• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adrock's trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A shame about the Durham Coast route not being doable, will you be claiming Delay Repay for the outward VTEC move?

Rather good day there still though, I love the Tyne and Tees Day Ranger, excellent value for the territory covered!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
It was while viewing the UK Railtours website earlier in the summer out of curiosity as to what railtours were on offer, and most importantly, if I could make it to the starting point easily or not, due to most starting in London or the south. It was “A Ticket to Ryde” tour that I settled on, and also my new partner was interested in this too, as neither of us had ever been to the Isle of Wight before. I had booked this tour, plus the overnight sleeper train from Glasgow to London back in July. I had redeemed the former EC Rewards points for 4 First Class tickets, so used 2 of those for the one and only direct service from London Kings Cross to Glasgow Central the following day.

It was down to Glasgow Central station the previous night for the 23:40 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway and Northampton Loop service, with loco 90048 at the London end and 92038 having brought the set in from Polmadie, which had been detached. We were booked into berths 9 & 10 in Mike coach, and after settling down for the evening, we both drifted off to sleep. Arrival at Euston was 10 minutes ahead of the scheduled time of 06:49, so after waking up and finishing our complementary tea, it was a step outside briefly for some fresh air before going downstairs to the tube station for the Northern Line to Waterloo. It is noted that according to the RTT website, the train arrived 40 minutes ahead of schedule at Watford Junction, and remained in the platform for 30 minutes before continuing to Euston.

At Waterloo, we had a latte each before making our way to Platform 5 when it came upon the board. The train was formed of winner 159020 and dud (for me) 159004 for the run to Portsmouth Harbour, calling at Woking, which departed on time at 08:32. We were allocated Seats 43 and 44 in Echo coach, which were on the left-hand side and were airline and backward facing for the southbound run. It did seem unusual to pass through Clapham Junction non-stop on a 159, and was running on the middle tracks from Wimbledon to just before West Byfleet, where we crossed to the outer track and was held briefly outside Woking, due to running a few minutes early. After some more passengers boarded, we were on our way south passing through Guildford and onto the Portsmouth Direct route via Haslemere and Havant. It is noted that all the passengers were handed a pamphlet of the railtour.

At Portsmouth Harbour, it was then to the ferry terminal to board “Wight Scene” for the tour around the harbour and across the Solent to Ryde Pier Head. The normal catamaran was allowed to overtake us halfway across a choppy Solent, and riding over the wake that was left behind. On arrival at Ryde Pier Head, there was the option of the 12:07 or 12:49, so we both settled on the 12:49 departure and walked along the pier to a cafe near Esplanade station for something light. It was back to Esplanade station for the 12:52 that we would take all the way south to Shanklin, formed of ex-Bakerloo 1938 stock 003 and 004.

We then headed down towards the beach and walked along the costal path to Sandown, then making our way onto Station Avenue and to the station, where 003 and 004 were waiting in the platform on the 14:24 Ryde Pier Head service for the southbound Shanklin service (007 and possibly 008)to arrive before proceeding. We alighted at Smallbrook Junction for the 14:48 1960s bogie set to Havenstreet, hauled by W24 “Calbourne”. In the opposite platform, W11 “Newport” was taking in some water and was hauling the 4-wheeled set, which we would board half an hour later after visiting the workshop and a quick look inside the museum.

It was then on board the 15:31 departure (the last service of the day) to the end of the line at Wooton, then back to Smallbrook Junction on the 4-wheeled set. The ride quality was more noticeable and bumpy in comparison to the bogied set, although in fairness, it trundled along slowly. On the approach to Smallbrook Junction before the curve, the guard invited the passengers in the front coach into the guard's area, where we were treated to the locomotive letting off some steam. At Smallbrook Jucnction, it was clear that most passengers of the railtour had the same idea in being on the last steam service of the day due to the platform being packed. It was on the 16:33 Ryde Pier Head service formed of 003 and 004 to return us to the ferry “Wight Scene” that was already moored up and waiting for everyone.

While crossing the Solent, there were a couple of container ships from the Netherlands and Germany going to and from Southampton. At Portsmouth Harbour, it was to Platform 3 to board 159004 and 159020 for the run north to Waterloo, departing 18:03. It was then via “The Drain” to Bank, then the Central Line to Liverpool Street. It was then on the 20:25 Stansted Airport service to Tottenham Hale, formed of 379009 and 379019. As the line was closed between Bethnal Green and Seven Sisters/Chingford, this meant that the Stansted Airport services were diverted via Stratford. At Tottenham Hale, it was through two sets of gatelines to Victoria Line (the gateline should be designed so as to have it as all part of the one complex – similar to Highbury & Islington) for the one stop to Seven Sisters (both Underground and NR are the one complex – no requirement to pass through gatelines when interchanging), where 317892 “Ilford Depot” was in the platform upstairs for the 21:02 to Cheshunt, which we would take as far as Edmonton Green. This unit had the black round rubber buttons for the doors, which I remember seeing on the Network SouthEast Birmingham NS – London Euston via Northampton services in the late 1980s/early 1990s. It was across the road to the Travelodge where we would be staying overnight.

The following morning after checking out, it was a gentle stroll along Fore Street in the direction of Angel Corner (the junction with the North Circular Road) for some breakfast. We stumbled upon a greasy spoon cafe south of the junction on the left-hand side of the street facing London. It was then a gentle stoll back up to Angel Corner and then left along the link road to the North Circular towards Silver Street station. This does not seem an easy road to get across from one side to the other, but not as bad as the junction with Fore Street. It was up to the London bound platform for the slightly delayed 12:30 to Seven Sisters, formed by a required 317709, but as Tottenham Hotspur were hosting Crystal Palace with a lunchtime kick off, it was jam packed full of Spurs fans and were unable to board. After a brief fester for the 12:45, this was formed of dud (for me) 315817 for the short trip south to Seven Sisters.

It was then via Victoria Line to Tottenham Hale, where the 13:04 Liverpool Street service was sitting in the southbound platform, but knowing realistically that we would not make it across the footbridge in time, so let that one go. When we made our way to the southbound platform, 317662 and 317668 were spotted working the 13:16 southbound service to Stratford (which we would pass soon after Stratford), and 379016 and 379020 were spotted working the northbound Stansted Airport service. It was soon onboard the 13:19 Liverpool Street service, formed by 379015 and 379012 to its terminus. Then down to the Central Line for a westbound service for the 2 stops to St Pauls, where we had a quick look inside the cathedral, and walked along Ludgate Hill towards the vicinity of Old Bailey for some refreshment.

Afterwards, we walked towards Blackfriars station (as City Thameslink is closed on Sundays) to hop on a northbound Thameslink service to Kings Cross/St Pancras via City Widened Lines. The 15:22 Bedford Midland service was formed by 319217, although not dud for haulage for my partner, it was dud for me in every sense. There appeared to be a fault with the train that could not be temporarily fixed, so the service was cancelled. It was then down to the Underground for a Circle Line service (which arrived a minute after reaching the platform) to Kings Cross St Pancras and upstairs to Kings Cross station and Platform 0 for the 16:15 Glasgow Central service via Hertford Loop and Edinburgh Waverley, formed by loco 91102 “City of York” and DVT 82226. First Class (we were in Lima coach) was full to York, but emptied out afterwards.

