• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adrock's trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
A very busy day out there, full of much productivity!

43006 would definitely not be on Landore, as it was renumbered 43206 some years back (late 2007 I think!) and still is an East Coast machine. Possible you saw 43005, very easy to mistake the two numbers.

Many thanks for pointing out the error. I am in agreement with you that it was 43005 after all, through process of elimination. I knew that it had 2 zeros, and did not end with 1, 2, 7, 8, or 9.

In peace

Adam
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Part III: Ninian Park diversion and homeward bound

It was an early checkout for me, then a gentle saunter into the city centre. After a brief wander around, it was to Central station for me to do the Ninian Park diversion before heading back home. I made my way to Platform 4 (6 and 7 were out of use today, with the Valley Lines network running in 2 sections) for the 10:15 Barry Island via Ninian Park service, formed of 143606. On passing the south side of Canton depot crawling along, there were several units there, of the numbers I did get were143601 and 602 coupled together, 143607 and 614 coupled together, 143623 and 085 coupled together, with 143616, 143083, 143069, and 143622 all by themselves. I also spotted 170108 which would obviously work the Cardiff Central – Nottingham via Birmingham service later on, and other units where the numbers were obscured or too far away to see.

At Ninian Park station, where the train would join the southern section of the Taff Vale Railway, the driver walked through to change ends. It was then onwards to Grangetown via the track that does not normally see regular passenger services, where there was a wait of a few minutes so as the train would then regain its normal timings southwards. As I had also decided to crank out the units that were venturing into South Glamorgan today, I had it in my plans to alight at Dinas Powys station, as it sounded a sexy placename. The reality turned out to be somewhat different, as I went for a wander round the vicinity of the station, I noticed on the ground at the bottom of the platform stairs was an opened wallet/purse with its contents scattered nearby. I gathered up the loose coins along with the employees ID card and bank card. I had noticed there was both portions of a day return ticket dated 2 days ago on the Friday. I kept said items on me until I saw a member of railway staff, most likely to be on the next train I was intending to get.

It was then on the 10:53 Bridgend via Rhoose service, which was formed by 150279. I handed in the wallet/purse to the guard/conductor, and continued my journey to Barry (Town). Fifteen minutes later, it was then on the 11:19 for the short trip round the corner to Barry Island, formed of 150267. After a quick wander to the beach, it was back to the station for the 11:55 back to Cardiff Central directly and avoiding Ninian Park, which was formed by 143624. On the approach to Cardiff Central, I had spotted 66012 with wagons of ballast, and when I crossed platforms, I had spotted 57305 “Northern Princess” at the London end hauling the “Northern Belle” coaching stock.

The 12:35 Manchester service arrived soon after, formed by 175002. It seemed quite a busy service on both arrival into and departure at Cardiff Central. I had managed to grab a table seat eventually. There were several passengers who were travelling with luggage, with suitcases placed on one of the tables opposite me as the luggage storage area was full. My view is that these trains are not really suited for this route. Perhaps the Welsh Government could maybe specify proper Intercity rolling stock for the Manchester services in the future? On departure from Cardiff, I had spotted 66757 GBF at the London end, while additionally spotting 66076 at Alexandra Dock in Newport. The remainder of this leg of the journey to Crewe was uneventful, apart from spotting 170xx2 in Platform 1 at Hereford having not long arrived off a Birmingham New Street via Bromsgrove service. Also, the train began to empty out at Hereford and Shrewsbury too, with what seemed like a similar number of passengers boarding at Shrewsbury as had alighted. On the approach to Crewe, I had spotted 47828, 57008, and 47501 at Gresty Bridge.

As I had a 45-50 minute break at Crewe for my connecting service, I took the chance to have a wander along Nantwich Road, while having a not normal view for me of Gresty Road stadium – the home of Crewe Alexandra FC. Eventually, I made my way back to the station, where it was displayed on the screen that the 16:09 Glasgow Central service was delayed by 5 minutes. It was then announced and updated to being 12 minutes late, then 15. Eventually, it did arrive, and departed 17-20 minutes behind schedule, formed by 390137 “Virgin Difference” - an ironic name given how it was running today. On the approach to Warrington Bank Quay, I had spotted 57309 in the London bay platform, with 66118 passing through southbound. Further time was lost between Wigan North Western and Preston, eventually arriving into Glasgow Central at 19:42, 28 minutes behind schedule. As my ticket was booked from Preston to Charing Cross Glasgow, this meant that my 19:54 departure from Glasgow Queen Street was broken as it was less than the 30 minute official interchange time, with the next westbound service being due 30 minutes later at 20:24. This meant that I would be submitting a claim to VT as it was that leg of the journey that was delayed.

Conclusion

My weekend bashing in this part of Wales was worthwhile indeed, and once again, I would like to give my thanks to one of the Fares Advisors and Challenge Organisers (if such a title exists!) to bb21 who posted the Ninian Park diversion towards the end of last year. My previous venture to Wales (apart from Newport back in October when I failed to get the Pilning station call due to a late running connection from Bristol Parkway) was in 1984 when I went to Rhyl, and 1989 when I went to Llandudno on a direct train from Birmingham New Street, with the train to Llandudno being a 3 car slam door DMU. I also passed through the north-east corner of Clwyd in 1989/90 when on a day out to Chester, which the service was a Sprinter from Birmingham New Street that ran via Shrewsbury and Wrexham General.

Back in the summer of last year, I made a rough draft of the train times in Wales, based on the 7 day rover, and building it around the PSUL moves and some other awkward services, notably the Central Wales Railway/Heart of Wales Line, Blaneu Ffestiniog route, and either the first or last service of the day to or from Wrexham General to Chester. As I was already in the Cardiff area for the diversion, I had decided that while I was there, I might as well make a weekend of it by bashing some lines and getting the PSUL moves in too. I had further decided that due to the limited service along the Central Wales Railway/Heart of Wales Line, I might as well travel that route on my way to Cardiff, so as to get it done out of the way. I would also attempt to fit in the Pilning station call too, which I managed to achieve before starting the main bash on the Saturday.

As mentioned previously, I will be back in South Wales to do the Valley Lines network, and will fit in the Swansea District Railway route in daylight hours. If I feel like I'm needing a dose of masochism, I may attempt the Leckwith Junction PSUL on the 03:52 Swansea – London Paddington service, in both directions too. Furthermore, this leaves me to concentrate on Shrewsbury – Aberystwyth – Pwlhelli – Portmadoc – Blanaeu Ffestiniog – Llandudno Junction – Holyhead – Bidston – Wrexham Central – Chester circular route.

The End

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounds like a busy weekend. I will probably attempt the 03:52 HST at some point, probably when the weather gets a bit better. :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Notes to update:

170xx2 at Hereford would have been on p1 if on the far side of the station, your train using p3. It also would have been 170502 if 2-car or 170632 if 3-car.

57109 doesn't exist, so 57309.

