• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Accommodation suggestions and reviews

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If Travelodge issued refunds due to noisy rooms, most of their bookings would result in refunds on Friday/Saturday nights. Some locations are much more likely to experience problems than others though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

All Line Rover

Established Member
In my experience Premier Inn do not require any 'evidence.' If you experience problems (e.g. noise being played outside, AC broken) they'll happily issue a refund within a week of sending a complaint.

Travelodge, on the other hand, are extremely stringy. Their standard compensation rate is 25%.

To address some earlier comments, I don't think any Travelodge has AC. Also, I'm not a fan of 'Tune Hotels' as I find their rooms claustrophobic. Travelodge are OK but rarely clean enough. Premier Inn are miles above the rest in terms of quality but it's often difficult to find cheap (sub £49), centrally located rooms. Not much of a 'budget' hotel. Especially in London, with average prices of £100 to £149!

Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
Travelodge, on the other hand, are extremely stringy. Their standard compensation amount is 25%

I was given a free night stay for a dirty and worn room at Travelodge Nottingham Riverside, after I sent a letter with photo evidence to Customer Service. Admittedly, this was three or four years ago.

.Also, I'm not a fan of 'Tune Hotels' as I find their rooms claustrophobic.

I've found them to be very good, the rooms are comparatively large compared to those at the easyHotel or the berths on a sleeper/ferry! ;)

richw

Veteran Member
Travelodge sent me a letter making excuses with no apology in the letter. The excuse was that the hotel manager was on annual leave which infuriated me further as you can imagine. They'd have been pleased to know I forwarded some of my pictures from my night in taunton's dirty hotel to their local environment health.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Butts

Veteran Member
In my experience Premier Inn do not require any 'evidence.' If you experience problems (e.g. noise being played outside, AC broken) they'll happily issue a refund within a week of sending a complaint.

Travelodge, on the other hand, are extremely stringy. Their standard compensation rate is 25%.

To address some earlier comments, I don't think any Travelodge has AC. Also, I'm not a fan of 'Tune Hotels' as I find their rooms claustrophobic. Travelodge are OK but rarely clean enough. Premier Inn are miles above the rest in terms of quality but it's often difficult to find cheap (sub £49), centrally located rooms. Not much of a 'budget' hotel. Especially in London, with average prices of £100 to £149!

Premier Inn (or Travel Inn as it used to be called) policy must have changed. The 100% satisfaction guarantee used to be based on the fact if you were not 100% satisfied with your stay they would refund the money there and then (ie when you were checking out)

I always used to get a "freebie" by asking for a Bath Sheet instead of a Bath Towel which they were unable to provide , hence leading to my disatisfaction and the stay being refunded on the spot. I had one problem with a receptionist, but I called HQ and they phoned the Travel Inn and told her to refund the money on the spot.

12CSVT

Established Member
One place I would advise you to avoid at all costs is the Crescent Hotel in Leeds (the only reason I stayed a night there was its close proximity to the Middleton railway). Big mistake, the whole place stunk of turps, no hot water in the shower, and looked like it hadn't been refurbished since the 1950s.

Probably best described as a cross between

this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01MbfP8qXzQ

and

this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru5nySHz8vY

Butts

Veteran Member
Inverness Travel Lodge is ok - only £1.55 each way on the bus.

Plus theres a huge 24 Hour Asda close by for snacks / cheap meals.

IanD

Established Member

Which travellodge and which bus? I'm planning avist next year and can't decide between the 2 on offer (though I may have no choice when the next sale comes up!).

Butts

Veteran Member
Which travellodge and which bus? I'm planning avist next year and can't decide between the 2 on offer (though I may have no choice when the next sale comes up!).

Castle Heather Travelodge Inverness IV2 6AA

If you come out of the Railway Station the Bus Stops are opposite Marks and Spencers - can't miss them.

I used Stagecoach 5C - if you go onto Traveline Scotland and put the details in it will come up with the services (Travelodge is a recognised destination)

If you don't fancy waiting it's only about £6 in a taxi.

IanD

Established Member
Castle Heather Travelodge Inverness IV2 6AA

If you come out of the Railway Station the Bus Stops are opposite Marks and Spencers - can't miss them.

I used Stagecoach 5C - if you go onto Traveline Scotland and put the details in it will come up with the services (Travelodge is a recognised destination)

If you don't fancy waiting it's only about £6 in a taxi.

That's great thanks.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
i have used this 5so - the better of the 2, and given I dont much like travelodge these days thats a recommendation. Also worth noting the other one is less well served by public transport.
HI Express inverness a good shout too if you get a deal.

