• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adrock's trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Finish off the last 442s before they disappear! Which reminds me, I should probably make that lunchtime GEX bash a reality one day...

444s are a strange breed. Neither intercity nor commuter, with a lot of wasted space (unused snack bar, unused TM office...)

And for stock which serves major(ish) tourist spots (Bournemouth & Weymouth), plus Southampton Airport, lack luggage space.

Did anybody else get off/board at Longcross? (not the nicest stations to hang around that's for said)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
And for stock which serves major(ish) tourist spots (Bournemouth & Weymouth), plus Southampton Airport, lack luggage space.

Did anybody else get off/board at Longcross? (not the nicest stations to hang around that's for said)

There was one other passenger who alighted the 08:35 arrival with me at Longross, and there were 2 other passengers who boarded the 08:54 with me.

What is your view of the 442s? Should they have remained on the Waterloo - Bournemouth & Poole limited stop services (for what they were originally designed for), or transferred to their present workings on LB&SCR metals?

Kite159

Veteran Member
There was one other passenger who alighted the 08:35 arrival with me at Longross, and there were 2 other passengers who boarded the 08:54 with me.

What is your view of the 442s? Should they have remained on the Waterloo - Bournemouth & Poole limited stop services (for what they were originally designed for), or transferred to their present workings on LB&SCR metals?

Never had the chance to experience a 442 out west, all my experience with them has been with Gatwick Express duties.

Although I might do another day save one Saturday once the new timetable comes in which sees the buggers running down to Brighton twice hourly (great idea for an airport express, ditch the 15 minutes it spends on a platform to allow people to board with luggage and have a few minutes dwell, reduced when it runs late.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A very productive day had there, well done on getting so close to done with the 442s!

Long day mind but well worth it. I see the 456s get used a lot more in London thsn they were, I must remember to take advantage of those one day as I still need plenty of them. The 442s I'm not fussed about, if I get any of them I get 'em but there's more enjoyable things to enjoy!

adrock1976

Established Member
When I checked the NRE website for future engineering works on the weekend I was in London, I noticed the closure of both the London, Chatham, & Dover Railway between Bromley South and Bickley/Petts Wood/Chislehurst Junction, and also the Mid Kent Railway between New Beckenham and Hayes (Kent). On further examination of the revised timetables, I noticed that the services that were running from Charing Cross and Cannon Street to New Beckenham were continuing round the corner to Beckenham Junction. As I've had 2 previous attempts that failed with the former 16:12 Beckenham Junction – Charing Cross via the curve (the first attempt in April 2014 was 95% of me daydreaming when ideally I should have caught Victoria Line from Highbury & Islington to Victoria, instead of using Circle Line from Moorgate to Victoria, where the other 5% resulted in me misjudging the journey time for the transfer. The second attempt in October 2014 was outwith my control, as the Thameslink services on the Midland Railway section decided to run haywire that day, resulting in my plans being delayed by 60 minutes (I was doing a circular trip via Bedford – Bletchley, and unable to do the curve). I've always thought to myself that I would not be defeated in my third attempt, and I'm lucky that I have the Saturday evening to do this section of track.

After the first day of the conference I was at in Camden had ended, I walked down Camden High Street to Mornington Crescent tube station and made my way to Victoria via the cross platform interchange at Euston to Victoria Line. First of all, I decided to go over to Platforms 13 and 14 to see if my two required 442s were on the Gatwick Express. The 18:44 had been cancelled due to a train fault (meaning that the 19:20 return working that forms the 20:14 Victoria – GTW may be cancelled), and it was dud anyway. After festering for almost 75 minutes (I worked out that the Gatwick Express services have 6 diagrams, with the same train that departs Victoria or GTW is seen forming the next departure 90 minutes later), the 18:59, 19:14, 19:29, 19:44, and the 19:59 departures were all duds.