Correct that 175s aren't overly suitable for the North and West, but they do OK most of the time. 175/1s manage better with 3 coaches admittedly, but it'll be a long time before we get better stock on my local route!

You ain't missing owt scenery wise on the Swansea District line! I've done Leckwith more times than I care to count personally, but the 0400 (then it was 0358, now 0352!) HST off Swansea is an experience lol.

Glad you enjoyed your time on my old stomping ground :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've heard there will be some 442s going spare which could be pulled by 67s for Wales ;)

Or maybe some 220s in a few years ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Keep your infernal 442s well away from ATW, we have good quality trains right now, we don't want that trash from the Southern Region with us!

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
150275 quoted on 9th March to Bridgend is a Northern Unit. Mistaken identity or slip of the finger perhaps.

adrock1976

Established Member
Notes to update:

170xx2 at Hereford would have been on p1 if on the far side of the station, your train using p3. It also would have been 170502 if 2-car or 170632 if 3-car.

57109 doesn't exist, so 57309.

Correct that 175s aren't overly suitable for the North and West, but they do OK most of the time. 175/1s manage better with 3 coaches admittedly, but it'll be a long time before we get better stock on my local route!

You ain't missing owt scenery wise on the Swansea District line! I've done Leckwith more times than I care to count personally, but the 0400 (then it was 0358, now 0352!) HST off Swansea is an experience lol.

Glad you enjoyed your time on my old stomping ground :)

150275 quoted on 9th March to Bridgend is a Northern Unit. Mistaken identity or slip of the finger perhaps.

I have fixed the errors in the report, which is highlighted in red.

The Bridgend via Rhoose service was actually 150279. I had the last digit wrong here :) (Many thanks to Kite159's report, I managed to work out that it was 150279. I already had 150275 back in November on Blackburn - Clitheroe leg of the first part of the Lancashire Day Ranger bash centred on Preston).

My present rail adventure is not very exciting as I'm using the Central Scotland Rover with the priority to crank out as many 170s as possible between Edinburgh Waverley and Haymarket. My priority 170s I require are 170418 and 170420 (2 of the potential "Nicked Nine" off lease units to Southern).

In peace

Adam

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Cranking on 334s as well while the opportunity's there, or 380s to North Berwick?

I also wish you luck with chasing your 170s, I love the Central Scotland Rover and really want to do another one. At the moment the problem is not being unable to afford such a trip, but getting the opportunity to do it!

adrock1976

Established Member
I only need 4 x 334s as I got most of them last summer on my twice - weekly commute to Partick. The required 334s are 334008, 334010, 334016, and 334035.

The remaining 380 I require that is a 4 car is 380105. The remaining 3 car sets I can get between Glasgow Central and Paisley Gilmour Street, or maybe on a Lanark service (I saw 380015 working the 11:50 departure to Lanark last Wednesday).

My main priority at the moment is the 170s and 158s, with everything else being a bonus, as I can get 156s, 380s, and the 2 remaining 314s (314203 + 209) and 2 remaining 320s (320321 + 322) at the Glasgow end.

I cleared the 318s by landing 318264 last Monday when I had to nip into the city centre for something.

In peace

Adam

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fair games, but if those 334s and 380s were to turn up you wouldn't turn them down (unless it meant missing something going the other way etc) though? Say 380105 could be done on a Haymarket leap before a winner 158 to somewhere, for example?

Well done on clearing your 318s, I hope to do just that when I get up there for a Roundabout bash in the coming months. Think it's 318254 I need, still at Doncaster yet I believe.

Is 314213 back out in service now? Last time I was up there it was OOS for ages, and was really annoying not being able to get my last one of the class. Again, something to aim for when I do a Roundabout bash.

adrock1976

Established Member
Westbury PSUL & London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway Daysave

Westbury PSUL Thursday 19th March

It was an early rise for me as I was booked in First Class on the 06:50 Glasgow Central – London Kings Cross service, which was formed of locomotive 91120 and DVT 82207. This is an odd service these days compared to before the Eureka timetable, due to it being the only direct service from GLC to KGX. On a side note, this is one of the two London services to Scotland that uses both Caledonian Railway metals and Great Northern Railway metals – the other service being the “Highland Chieftan” that runs to Inverness. I had spotted 350410 in the adjacent platform at GLC forming the 07:10 Manchester Airport service.

As I only had a quick half mug of tea before I set off, I was not properly awake to make any further observations until after departure from Edinburgh Waverley, as I need at least 2 or 3 cups of tea to get me going. I was served a vegetarian breakfast between GLC – EDB, with no other breakfast options for me during the remainder of the journey. At Alnmouth for Alnwick (the only other stations on the BR/NR network I can think of that has “x for y” in its name is Gobowen for Oswestry, and Sankey for Penketh), I had spotted GBF 67636 “Wolverhampton Wanderers”. At Newcastle Central, DB loco 67003 was spotted, at Darlington 142087 was in the London bay platform, while 91132 was hauling a northbound Intercity service to either NCL or EDB.

At York, 66419 was hauling coal wagons northbound, loco 91114 and DVT 82204 was hauling a northbound service, locos 66001 DRS “Evolution” and 66433 were at the south end of the station, while 221140 was working a northbound XC service (10:30 approx). At Doncaster, 67775 was spotted, while at Peterborough, 66474 and 37609 was seen on the maintenance train, with the EMT IC 125 set heading in the northbound direction. Arrival into Kings Cross was more or less on schedule at 12:43, a near 6 hour epic journey.

It was then via the London Underground Metropolitan/Hammersmith & City Railway to Shepherd's Bush to check in and to dump my gear, which would be my digs for the next few nights, and also the setting for the comedy series Steptoe and Son. It was then back to the tube station to head to Paddington, where before I would do the PSUL move, it was my intention to crank out a couple of IC 125s. The 15:22 Oxford departure beckoned me, which was formed of 43139 “Driver Stan Martin 15 June 1950 - 6 Nov 2004” and 43155 “The Red Arrows: 50 Seasons of Excellence”. It was a dash across the platform at Reading for the 15:52 to PAD, formed of 43196 and 43088 (which I was to see again later on at Newbury). It was then on to the 16:30 Taunton via Bristol TM service, formed of 43183 and 43143 “Stroud 700”. While cranking between PAD – RDG, I spotted 66572 hauling containers at Langley, Colas Rail 73907 at Slough, 66040 and 66134 at Acton.

At Reading, it was over to Platform 1 for the 17:12 local all stations service to Newbury, formed of 165118. In the adjacent platform, I spotted 150001 working the local shuttle to Basingstoke. Now then, if my brain was functioning as intended today, I could have cranked out 150001 to Reading West, and picked up the Newbury local there. It will have to wait another time instead, as my mind was more focused on the PSUL move, which was looming soon. Also spotted in Platform 3 was 221121 with the Manchester XC service.

