• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Actress tips water over man sat in seat for not giving it up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Groningen

Established Member
Whilst she didn't have a right to demand the seat good manner suggest it should have been offered.

Real British humor! So with 100 seats in a train, 100 men, 100 women present; the men are standing and women are sitting.

bramling

Veteran Member
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...4.html?1455716135&ncid=tweetlnkushpmg00000067

Unless it was marked as a priority seat and she was 100% certain the younger man sat in has no form of disability or injury (which she wouldn't if she didn't know him) then I don't see how she thought she had any right to try and get him to move.

So by the looks of it, this woman
1) Picked the youth out when other seats were available
2) Felt she had an undeniable right to demand he move so she could sit down - a right she didn't have even if it was marked as a priority seat (which is probably wasn't)
3) When she didn't get her own way chose to assault the youth.
4) Not content with (3) the woman was so proud of her behaviour that she felt the need to boast about it to the wider world, including using expletives.

What an *utterly* disgusting unpleasant repulsive objectionable woman.

Plenty of evidence for a prosecution since she's chosen to publicise her actions, so as well as being a nasty piece of work she's evidently not the brightest bulb in the box either.

Last edited:

fowler9

Established Member
If she is in such poor physical health that she needs to carry water everywhere should she really have risked tipping it over someone? Ha ha.

In all seriousness she had no way of knowing the person didn't need the seat. Me personally I would have moved and let her sit down. Don't think she covered herself in glory.

savagethegoat

Sorry - don't agree.

It's first come first serve on a train and you don't know how long the young man in question was going to be on the train for.

Disgraceful behaviour by Margolyes. If she's that bothered about securing a seat perhaps she should book ahead and reserve one.

the seat was not on the train...it was a platform seat

pemma

Veteran Member
If she is in such poor physical health that she needs to carry water everywhere should she really have risked tipping it over someone? Ha ha.

I hope it was tap water she tipped over home and it resulted her needing to purchase an expensive bottle of water on the train.

Deepgreen

Established Member
Does that go for all the campaigning that they did for the Stephen Lawrence family? Was that shoddy journalism at best? Yes the Daily Mail is a Tory Party supporting paper but that doesn't make it a bad newspaper.

As I said, I have only occasionally read articles in the DM, and that was on what I based my opinion, rather than everything ever done by the paper. In any case, we're probably getting too far off-topic here now.

Last edited:

Desiro Boy

As someone who suffers from a hidden disability, I find this behaviour disgusting - there are a number of conditions which aren't visible and the effects can vary in severity.

Also, if she'd tipped that water over me, the after effects (being on a cold station hours from home) would have probably caused me to be bedridden for days after - I'd definately be taking action.

I've got to agree.She has no god given right to do this.

bramling

Veteran Member
I say the bloke was a knob, and full marks to Miriam Margolyes.

Whatever the rights or wrongs of the seat, it's **never** acceptable to assault someone because you didn't get your own way.

What makes her behavior *even* worse is she feels the need to boast about it.

Disgusting, and a disgusting example set to others.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Does that go for all the campaigning that they did for the Stephen Lawrence family? Was that shoddy journalism at best? Yes the Daily Mail is a Tory Party supporting paper but that doesn't make it a bad newspaper.

The Mail is a terrible paper - one decent and worthy campaign does not wash away the tide of crud they spout forth on a daily basis!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The Mail isn't bad because it's Tory - the Torygraph isn't a terrible paper but has that leaning. It's bad because it largely spouts misinformed drivel.

On occasions they do print some sense, but I'm with DarloRich in that it is mostly rubbish.

EssexGonzo

The Mail isn't bad because it's Tory - the Torygraph isn't a terrible paper but has that leaning. It's bad because it largely spouts misinformed drivel.

On occasions they do print some sense, but I'm with DarloRich in that it is mostly rubbish.