It was over to the London, Chatham, & Dover Railway side of the station for the 20:04 Bromley South service, formed by 465010+243 for the trip to Beckenham Junction, where it was a 20 minute fester for the 20:48 Charing Cross via Lewisham service from Platform 4, formed by 465024+249 to Ladywell via the curve to New Beckenham and onto the Mid Kent Railway. There was now the feeling of relief in that on my third attempt, I've finally covered the Beckenham Junction – New Beckenham curve. Anyway, it was a very gentle walk via the roadbridge to the southbound platform for the 21:11 Beckenham Junction service as far as Lower Sydenham, which was formed by 465047+041. It was then over to the northbound platform for the 21:24 CHX service, formed by dud 465196 and winning 465034 for the one stop short hop to Catford Bridge.

I then exited the station to walk along to Catford station next door for the 21:32 Blackfriars – Bromley South service, formed by 319428 to Bellingham. It was then across to the London platform for the 21:39 Blackfriars service, formed by 319453 to Peckham Rye. On the approach to Peckham Rye, I noticed a multi-story car park that has amateur graffitti on the walls, and gave me the impression that it is not a place to hang around longer than necessary. Anyway, it was across to the opposite platform for the 21:54 Bromley South service, which was formed by dud 319437 for the run back to Catford, and walking next door to Catford Bridge for the 22:14 Beckenham Junction service, formed by 465910+162 via the curve to the journey's end.

As this was the time of evening when the frequency on the LCDR drops from every 15 minutes to every 30 minutes, there was a 20 minute fester before the Victoria service was due, so I had a brief wander outside to find a convenience store for a light snack. It is noted that the units I saw working the 22:28 to Bromley South may be the same ones on the 22:46 Victoria service, so I made a note of those before going for a wander. It was back to the station for the 22:46 Victoria service, which were as I suspected, the pair of units that I saw going to Bromley South. They were 465183+020, which after deciding against bailing at Brixton and picking up the Victoria Line there, I remained onboard all the way to Platform 1 at Victoria. It was then back to my accommodation via Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, and changing to Central Line to Queensway.

After the second day of the conference on Sunday finished at around 16:30 and leaving the venue at just after 16:40, I walked to Kings Cross station via Camden High Street, Crowndale Road, and Pancras Road, arriving onto the main concourse at around 17:10. I had redeemed one of my free 1st Class Rewards Points for the 17:30 Edinburgh Waverley service. As it was not yet advertised which platform it would be departing from, I decided to have a change of route to the platform by means of reaching it from the mezzanine level. This would mean that I would not be caught in the stampede so much after getting the number of the loco at the front. While I was walking along the bridge from the mezzanine level, it was announced that the 17:30 EDB service would be departing from Platform 2, and made my way to Lima coach after getting the loco and DVT numbers to save doing that at EDB if delayed.

It was 91125+DVT 82204 that would take me northbound to EDB. On departure, 67030 was spotted sitting in the siding north of the platforms. There was a slight delay of around 5 minutes or so upon arrival at Waverley, and it was first of all to the west bay platforms from Platforms 8 & 9 via the machine to purchase a single to Springburn. It was then to Platform 14 for the 22:30 Glasgow QS service, which due to the prep works for electrification of the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway, was being diverted via Falkirk Grahamston and the Caledonian Railway and the Glasgow and Garnkirk Railway to Springburn (not calling there though), and re-joining the E&G to Queen Street. As I only require 8 Scotrail Class 170s, I was expecting duds, but to my surprise, it was 170432+434 that would take me to GLQ. It was then onboard the 23:45 Perth service (diverted via Cumbernauld), which was formed of dud 170458 and winner 170411 to take me back up the hill to Springburn and a short walk home.

Overall, it was a fantastic weekend in regard to me having achieved what I had set out and intended to do. I've so far got 14 out of 19 Class 313s that are used on London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway metals, getting 22 out of 24 442s, increasing my winning 377s and 387s, increasing my winning 444s and 450s, plus 455s, 456s, and 458s on London & South Western Railway metals, and most of all, finally getting the chance to do the Beckenham Junction – New Beckenham curve on my third attempt, while landing some more winning 465s and a couple more 319s too. Also, I unexpectedly managed to reduce my required Scotrail Class 170s from 8 down to 5. Perhaps I should venture south of the mighty Thames more often, so as to do the railway network some justice.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yes you should venture south of the Thames into 3rd rail land more often :P

Sounds like a good couple days, congrats on getting that curve :)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Congratulations on getting the curve in at last!