At Newbury, it was a 20 minute wait for my 18:05 Bristol TM service – the PSUL that runs via the curve between Pewsey and Trowbridge, avoiding Westbury, formed of 43124 and 43195. Before the BRI service arrived, the PAD – Penzance service was formed of 43088 and 43196, which I landed earlier on while cranking. I alighted at Trowbridge, and took a walk over the road to ASDA to get something to eat, as darkness had begun to fall, I was feeling a bit peckish, and so had a 35 minute break here.

After the break at Trowbridge, it was on to the 19:38 Cheltenham Spa via Melksham service as far as Chippenham for me, which was formed of 150233. At Chippenham, I had a brief wander around the vicinity of the station, and noticed a pong of horse manure or dog mess in the air. Back to the platform where I spotted 43036 and 43134 working the 20:19 service to BRI, before the 20:29 service to Westbury via Melksham arrived, formed of 153372. On arrival at Trowbridge, I noticed on the screen that the Weymouth and/or Portsmouth service was 5 minutes behind the train I was on, and was thinking whether to crank out the one behind. I had decided against it as I had a 5 minute connection at Westbury from the train I was on, therefore by my calculations, it would have been very risky making a zero minute connection assuming it was running on time.

At Westbury, it was on to the 21:05 PAD service, formed of 43170 and 43026. This is one of the very small number of services that calls at Pewsey, and can be a very awkward station call to get in. It should be noted that I have now called at all stations between Reading and Westbury, and additionally have completed all three sides of the triangle around Westbury. Also, I have now made it a lot easier for myself when I intend to do the Severn & Solent Rover, as I no longer have to deviate off-route to fit that section in, and can concentrate on cranking, a nip across to the Isle of Wight, or have an earlier finish instead. Finally for today, it was all the way to London Paddington, pick up a cup of tea, and head back to Shepherd's Bush via the Metropolitan/H &C.

Stay tuned for the LB&SCR bash on Friday 20th March.

In peace

Adam

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Pokesdown for Boscombe ;)

43xxx "The Red"... could be "The Red Arrows - 50 seasons of excellence".

Sounds like a good day around Westbury with some HST action :)

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
[ At Alnmouth for Alnwick (the only other stations on the BR/NR network I can think of that has “x for y” in its name is Gobowen for Oswestry, and Sankey for Penketh), I had spotted GBF 67636 “Wolverhampton Wanderers”....

Two for definite are Newton for Hyde and Ashchurch for Tewkesbury. Ravenglass for Eskdale and Leuchars for St Andrews are hit and miss, the singular and 'for' variations are seemingly used interchangeably, as are Alnmouth and Gobowen.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah yes, Westbury East Curve, I remember first covering that behind 57602 on the Up Night Riviera in summer 2004 (I think it was June, not sure)! :D Hard to believe it was almost 11 years ago :shock: Very good memories of the Pullman dining service on the way home to Taunton too, excuse me while I spend a while on Nostalgia Avenue!

*Returns to 2015*

Ahem! Looks like it was an exceptionally good day, glad to see you enjoyed the trip down to my former stomping ground! Looking forward to seeing what you got up to on the Southern!

EDIT: As for station names, there is technically Port Talbot Parkway for Aberavon, although the second part is never mentioned in announcements etc.

adrock1976

Established Member
Second part below.

London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway Southern Daysave Friday 20th March

After an early rise, it was a walk along Uxbridge Road to Shepherd's Bush tube station, where I would make my way to London Bridge via Baker Street. Then before I did anything else, I collected my Daysave from the machine before boarding the 08:18 Tonbridge and Reigate service to Redhill, which was formed of a triple 377317, 377304, and 377148. As I had missed my intended 08:02 Horsham service (calls at Faygate), I had it in my mind that a later departing service overtakes my intended service before Redhill. Upon arrival at Redhill, the triple set divided into 2 portions, and I took the opportunity to check the timetable boards. It had transpired that it was the service from Victoria that overtakes the 08:02, and that it would actually be Three Bridges where the 08:02 Horsham would be behind.

Anyway, my next intended service that I would have picked up at Horsham, the 09:36 to Southampton Central, was due to depart Redhill at 09:04. Sadly, an announcement came that this had been cancelled due to train crew shortage. So it was a longer wait for the next Horsham service at 09:12, which was another triple set formed of 377439, 377124, and 377110. While I was glancing at the timetable posters at Redhill, I noticed that there are a lack of direct trains to Brighton which is surprising, as it is the LB&SCR. I had also picked up a couple of timetable booklets at Redhill, so as to determine whether I could get back on to my intended itinerary, which was possible to do so.

On passing through the south side of Gatwick Airport on my way to Horsham, locomotive 66088 was spotted. At Horsham, it was on the 10:00 Portsmouth Harbour service to Barnham (front 4 cars, as the rear portion divides at Horsham for Bognor Regis), which was formed of 377427. While at Barnham, I made use of the platform cafe and purchased an Earl Grey tea and cereal bar. I had decided to forgo the Bognor Regis branch as I would be back on schedule for the 10:42 Portsmouth Harbour service to Havant, which was formed of 313213. I had spotted that the Brighton service at 11:12 was formed by 377132, which I passed the chance to ride. Instead, it was then on the 11:16 Littlehampton service that I would be taking all the way there, which was formed of 313207. It should be noted that the guard/conductor seemed a bit puzzled when he saw my Daysave – I had explained that it can only be purchased online and collected from a machine at a station.

After a pause at Littlehampton, I had spotted 377118 in Platform 3 that was not going anywhere soon. For me though, it was on the 12:15 London Victoria service as far as West Worthing, formed of 377315. A couple of minutes later, it was on the 12:39 all stations service to Brighton, which was formed of 313204. This had started to get busy at Portslade for the short hop in to Brighton. In the adjacent platform, it was immediately on the Hove shuttle service, of which 313206 was providing the duties for, and for me, also a lunch break at Hove.

It was then on to the 13:51 London Victoria service as far as Gatwick Airport, formed of 377137, where it would join up with 377115 from Hastings at Haywards Heath. After a gentle saunter around the station, it was then on the 14:41 Brighton service, formed of 377517. On the approach to BTN, at the depot, shunter 09026 “Cedric Wares” and GatEx 442417 were spotted, also another 442 whose number was obscured when passing. It was then on to the 15:40 Brighton – Seaford service, formed of 313214, while remaining on the same unit back to Lewes. On the way to Seaford, I passed 313215 after Falmer, and 313219 at Lewes in the opposite direction towards Brighton.

Meanwhile, while waiting at Lewes, it was that time where I had to answer the call of nature, and had sufficient time to do so. It was on the 17:09 service to Ore as far as Hastings for me, (calling at Glynde and Pevensey Bay) formed of 377425. In the other direction towards Brighton, 171730 was spotted while at Lewes. At Eastbourne, 171722 was spotted in the opposite platform with a Brighton service. On the approach to Hastings, the hilly geography and steep hills were plain to see, and is what I remembered when I went there on a holiday back in the summer of 1988. At Hastings, it was starting to become dusk before I got the 18:26 Brighton service as far as Hampden Park, formed of 377453, and on to the 19:05 London Victoria service as far as Gatwick Airport (calling at Cooksbridge), formed of a double set of 377413 and 377416. This would couple up with 377102 at Haywards Heath.