Upon arrival at Newcastle Central, this was where all the trains between here and Edinburgh Waverley were running haywire due to a person being hit by a train almost 2 hours previous between Edinburgh and Berwick-upon-Tweed. It was announced that the service we were on (the 19:43 departure to Glasgow Central) had been cancelled and was terminating here so as to form the 20:02 service back to London KX. There was the 19:28 Glasgow XC service in the adjacent platform, formed by 220022 and 220008 which we boarded. This eventually departed at 20:28 and arrived at Glasgow Central at 23:02, meaning that overall, there was a 36 minutes delay to our journey.

This was an enjoyable weekend, with the route south of Woking and every inch of metal on the Isle of Wight being new track covered for me, and the whole trip except the sleeper leg to London being new track for my partner. Despite the disruption at Newcastle Central, it seemed to have been in the stages of being cleared for the backlog of services to be resumed for the evening.

Last edited:

Established Member
It was while viewing the UK Railtours website earlier in the summer out of curiosity as to what railtours were on offer, and most importantly, if I could make it to the starting point easily or not, due to most starting in London or the south. It was “A Ticket to Ryde” tour that I settled on, and also my new partner was interested in this too, as neither of us had ever been to the Isle of Wight before. I had booked this tour, plus the overnight sleeper train from Glasgow to London back in July. I had redeemed the former EC Rewards points for 4 First Class tickets, so used 2 of those for the one and only direct service from London Kings Cross to Glasgow Central the following day.

It was down to Glasgow Central station the previous night for the 23:40 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway and Northampton Loop service, with loco 90048 at the London end and 92038 having brought the set in from Polmadie, which had been detached. We were booked into berths 9 & 10 in Mike coach, and after settling down for the evening, we both drifted off to sleep. Arrival at Euston was 10 minutes ahead of the scheduled time of 06:49, so after waking up and finishing our complementary tea, it was a step outside briefly for some fresh air before going downstairs to the tube station for the Northern Line to Waterloo. It is noted that according to the RTT website, the train arrived 40 minutes ahead of schedule at Watford Junction, and remained in the platform for 30 minutes before continuing to Euston.

At Waterloo, we had a latte each before making our way to Platform 5 when it came upon the board. The train was formed of winner 159020 and dud (for me) 159004 for the run to Portsmouth Harbour, calling at Woking, which departed on time at 08:32. We were allocated Seats 43 and 44 in Echo coach, which were on the left-hand side and were airline and backward facing for the southbound run. It did seem unusual to pass through Clapham Junction non-stop on a 159, and was running on the middle tracks from Wimbledon to just before West Byfleet, where we crossed to the outer track and was held briefly outside Woking, due to running a few minutes early. After some more passengers boarded, we were on our way south passing through Guildford and onto the Portsmouth Direct route via Haslemere and Havant. It is noted that all the passengers were handed a pamphlet of the railtour.

At Portsmouth Harbour, it was then to the ferry terminal to board “Wight Scene” for the tour around the harbour and across the Solent to Ryde Pier Head. The normal catamaran was allowed to overtake us halfway across a choppy Solent, and riding over the wake that was left behind. On arrival at Ryde Pier Head, there was the option of the 12:07 or 12:49, so we both settled on the 12:49 departure and walked along the pier to a cafe near Esplanade station for something light. It was back to Esplanade station for the 12:52 that we would take all the way south to Shanklin, formed of ex-Bakerloo 1938 stock 003 and 004.

We then headed down towards the beach and walked along the costal path to Sandown, then making our way onto Station Avenue and to the station, where 003 and 004 were waiting in the platform on the 14:24 Ryde Pier Head service for the southbound Shanklin service (007 and possibly 008)to arrive before proceeding. We alighted at Smallbrook Junction for the 14:48 1960s bogie set to Havenstreet, hauled by W24 “Calbourne”. In the opposite platform, W11 “Newport” was taking in some water and was hauling the 4-wheeled set, which we would board half an hour later after visiting the workshop and a quick look inside the museum.

It was then on board the 15:31 departure (the last service of the day) to the end of the line at Wooton, then back to Smallbrook Junction on the 4-wheeled set. The ride quality was more noticeable and bumpy in comparison to the bogied set, although in fairness, it trundled along slowly. On the approach to Smallbrook Junction before the curve, the guard invited the passengers in the front coach into the guard's area, where we were treated to the locomotive letting off some steam. At Smallbrook Jucnction, it was clear that most passengers of the railtour had the same idea in being on the last steam service of the day due to the platform being packed. It was on the 16:33 Ryde Pier Head service formed of 003 and 004 to return us to the ferry “Wight Scene” that was already moored up and waiting for everyone.

While crossing the Solent, there were a couple of container ships from the Netherlands and Germany going to and from Southampton. At Portsmouth Harbour, it was to Platform 3 to board 159004 and 159020 for the run north to Waterloo, departing 18:03. It was then via “The Drain” to Bank, then the Central Line to Liverpool Street. It was then on the 20:25 Stansted Airport service to Tottenham Hale, formed of 379009 and 379019. As the line was closed between Bethnal Green and Seven Sisters/Chingford, this meant that the Stansted Airport services were diverted via Stratford. At Tottenham Hale, it was through two sets of gatelines to Victoria Line (the gateline should be designed so as to have it as all part of the one complex – similar to Highbury & Islington) for the one stop to Seven Sisters (both Underground and NR are the one complex – no requirement to pass through gatelines when interchanging), where 317892 “Ilford Depot” was in the platform upstairs for the 21:02 to Cheshunt, which we would take as far as Edmonton Green. This unit had the black round rubber buttons for the doors, which I remember seeing on the Network SouthEast Birmingham NS – London Euston via Northampton services in the late 1980s/early 1990s. It was across the road to the Travelodge where we would be staying overnight.

The following morning after checking out, it was a gentle stroll along Fore Street in the direction of Angel Corner (the junction with the North Circular Road) for some breakfast. We stumbled upon a greasy spoon cafe south of the junction on the left-hand side of the street facing London. It was then a gentle stoll back up to Angel Corner and then left along the link road to the North Circular towards Silver Street station. This does not seem an easy road to get across from one side to the other, but not as bad as the junction with Fore Street. It was up to the London bound platform for the slightly delayed 12:30 to Seven Sisters, formed by a required 317709, but as Tottenham Hotspur were hosting Crystal Palace with a lunchtime kick off, it was jam packed full of Spurs fans and were unable to board. After a brief fester for the 12:45, this was formed of dud (for me) 315817 for the short trip south to Seven Sisters.

It was then via Victoria Line to Tottenham Hale, where the 13:04 Liverpool Street service was sitting in the southbound platform, but knowing realistically that we would not make it across the footbridge in time, so let that one go. When we made our way to the southbound platform, 317662 and 317668 were spotted working the 13:16 southbound service to Stratford (which we would pass soon after Stratford), and 379016 and 379020 were spotted working the northbound Stansted Airport service. It was soon onboard the 13:19 Liverpool Street service, formed by 379015 and 379012 to its terminus. Then down to the Central Line for a westbound service for the 2 stops to St Pauls, where we had a quick look inside the cathedral, and walked along Ludgate Hill towards the vicinity of Old Bailey for some refreshment.