On top of which it claims to be a NEWSpaper with proper news in it whereas it's just a sensationalist piece of toilet paper trying to get indignant and easily influenced middle Britain to buy it.

Unlike the Sun, it's not honest about its agenda.

Phil.

Established Member
he story?
I call bulls**t.
Margoyles is an attention seeker, she always has been.

miami

Established Member
Does that go for all the campaigning that they did for the Stephen Lawrence family?

The entire industry admires Paul Dacre's stance there, but it's not as clear cut as it's made out. In May 1993 the mail ran a headline "How Race Militants Hijacked a Tragedy". There was very little coverage on the murder, and indeed it was attacking the campaign.

Observer said:
The initial Mail approach was to treat the ‘campaign’ with hostility. Mr Austin, who no longer works for the Mail, said yesterday: ‘I was detailed to write a story knocking the campaign.’

During the interview with the family, Mr Lawrence asked what would appear and made inquiries about the Mail editor. He asked if he was a tall, balding man with a house in Islington. It emerged he had worked for Mr Dacre some 10 years previously. Mr Austin advised the dead boy’s father to contact Mr Dacre directly. It is understood that there was a phone call to Mr Dacre at about this time.

‘The following day my instructions were suddenly changed,’ Mr Austin said. ‘I was told by the news desk to forget the previous instructions and that they now wanted a positive story.’ Mr Austin felt the original approach undermined the family’s case because it implied that their grievances were not to be taken seriously.

There are always angles to a story, and in todays compressed field, once somebody writes a story from a single angle, that story gets parroted, sometimes with attribution, sometimes not. It's cheaper to copy-and-paste a wire or press release then to actually do journalism.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
You shouldn't have to be asked.............

I am young (in my thirties) but I have severe reumatoid arthritis in my hip. I will probably need a hip replacement within 10 years. So I would quite probably not move as I would be in severe pain myself.

Groningen

Established Member
There is also color and colour; and whiskey and whisky. So this all happen not in the train, but in the waiting area of Edinburgh station. Maybe she should ask Harry to use the magic wand.

fowler9

Established Member
On a side note my mates mum went to school with Miriam Margolyes, not saying this makes her water spillage acceptable though. It is possibly less acceptable than the time I spilled red wine over my mates mums brand new white wool carpet. It didn't go down well, soon resolved with some salt and soda water though.

455driver

Veteran Member
Whilst she didn't have a right to demand the seat good manner suggest it should have been offered.
I thought it was equal rights these days?
Or are you suggesting that sone people are more 'equal' than others?

I hope that the person assaulted in this way overcomes the embarrassment and sues the arrogant old witch!

dakta

Been asked saves me the embarrassment of coming across patronising. My cousin would be offended at someone assuming she is not capable and desperate for a seat.

I have an relative who is quite severely disabled and I really have to be careful about how I offer help, whilst neither of us are mean people, there's some levels of independence that I'm learnt can be a bit offensive if you encroach this, even if you think you're doing good by offering help. And that can include the times you are actually doing good. I've had many a cutting response when trying to be of assistance!

Which can be a bit confusing, unless you switch roles mentally and having people work around you, for you, even if you undeniably need it can be a bit crappy, especially if you're a nice person and feel bad for those helping you!

You can't be too cross about these things...lot of misery for everyone and noones really in the wrong. Carers can often need some care themselves

Anyway.... I get a lot of discomfort if I stand too long (I have twisted feet), I'm not disabled and can walk/run for long distances but standing does get to me after a period- if there's a seat going and I've a long time to wait i'll take it. If someone looked like they needed it I wouldn't mind giving it up. If they don't look like they need it then I'd probably wait to be asked. If asked, my response would largely be based on the 'attitude test'.

You can't really draw a solid conclusion from articles like this which are no doubt somewhat biased, but taking it at face value the younh chap really should have considered giving up his seat (which could have happened) but the actress is, in my opinion, more in the wrong for not respecting the response and escalating matters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.