As it was my intention to abandon the Redhill – Tonbridge route and save it for when I do East Grinstead and Uckfield due to the long layover at Tonbridge, I decided to see what was heading to London Bridge. On the opposite southbound platform at Gatwick Airport, I noticed that the 20:00 to Horsham was slightly delayed, and that Faygate had scrolled along the screen of calling points. I decided to hop on that service so as to get the Faygate station call in as it is not an easy one to do. This was formed of a double set of 377154 and 377406, which I would take as far as Littlehaven before picking up the same units for the journey back to London Bridge, where I would finish with an Earl Grey tea before heading back to Shepherd's Bush via Jubilee and Central Line. I was happy with what I achieved despite not getting off to a good start as intended and working out a rescue mission.

Saturday 21st and Sunday 22nd March – Meetings and homeward bound

On Saturday, my meeting venue was in the vicinity of Nags Head junction along Holloway Road. I made my way there via Hammersmith & City, the walking interchange between Wood Lane & White City for Central Line, then Piccadilly Line from Holborn to Holloway Road. After my meeting and socialising, it was a walk to Highbury & Islington for Victoria Line to Euston, then Northern Line to Edgware, back down to Kennington, round the loop to Leicester Square for a Piccadilly Line service to Heathrow T4 & 123. There was a 7 or 8 minute wait at T4 before continuing to T123 and back to Hatton Cross, where I crossed to the opposite platform for a T5 service. I have now completed both the Piccadilly and Northern Line, of which can be added to my list, and only require Metropolitan Railway from Chalfont & Latimer to Amersham/Aylesbury Vale Parkway, the Rickmansworth curve from Watford, and the inner pair of tracks north of Baker Street to Stanmore. It was back to Shepherd's Bush via both Hammersmith stations.

Sunday, after checking out, I made my way to Highbury and Islington via Shepherd's Bush Overground, where I got the 10:13 service to Willesden Junction, formed of 378223. It had transpired that there were no Primrose Hill diversions today to get around the Camden Road – Willesden Junction engineering works, so it was on Bakerloo Line to Oxford Circus, where I would transfer to Victoria Line to take me to Highbury & Islington. After my meeting and after some lunch, it was on a bus from Nags Head to Kings Cross.

At Kings Cross, it was to Platform Zero for the 16:00 Edinburgh Waverley service in First Class, which was formed of loco 91108 and DVT 82214. In Platform 1, loco 91120 and DVT 82207 (which I travelled from Glasgow Central 3 days before) formed the 16:05 service to Leeds. As I was doing some work, some of the few observations I noticed were that I spotted 67021 at Hornsey, 60015 at Doncaster, 66850 and 67003 at the western side of Newcastle Central. With an early arrival at EDB, it was on the 20:30 to Glasgow Queen Street, which was formed of duds 170402 and 170408 (having cranked those recently).

In peace

Adam
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Pokesdown for Boscombe ;)

43xxx "The Red"... could be "The Red Arrows - 50 seasons of excellence".

Sounds like a good day around Westbury with some HST action :)

You're right regarding the name.

The power car was 43155.

In peace

Adam

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A very busy time there, I take it the stations between Eastbourne and Hastings don't get many services calling then. Could be interesting to get them in the book then...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
A very busy time there, I take it the stations between Eastbourne and Hastings don't get many services calling then. Could be interesting to get them in the book then...

Nope, the only one without at least an hourly Monday-Saturday service is Pevensey Bay.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Ah good, should still take several hours to get the lot in by the looks of it. Good thing I'm planning to do two DaySave trips in a row isn't it then this year!

adrock1976

Established Member
I had planned the Merseyrail Electrics bash at the end of last year in draft form, mainly focusing on the Wirral Lines and the section from Liverpool to Hunts Cross (I have already covered the track northbound to Southport in 1989/90, and most recently when I did part 2 of the Lancashire Day Rover back in February. With some subsequent revisions, I decided to combine all four elements of bashing – for me, that is 1) track, 2) station calls, 3) alighting and boarding at intermediate stations (attack/scratching) and 4) cranking.

After an early rise and a bus ride to Glasgow Central, it was to Platform 4 for the 05:50 London Euston via Birmingham service, which was formed by 221107 “Sir Martin Frobisher”. On passing Kingsmoor, I spotted 66192 and 66129 parked in the sidings, plus some 37s next door at the DRS centre. On arrival into Citadel station, I was surprised that the train was routed into Platform 1, meaning that I have now arrived and departed from Platforms 1,3, and 4 going both northbound along the Caledonian Railway main line and southbound along the Lancaster & Carlisle Railway. On the approach to Platform 1 (I initially thought it was going to be 2), I spotted 66708 in Platform 3 hauling coal wagons northbound.

At Oxenholme:The Lake District, I had spotted 73804 “James Watt” in the northbound loop after departure. I would be alighting from this service at Preston, and as I had a 25 minute break before my connecting service was due, I used this as a chance to see if the booking office would be able to issue me with the Daysave. After the clerk attempted to search on the booking system, it was one that was priced £5.30 (or something like that). I explained that when I searched online on the Merseyrail website, it was the £4.90 rail only. The clerk got one of his colleagues to take over, as the queue was starting to build up behind me, and came out with a tablet device and searched online on the Merseyrail website. I pointed out which one it was, which it appeared to have been that the prices were not updated on the system at Preston. I explained that I could sort it at either Ormskirk or Aintree, as my ticket from Glasgow was to Aintree.

Anyway, after purchasing an English Breakfast tea from the stall at the bottom of the ramp leading to Platforms 3 & 4, it was a hike to the London-facing bay (Platform 3c) for the 08:43 Ormskirk shuttle service, of which 153331 was doing these runs. After alighting at Ormskirk, I went to the booking office to attempt to purchase the Daysave, only for it to be explained to me that it does not appear on the screen until 09:30. I explained that my ticket is from Glasgow to Aintree, so I could sort it out there instead. It was back on to the platform for the 09:20 Liverpool Central service (five diagrams by my calculations), formed by 508125, where I would alight at Aintree.

I successfully managed to purchase the Daysave (third time lucky), meaning I was ready to roll my sleeves up and get cracking with the day's task. It was over to the other side for the 09:42 Ormskirk service to Old Roan, formed of 508111 (dud, as I had that back in February on the Lancashire Day Ranger as part of a double set between Birkdale and Southport). It was then over to the opposite platform for the 09:48 southbound service to Orrell Park, formed of 508120. It was then back northbound on the 09:55 to Old Roan, formed of 508127, where I made a slight error regarding not keeping my eye on the time. I was looking at the screen saying when the train is due, but forgot to look at the time at the bottom, therefore not realising it was running a couple of minutes behind schedule. On arrival at Old Roan, I noticed my intended southbound service was in the platform, so I attempted to run down the stairs, underneath the tracks, up the set of stairs to the platform, but heard the doors closing warning and started to pull out the platform just before I got to the top of the stairs. I noted the number (507001, on the 10:03, to see if I could land it later on somewhere) and then explored the nearby environs in the vicinity of the station. A boarded up pub advertising Liverpool and Everton matches screened live on a blackboard attached to the wall was a landmark of note.