Butts

Veteran Member
i have used this 5so - the better of the 2, and given I dont much like travelodge these days thats a recommendation. Also worth noting the other one is less well served by public transport.
HI Express inverness a good shout too if you get a deal.

I only booked it as it was £19 :p

Johnuk123

Established Member

I was in there 3 years ago and one of the cleaners had stolen from virtually every room and then run off.

Saying that I've been in loads of them and never had a security problem.

Just an unfortunate incident could happen anywhere.

Roverman

Ramada / Ramada Encore Crewe - very good VFM, and not too far from the station either. Bit like a posh Travelodge.

The 'Ramada' on Macon Way is now the Holiday Inn Express, I stayed in it last month as I was going on a tour of Bentley the next morning at 8.45 and did not fancy the rush hour commute up from Stafford! I had an excellent stay £46 inc breakfast is a bargain in my book!

The 'Ramada Encore' is a little further away by the University and is about £30 more a night.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
i can almost here the travelodge management team ringing up there insurance company to get a policy protecting them and the many rail UK members who stay in there establishments against bashing burglers after one and anothers prizewinning shots of, yet another class 66 :) :)

in all seriusness though I think its worth being barefull esp if like many round here you go out gricing with loads of laptops, cameras and phones

VTPreston_Tez

Remember premier inn will refund you if you don't sleep well and can evidence why you didn't sleep well. They refunded me when I didn't sleep well as room was too hot, took photo of room thermometer at 3am showing 34C and sent to them refund came within 48 hours. Another time people were noisy in next room recorded the noise and emailed them and had full refund in 72 hours that time.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Wish I knew that when I stayed in Glasgow, oh well lesson learnt

richw

Veteran Member
I recently stayed in Holiday Inn Portsmouth (PO1 2TA) although not for railway related, used it for my return from a cross channel ferry crossing.
The staff were friendly and great on my stay, the hotel decor and room we stayed in was very dated and in need of a refurbish. The room was massive and bed was comfortable.
Ignoring the desperate need for a refurb overall a good hotel, that would become excellent with a update.

richw

Veteran Member
Blindtraveller, I stayed in a Premier Inn in Havant around early 2012 that was one of the best premier inns I have experienced.

richw

Veteran Member
The Havant one is pretty much only accessible by car from what I seen of it, so certainly not good for public transport bashing however.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Currently staying at the Whin Park Guest House, Ardross Street Inverness
I have had a room there too, but while the location is excellent in so many ways, I much prefer the personality (and slightly better ambience) of MacDonald House, conveniently just a few doors further back towards the River (and town centre) at the end of Ardross Street.
It's also assuring that the owners of MacDonald House are very familiar with residents wanting to be out around 7:30 in order to catch the Chieftan departure, and will serve breakfast to suit.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
agreed its better however not on this occasion willing to take a 1 night booking on boxingday with only 48hrs notice! Take it you share my mistrust of the HST Fridges then dave? Otherwise you wouldnt be bothered about breakfast! :) :)

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
. . . . Take it you share my mistrust of the HST Fridges then dave? Otherwise you wouldnt be bothered about breakfast! :) :)
It's as much my enjoyment of a relaxed light breakfast before going out - followed an hour or more later by an EC breakfast, whose portions are not, reliably, adequate for the start of a full and long day (as discussed passim on the East Coast First Class service thread).

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Anyboddy used the almost new Travelodge in Fort William? I avoid TL Wherever possible but planning a trip round easter and the0PI is no good for my dates. I would hope, seeing as its fort William this TL woant take the punishment others do.

Established Member
Travelodge in Holyhead - close to the station, and next to a McDonalds and small Asda. Next to the road, so bit of noise.

Travelodge Cardiff Central - mixed it up with the other one which is helpfully named Cardiff Central/Queen Street.

Again right next to Central station, next door is a Wetherspoons and on one of the main roads in Cardiff. City Arms pub is about 10 minute walk away (good pint of Brains). Very noisy on the Saturday night, so might give the Queen Street one a try next time.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Anyboddy used the almost new Travelodge in Fort William? I avoid TL Wherever possible but planning a trip round easter and the0PI is no good for my dates. I would hope, seeing as its fort William this TL woant take the punishment others do.

I haven't, but I have stayed in the Alexandra Hotel in Fort William and I'd certainly recommend it ( the Alexandra ). It's only 5 minutes walk from the railway station as well.