• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Actress tips water over man sat in seat for not giving it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrewlong

Does that go for all the campaigning that they did for the Stephen Lawrence family? Was that shoddy journalism at best? Yes the Daily Mail is a Tory Party supporting paper but that doesn't make it a bad newspaper.

They pay Katie Hopkins to write bile for them - that makes it a really bad rag in many people's eyes!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Senex

Established Member
You can't really draw a solid conclusion from articles like this which are no doubt somewhat biased, but taking it at face value the younh chap really should have considered giving up his seat ...
Why should he have given his seat up for her when there were apparently seats free further along the platform that she could have used?

Like 455driver, I thought it was "equal rights" today -- or is it something approximating to equal rights for the common herd but very special rights for so-called celebrities?

DerekC

Established Member
Why should he have given his seat up for her when there were apparently seats free further along the platform that she could have used?

Like 455driver, I thought it was "equal rights" today -- or is it something approximating to equal rights for the common herd but very special rights for so-called celebrities?

Not sure about equal rights. Giving up your seat for someone less mobile and in difficulty is politeness, but lack of it doesn't excuse tipping water over somebody else. And using it to get publicity (doesn't matter in which newspaper) is just crass. I now look old enough for people to offer their seats to - it has happened three times so far - each time on a London Bus. I observe that every time the person offering was young, female and black. On the Underground I am regularly "beaten to a seat" - usually by middle aged white males. I have no idea what conclusions to draw from that. I don't go around with a bottle of water handy, though!

contrex

I based my answer on the fact that Miriam Margolyes is a fine actor and supports a lot of causes that I do, whereas the geezer on a seat is just some knob that I've never heard of. I don't have any rational reason, but hey! Sue me!

bramling

Veteran Member
I based my answer on the fact that Miriam Margolyes is a fine actor and supports a lot of causes that I do, whereas the geezer on a seat is just some knob that I've never heard of. I don't have any rational reason, but hey! Sue me!

Perhaps given she has demonstrated terrible attitude in every other element of this incident, maybe the reason she didn't get what she wanted initially was because she demonstrated the same terrible attitude during her initial request for the seat? Just a thought.

To his credit, it seems the youth demonstrated restraint in not retaliating after she assaulted him. Hardly the attributes of a 'knob'.

The worst bit of the incident, and the bit which for me tells me most about the woman, is her choosing to brag about it afterwards. I'm sure most people would feel even a little bit of guilt after assaulting someone over something as trivial as a seat, even if they were angry and made a misjudgement in the heat of the moment. This unpleasant woman seems proud of her actions and felt the need to boast to a wider audience, "look at me I didn't get what I wanted so I assaulted someone".

There's not even one word in the initial article that suggests the woman, at any stage, gave even an ounce of thought to anyone else's potential needs other than her own. "Me me me", from start to finish.

The only good thing about the incident is the knowledge that such an unpleasant woman lives her life in pain, and I know I definitely won't be offering a seat to her should I ever have the misfortune of sharing a station platform with her.

Last edited:

cjmillsnun

Established Member
She is in acting since 1965; i would not consider her poor.

Has she been in continuous employment? Many actors/actresses are out of work for long periods. That said, She would've earned a metric craptonne from Harry Potter

bramling

Veteran Member
She is in acting since 1965; i would not consider her poor.

Maybe that's part of the problem. Used to getting own way, but when placed in an environment where any perceived status over anyone else doesn't exist she couldn't handle it when she didn't get what she wanted, hence her obnoxious and unwarranted action.

Not uncommon behaviour on the railway though, quite often see toys thrown out of the pram because a train is taken out of service or something else doesn't quite go to plan.

chris89

Established Member

Just strange to me that. But then it's your own opinion.

Just hope nothing like that happens to you then, How do you know the young male doesn't support the same causes etc as well?

Being a Actor/ Actress, does not give you a free pass to be a rude and demanding person.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Perhaps given she has demonstrated terrible attitude in every other element of this incident, maybe the reason she didn't get what she wanted initially was because she demonstrated the same terrible attitude during her initial request for the seat? Just a thought.

To his credit, it seems the youth demonstrated restraint in not retaliating after she assaulted him. Hardly the attributes of a 'knob'.

A well thought through post, if I may say so.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Maybe that's part of the problem. Used to getting own way, but when placed in an environment where any perceived status over anyone else doesn't exist she couldn't handle it when she didn't get what she wanted, hence her obnoxious and unwarranted action.

Acting really does attract some extremes of character.

EDIT: (Or perhaps they develop this way over time in the profession. Difficult to know.)