It was back on 508111 (perhaps an unofficial super dud?) for the 10:18 southbound to Kirkdale. Whenever I am unsure where the exit, passageway, or bridge is located in relation to where the train stops, my simple rule of thumb is to be in the centre of the train. It was a good guess, as the rearmost door in the centre car aligned up with the footbridge (similar number of steps to Charing Cross Glasgow) and I crossed to the northbound platform for the 10:29 Kirkby service (three diagrams by my calculations) to Rice Lane, formed of 508134. It was over to the southbound platform for the 10:34 back to Kirkdale, formed of 507033. On approach to Kirkdale, I spotted 507001 to Ormskirk passing by. It was then over the bridge at Kirkdale for the 10:44 to Rice Lane, formed of 508115. It was over the bridge for the 10:49 to Liverpool Central, meeting up with 508134 again. As I was 15 minutes behind my intended itinerary, this meant that I had to forego alighting at Fazakerley (I have already called there back in February, but not boarded or alighted), hence the reason it was Kirkdale – Rice Lane – Kirkdale – Rice Lane – Liverpool Central to get me back on schedule.

After arriving at Liverpool Central, it was downstairs to the loop platform for the 11:10 West Kirby (6 diagrams as how I calculated it – an unknown error I made at the time) service, formed of 508141, where I would take as far as Leasowe. It was then on the 11:33 to Bidston, formed of 508122. While waiting at Bidston (it appears to be in the middle of nowhere on the western extremity of Birkenhead), I was admiring the artwork of how the station appeared in its glory days. My intention was to get the 11:40 West Kirby service to Moreton (Cheshire/Merseyside), however, I was paying attention to the time as well as how long it would be before it arrives. As it was a couple of minutes behind schedule, I decided to alight at Leasowe instead, which 508137 did me the honours of doing so. Therefore, it was back to Bidston on the 11:46, formed of 508126 (dud, as I had that from Kirkby to Sandhills in February), then on to the 11:55 all the way to West Kirby, formed of 507032.

I had a gentle saunter around the centre, then headed back to the station for the 12:36 to Birkenhead Park. This was formed of 508122, which I already had, and I remembered my error in calculating the number of diagrams that I made in that journeys to WKI show as starting from Moorfields, and journeys from WKI show as terminating at Liverpool Central. I had added both the journey times together with the layover at WKI, and rounded to the next multiple of 15, giving 90 minutes. However, it is actually 75 minutes in total, meaning that it is 5 diagrams to WKI.

At Birkenhead Park, it was on the 12:59 New Brighton (4 diagrams by my calculations) service as far as Wallasey Grove Road, formed of 507021. While on the way to Grove Road, I passed 507018 heading towards Liverpool and it was this point I decided to have a little game with myself by guessing if I would land that on the 13:53 to Liverpool, and made a note. At Grove Road, it was over to the other side for the 13:12 to Wallasey Village on 508143, then down and out, underneath the bridge, and back up to the opposite platform for the 13:22 all the way to New Brighton, formed of 508124. I exited the station and had a wander down to the seafront, and it looks a right dump. However, I found a Morrisons, and purchased a meal deal, and headed back up the hill to the station for the 13:53. My guess was correct, in that it was 507018 that was on this service, which I would take as far as Birkenhead Hamilton Square.

It was then across to Platform 2 for the 14:20 service all the way to Chester (6 diagrams by my calculations), and back northbound at 15:01 to Hooton on 507030. At the Alstom depot on the approach to Chester, 175009 and 175007 were coupled together, while at Chester station, 175107 was spotted with a westbound service towards either Llandudno or Holyhead. At Hooton, it was over to the bridge to the island platform for the 15:19 to Ellesmere Port (3 standard diagrams, plus an additional 3 Mon-Fri PM peak southbound by my calculations), which was formed of 508108. At Hooton, the remnants of its former glory days are still in evidence of rarely used platform faces and the additional tracks that run through. On arrival at ELP, it was across to the adjacent platform for the 15:34 Helsby service, formed of 156452. There was one other passenger with me that went all the way to Helsby, and 2 with me for the 15:48 return journey to ELP. As there seems to be recent residential developments in the vicinity of Ince & Elton station, the Ellesmere Port – Helsby stub might have the potential to have a service every 2 hours to start off with, perhaps as an extension of the present Liverpool Lime Street – Warrington Bank Quay service. Then eventually, continue the third rail from ELP to Helsby.

Back at ELP, it was over to the other side for the 16:12 to Birkenhead Central, formed of 508128. Before departure, a rough and ready type lady attempted to proposition me, with the caveat involving money. Needless to say, I very gently declined the offer and explained that I had no money and also had recently separated from my partner, due to me unable to take any more of her violent and verbal attacks on me when she was under the influence of intoxicating substances. Anyway, from Hooton onwards, I was keeping a lookout for southbound trains and making a note of the number, predicting which leg of my cranking session I would land them. All of my predictions turned out later to be spot on.

At Birkenhead Central, it was over to the other side for the 16:12 SX ELP service to Spital, formed of 507011. In the siding next to the Hooton platform, 508136 was sitting there. It was back to BKC on the 17:00 (standard and third and final ELP diagram) formed of 508139, to Bebington on the 17:15 SX ELP service, formed of 507028, and back to BKC on the 17:26, formed of 508130. It was then on the 17:37 to the next stop at Green Lane, formed of 508138, a short wait for the 17:47 SX ELP (third and final additional southbound peak service) formed of 508126 (dud, as I landed that from Kirkby to Sandhills in February) for one stop to Rock Ferry. Evidence that Rock Ferry was at one time an interchange station was plain to see, with disused bay platforms, and the formation that diverged to the right heading towards Birkenhead Woodside? It was northbound from Rock Ferry to Green Lane on the 17:59, formed of 508103, then back to Rock Ferry on the 18:09, formed of 508112, and then all the way to Liverpool Central on the 18:14, formed of 507029, and passing though Moorfields non-stop due to platform renovation works. On passing Birkenhead Central, 508136 had disappeared from the siding.

