

www.staymorblackpool.com

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you're after somewhere to stay in/around London, I recommend London Edmonton TL - 15 mins on the train out of Liverpool Street to Edmonton green, then a 30 second walk to the TL.

Probably the best TL I've been in; quiet, decent sized rooms with comfortable beds.

Brand new too - only opened 2-3 weeks ago :)

Heinz57

I havn't realy done any bashing. But can I list a couple I've stayed in whilst working away?

Stayed in a Trvelodge near Wimbledon which was pretty awful - crumbeing paint, exposed waterpipes (This wasn't like the normal copper piping you might see, this was blue flexible pipe just chucked up as some sort of quick fix) shower didnt work, no plug in the sink.

On the other end of the scale, stayed in a Travelodge somewhere outside Birmingham - very clean, comfortable beds, the shower worked, nice and quiet (couldn't even hear noise from neighbouring rooms or the corridor)

12CSVT

Established Member
In the past 3 months I have stayed at :

Harewood Lodge B&B, Darlington (for the PLEG Shildon/Weardale gronk bash) - quite good, and very reasonably priced

IBIS Hotel, Irving Street, Birmingham (for the LM 150 farewell tour) - was like being in a prison as you have to pass through a security gate to get in and out

McLays Guest House, Glasgow - ideal location for the city centre but very scruffy and rundown

Beansheaf Hotel, near Pickering (for NYMR diesel gala) - probably one of the best B&Bs I have stayed in

4SRKT

Established Member
I could do with knowing a cheap place in Inverness. Not too worried about high quality: warm and dry is enough. Any recommendations?

Lrd

Established Member
I could do with knowing a cheap place in Inverness. Not too worried about high quality: warm and dry is enough. Any recommendations?

I use an excellent website called Hostel World. It shows details of local hostels/BnB's/hotels and lets people to post reviews.

You have to pay 10% to book a room though.

Butts

Veteran Member
I went to see my daughter in St Andrews yesterday (just as well it wasn't today !!!) and got a corker of a bargain.

Booked on "Late Rooms" the night before a single for £30 The Greyfriars Hotel.

When I got there they gave me a "Superior Double Room" -walk in shower, separate Bath, Sofa in the room, huge telly etc.

Four Star Hotel Room for a travelodge or less price :p

Blindtraveler

Established Member

im told my friends who hostel that Invernes's arnt up to standard but can personally reccommend
http://guide.visitscotland.com/vs/guide/5,en,SCH1/objectId,ACC2065Svs,curr,GBP,season,at1,selectedEntry,home/home.html
failing that, the kings highway wetherspoons hotel is good or if times on your side and dont need to be in city centre a cupple of good ones in aviemore and dingwall

Butts

Veteran Member

table38

Established Member
I've booked in here for the weekend of the Concrete Cow tour in January.

I'm not sure what to expect for £45/night in London. Maybe if I set my expectations really really low, I won't be in for too much of a shock :)

Butts

Veteran Member
I've booked in here for the weekend of the Concrete Cow tour in January.

I'm not sure what to expect for £45/night in London. Maybe if I set my expectations really really low, I won't be in for too much of a shock :)

Have you checked trip advisor - not be all and end all but worth a shufty.

table38

Established Member
Have you checked trip advisor - not be all and end all but worth a shufty.

I hadn't thought about that... actually it doesn't look too bad ! http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d320210-Reviews-County_London-London_England.html

I did look on Trip Advisor for a Travelodge after I'd stayed where my room and pretty much the whole corridor smelt of sewage and the TV reception ws abysmal... oddly most of the comments on there were favourable so I didn't bother (bit I did send my "feedback" to the Hotel although I never heard anything back)

Butts

Veteran Member
I hadn't thought about that... actually it doesn't look too bad ! http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g186338-d320210-Reviews-County_London-London_England.html

I did look on Trip Advisor for a Travelodge after I'd stayed where my room and pretty much the whole corridor smelt of sewage and the TV reception ws abysmal... oddly most of the comments on there were favourable so I didn't bother (bit I did send my "feedback" to the Hotel although I never heard anything back)

Yes your hotel has mixed reviews - the proof is in the pudding. I have stayed in some that have been slated and thought them ok and vice versa.

With the "thin walls" hopefully your venue is not a "knocking shop":p