Afterwards, we walked towards Blackfriars station (as City Thameslink is closed on Sundays) to hop on a northbound Thameslink service to Kings Cross/St Pancras via City Widened Lines. The 15:22 Bedford Midland service was formed by 319217, although not dud for haulage for my partner, it was dud for me in every sense. There appeared to be a fault with the train that could not be temporarily fixed, so the service was cancelled. It was then down to the Underground for a Circle Line service (which arrived a minute after reaching the platform) to Kings Cross St Pancras and upstairs to Kings Cross station and Platform 0 for the 16:15 Glasgow Central service via Hertford Loop and Edinburgh Waverley, formed by loco 91102 “City of York” and DVT 82226. First Class (we were in Lima coach) was full to York, but emptied out afterwards.

Upon arrival at Newcastle Central, this was where all the trains between here and Edinburgh Waverley were running haywire due to a person being hit by a train almost 2 hours previous between Edinburgh and Berwick-upon-Tweed. It was announced that the service we were on (the 19:43 departure to Glasgow Central) had been cancelled and was terminating here so as to form the 20:02 service back to London KX. There was the 19:28 Glasgow XC service in the adjacent platform, formed by 220022 and 220008 which we boarded. This eventually departed at 20:28 and arrived at Glasgow Central at 23:02, meaning that overall, there was a 36 minutes delay to our journey.

This was an enjoyable weekend, with the route south of Woking and every inch of metal on the Isle of Wight being new track covered for me, and the whole trip except the sleeper leg to London being new track for my partner. Despite the disruption at Newcastle Central, it seemed to have been in the stages of being cleared for the backlog of services to be resumed for the evening.
Sounds like a good all round trip, an enjoyable read too, glad to hear you both had a good time, shame about having to leave the comfort of a Mark 4 and banged onto a voyager, that deserves a full refund in my book:lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
One helluva good trip! I assume your new partner is an enthusiast too?

I loved the former Tube stock on the Isle of Wight when I did it, although I went by the superior route, the hovercraft!

adrock1976

Established Member
Sounds like a good all round trip, an enjoyable read too, glad to hear you both had a good time, shame about having to leave the comfort of a Mark 4 and banged onto a voyager, that deserves a full refund in my book:lol:

It was a bit of a comedown, especially when the complementary cups of tea on the Voyagers were in cardboard cups, compared to china/porcelain mugs on the Mark IV. I will put in a claim for Delay Repay as my partner has mobility issues, but using my own words for the generic enquiries. I do not expect anything due to using the Rewards tickets, but it's worth a shot anyway as it was their service that terminated short of destination and it being the only one of the day that continues beyond Edinburgh Waverley to Glasgow Central via Caledonian Railway metals.

One helluva good trip! I assume your new partner is an enthusiast too?

I loved the former Tube stock on the Isle of Wight when I did it, although I went by the superior route, the hovercraft!

She understands my enthusiasm, due to me being a Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, and Napalm Death fan, and that it's all metal :)

Also, even though it's not the same level as me (she's not into attempting 1 minute connections or being on an all stations stopping local service), she can tell the difference between a Class 380 and Class 314, and the similarities between a Class 313, 314, and 315. Furthermore, she would like to do some track bashing trips with me too.

My next trips by myself that I intend to do is to crank out the 442s (you may have seen the thread I started in the Allocations section) and the 313s using the Southern Daysave in mid-October, taking a quick spin to Alton via Chertsey and Camberley and onwards to Bramley (to land 150001) the next day, to do the Beckenham Junction curve on the Saturday (hopefully third time lucky). Also, I intend to do some rapid quickfire cranking in West Yorkshire PTE area for some 155s and 333s, and also in Manchester to concentrate on clearing the 8 required 323s (plus maybe MAN - Stockport runs and also tearing into some 142s and 150s in the process too).

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
At least she understands the passion!

Some big plans ahead that's for sure, nothing even close for me to that lot!

Quite the difference between a Voyager and MK4 agreed, never done First Class in a MK4 but it does look amazing in comparison!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It sounds like you had a nice time. But I don't really understand why you would book a tour on a 159 when there are loads in passenger service (and there are lots of Portsmouth bound trains to connect with the Isle of Wight.

Terrible news on the 220 front though. That must have been awful!

adrock1976

Established Member
As I only require 8 Scotrail Class 170s, plus a small handful of 158s and over 20 156s, I decided to focus on the Caledonian Railway main line north of my residential address. Even though there would be a high chance of everything being dud, it would also allow me to clear some shacks in the process too. Furthermore, this would be a dry run for when the IC125s are eventually transferred up here, which would put me in a reasonably good position for some quickfire rapid cranking, or as quickfire and rapid as it gets for stations north of Perth.

It was a short walk to one of my local stations Barnhill, where I hopped aboard the 09:16 What's it called? Cumbernauld service, formed of dud 334010 (all electric trains that normally run via both Glasgow Central and Queen Street low levels are all dud). As I knew that the Falkirk Grahamston service runs 7 or 8 minutes behind along the common section between Springburn and Cumbernauld, I decided to alight at Gartcosh as I've never done that one before, but have called at it several times since it reopened in a different location. It is a station that it's best not to hang around for longer than necessary, as it is in a windswept location with the sound of motorway traffic zooming by. Anyway, it was soon onboard the 09:40 Falkirk Grahamston service, which was formed by dud 158732 for the trip to Camelon. Furthermore, it should also be noted that the preparation works are underway for the electrification project north of Cumbernauld to Greenhill Junction, although no masts have been installed yet as I write.

After crossing to the opposite platform, it was onboard the 10:11 Dunblane service, formed by dud 170476 for the trip to Bridge of Allan. Again, this is a station I've called at a few times, but never boarded or alighted here. It was over a 10 minute fester before the 10:41 Glasgow Queen Street – Inverness service arrived 5 minutes behind schedule, which was formed of dud 170412 for the trip to Pitlochry. As I had a 30 minute break here before my next move, I had a wander into town before heading back to the station for the 12:24 Edinburgh Waverley service to the next stop at Dunkeld & Birnam. This was a trio of 158s, with winner 158736 leading with dud 705 in the centre and dud 739 at the rear. However, this was 10 minutes late departing due to waiting for the northbound service to Inverness to pass at the station.

Upon arrival at Dunkeld & Birnam, it was a careful step down to the platform. My thought was as these are low platforms, they might just be the right height for Eurostar or European trains to run international services from mainland Europe to Inverness if a high speed route is ever built north of Perth. Anyway, that's my fantasy over, and it was a gentle saunter into the village and returning back to the station via Beatrix Potter Gardens to board the 13:29 Inverness service to Blair Atholl, formed by dud 170407. It was then out to the main road and to a convenience store for some lunch before heading back to the station to board the 14:20 Edinburgh Waverley service southbound to Perth, which was formed of dud 170410.