Upon arrival at Liverpool Central, it was upstairs to the concourse, then down one level for the Northern Line/Mersey Railway platforms. According to my mental calculations, there was no chance of me landing 507001, so that will have to wait for another day, or as how Sod's Law may determine, it could be the very last one I would require. Anyway, it was my intention to get the 18:44 to Hunts Cross so as to bash the track, however, I noticed that there was an 18:38 northbound Southport service, formed of 507013, so hopped on that to Moorfields. It was straight across to the southbound platform, and with some good fortune, my intended service that I would have got at Central was running behind schedule. Before that, there was a dud Central terminating service that I let go, before boarding my intended Hunts Cross service, formed of 507009. On passing Allerton Depot, 319382 plus some other 319s were spotted. At Hunts Cross, it was straight back to Central on the same unit, now only running 3 minutes behind schedule compared to 8 minutes on the southbound leg. I had also previously calculated that there are 10 diagrams on the Southport – Hunts Cross services, however, I would not have the time to crank them all out, so that will have to wait another day.

From Central, it was a gentle walk to Lime Street, through the barrier to Platform 1 for the 19:47 all stations service to Wigan North Western via St Helens Central, formed of a heavily loaded 142060. On passing Edge Hill, 66701 was hauling coal wagons. It should be noted that this was a huge gamble that I had pulled off, as upon arrival at Wigan NW, the 20:38 Glasgow Central service was pulling in on the same island platform, for which was my booked train, formed of dud 390127 “Virgin Buccaneer”. I used some clever ticketing combinations here to cover me if I was unfortunate enough to miss it that involved group stations in Cheshire, the same fare to Glasgow from a station that was formerly in Lancashire and involved a walk between 2 stations in a town that is famous for the oval ball game of rugby.

In peace

Adam

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A most enjoyable read during this morning's commute, and a most intensive Merseyrail session there! I note only 507029 and 508139 that I needed out of your travels, wish I could have been on your day!

I must try and make note of your notes on diagrams, as it would doubtlessly come in handy when I return to Merseyside. I know what you mean about the services on the timetables, it is confusing when it says one station for inbound services and another for starting services! It's like that on board when you arrive from Chester at James Street, it's announced as a Chester train from there so if you're not expecting it, you do wonder what happened! Same of course applies to Ellesmere Port, New Brighton and West Kirby trains.

Did you include that one train in the evening peak which terminates at Hooton in your diagram count? Same query to the 1723 Central to Southport, both peak time extras. I think some of them during the day get an ECS train banged on at their terminus just before returning ready for the evening peak too, although that's based off guesses from 2014's trips up there.

Was that true about your partner and intoxicating substances? If so then that was right proper nasty!

adrock1976

Established Member
While I was building my schedule around the extra Ellesmere Port peak services, I forgot to include the Green Lane - Hooton short working, therefore is not counted. It was not my intention to go for the additional peak time northbound service to Southport, as it clashed with what I was trying to achieve south of the Mersey.

I also done a rough draft of the Southport - Hunts Cross diagrams, and found that it is possible to crank 8 from 10 between Sandhills and Bank Hall (both island platforms - handy if a couple of minutes delayed) in 50 minutes.

Yes, it is true about me separating from my (now former) partner. While I'm not the type of person to air laundry in public, the final straw came when she was drunk and started an argument with me, she snatched my spectacles off me and attempted to break them, but failed to do so. Needless to say, that situation left me very shaken for a while.

In peace

Adam

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sorry to hear that, and I hope I haven't caused any upset or offense by asking. I'm also glad you got out of that situation before it escalated too far. I've never been in that situation but I do know someone who changes significantly after a few drinks so in a way I do understand and sympathise greatly.

On a much more positive note, that's interesting to know about the Sandhills to Bank Hall moves. That short working to Hooton, I'm still trying to figure out if it comes off Birkenhead North depot or what it does, worth bearing it in mind for future visits. That said next time I go up I want to focus on knocking down my Northern requirements instead.

Kristofferson

An interesting day out, and I'm glad you're free to indulge your hobby without interference or problems when you arrive home :)

Kite159

Veteran Member
Useful to know about the Sandhills to Bank Hall, should clear some of the services before they start returning.

adrock1976

Established Member
My intention of this trip was mainly to revisit a couple of routes that I've not traversed for a good number of years, and also to complete the Cheshire Lines Committee network by way of traversing the Chester – Manchester route via Altrincham, and finally getting round to completing every inch of metal on the Grand Junction Railway from Warrington Bank Quay to Newton junction/Earlestown. Also, I would throw in some cranking for good measure too. I would also like to note that for the main part of the bash, it did not go according to plan, mainly due to me taking a gamble on a tight connection that backfired. Furthermore, owing to a misjudgement on my part combined with being held at red signals in a couple of places, the middle section of the bash was one hour behind, meaning that I decided to abandon a run to and from Runcorn from Crewe to help me get back on track (unsure if pun is intentional or not!) for the final part before heading back home. Later on in the day, me abandoning Runcorn did not make any difference whatsoever, due to the massive disruption I believe happened in the Stafford area, affecting most of the Intercity services and Birmingham – Liverpool services too.

Anyway, it was an early rise for me at 03:00, with me getting the provisions ready I prepared earlier. The only thing I had to do after having a couple cups of tea (Assam tea, as that is very strong, and which I don't drink too much of in one go as I normally end up well and truly wired to the moon) to give me a kick start was for me to prepare both my flasks of tea (one normal and one Earl Grey – my blue Thermos flask was a present from my mum for my birthday in 1989, which has been with me to various festivals, Japan, Paris, Cologne, on various vacations, and most importantly, was first christened on Platforms 6 & 7 at Birmingham New Street for one of my trainspotting sessions). It was out the door at 03:45 for the predominantly downhill walk to Glasgow Central, listening to the various birdsongs in the trees.

The 04:28 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway was sitting in the platform when I arrived. This was formed by 390112 “Virgin Star”, which I would take as far as Preston. After departure, the train diverged from its normal route at Uddingston to join the Midcalder Railway, passing through Bellshill and Holytown, then the Wishaw Deviation route, rejoining the Caledonian Main Line at Law Junction, Carluke. It is noted that on Saturdays, this departure is routed via the Cathcart District Railway and Newton East Junction, then as above. On passing through Carstairs, the 350 that was working the 04:22 GLC – Manchester Airport service was overtook. On passing Kingmoor, 66106 and 37605 were spotted, also, a car transporter was heading northbound. Arrival at Carlisle Citadel (standard southbound Platform 4 for Lancaster & Carlisle Railway services) was a few minutes ahead of schedule, and after departure, 66303 was spotted running light engine southbound through Platform 3, possibly heading on to the Maryport & Carlisle Railway as it appeared to peel away to my right when passing the loco.

At Oxenholme: The Lake District, 185140 was spotted working the shuttle to Windermere, while on the approach to Lancaster, Colas Rail 73904 was sitting in the siding at the north end of the station. Arrival at Preston was a couple of minutes ahead of schedule, and as I had a near 25 minute wait for my next service, I went to the lavatory and did some trainspotting. For information, 185134 and 185145 were working the 06:58 MIA – Edinburgh Waverley, 142011 the 07:00 from Blackpool South to Colne, 185128 the 07:08 southbound to MIA, 150224 and 150215 the 07:15 southbound service to Hazel Grove. After the above, it was time for me to board the 07:17 London Euston via Birmingham service, which I was going as far as Warrington Bank Quay. This was formed by 390148 “Virgin Harrier”. On arrival at Wigan NW, 150133 and 150275 were spotted in the opposite platform heading north in the direction of Preston, and most likely from my reckoning, Blackpool North/Talbot Road.