You sure did well down south, and bonus on the 3 170s unexpectedly scored on the final legs of your long journey. I was in London on the day you were going home, I was on the Heathrow branch of the Piccadilly line at the time scoring shacks and many Tube sets.

Definitely you need to come on down to the south more often. Quite, I need to hit the former Southern Region more too, still way too much down there to score for my liking!

adrock1976

Established Member
As I had a conference in Edinburgh the same day, I decided to make use of the re-opened section of the North British Railway Waverley Line/Borders Rail between Edinburgh Waverley and Gorebridge. Owing to time constraints (and line closures of both the Glasgow Central and Queen Street low level routes) to do it in daylight hours, I decided to leave the Gorebridge – Tweedbank section for another day.

It was an early rise and a walk through the park to Springburn station for the 06:46 Falkirk Grahamston – Glasgow QS, formed by 156510 and getting me off to a winning start. After going round the curve and down the hill to GLQ, it was onboard the 07:15 Edinburgh Waverley via Falkirk High service, which was formed by dud 170455. Of note, the 07:00 was dud anyway, so I did not bother to rush for that one, and I also had some leeway as well.

Upon arrival into Platform 1 at Haymarket, I bailed and waited on the same platform for the 08:05 XC Plymouth via Leeds and Birmingham service, which was formed of 43384+43304 for the short hop to Waverley. After purchasing some tea, it was over to Platform 20 for the 08:25 Tweedbank service southwards to Gorebridge, which I believe started in Fife and was formed by dud 170458 with rear dud 158709 detaching before departure. It was a 10 minute fester at Gorebridge for the 09:01 EDB service, which was formed by dud pair 158736+158727 for the northbound run to the journey's end. As I had to meet somebody to show me how things operate in the conference venue, I made my way towards Johnson Terrace, which was where the event was being held.

After the conference finished, I made my way back to the station and hopped onboard the 16:33 London KX – Inverness service to Haymarket, which was formed by duds 43315+43309, before heading back to Waverley on dud 158736. It was onboard the 16:54 Tweedbank service to Shawfair, which was formed by a heavily loaded with standees dud 158732. At Shawfair, it was over the very evil footbridge to the northbound side for the 17:11 EDB service to Brunstane, which was formed by my first winner for the afternoon (and since the SPR – GLQ journey) 158789. It was a fester for the 5 minutes delayed 17:31 Tweedbank service, which was formed by super dud pair from earlier 158727+158736 where I bailed at Eskbank before returning on the 18:07 northbound service to EDB, which was formed by now super dud 158868.

At EDB, I had a wander round to see if I could locate any required 170s and 158s, and had noticed that there was a required Inverness Depot 158 on the 18:56 EDB – GLC via Shotts service sitting in Platform 12, so went for that to head back west. It was dud 158740 leading with the Inverness Depot winner being 158715, where I took a seat in the declassified First Class section for the run to GLC along Caledonian Railway metals after diverging from the E&GR at Haymarket.

It was then a walk thought he city to Queen Street, and for some reason I had the departure time of the Falkirk Grahamston service being at xx21, but it was xx12, so missed the 20:12. I decided to get something to eat before heading back to GLQ to see if my 5 remaining 170s were about, and lo and behold I spotted 3 of them on the GLQ – EDB via FKK. After a quick eyeball at the timetable, it was not possible to do a quick run to Falkirk High and back in time for the 21:12 FKG service back home, so decided against that. It was onboard now super dud 156510 to take me back up the hill to Springburn, ending the day with exactly the same unit I started with. I will be back to do the Gorebridge – Tweedbank section at a later date.

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
The background to this bashing trip was down to recent reports in regard to whether the Northern Rail 323s would be staying with Northern Rail or going elsewhere. At the time I decided to attempt the clearout, it was not yet confirmed that they would be going nowhere in the meantime for a couple of years at least. Furthermore, it would also save me standing on various platforms at Birmingham New Street in the future waiting for my 8 remaining NR 323s to roll in, leaving me to solely concentrate on the 26 that were in the WMPTE/Centro livery when they were introduced on the Lichfield TV – Redditch route back in 1993.