At Perth, it was along the platform, up some stairs to a footbridge, across the track and down to another platform, then up some more stairs, over another bridge, and down to Platform 1 for the 15:16 Aberdeen – Glasgow Queen Street service southbound to Stirling, which was formed by dud 170418. As there was 8 minutes connection time between these trains, I would not fancy doing this interchange in a hurry if there are any delays. Between Perth and Dunblane, the engine was screaming in a high pitched tone, then disappeared after a couple of minutes, then sounded like it had conked out on the uphill gradient. After consulting the timetable upon arrival at Stirling, I realised that I could do a quick hop to Bridge of Allan and back for my next intended move, so as to try to land at least one more winning unit. I hopped on the 15:55 northbound service to Bridge of Allan, formed by dud 170474, before crossing to the southbound platform for the 16:09 back to Stirling, formed of dud 170427. It was on the slightly delayed 16:25 Edinburgh Waverley – Dunblane service all the way to the end, formed of now super dud 170476, which had the original Strathclyde PTE design of seat covers.

After a short fester at Dunblane, it was onboard the 16:50 northbound service to a windswept Gleneagles, which was formed of dud 170470. It was over to the southbound platform for the 17:09 southbound service to Dunblane, formed of dud 170412. It was then a short wait for the slightly delayed 17:37 southbound service for the short hop to Stirling, formed by dud 170457. As I had over a 20 minute break before my next intended move, I had a glance in the adjacent platform to see what was on the Alloa – Glasgow QS service. This was a 156 and 158 coupled together, but both were dud, and therefore ruled out a short hop south to Larbert.

It was then onboard the 18:07 Edinburgh Waverley service to Camelon, formed by a pair of dud 158s (158727 and 868), where it was over to the opposite platform for my last shot of a second winning unit today for the 18:25 Glasgow QS via Cumbernauld service. Unfortunately, it was dud 170427 that did the honours and I ditched it at Stepps, as I've never boarded or alighted there before. The 18:58 Dalmuir service was delayed by 12 minutes and formed by dud 334040, and upon arrival at Springburn, it was announced that it would be running non-stop to Glasgow QS. I bailed at Springburn, and as I am roughly equidistant between both Springburn and Barnhill stations, it makes no difference anyway as to which one I use.

Overall, although I only managed to land one winning unit, and still require 8 170s, it was a worthwhile cranking exercise. I would not fancy going north of Perth towards Inverness to crank out the future IC125s, and will most likely stick to Waverley – Haymarket or Kirkcaldy and Larbert or Stirling – Dunblane. On a final point, with the exception of Shieldmuir and Lockerbie, I have now stood on the platforms of every station between Preston and Inverness via London & North Western Railway/Caledonian Railway route that “The Clansman” used to take.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A nicely productive time there, even though there was only one winner. I'm jealous of your moves as I need 158868, the only former Wessex Trains 158 I need.

Certainly you've done a lot better north of the border than I have, I will have to rectify that somewhat next year!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I imagine that you two are doing much better up there than me though! My Scotrail units are just 3 class 380s. And the shacks are Waverley, North Berwick, Inverness and Dundee.

Established Member
certainly a few of them units are needed from my point of view, like the lads said, an interesting day out on the rails, shame there was only 1 winner, least you managed to scratch that one. Also if you see 156457, please send it to the North East to see me.;)

adrock1976

Established Member
Although I participated in the West Yorkshire challenge back in August 2014 (I remember Kite159 was the only other member to team up with me, due to both of us purchasing the train only version before the start of the challenge, and as I already drew up a plan based on that), I decided to revisit this area with the main intention of getting as many of the 333s as possible, and also definitely landing a couple of 155s as well. Some of the Pacer fleet would be desirable too, so as to make a dent in reducing the required units further. Also, it transpires to be the day before my birthday too, so it could be interpreted as an early birthday treat for myself too. Furthermore, another intention was to complete the triangle from Halifax to Brighouse as I've already done the other two sides, and also to complete the triangle from Brighouse to Deighton/Huddersfield as I've already done the other two sides there too. As the Anytime fare via Appleby is exactly the same from my local station to Burley Park as it is to Leeds City, I chose Burley Park as that would push me over the start time of 09:30 for the rover ticket, and got both at Glasgow Central the previous day.

After some kip, I got up just before 03:30 and was out of the door twenty minutes later for the predominantly downhill walk to Glasgow Central and sauntering towards Platform 1. The 04:28 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway service was formed by 390123 “Virgin Glory” for the run to Carlisle Citadel via Bellshill and the Wishaw Deviation route, rejoining the Caledonian Main Line at Law Junction, Carluke. It was then onboard the 05:50 Leeds via Appleby service, formed by 153315 and 158795. It started to become daylight when passing through Dent station. Although I have travelled this route several times before, I was going to do something different and alight at Skipton to do some linear cranking towards Leeds, so as to increase my 333s from a paltry two.

At Skipton, it was along to the bay platform on the London side for the 08:00 Bradford FS service, formed by 333011 for the very short hop to the next station, Cononley. It was then on the 08:18 Leeds service, formed by 333010 to Keighley, where it was a 10 minute fester for the 08:37 service from Lancaster to Leeds, formed by 142092 for the short hop to Bingley. It was then onboard the 08:51 service to Bradford FS, formed by 333002 for a hop to Saltaire. It is noted that the weather was quite showery at this stage, so I hung about in the traditional stone shelter that you would find as a bus stop in the countryside. I finished this cranking spell for the time being by hopping on the 09:02 service to Leeds, which was formed by 333013.

Upon arrival into Platform 9 at Leeds City, it was across to Platform 1 via the older looking footbridge at the York side of the station via a walk along Platform 8 for me to crank out the five standard pattern diagrams on the Leeds – York via Harrogate line. It was then onboard the 09:29 York via Harrogate service to Headingley, formed by 142005 and 142087. It was then a walk via Kirkstall Lane, St Annes Drive, and Beechwood Crescent to Burley Park in the heavy showers, which although Google Maps stated a walking time of 18 minutes, I did it in 12, while not losing sight of the railway line. After a 10 minute fester on the York bound platform, it was onboard the 10:04 Knaresborough service to Weeton, formed by 155347 and 153332. It was then down, under, and up to the Leeds platform for the 10:28 Knaresborough – Leeds service to Horsforth, formed by 155343.

As it was still heavy showers and if I had my thinking cap on, I could have abandoned my next intended move as the 10:42 service to York was formed by dud 150211 (the turquoise square door buttons inside) but hopped on it for another run to Weeton instead, and back on the 10:58 York – Leeds service all the way to Leeds (picking up mainly students at Headingley and Burley Park), formed by dud 150110. Upon arrival at Leeds, it was a gentle saunter to Platform 11 for the 12 minutes late departing 11:35 Huddersfield via Bradford Interchange service to Bramley (Yorkshire), formed by 144017. It was then onto the 11:58 Manchester Victoria service, which was a few minutes behind the previous service and was formed by 158907 for the run to Mytholmroyd via Bradford Interchange, where it ran 5 minutes behind schedule afterwards due to the previous train in front waiting to clear the platform. At Mytholmroyd, it was a walk down the long ramp and under the bridge, then halfway up the road to the car park and up some steps to the Leeds platform – not recommended to do in a hurry if there are tight connections. Anyway, it was a short wait for the 12:52 Leeds via Bradford Interchange service, formed by dud 142036 and a nice warm 150268 so as my jacket could dry out a bit for the hop to Halifax.

