• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accommodation suggestions and reviews

Established Member
I could do with knowing a cheap place in Inverness. Not too worried about high quality: warm and dry is enough. Any recommendations?

Royal Highland was decent when I stayed last year and was only about £30 when I booked it, including breakfast.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

table38

Established Member
With the "thin walls" hopefully your venue is not a "knocking shop":p

Well I'm not planning on spending too much time sober or even conscious in the room so should be OK.

A friend suggested a gay B&B near Kings Cross - I've been to the bar (and *ahem* the club downstairs) but it might also score fairly high on the knocking shop scale!

Last time I did stay in a gay B&B it was odd how many times someone else turned up in the corridor just after I'd gone to use the Bathroom in the night :eek:

(There was probably another type of bashing going on in the rooms as well :))

theblackwatch

Established Member
I've booked in here for the weekend of the Concrete Cow tour in January.

I'm not sure what to expect for £45/night in London. Maybe if I set my expectations really really low, I won't be in for too much of a shock :)

I've stayed there on a few occasions in recent years when I've not been able to find a cheap Travelodge or similar and been on my own. It's certainly tired and could do with a refurbishment, but I've found it clean never had any problems there (such as 'no hot water' which you sometimes read about at places) - there's tea/coffee in the room, the breakfast is reasonable (and help yourself, though the plates are a bit small so you have to go back for secods!). It's not somewhere I'd go for a week's holiday but as a bed for the night it's ok. Rooms at the back are best as no traffic noise, but that's luck of the draw.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
i too have used although had forgotten about it! :) booked in one night round 10 after my cuzzons wedding a cupple of years back. Had ment to be staying near victoria at the Hotel Rama (avoid if still open) but due to the formentioned being dredfull a LU Worker recomended as somewhere they used after nights out. Nice breaky, clean and as somebody who preferrs ensuits the shared facilities were good!

table38

Established Member
Thank you both, I shall visit with less trepidation now and of course I know who to blame now if it is a dump :)

I shall do a full Judith Chalmers-esque review after my stay.

Butts

Veteran Member
Thank you both, I shall visit with less trepidation now and of course I know who to blame now if it is a dump :)

Don't hold back we want "bed bugs" and all the whole unadulterated truth:p

Ive stayed at plenty over the years. But I have particular favourites in certain places that I keep going back to that are handy for the towns railway stations.

table38

Established Member
oh dear..now iv said that the breaky wil be minging, rooms and washrooms dirty and Mr and Mrs Smith booked in next door! :)
at least theblackwatch is a mod so could remove your review if too harsh. :)

Lol if you feel your ears burning about 4pm on 20th Jan you'll know...

theblackwatch

Established Member
Another place I've stayed in London, which not everyone will be eligible to stay at, is the Union Jack club which is conveniently located between Waterloo and Waterloo East stations in a high rise building which, depending on which way your room faces, gives some quite good photting opportunities! It is however only available to servicement past and present, plus those employed in the emergency services and UK civil service. A basic single is £49.50 if I recall correctly, a bit more expensive than the County Hotel and it doesn't include breakfast, but it doesn't have the same run down feel to it.

Butts

Veteran Member
Another place I've stayed in London, which not everyone will be eligible to stay at, is the Union Jack club which is conveniently located between Waterloo and Waterloo East stations in a high rise building which, depending on which way your room faces, gives some quite good photting opportunities! It is however only available to servicement past and present, plus those employed in the emergency services and UK civil service. A basic single is £49.50 if I recall correctly, a bit more expensive than the County Hotel and it doesn't include breakfast, but it doesn't have the same run down feel to it.

Blimey is that place still open - I stayed in there over thirty years ago when I was in the "Air Cadets". Thought it would have been rubble by now. Or was it when I was in the Navy its so long ago I can't remember.:p

table38

Established Member

Well my stay in the County Hotel was quite acceptable. I've certainly paid more for worse in London, and I would definitely stay there again. It was quite literally is a stone's throw from Euston, sort of diagonally across from the Head of Steam / Doric Arch pub.

The style of the rooms is quite dated, but my room was spotlessly clean and had new carpet and all of the paintwork was fine. There were plenty of separate toilets and bath/showers, and one set on my floor had been completely refurbished and re-tiled as good as any modern hotel. There was free wireless in reception.

I paid £46/night with a full englsh breakfast thrown in (which I didn't try as I left too early on the Saturday and was too hung over on the Sunday).

The key (pictured on the desk below) was fixed to a long piece of metal presumaly to prevent you from accidentally taking it home. You left it with the porters when you went out, and used your Room Card to retrieve it on your return.

Also I was lucky to have not one, but two pictures of Crystal Palace in my room. I wondered if it was some subtle "spot the difference" competition :)

Attachments

• IMAG0966.jpg
    IMAG0966.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMAG0967.jpg
    IMAG0967.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0970.jpg
    IMAG0970.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 65

First class

Established Member
I would highly recommend the Edinburgh Royal Terrace hotel, about half a mile or so from Waverley.