In my misspent youth I worked on three, maybe four, feature film sets as an extra. On each and every one I had a direct experience with people whose egos just had to be experienced to be believed. A truly jaw-dropping need to be the centre of attention - and typically to demonstrate it by rubbing someone's face in the dirt. (on one occasion it was mine - or at least the 'star' guy tried)

Fortunately, then there were perfectly 'normal' types too. One such was Peter Jeffrey, who (I later discovered) was pretty well known in the UK as an actor. He stands out in my (rather limited) experience for his ability to remain unaffected by any allusions to 'star' status.

Last edited:

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
Has she been in continuous employment? Many actors/actresses are out of work for long periods. That said, She would've earned a metric craptonne from Harry Potter

Not really - she was only in a few scenes through the series and Professor Sprout merchandise is somewhat thin on the ground.

theironroad

Established Member
Why did the police not act? I would have thought tipping water over someone in this way is assault against a person.

al78

Established Member
Why did the police not act? I would have thought tipping water over someone in this way is assault against a person.

Possibly because there is no death or injury. If the man had retaliated by giving her a good slap I'm sure they would have been there right away.

I have heard of drivers get away with deliberately driving into cyclists out of anger, so I can see why throwing water over someone would lack interest.

bramling

Veteran Member
Possibly because there is no death or injury. If the man had retaliated by giving her a good slap I'm sure they would have been there right away.

I have heard of drivers get away with deliberately driving into cyclists out of anger, so I can see why throwing water over someone would lack interest.

Or because the victim didn't want to pursue it. Perhaps he just wanted to make his journey without hassle, which would have happened had the woman not turned up.

furnessvale

Established Member

It would be classified as a common assault which police do not normally pursue instead the Victim is advised to see a solicitor.

dakta

The key word is 'considered', and yes a young person (or any person really) should. Sometimes they might decide it not necessary, in any case they've still done the decent thing.

Being decent and giving a thought (even if it stops there) isn't always an excruciating process. I even recognised that this may have been given, so i've no idea where you're coming from.

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member
The key word is 'considered', and yes a young person (or any person really) should. Sometimes they might decide it not necessary, in any case they've still done the decent thing.

Being decent and giving a thought (even if it stops there) isn't always an excruciating process. I even recognised that this may have been given, so i've no idea where you're coming from.

Based on how the rest of the initial article reads, it seems highly likely the initial interaction went along the lines of "Move I want to sit here".

Certainly *nothing* in the way she presents herself suggests she's the sort of person one would feel a desire to help. The youth evidently made the correct character judgement.

Last edited:

Camden

Established Member
Oh I find this all very hard to believe.

A national treasure would hardly go around trying to force people to give up their seat, and then tipping a bottle of water over their head when they refuse, just because they could get away with it, surely?

bramling

Veteran Member
Oh I find this all very hard to believe.

A national treasure would hardly go around trying to force people to give up their seat, and then tipping a bottle of water over their head when they refuse, just because they could get away with it, surely?

Whyever not? Just because someone is a "national treasure" (whatever that is) doesn't mean they don't have anger-management issues.

I'm sure she didn't initially set out for events to happen like that. She presumably expected the youth to do what she wanted. Her temper then escalated when she didn't get what she wanted, leading to the assault.

One can, just about, understand the above - a misjudgement in the heat of the moment. From that point most people would have been mortified at their behaviour, and at best would be looking to right the situation, at worst forget about it. By contrast, this particular individual chose to publicise her behaviour, telling everyone about what she had done. No excuse or justification for that.

I'm not sure what's worse, that she did it in the first place, or that in hindsight she seems proud of it.

Last edited:

dakta

Based on how the rest of the initial article reads, it seems highly likely the initial interaction went along the lines of "Move I want to sit here".

Certainly *nothing* in the way she presents herself suggests she's the sort of person one would feel a desire to help. The youth evidently made the correct character judgement.

FWIW I think you're probably right.

If someone was waiting for a train or any other similar situation and looked a bit frail my first thought would be 'should I offer them my seat/offer assistance' depending on the situation and whether the situation demanded it.

Even if you're approached to give up your seat, there's still a whole host of different ways the person asking you can go about it, and it's probably the way this is done which decides in a lot of cases how succesful the person asking is going to be.

randyrippley

Established Member
there was another seat available
why didn't she just take that? Sounds to me like she was suffering from too much self-reverential luvvie syndrome

Phil.

Established Member

Ms. Margoyles is an actress not an actor.

Status
Not open for further replies.