I had a short wander outside the station as the showers had stopped, and went back in to purchase a tea from the kiosk. It was back down to the platform for the 13:20 Huddersfield service, formed by 142028. It should be noted that I have now completed all three sides of the two triangular junctions either side of Brighouse. It was then to Platform 4 for the 13:59 local all stations except Cottingley to Leeds service, formed by 150148 for the two station hop to Ravensthorpe, then over to the opposite platform for the 14:17 Huddersfield service to the next station Deighton, formed by 144014. It was up the long ramp and over the bridge and down to the opposite platform for the 14:34 Wakefield Westgate service, formed by dud 150275 for the crawl along to Wakefield Kirkgate, where due to a slight delay I had a mad sprint down the ramp and underneath and up another long ramp to Platform 2 for the 15:05 all stations Sheffield service to Darton, formed by now super dud 144021.

Soon after passing Horbury Junction, 20305 and 20308 was on the railhead treatment train coming from the direction of Barnsley. At Darton, I had a wander to the Co-op for a meal deal and back to the station for the 15:38 Leeds via Castleford service, formed by dud 142050 to Wakefield Kirkgate. The 15:58 non-stop service to Leeds behind it was formed by 158797 where upon arrival at Leeds, I visited the lavatory on the centre platforms before I started to resume cranking 333s on my way home.

It was over to Platform 3, passing both the holograms (I had fantasies of one day somebody with a basketball would “accidentally” lose control of it and the ball would hit the machine just to shut it up) to board the 16:38 Bradford FS service to Shipley, formed by 333014. It was then a long walk to Platform 2 for the slightly delayed 16:58 Morecambe service to Bingley, formed by a very busy now super dud 142028, where I was lucky in that I saw passengers on the southbound platform meaning that the 17:07 Leeds service was slightly delayed, so quickly went over the bridge to board 333016 back to Shipley. Again, it was a hike that seemed to last forever as I made my way from Platform 1 to Platform 4 for the 17:26 Bradford FS service to the next stop Frizinghall, which was formed by dud 333005 (I landed this on the West Yorkshire challenge alongside with 333009, making it my paltry 2 333s before today).

At Frizinghall, it was out and over the bridge and across the road before going down to the opposite platform, where I looked at the departure screen. I was intending to get the 17:33 Leeds service back to Shipley, but when I saw that it was now fresh dud 333016, I gave that one a miss. While waiting for the 17:41 Skipton service, I spotted 321903 heading to Bradford FS, which was a surprise. Anyway, the 17:41 Skipton service was almost super dud 333005 which took me to Saltaire (it was my intention to pick this up at Shipley had I got the 17:33 Leeds service), where it was an 8 minute fester for the 17:57 Skipton service, formed by 321903 that I spotted at Frizinghall half an hour ago or so. I alighted at Crossflatts for a 15 minute fester before boarding the 18:17 Skipton service (and my final 333 of the day), 333015 for the short hop to Steeton & Silesdon and bringing the day's bashing and cranking to an end.

It was a short fester at Steeton & Silesdon for the 18:34 Leeds – Carlisle via Appleby service, which was formed by 158794 for the run to Carlisle Citadel. This arrived a few minutes early and as I glanced at the screens along the platform, I noticed that the 20:47 Glasgow Central service was a couple of minutes behind schedule, so rapidly dashed across to Platform 3 to board dud 390153 “Mission Accomplished” for the uneventful run back to Glasgow Central and across to Queen Street for the 22:15 to Springburn, which was obviously dud 334031. It is noted that the next departure from Carlisle Citadel would have been the 21:51, so it saved me the long fester. Also, before going down to the low level at Queen Street, I took a look to see what was on the 22:24 Alloa diverted via Cumbernauld service, but that was a dud 156 so declined that one.

Overall, I've managed to tear into the 333s, and have a total of 9 so far (more than 50%), and have managed to get the 2 155s that work the Leeds – Knaresborough diagrams. Furthermore, I've managed to complete the missing sides of both the triangular junctions either side of Brighouse, and have travelled along the complete route of the Manchester & Leeds Railway by bashing the section between Mirfield and Wakefield Kirkgate. The sections of track that I will do in the future will be the Pontefract and Knottingley/Goole section, as I've not done that area yet due to there not being so many friendly connections to and from other routes in the area.

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
At Leeds, did you take any luggage onto the escalator? :lol:

A good day trip by the looks of things, especially given the trains travelled on.

What were your opinions on the 333s?

Established Member
Cracking read, good to read your plan came together. Quite fitting after your success completing the track coverage and gethering up more 333's that you got "Mission Accomplished" back over the Border.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Welcome to the Leeds Train ;)

A good read and a good day, I assume that is all the stations between Skipton & Leeds covered (leaving the intermediate stations towards illkey in 333 land,?)

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A rather long day, but very much worth it by the looks of it! Most productive and some decent variety too.

I daresay an Anytime fare to Leeds from Glasgow must be pretty expensive!

Kristofferson

Just caught up on your last 3 trips :)

The Isle of Wight sounds like a great time - and happy belated birthday!

adrock1976

Established Member
I've been a bit busy in the last couple of weeks and have now had the chance to reply to some comments.

Just caught up on your last 3 trips :)

The Isle of Wight sounds like a great time - and happy belated birthday!

Yes it was indeed for both of us. Also, it was a pleasant sunny day too!

A rather long day, but very much worth it by the looks of it! Most productive and some decent variety too.

I daresay an Anytime fare to Leeds from Glasgow must be pretty expensive!

It is not that expensive if you specify "Route Appleby" when booking. The fare was £36 with a student railcard. This worked out the cheapest option after investigating Carlisle - Leeds had no Advances available at the time.

Welcome to the Leeds Train ;)

A good read and a good day, I assume that is all the stations between Skipton & Leeds covered (leaving the intermediate stations towards illkey in 333 land,?)

I have indeed covered all the stations between Leeds/Bradford FS to Skipton, and only require the intermediate stations towards Ilkley. Also, both Apperley Bridge and Kirkstall Forge when they are operational.

That was a very productive day! Did you have a good birthday the day after?

I did have an enjoyable birthday the day after, where I celebrated the 18th anniversary of me being 21 (or celebrating 21 years of being 18) :)

Cracking read, good to read your plan came together. Quite fitting after your success completing the track coverage and gethering up more 333's that you got "Mission Accomplished" back over the Border.

I only require 7 333s to clear the fleet, which I can do next time.

At Leeds, did you take any luggage onto the escalator? :lol:

A good day trip by the looks of things, especially given the trains travelled on.

What were your opinions on the 333s?

