• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accommodation suggestions and reviews

D6975

Established Member
I recently stayed at Ashleigh House, Victoria Place, Carlisle.
£40 a night, good breakfast, very nice room with a huge flat screen TV.
About 5 mins walk from the station.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Butts

Veteran Member
Premier Inn doing £29 Rooms in London after the Olympics.

I had an e-mail and checked they do exist all be it mainly on Sundays in locations such as Tower Hill.

IanD

Established Member
Stayed at the Pride Park Travelodge in Derby. About 10-15 mins walk from the rear entrance from Derby station. Normal basic TL offering except it only seems to have double and twin rooms. Burger King and Pizza Hut close by. Subway and Greggs over the road by the football ground.

Also stayed in the Travelodge in Caernarfon. Great location about 10-15 minutes walk from the Welsh Highland Railway station. Only £3 to get the bus from Pwllheli bus station (23 miles, think the driver may have been related to Lewis Hamilton). No cafe/bar but there's a Wetherspoons 5 mins walk away (decent pint of Swampy) and lots of good pubs in the town. The Anglesey under the Castle overlooking the Menaii Straits (and Anglesey) does a good pint of Pedigree. Morrisons is just across from the TL so handy for breakfast and stocking up on supplies.

Cardiff Queen Street Travelodge - right in the centre of Cardiff. Was based there for 3 nights last year when I did a 4-in-8 Freedom of South Wales Rover.

Thank goodness for Travelodge sale alerts!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Stayed at the Pride Park Travelodge in Derby. About 10-15 mins walk from the rear entrance from Derby station. Normal basic TL offering except it only seems to have double and twin rooms. Burger King and Pizza Hut close by. Subway and Greggs over the road by the football ground.

I stayed here last year and found it to be quite nice, a bit better than the normal Travelodge, as it used to be a ''Sleep Inn,'' although sources also point to it being a ''Purple Hotel.'' Spot the difference:
SleepInnDerby.jpg
154257a_hb_a_001.jpg

It appeared to have Air Conditioning (I don't think many/any Travelodges do) but we couldn't work out how to get it working; it has probably been decommissioned.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I stayed in the Hotel Asterisk in Amsterdam, room was tiny and not that clean, but it was cheap with a good location 2 mins from a tram to Centraal station

Lrd

Established Member
Currently on holiday in Portugal, staying at Hotel Navegadores in Monte Gordo. It's a 10/15 min walk to the station and can see the line from the balcony. Not the most up to date of hotels but room is tidy and clean, restaurant is very cluttered and only have an indoor pool.
But the beach is literally 2mins away and is very nice!

WestCoast

Established Member
I'm usually a Premier Inn/Travelodge user for most trips to cities, so it was interesting to compare a few other budget chains operating in the UK...

Tune Hotel London Kings Cross - The Asian budget chain which already has 4 hotels in Central London. Paid just £35 for a windowless double on a Friday night, so expectations were not high. However, the room was rather modern and extremely clean with a very comfortable bed and a powerful shower. Lots of mirrors to detract from the lack of window. Staff were very friendly and motivated.

It's pay-as-you-go, so you pay extra for the TV, toiletry packs and Air Conditioning. I could see this chain proving to be serious competition for Travelodge and Premier Inn, and apparently they are opening up in Edinburgh and Liverpool.

easyHotel Glasgow - This chain has been around for a while (indeed a spin-off from easyJet/Bus/Car/Gym e.t.c) and has quite a few locations around Europe. I paid just £19 for a Sunday night. The room reminded me of cabin on the North Sea ferries, very small and not a place you'd want to spend too much time in. Still if all you want is a clean sleeping space for the night and a bathroom to freshen up in, it's certainly worth considering.

Yotel Gatwick - Interesting, it's how I would imagine the sleeping quarters on a luxury space ship. Paid £39 for a night. Extremely modern, you check-in yourself via a machine. The room was tiny - however it was comfortable and very luxurious, but the walls are a bit thin, you could hear people coming and going.

Formule 1 Liverpool - Not good at all. Paid about £25. The rooms were a bit grubby and it's three or four rooms to one bathroom. No staff on duty during the night, meaning that some interesting characters were coming into the hotel. The only thing good about it is the location near Albert Dock.

ETAP Leeds - Not bad really. Good location and friendly staff, although this hotel seemed to attract a lot of stag and hen parties. At £33 standard rate for a functional room which sleeps three including capsule ensuite, TV and soap, it's extremely good value. ETAP exists all around Europe, you will find them everywhere. The rooms were a bit worn in Leeds, but not unclean by any means.

Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
Formule 1 Liverpool - Not good at all. Paid about £25. The rooms were a bit grubby and it's three or four rooms to one bathroom. No staff on duty during the night, meaning that some interesting characters were coming into the hotel. The only thing good about it is the location near Albert Dock.

I think that is quite often the case with the Formule 1 chain here in the UK. From what I've read, they're not always in the best part of town to begin with.

IanD

Established Member
I stayed here last year and found it to be quite nice, a bit better than the normal Travelodge, as it used to be a ''Sleep Inn,'' although sources also point to it being a ''Purple Hotel.'' Spot the difference:
SleepInnDerby.jpg
154257a_hb_a_001.jpg

It appeared to have Air Conditioning (I don't think many/any Travelodges do) but we couldn't work out how to get it working; it has probably been decommissioned.

That's the place. I was on the top floor, sixth window from the right. Had a distant view of trains heading to/from Nottingham/London.

I meant to mention that I booked a twin room but they had none left when I arrived so I had to have a double. Good job my daughter wasn't with me after all!