After alighting at Warrington BQ, I glanced at the screen so as to have an idea of how things were running, and had noticed that the 07:39 Manchester Piccadilly was running 10 minutes late. As my intention was to have a gentle saunter outside the station and get the 08:09 MAN service (the 07:39 would have departed WBQ at exactly the same time I arrived), I decided to make my way to the northbound island platforms and crank out an additional unit, while thinking to myself there would be a greater risk of me landing that very same unit on the way back. Anyway, I spotted a pair of locos in the London bay platform, which were 90024 in First Group livery (used for the sleeper services) at the rear, with 90036 “Driver Jack Mills” in DBS livery facing London. 390135 "City of Lancaster” was working the 07:49 northbound service to Glasgow Central. At 07:50, the delayed Manchester service finally arrived, which was formed by a very crowded 158835 (which as it would later become apparent, would appear to stalk me for the rest of the day) for the short hop to Earlestown/Newton Junction.

While waiting for my intended service (the 08:19), 175008 was working the 08:13 MAN – Holyhead service. The 08:19 was a pleasant surprise for me, as it was DVT 82306 and loco 67001 that took me round the corner to Newton-le-Willows. As i had a break of 40 minutes here, I done some more trainspotting for a short while. 185143 whizzed through with a Liverpool – Newcastle Central service, while 156429 was on the 08:37 to MIA. I had a very quick walk up the hill and noticed the shops were not open yet, so returned back to the station and spotted 156483 working the 09:00 to Liverpool.

It was then on the 09:10 service that should have been a 4 car service to Llandudno and Holyhead (according to the PIS screen). This was formed by 185835 (now a dud) and after getting on board, it was announced that the train would be terminating at Chester (which was my intended alighting point). It was back round the corner to Earlestown, then being held after departure at the signal before where the Golborne cut-off converges on the Grand Junction Railway southbound. We were now a couple of minutes behind schedule throughout, however, it must be mentioned that this service is the PSUL that upon departing Warrington BQ, it takes the Walton Old Junction - Acton Grange Junction route passing through (or close to) the goods yard. Furthermore, I've got one arm of the Newton Junction/Earlestown from the GJR to the Liverpool & Manchester Railway done (I did the top side back in February on the second part of the Lancashire Day Ranger bash), and will be back to do the Liverpool direction later on.

Arrival in to Chester was 4 minutes behind schedule, with passengers being advised that there was a train for either Holyhead or Llandudno (I cannot remember which) further along the platform. This was the moment for me to see if i could pull off getting from Platform 3 to Platform 6 in less than 2 minutes through a huge crowd of people for the 09:59 Manchester via Altrincham service. Sadly, as I was coming down the stairs I saw it pulling away. This meant that I would have to forego alighting at Navigation Road, walking to Altrincham, going west to Hale, then eastbound to Stockport, therefore missing out on some cranking on this route. Instead, I decided to attempt to crank some Merseyrail units after gathering my thoughts together, so boarded the 10:15 Liverpool Central and decided to alight at Capenhurst and come back south. However, I made an error here, as the trains pass each other south of Capenhurst, also with Capenhurst being unusual that it has a train every 30 minutes instead of 15 minutes at all the other stations. I decided to stay on 508128 to Hooton, alighted and saw the southbound Chester service pulling away. It was back to Chester on the 10:42 formed of 508110, being held at a red signal for a couple of minutes by the depot, and you guessed it, the 10:59 Manchester via Altrincham service pulled away from Platform 6. Expletives were quietly going on in my mind at this moment in time.

After gathering my thoughts together once more, I had a quick eyeball around and saw 175003 in the track north of Platform 7, with 221143 forming the 11:34 London (221107 was for the 10:34 that was spotted earlier). I then boarded the 11:15 Liverpool Central service, formed by 508120 for the short run to Bache, before returning to Chester on the 11:22 which was formed by 507009. On passing the depot, 175105 and 175004 were spotted. Out of curiosity when I got back home later, I checked to see if I managed to eliminate any more Merseyrail units. Rather disappointingly, all four Merseyrail units I travelled on today turned out to be duds. Furthermore, as I was determined not to miss the 11:59 Manchester via Altrincham service, I hung around Platform 6, and spotted 156491 that was the spare unit sitting there before being called into action later on for something, 175115 was on the 11:50 to Manchester via Warrington BQ, while a glance across to Platform 1 or 2 (it was the London via LNWR bay platform) I spotted 158835 (I did mention earlier that this would stalk me today).

At my third attempt, I managed to get on board the 11:59 (which drew up behind 156491), formed by 150146 for the run to Stockport. After departure from Chester, I did examine my plans and worked out that as I would be 1 hour behind my intended plans on arrival at Stockport, I decided to forego the run from Crewe to Runcorn so as not to miss the second last departure from Warrington BQ to St Helens Junction. Unknown to me at the time, this decision would have already been made for me due to the later disruption at Crewe. Back to the Mid-Cheshire route, at Ashley, I passed 156488 that was heading westbound to Chester. After departure from Navigation Road, it was a gentle crawl to Skelton Junction before picking up speed to continue to Stockport.

On arrival at Stockport, it was to Platform 2 for the 13:23 London Euston via Stoke-on-Trent service, formed by 390008 “Virgin King” (dud). I alighted at SOT, and spotted 220022 on the 13:55 northbound to Manchester, before continuing to Platform 3 for the 13:59 local all stations to Manchester, formed by 323234. I first went on a 323 in 1993 when they were introduced in the West Midlands, painted in the WMPTE (Centro) livery. Just before departure, 350155 pulled in Platform 2 for the northbound service to Crewe. After departure, I spotted a stoneblower north of the station, and was a genteel saunter northbound to Stockport.

I exited the station westbound (Edgeley) and walked around to the car park side, spotting a 319 in the depot. After re-entering the station via the car park side, it was to Platform 2 for the 15:04 London Euston via Crewe service, which I would take just the one stop to Wilmslow. This was formed by 390039 “Virgin Quest” (dud), where this is one of the first 9 car sets where Golf has vanished and morphed into Foxtrot. At Wilmslow, it was then over to the Styal platforms for the 15:20 local southbound service to Crewe, formed by 323232 which I would take as far as Sandbach. On passing through Alderley Edge, 323223 was spotted sitting in the siding. At Sandbach, it was over to the northbound side for the 15:41 to Holmes Chapel, formed by 323230. After alighting, and if I had thought about it at the time, I could have dashed to the southbound platform and got 323238 to Sandbach, but was not quick enough by the time I thought about it, and bearing in mind I was caught up in the middle of the school run at this time of day.