As I was down and back in a day, there was no requirement for me to have any luggage on the escalator :). The 333s are quite spacious inside, and I am aware that they were specifically designed for the routes that they operate on (most, if not all station stops less than 5 minutes apart, and quick acceleration from a standing start). Perhaps a similar design (maybe Class 343) could be used for the Midland Railway metals south of Manchester for the local routes that run to Rose Hill Marple and New Mills Central, to displace the Class 142 Pacers? Also, these could be used for the Midland Railway local all stations services north of Sheffield as well.

Agreed with Techni, a very interesting day :)

And like techni my Scottish shacks are lacking outside Glasgow

Equally, you could say that in my case there's quite a lot I need south of the mighty Thames, due to me not really venturing into those areas very often :)

A nicely productive time there, even though there was only one winner. I'm jealous of your moves as I need 158868, the only former Wessex Trains 158 I need.

Certainly you've done a lot better north of the border than I have, I will have to rectify that somewhat next year!

It was a handy exercise in itself, so as to have a dry run for when the IC125s eventually arrive. It's the amount of festering and not getting much done in between that has made me decide just to stick to Waverley/Haymarket or Glasgow QS - Stirling and Dunblane cranking. Plus if there is any disruption during the course of the day, I can easily change tactics without losing too many options if I'm south of Perth or Dunblane to help get back on track (pardon the pun) with my plans.

Although I'm originally from the West Midlands (Cradley Heath was my local station), I've never covered the track between Great Malvern and Hereford, nor between Droitwich Spa and Barnt Green (it was an irregular service in the late 1980s/early 1990s between Droitwich Spa and Barnt Green back then). Also, the Hendesford - Rugeley Town and Trent Valley (and onwards to Stafford to begin with before being truncated) remains uncovered as that section reopened after I left the West Midlands in the late 1990s.

The only section of track I require in Scotland is the Newcraighall - Tweedbank section, and I only require station calls at Dunrobin Castle and Portlethen.

If you ever arrive at Springburn or Barnhill, I will have a flask of tea ready for you :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite a reasonable fare then all things considered. I'm not due to be in your area for a good long while yet, my moves to Glasgow next month will only be a quick visit for a meal and probably a pint before heading to a hotel, ready to be up at silly o'clock for the 0426 from Central.

I'm looking forward to HSTs on ScotRail, but of course will miss them down my way!

adrock1976

Established Member
With the recent news that the 442s are to be gradually withdrawn, and with me being down in London for a conference the same weekend, I decided to attempt to crank out the 442s that continue south of Gatwick Airport, as I've never rode that class before (I'm aware that the 442s are nicknamed “plastic pigs”, but anything that relates to pigs I'll leave that to the PM David Cameron, due to him having a very strange fetish with pigs years ago). Also, while I'm down in that neck of the woods, I also decided to crank out the 313s that run on London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway metals as well.

After leaving my partner's flat in Paisley the previous night, it was to Gilmour Street for the 22:53 Glasgow Central service, which was formed of a dud 380 (I only require 380004 to clear the class) for the non-stop run. It was to Platform 10 for the 23:40 sleeper to London Euston via Trent Valley Railway. This was hauled by 90042 to London, with 87002 "Royal Artillery” having brought in the set from Polmadie. Initially, I was booked into Mike 05, but was swapped to 09 due to a group booking, and I had the cabin to myself. According to RTT website, arrival into London was 40 minutes early at 06:26. Upon arrival at Euston and after waking up, I made my way to the Victoria Line to head to Victoria station, collect the Daysave and a single from the machine before heading to the Wetherspoons on the mezzanine level for a large vegetarian breakfast and tea.

I made my way to the platform for the 09:02 Portsmouth Harbour and Bognor Regis service via Redhill and Horsham, formed by dud 377148 leading with winner 377411 in the middle and dud 377425 as the rear unit for the short hop to Clapham Junction, then using the same platform for the 09:14 Brighton service to East Croydon, formed by triple winners 377104+461+106. During the short fester at ECR, I had spotted 442402+411 passing through non-stop – would I land these later on today I wonder? It was then on the 09:32 Littlehampton and Eastbourne avoiding Redhill service to Gatwick Airport, formed by some more triple winners 377424+451+404, where at GTW it was across to Platform 3 from Platform 7 for the 09:53 Horsham service to Ifield, formed by even some more triple winners 377421+141+447, which would be my last expected triple 377 formation for the time being. At Ifield, it was across to the opposite platform for the 10:09 London Bridge service, formed by 377102 plus dud 377124 for the short hop to Crawley.

It was then across to the opposite platform for the 10:18 Southampton Central and Bognor Regis service that was delayed by 7 minutes, formed by double winners 377446+153. I went into the rear of 446 to Horsham, transferring into 153 after arriving at Horsham for the run to Bognor Regis, calling at all stations. I remained on 377153 at Bognor Regis for the 11:30 departure for short run back north to Barnham. It is noted that at Horsham, 98116 was spotted in the sidings while at Bognor Regis, 377425+411 (both dud) were spotted sitting in Platform 1. Furthermore, I have now covered the track between Barnham and Bognor Regis, as it was my intention to have done that back in March, but left that section out due to a cancellation of a service while festering at Redhill so as to get back on schedule.

At Barnham, it was time for some Class 313 cranking, so it was onboard the 11:42 Brighton - Portsmouth Harbour service, formed by dud 313207 for the short run to one of the administrative centres (and in particular, the western side) of Sussex – the historic cathedral city of Chichester. It was a gentle saunter across to the opposite platform for the 12:00 Portsmouth Harbour – Brighton service, formed by 313211 back to Barnham, before hopping on the 12:12 service to Bognor Regis and back on 377440, afterwards crossing to Platform 3 for the 12:45 Portsmouth & Southsea – Littlehampton service for the short hop to Ford, formed by 313212.

It was then across to the opposite platform for the slightly delayed 12:58 Littlehampton – Portsmouth & Southsea service to Nutbourne, formed by 313203, using the level crossing to get to the opposite platform for the slightly delayed 13:28 Portsmouth & Southsea – Littlehampton service back to Ford, formed by dud 313213. It was then over to the opposite platform for the 13:58 Littlehampton – Portsmouth & Southsea service, formed to my surprise by 377159 (I was expecting a 313) for the short hop westbound to Barnham. I then went to Platform 3 for the 14:08 Portsmouth Harbour – Brighton service to Shoreham-by-Sea, formed by313219, then crossing to the opposite platform for the 14:39 Brighton – West Worthing local all stations service westbound to Lancing, formed by dud 313214. After crossing (via the level crossing) to the eastbound platform, I noticed something strange regarding the wheelchair ramps for the train – platform interface in that there was one for Class 455 + 456, also Class 313 and 319, with the second ramp being for Class 377 and 171, also Class 455. Both of these ramps were exactly the same height when folded, and also could hold the exact same weight load according to both labels. I'll post a query in the Infrastructure and Stations section of the forum to see if any more light can be shed on this weird phenomenon.