It was an early rise for the mainly downhill walk to Glasgow Central (although there is a bus that takes me to GLC, it arrives 5 minutes before my intended train, therefore I do not fancy taking that gamble so early in the trip) where I had 2 chances of landing winners, those being the 05:40 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway, and the off-pattern 05:50 London Euston via Birmingham NS. I had a glance at both after making my way to Platforms 1 and 2, and lo and behold, they were both winners. I boarded the 05:40, which was formed by 390152 “Virgin Knight” for the run to Carlisle Citadel, passing 67007 at Carstairs and various 37s at Kingmoor. At Carlisle Citadel, 156482 was spotted in Platform 4 working the 07:18 to Newcastle Central, before boarding the 07:02 (05:50 ex-GLC), which was formed by 221104 “Sir John Franklin” for the run southbound to Lancaster.

I had decided to take a punt here at Lancaster with a Class 350, as I knew that there would be an Edinburgh Waverley – Manchester Airport running behind on the 08:28. In the meantime, I did some spotting, with 390122 on the 08:08 EUS – EDB, 350404 on the 08:14 MIA – GLC, 156463 in Platform 5 forming the 08:35 Morecambe service, and 66305 hauling containers southbound. It was then onboard the 08:28 MIA service, which to my chagrin was formed by as good as megadud (and the TPE Class 350 that always seems to forever stalk me) 350401 for the short run southbound to Preston. During the short interchange time I had at Preston, I spotted 319383 in the north side of the North Union Railway section of the station on the approach, 57311 at the northern end of Platforms 3 and 4, 156425 in Platform 3, and 390155 on a northbound service to Glasgow.

It was then onboard the 08:50 southbound service to a windswept and showery Buckshaw Village/Parkway, which was formed by 156464 and 142043, where after a 15 minute fester, it was onboard the slightly delayed 09:14 service to Chorley, which was formed of dud pair 156420+468, then onboard the 5 minutes delayed 09:34 Hazel Grove service, formed by 156428 for the run to Manchester Piccadilly, arriving 9 or 10 minutes behind schedule.

As I had made a note of which stations to take a run to in the event of landing a winner, plus having a sheet of required 323s (plus the diesel units in the Northern Rail area), it was time to wander to the main concourse and make some observations. I had spotted a winning 323 on the Great Central Railway route to Hadfield and Glossop out of the three standard pattern diagrams, so calculated that in 90 minute increments for later on. I had also spotted a few dud 142s and 150s that were operating the Midland Railway routes to Marple and New Mills Central, so abandoned that aspect of cranking and shack scoring. For the local all stations service to Alderley Edge and Crewe via both Stockport and Airport routes, I noticed a couple of winners and some duds, with the local hourly shuttle to Manchester Airport being dud 323234, with the 10:46 Stoke-on-Trent service being a winning 323, and the Alderley Edge service being one winner and one dud.

After purchasing a cup of tea, it was eventually onboard the 11:46 Crewe via MIA service to Heald Green, which was formed by 323236, where after a 15 minute fester, it was onboard the 12:20 Piccadilly service, formed by 323235 for the short run northbound to Gatley. It was over to the southbound platform (not easy when making a mad dash due to the design of the ramps) for the 12:27 MAN – MIA shuttle formed by dud 323234 back to Heald Green. It was then a quick dash to the northbound platform for the 12:33 Blackpool North/Talbot Road service, which was formed by 156460+156483 back to Piccadilly, and believing that I've now landed 6 of the Class 156s that are on loan to TPE.

It was time for some lunch and after nipping to Sainsbury's in the main concourse for a meal deal, it was onboard the 13:04 Crewe via Stockport service, formed by 323237 for the southbound run to Cheadle Hulme. It was over to the opposite face of the island platform for the 13:38 Piccadilly service, which I knew would be dud 323225 for the short hop to Stockport. It was then over to Platform 1 for the 13:55 Stoke-on-Trent service, formed by 323224 for the short run southbound to Cheadle Hulme, where it was a mad dash up the stairs and over the bridge to the far side for the 13:59 MAN service (from Alderley Edge), formed by 323227 all the way to MAN and pulling off a zero minute connection in the process.