Anyway, I remained on the northbound platform and spotted 175113 passing though with a Manchester service (possibly from Cardiff or points west), before boarding the 16:02 to Alderley Edge that was formed by now dud 323232. At Goostrey, a GBRf loco was hauling containers southbound, however, I did not get the number. At Alderley Edge, it was across to the southbound platform for the 16:23 to Crewe, which was formed by 323231 and would take all the way to Crewe.

After alighting at Crewe, I was greeted with lots of disruption, but through having a glance at the screen, the disruption was mainly affecting the Intercity services both north and south. On the other hand, the local Crewe – Manchester, Cardiff services, and Crewe – Derby services seemed to be not affected at all. It is noted that my intended 15:57 Liverpool LS service from Birmingham was showing an expected departure of 16:50 and terminating at Runcorn, I was thinking to myself it may be worth a punt to do the run to Runcorn and back. Making my way over to Platform 11 through the huge crowd that was queueing up for the London – Liverpool LS service on Platform 6 (severely delayed), the 350 that would have been the 15:57 was now obviously cancelled with all the doors locked and out of service, which meant that idea had now been well and truly scuppered. The London – LIV service arrived and it seemed like passengers were being assisted into the train Japan style.

Another glance at the screen had the 16:49 London – Chester service as a 10 minute delay, so I decided to take a gamble with this which paid off and made my way to Platform 12 (a last minute platform alteration). 221114 was the Super Voyager which I boarded and departing Crewe at 16:58 for the one stop to Chester, with me being relieved to have escaped from the melee at Crewe and arriving at Chester an hour earlier than originally intended. The arrival at Chester was only a few minutes behind schedule. After alighting, I made my way to the travel centre to pick up a timetable of the North Wales services, spotting 158835 in the adjacent platform. After consulting the timetable, I decided to do a run to Fflint and pick up the train there that would be the same service as the 18:16 Chester – Manchester via Warrington BQ.

I made my way towards Platform 3 to the Chester & Holyhead Railway end for the 17:25 Llandudno and Holyhead service, formed by 158825 and 158830. Departure was 4 minutes behind schedule after the units coupled up, and on arrival at Fflint, there were light showers now and crossed over to the eastbound platform for the slightly delayed 17:52 Manchester via Warrington BQ service. It was 150256 that provided the honours for me to Warrington BQ on the PSUL move via Acton Grange Junction and Walton Old Junction, having got back on time at Chester. After the departure from Chester, 221113 was spotted working the London – Bangor (Gwynedd) in the westbound direction, with 66158 spotted in the goods yard at Warrington.

Upon arrival at Warrington BQ, it was over to Platform 1 on the London island for the 18:51 Liverpool LS service, formed by 150115. It seemed unusual for me to be departing WBQ northbound on the right-hand track, something I've never done at this location before. The train then crossed to the normal left-hand side at Winnick Junction before continuing to Newton Junction/Earlestown. I would remain on board as far as St Helens Junction before crossing over to return to WBQ on the 19:16, formed by 156421 (dud). After being held for a minute or two just before the crossover west of Earlestown, a 319 whizzed by heading towards Liverpool. After departure from Earlestown, 175106 was spotted heading towards Manchester.

Back at WBQ, it was the same island platform for the 19:41 London service, which I would take for the one stop to Crewe. 390011 “City of Lichfield” provided the honours of doing so, where after alighting at Crewe, it was over to Platform 11 for the 20:09 Glasgow Central service (this is the one I have booked an Advance single from WBQ to one of two of my local stations of Springburn). As this was delayed by approximately 12 minutes, I did some trainspotting while waiting. DRS loco 57311 “Thunderbird” was spotted in Platform 7/8 (bays facing Shrewsbury), 175110 working the 20:09 Manchester – Cardiff Central service, 153319 for the 20:45 to Derby, 350244 on the 20:10 to Northampton, 350121 on the 20:18 Birmingham NS service, and finally, my stalker 158835 on the 20:34 Chester service from Platform 9 (of which I was finally glad to see the back of it today after heading homeward bound).

The 20:09 eventually arrived and then departed at 20:22, formed by 390125 “Virgin Stagecoach”. At WBQ, the 2 locos that were in the London bay platform were no longer there, at Wigan NW, 156472 was spotted sitting in the London bay platform while 150276 was working the 21:00 local all stations to Liverpool LS. At Lancaster, 185144 was spotted heading southbound to either Manchester P or MIA. After departure from Carlisle Citadel 9 minutes behind schedule, the driver must have gone like the clappers for the final stretch to Glasgow, as arrival was at 23:19, 2 minutes behind schedule and no longer busting my official connection with the 23:52 from Glasgow QS (last train to Springburn). If arrival was another 4 minutes late, I would have claimed Delay Repay as it would have been less than 30 minutes for the interchange between Central and Queen Street.

At Glasgow Queen Street, 156493 was in Platform 4, 170408 and 170455 in Platform 5 having arrived from Inverness, with me boarding the 23:52 What's it called? Cumbernauld, formed by 170410 (which turned out to be dud when checking my sheet back home of the 11 required 170s) for the short trek up the hill to Springburn. Despite my early setback at Chester and abandoning some cranking on the Mid-Cheshire Line and also the trek to Runcorn, I had achieved the main objective of the trip by traversing the Mid-Cheshire Line, the section from Warrington BQ to Chester including the PSUL move, and finally completing every inch of track of the Grand Junction Railway by traversing north of Warrington BQ to both Newton-le-Willows and St Helens Junction on the Liverpool & Manchester Railway. After all, the GJR was Birmingham's very first railway, and also provided the very first Intercity route from Liverpool and Manchester to London via Birmingham. Since I was first let out on the railway by myself in 1989, and having covered Birmingham – Portobello Junction on a Birmingham – Chester service, and Bushbury Junction to Warrington BQ, and Bushbury Junction to Portobello Junction on the overnight sleeper train, it has only took me 26 years to finally complete every inch of the Grand Junction Railway.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Been a bit of a day where nothing went to plan, but at least it was productive in the end!

The PSUL move you mention on the 0428 from Glasgow, takes in the Newton Connecting Line doesn't it? One of the few PSUL moves I still need.

Not had that sort of thing happen with trains stalking me for a long time, but I still remember the same happening with 66560 years back!

adrock1976

Established Member
Been a bit of a day where nothing went to plan, but at least it was productive in the end!

The PSUL move you mention on the 0428 from Glasgow, takes in the Newton Connecting Line doesn't it? One of the few PSUL moves I still need.

Not had that sort of thing happen with trains stalking me for a long time, but I still remember the same happening with 66560 years back!

It is only on a Saturday though. It might be possible to get it in if travelling north to Glasgow on the very last train that arrives after midnight, or via the last London Kings Cross - Edinburgh Waverley service that arrives EDB 23:30, transferring to the last EDB - GLC via Shotts (dep 23:47) and arriving GLC after 01:00.

Not for the faint-hearted I must admit :)

In peace

Adam

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.