Anyway, it was onboard the 14:47 WWO – BTN eastbound to Fishersgate, formed by 313215, then onboard the slightly delayed 15:03 BTN – WWO service westbound to East Worthing, formed by 313205. It was now apparent that during the fester here at East Worthing, I had hit the school run, and both the westbound and eastbound platforms were starting to fill up with school students. However, it seemed that it was the local all stations service that most of them were waiting for. My next move was the 15:37 Littlehampton – London Victoria service (one of the irregular London services to call at East Worthing, and saves me sprinting to Worthing station or having a 30 minute fester in the future) eastbound to Hove, formed by dud 377424, changing onto the 15:54 local short shuttle service to Brighton, formed by 313202.

At Brighton, it was across to Platform 8 for the 16:10 Seaford service to Falmer, formed by dud 313204, then across to the opposite platform for the 16:21 Seaford – BTN service down the hill westbound to Moulsecoomb, formed by 313210, then crossing to the opposite platform for the 16:27 BTN – Lewes local shuttle back uphill eastbound to Falmer, formed by dud 313206, then back downhill on the 16:36 Ore – BTN service to London Road Brighton, formed by dud 377404. I had a 15 minute fester here before boarding the 16:57 Seaford – BTN service for the short hop downhill and round the corner to Brighton, knowing that it would definitely be a winner due to me having landed 5 313s back in March, and having landed all 5 duds. It was 313201, with this being my final 313 diagram I've intended to crank today, taking me round the corner to Brighton with the main part of the crankfest looming next – the Class 442s.

It was then to Platform 6 for the 17:06 London Bridge service, formed by 442418+421, breaking my virginity with this class. I enjoyed the ride to Haywards Heath, due to there being a spacious interior when compared to Class 220/221 Voyagers. At Haywards Heath, it was across the island platform for the 17:22 BTN – Bedford service to Three Bridges, formed by 387128+112+117 and also losing my virginity with this class too. Then it was onto the 17:43 Three Bridges – Bedford service to Gatwick Airport, formed by to my surprise dud 377507 leading with 377211 on the rear (I was expecting a 319 – perhaps this diagram is now intended to be either a 377 or 387).

I gently made my way through the crowds at GTW to Platform 7 for the slightly delayed 18:04 VIC – BTN service to Haywards Heath, formed by 442405+423, where it was a 10 minute or so fester for the slightly delayed 18:27 VIC – BTN service to Hassocks, formed by 442407+410. It was a rapid dash underneath to the northbound platform just in time for the 18:38 London Bridge service, formed by 387120+124 to Haywards Heath. It was then to the southbound island platform for the 19:07 LBG – Eastbourne service to Wivelsfield, but it was slightly delayed and it was 442421+418 that I already had earlier, so gave that a miss and decided to take a wander to the convenience store for something to eat, then back to the station and onto the northbound platform to pick up the service I would have got (if successful in pulling off a 3 minute now -1 connection) at Wivelsfield.

Anyway, it was onboard the 19:19 VIC service to GTW, formed by winner 377112 and dud 377439, then to Platform 7 for the 19:54 BTN – VIC avoiding Redhill service, formed by 442422+419 for the non-stop run to East Croydon. Here it was a 15 minute now 20 minute fester for the slightly delayed 20:27 BTN – VIC service to Clapham Junction, formed by 442411+402, which I saw passing through ECR earlier on this morning. It was Platform 12 at CLJ that it arrived in, with the 20:43 BTN service having arrived into Platform 13, and not being the same island and therefore ruling out a rapid sprint up the stairs and along the bridge then down to the platform, I let that one go. However, as I already had a note of the times of the diagrams, I would get that later on.

After consulting the timetable, it was then onboard the 20:52 CLJ – Littlehampton & Hastings service to ECR, formed by dud 377115 with winners 377422+414, then back to CLJ on the 21:11 VIC service, formed by duds 377425+411. I got myself an Earl Grey tea during the fester, then it was onboard the 21:43 BTN service, formed by 442406+416 for the run to ECR, then for the final move to VIC on the 22:26, formed by 442409+401, arriving at 22:46 – an extra 90 minutes later than intended but worthwhile so as to land 4 winning 442s, making it me having landed 14 out of 24 in one evening's work. It was then down to the District/Circle Line for a District Line service to Gloucester Road, as I do not ever recall boarding or alighting there, before hopping on a Circle Line train to Bayswater, where I would be staying this weekend.

All in all, this was a worthwhile exercise, and I perceive it as being a productive one with favourable results, in particular, me losing my virginity by riding plastic pigs for the first time (just don't tell David Cameron:)) and landing a lot of the fleet, only requiring 10 more. I have also lost my virginity again with the Class 387s as well. Also, I've managed to do the Barnham – Bognor Regis track as I dropped that section last time, and have got 14 out of 15 standard pattern Class 313 diagrams, meaning that I have landed 14 out of the 19 313s that operate on LB&SCR metals. I have also covered all stations between Brighton and Lewes as well. Furthermore, I will be back to do the Ewell East – Horsham track, and the Redhill – Tonbridge, and Upper Warlingham – East Grinstead/Uckfield lines too.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow that was an intense day! Extremely productive too with more winners than you can shake a stick at! Thoroughly enjoyable by the looks of it too.

James Wake

Such a good read, and I'm glad the network didn't break. Although I did notice that you started on the 0902 off VIC, which I presume you had the more expensive Peak DaySave for, also a few TL services which aren't covered in DaySaves, I hope they will soon. Glad you enjoyed your day down on the Southern.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Although having read it again, seems you got a single down to Three Bridges or Ifield or somewhere to start the DaySave after 10. Good work on avoiding that annoying restriction out of London, Clapham Junction and East Croydon in the peak, joining the 442s at Gatwick or further south.

adrock1976

Established Member
As my meeting in Holloway Road was not until 2PM, I decided to go for a spin into the London & South Western Railway abyss i.e. the area between London Zone 6 and the first point that the traditional rovers and rangers cover their metals. As I've never covered the track between Brookwood and Alton, Ascot and Ash Vale, Ewell West and Dorking/Effingham Junction, and Surbiton to Guildford via Cobham and Stoke d'Abernon, I decided to concentrate on Ascot – Ash Vale and the line to Alton. Also, it would be my intention to fit in the Weybridge – Virginia Water line, as although I did the diversions via Staines last year, the Weybridge – Addlestone side of the triangle remains uncovered for me.

After an early rise and making a flask of tea, it was to Queensway for the Central Line to Oxford Circus and changing to the Bakerloo Line to Waterloo. After collecting various tickets out of the machine and as I had some extra time, I made my way to Platform 3 for the 07:16 Chessington South service to the next stop Vauxhall, which was formed by 456002 and 455731. It was the same platform where I boarded the 07:24 Woking service (where I intended to board this at WAT), formed by 455709+455740+456013 for the run to Weybridge. I eventually made my way through the slow moving crowd over the bridge from Platform 3 to Platform 1 to board the 08:03 (the school run to Addlestone and Chertsey) London Waterloo via Hounslow service, formed by 458525 to Virginia Water for a rapid dash from Platform 3 to Platform 1 via the footbridge for the 08:19 Reading – Waterloo service just pulling into the platform, formed by 450126+103 for a short hop to Egham.