Cletus

Established Member
There's one of Travelodge's £12 sales starting 6.00am tomorrow for bookings covering the period of 1st January 2013 until 28th March 2013.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I've stayed in a great Hotel in Beijing several times and dispite being down a dark alley way, my room has always overlooked the throat of the main Beijing Station (the old one) and the remains of the City Walls.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wiseman2007/3589215705/in/set-72157621001762762

I can't remember the name of the Hotel, but thats it on the right next to the wall. I think it was built as a mining ministry hostel but is now a half decent and pretty cheap hotel.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I've just noticed Motel One are opening in Edinburgh next to Waverley station. Was really impressed by them in Germany..

Blindtraveler

Established Member
anybody know something iether hotel or B and B in Aberdeen that will take a weekend 1 night stay, is in the £50-£70 bracket and most importantly has grass at or within a minute or 2 as my partner plus guide dog are in need of one? Any help appreciated.

Butts

Veteran Member
anybody know something iether hotel or B and B in Aberdeen that will take a weekend 1 night stay, is in the £50-£70 bracket and most importantly has grass at or within a minute or 2 as my partner plus guide dog are in need of one? Any help appreciated.

Travelodge should be possible - up on Union Street. For that money at the weekend you should be able to get a Holiday Inn or other Chain Hotel - try late rooms or some other consolidator.

Established Member
In the mid to late 80's, I was on a bus trip taking in the depots and stabling points round South Wales and the South West, we stayed in a Hotel in Barry Island, when we checked in to say it was dated and basic would be a total understatement. The room was comfortable but the furnishings looked as if they'd been bought from Steptoe and son. My mate went to put his clothes in the wardrobe and the door came off in his hand and another lad, was having a wash and when he went to try and straighten the mirror and it slid down the wall, needless to say we got changed and made straight for Cardiff Central and bashed the 37/4's between Cardiff and Newport. certainly the grottiest Hotel I've ever stayed in my lifetime.

12CSVT

Established Member
Aston Court Hotel - right next to Derby Station (was very useful for last Sunday's BLS tour)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
A few from me:
Falkirk (East / Beancross) Travelodge - decent if you're only staying for a couple of nights and don't intend to be in that much. Just under 1.5 miles ex-Polmont station, up some country lanes and past a graveyard. Proved a useful base for getting to / from Bo'ness yesterday!

Jury's Inn Sheffield - 5-7 mins walk from Midland station, good rooms, certainly decent enough for an extended stay.

There's a load of others in my head that I'll submit as soon as I can remember - I've forgotten what chain they were... :s

Lrd

Established Member
Premier Inn, Stansted Airport, great hotel, McDonalds/Starbucks/Garage two mins walk away. Bus every 30 mins to the Airport/Rail Station for £3 single, about a 5/10 min journey.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Aye, it looked like it was set on the site of an old farm or similar, the restaurant next door looked like a converted barn, I doubt it's more than 5 years old. Should blend in well with the ski slope / brewery and various other brand new projects west of Grangemouth our taxi driver said was going on about last night!

Butts

Veteran Member
As I mentioned on another thread I am taking the Chieftan to and from Inverness with an overnight stay in November.

I got a Travelodge for £19 - the Premier Innns were all £70 plus and the cheapest B&B near £50.

Although I will have to get a bus or taxi to the Lodge the savings far outweigh this additional cost. I don't need breakfast as I'll get this on the Train as part of my package.

Fred26

One of the biggest surprises for me had to be the EasyHotel at London Heathrow. I booked to stay here when I was supposed to be flying into Heathrow before going on a trip by rail the next day (from Marylebone).

My flights didn't end up going ahead but I still stayed there - £25 a night so close to London seemed a fantastic price. Some negative reviews had me worried but I found it to be perfectly acceptable. I had my own bathroom, a clean double bed, Wi-Fi access (much cheaper than advertised) and air conditioning (in summer, very welcome). No window, though - but that's part of the low cost thing.

Hotel is near Heathrow Central, Hatton Cross and a short bus trip from Hayes and Harlington.

I've stayed in the Easy Hotel five minutes from the back of Victoria twice and in central Berlin once. Very cheap and cramped, but it's clean and it's a bed for the night. I'll be booking the EasyHotel in Budapest next year.

VTPreston_Tez

Travelodge Harrow, it's in tatters. I don't remember the cost but it was expensive. However, virtually on Kenton station and 2 minutes from Preston Road(?) station which was handy when the Bakerloo line went mental when I stay there. Hard to navigate though, and breakfast is substandard. If you can get it for £19 though it'd be worth it.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
think I maybe know the location he means but unsure. May have been closed during restructuring. seeing as theres a mod around does this thread justrfy being sticky? Sure is becoming an invaluable refference guide

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Can you provide more information about this Travelodge? Are you sure it exists?

Closest Travelodges I can see are the Wembley branch (stayed there before, 10 mins ex-Stonebridge Park) and the Northolt branch, next door to Northolt LUL station.

I suspect VTPreston_Tez means the Harrow branch of Premier Inn, which is indeed just to the east of Kenton station: http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/HARTRA/london-harrow.

richw

Veteran Member
I've stayed in it so yes, it exists. But...
http://www.ukhotel.com/london/kenton.html Top one, turns out it's a Premier Inn. Dammit, so close.

Remember premier inn will refund you if you don't sleep well and can evidence why you didn't sleep well. They refunded me when I didn't sleep well as room was too hot, took photo of room thermometer at 3am showing 34C and sent to them refund came within 48 hours. Another time people were noisy in next room recorded the noise and emailed them and had full refund in 72 hours that time.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2