The Falstaff hotel in Leamington Spa is also a little gem.

Worst hotel I've ever stayed in London was the Belgrave House Hotel. Cheap & cheerful, shame about the blatant double use as a brothel.

Cletus

Established Member
Stayed at the Ibis Elstree last Friday night for £35.00 15/20 minute walk from Elstree/Borehamwood station in London zone 6.

It was clean and quite. Usual basic room – bed, tv with remote & pod-like bathroom with walk- in shower. Didn’t use bar/restaurant.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Well my stay in the County Hotel was quite acceptable. I've certainly paid more for worse in London, and I would definitely stay there again. It was quite literally is a stone's throw from Euston, sort of diagonally across from the Head of Steam / Doric Arch pub.

The style of the rooms is quite dated, but my room was spotlessly clean and had new carpet and all of the paintwork was fine. There were plenty of separate toilets and bath/showers, and one set on my floor had been completely refurbished and re-tiled as good as any modern hotel. There was free wireless in reception.

I paid £46/night with a full englsh breakfast thrown in (which I didn't try as I left too early on the Saturday and was too hung over on the Sunday).

The key (pictured on the desk below) was fixed to a long piece of metal presumaly to prevent you from accidentally taking it home. You left it with the porters when you went out, and used your Room Card to retrieve it on your return.

Also I was lucky to have not one, but two pictures of Crystal Palace in my room. I wondered if it was some subtle "spot the difference" competition :)

I'm pleased you found it acceptable - I assumed you must have or you would have been storming up and down the train on Saturday trying to work out who I was to have a rant at! :lol:

I'd forgotten about the strange key there. Incidentally, you weren't the only person on the tour who stayed there - I bumped into someone else I know during the course of Friday and he was staying there too. (He had got some deal through Travelsphere at £29.50, I don't know the details but worth investigating for the future?)

Drsatan

Established Member
One hostel I'd recommend is the YMCA hostel on the outskirts of Penzance. It's a good 20 minute walk from the station, but with a student ID card it's only £12 a night including a light breakfast. The staff are friendly and the rooms and bathrooms are kept clean and tidy at all times.

I wouldn't use HostelWorld to book a bed in a hostel since the website is known to remove unfavourable reviews of certain establishments.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Stayed at Twickenham Travelodge on the weekend. Quite a new hotel and was very nice indeed. Right next to the railway station (about 5 metres from the night exit!) and we had a railway view from the room!

Downside was that we had a really bad mobile phone reception; not sure why as it was fine outside. Must be something to do with the cladding on the building.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Travelodge (Wembley), just down the road from Stonebridge Park station, is fine - it may be a bit noisy at the front, but the rooms that don't back onto the North London Circular out front are quite nice.

Established Member
Ye Olde Fighting Cocks at Arnside is a good place to stay - massive room for the price, plus the breakfast was excellent. Good pub too, which helps.

Stayed above an Italian restaurant in Pwllheli, room was crap and nearly had to break the door down to get out early the next morning as it wouldn't open properly.

Also stayed in a B+B at Cromer, only people there were me and two track engineers staying over for a job. The one I stayed in at Derby, I was the only person there. Probably closed down by now.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Does anyone know anywhere good within walking distance of Plymouth station (or a station near Plymouth)? I'm planning on doing a Freedom of Devon and Cornwall Rover 3 in 7 Days this summer and need somewhere for a couple of nights to base myself from.

Hydro

Established Member
Does anyone know anywhere good within walking distance of Plymouth station (or a station near Plymouth)? I'm planning on doing a Freedom of Devon and Cornwall Rover 3 in 7 Days this summer and need somewhere for a couple of nights to base myself from.

What's your budget? We use the Copthorne quite often, which is five minutes from Plymouth station, but it's not hugely cheap.

Butts

Veteran Member
On my forthcoming trip to York in February I couldn't find a decent hotel (price wise) so I opted for somewhere near Bradford Station - a reasonable train ride away.

Hilton Hotel and it's right by the Station according to the website - looks nice for the money under £50 B&B for a smoking King - don't tell me it's a knocking shop, and is it close to the station ?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

That looks interesting and quite handily placed near to the station as well thanks :)

What's your budget? We use the Copthorne quite often, which is five minutes from Plymouth station, but it's not hugely cheap.

I'm planning on being in Plymouth two nights (probably arrive on a Tuesday evening and leave on a Thursday morning) and I don't really want to be spending much more than £60-80 (so a proper hotel is probably out of my price range ;)).

CC 72100

Established Member
I am :) I'm a final year History student

Yay! A fellow Exeter student! :P I'm in first year, doing French & Spanish. Enjoyed your time here?

Really should set up a thread where we could all see where we're studying, would be quite interesting....