It was then across to the opposite platform via the footbridge and not the level crossing (so as to avoid being trapped and thwarting the remaining plans for the morning) to participate in some mini linear cranking to board the slightly delayed 08:27 Reading service to Longcross, formed by 450034+092. It was a short fester here in the middle of nowhere out in the countryside before boarding the slightly delayed 08:54 Reading service to Sunningdale, formed by winning 450036 and dud 450040. It was less than a 10 minute fester for the 09:07 Reading service, formed by 458021+016 to Ascot, where it was via the narrow subway to the opposite side for the 09:23 Guildford via Camberley service to Ash Vale, which was formed by 456022+003.

As it was a 25 minute fester at Ash Vale, I had a quick wander to the nearby Tesco to stock up on lunch, then headed back to the station. It was onboard the 10:14 Alton service omitting Bentley, which was formed by 450545+119 that I took all the way to the end of the line, then over the footbridge to the opposite platform at Alton for the 10:44 to Brookwood (also calling at Bentley), which was formed by dud 450079 and winners 450025+089. It was then across to the opposite platform for a short fester before boarding the 11:25 WAT – Basingstoke local all stations (from Woking), formed by 450124+042 for the short hop to Farnborough Main, where I had another short fester before I boarded the 11:45 Portsmouth Harbour service to Basingstoke, which was formed by 444022 and making it my second Class 444 that I've landed.

Upon arrival at Basingstoke, I made my way to Platform 5 for the 12:06 Reading local shuttle service for a short hop to Bramley (Hampshire). The intention was to see if I could land 150001, as I've already had 150002 before, so as to have cleared both of the 1984 prototypes. When I saw the train arriving into the platform, it was indeed 150001 that would be taking me one stop, with a 99.9 % chance that it would be dud 150002 that would bring me back to Basingstoke on the 12:23 from Bramley. At Bramley, it was a gentle saunter to the opposite platform – the only means of crossing the track is the level crossing, which the barriers raise after the northbound train has departed. When the slightly delayed 12:23 rolled in, it was indeed dud 150002 that took me the short hop south to Basingstoke.

After arriving at Basingstoke, I glanced across to Platform 3 as that was where the 12:35 Waterloo service was due to arrive, but decided against that due to the large volume of passengers there. I decided to wait for the 12:43 as intended, which was formed by 444039, calling at Fleet, Farnborough Main, and Clapham Junction. Arrival at Waterloo was at 13:38 – 4 minutes behind schedule. It was then to Highbury & Islington via Bakerloo Line to Oxford Circus, then Victoria Line to HHY and a walk along Holloway Road to my meeting venue.

When my meeting finished around 17:30, I decided to head to London Bridge via Victoria Line to Euston and Northern Line to London Bridge so as to take a look at which pair of 442s were working the 18:23 Eastbourne service. After the hike from the Northern Line platforms to the London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway side and onto Platform 11, I was rewarded with winners 442412+424 (after consulting my sheet of required 442s) for a spin to East Croydon. The train began to slow down and come to a halt at Windmill Bridge Junction, and it was announced that there were delays due to animals on the line in the Thornton Heath area, resulting in the power being switched off. Eventually, it was on the move again and eventually arriving into East Croydon 12 minutes late, where it became apparent the station staff and the signallers were doing their best to clear the backlog of the trains that became blocked either side of the station, and to get trains moving again.

It was time to consult my sheet of the 442 diagrams, and noticed that there was a 19:57 Brighton – VIC service, so hung around to see what that would be. However, it was a dud pair that I landed the previous evening, so gave that a miss and to see what would be on the 20:11. Sadly, it was announced that the 20:11 to VIC was cancelled, and I hoped that it too would have been a pair of duds. I then decided to hop on the 25 minutes delayed 19:42 VIC service, which was formed by a winning trio of 377443+435+445 for a run to Clapham Junction. It was then on the 15 minutes delayed 20:10 to VIC, which was formed by a winning duo of 377114+108.

It was quickly over to Platform 17 to see which pairs of 442s were working the 20:37 BTN service, but were dud so gave that a miss. I then decided to see what was on the 20:44 Gatwick Airport Express, again, that was dud as well as the 20:59 being dud too. I made my way to Platform 19 for the 21:07 BTN service, with me being rewarded with winners 442417+413 for the short trip to CLJ. I then made my way to Platform 12 to see a dud 442 passing through non-stop with a GX service, before boarding the 10 minutes delayed 21:10 VIC service, formed by duds 377102+411. After seeing a pair of dud 442s in Platform 15 on the 21:37 BTN service, I decided to take a gamble and purchased a couple of Boundary Zone 6 – GTW returns from the machine, and had it in my mind that I was going to get the 21:44 GX service, regardless if it was a dud or not.

I was delighted when after passing the gateline to Platform 14, I was rewarded with winners 442420+414 for the non-stop run to GTW. It was then immediately across from Platform 6 to 5 to be rewarded with another winner in the form of 442415 for the 22:20 service to VIC. Knowing that the 23:15 GX departure would have been the pair I recently travelled on 90 minutes earlier, I decided to get an Earl Grey tea and have a fester to see what was on the 23:45 GX. This would be my last chance to land a winning 442 if I was going to have another quick spin to GTW. I was pleased that I was rewarded with winner 442404 for the run to GTW, and returning back on the same unit departing GTW at 00:35 to VIC, which was heavily loaded. As the Underground had finished for the day, it was a short walk to Grosvenor Gardens to board the 148 back to Queensway via Park Lane and Bayswater Road, with the journey being reasonably quick.

Overall, I'm happy in that I've covered some new track during the morning's bashing section that can be tricky and lengthy time-wise in doing so. It was my intention to score Longcross, as I've never been on a train that has called there, and although it has several trains that call there during the day, it appears to be random with no pattern in particular. The last time I travelled on a Waterloo – Reading service beyond Staines was back in 2009 and 2010 when I stewarded at Reading Festival, so as to avoid large crowds on the faster service from Paddington. I do not ever recall having called at Sunningdale, so decided to score that as well. The 25 minute fester to change from the Ascot – Guildford service to the Waterloo – Alton service seems a bit ridiculous to me, and I believe that it should ideally be the other way round, so as to provide better local connections to and from Ascot. On the other hand, I have managed to tear into some more 450s by taking the my total up to 19 out of 127, and have increased my 444s from a lonely 1 to 3 so far, while trying out the 456s to start off with. Additionally, I have also landed 150001 so as to clear both the 1984 prototypes as intended.

In regards to the evening cranking session, this was totally random and only decided when I was returning back to London from Basingstoke earlier on. Again, I found it to be a useful exercise despite the disruption as I've landed another 8 442s, bringing up the total to 22 out of 24 so far. I'm now probably getting fed up of the sight of East Croydon station, and won't be back there for a while at least until the spring next year.

Kristofferson

Finish off the last 442s before they disappear! Which reminds me, I should probably make that lunchtime GEX bash a reality one day...

444s are a strange breed. Neither intercity nor commuter, with a lot of wasted space (unused snack bar, unused TM office...)

Status
Not open for further replies.