After arriving at MAN, it was over to confirm if my calculations were correct to see what would be on the 14:46 Crewe via MIA service (these interwork with the Crew via SPT service, making 5 diagrams for the standard pattern service). My calculations were indeed correct as I boarded 323233 for the run to East Didsbury, so as not to leave that shack hanging (as I intended to do Styal later on with my original plans, I would have left East Didsbury hanging, and would potentially left me with the option of covering the Metrolink tram stops on the way back). Due to the layout of the station, I knew that it was highly unlikely that I would have pulled off another zero minute connection to return northbound, so had a near 30 minute fester before heading to MAN on the 15:26, which was formed by fresh dud 323237.

I then took a walk over to Platforms 1 to 3 to see what would be working the additional 16:31 Glossop and Hadfield service, which was dud 323230. By my calculations, this meant that I would have landed 7 out of 8 required 323s, which would mean not a bad result. Anyway, it was onboard the 15:46 Glossop and Hadfield service, formed by dud 323226 for the run to Hattersley, where it was back to MAN on the 16:12, formed by 323228 (which I spotted at MAN earlier on this morning, and was the only required 323 that was operating this route today). On a side note, I had originally planned to bail at Ashburys to pick up the 16:31 ex MAN had it been a winner, but as it was dud, and as there was a delay approaching Ashburys from the east, I saw the aforementioned service having already departed Ashburys.

As I had originally planned to get the 17:30 departure to Wilmslow and the 17:56 to Styal, returning back on the 18:17 and 18:27 respectively before heading home, I had spotted a winning 142 for the first time today that was working the 16:55 Hazel Grove crowd buster service. I hopped on 142048 for the run southbound to Hazel Grove. After passing either Davenport or Woodsmore, I noticed to my horror that the next Manchester bound service was 18:xx, meaning that I would be leaving the Styal score hanging, and kicking myself that I should have bailed at SPT. Anyway, it was announced on the screen at Hazel Grove that the 17:39 departure had been cancelled, with the next one at 18:09. After checking the timetable poster, I realised that I could take a run to Disley and meet the 18:09 ex Hazel Grove back to MAN. It was then onboard the slightly delayed 17:39 Buxton service to Disley, formed by 150214+156466 before crossing to the opposite platform for the slightly delayed 17:54 to Davenport, formed by winner 150272 and dud 156425.

I then made my way onto Buxton Road, then down Woodsmoor Lane to Woodsmoor station, where after a short fester, it was onboard the slightly delayed 18:37 to Stockport, formed by dud 150224. The next MAN service landed me a winner, as the 18:53 Cleethorpes – MIA service was formed by 170306 – my very first TPE Class 170 – for the short run back to MAN. It was then over to the island platforms for the 19:16 Barrow-in-Furness service to Preston via the Liverpool & Manchester Railway, which was formed by 185148. After a 25 minute fester, the 10 minutes delayed 20:15 Glasgow Central service pulled in, which was formed by 390001 “Virgin Express”, which should have adopted a name change to “Virgin Crawler” beyond Oxenholme: The Lake District, as due to a broken down freight train in the Lockerbie area, was held here for 90 minutes before continuing north. The announcement that due to the length of delay that there would be free of charge tea and coffee, which helped eased the pain of the delay.

When the train was eventually given the go-ahead to proceed northbound and as I knew that there was another Glasgow Central train that was 10 minutes behind, I decided to bail at Carlisle Citadel, and board the 95 minutes delayed 22:00 GLC service that was formed by dud 390131. A taxi courtesy of Virgin Trains WC took me home alongside another passenger who was going to Croy.

Overall, I had broadly achieved what I had set out to do in by landing 7 out of 8 required Class 323s. However, I was left kicking myself that the shack score of Styal is left hanging when I decided to grab a winning Class 142 all the way to Hazel Grove, with the 17:39 service towards Stockport and Manchester being cancelled. With the recent news that the Northern Rail Class 323s are going nowhere for the next 18 months at least, this gives me another reason to score Styal and hope that it would be 323238 – my sole remaining NR Class 323.

PS Apologies for the somewhat late posting of this trip, as I started my winter job earlier than expected working nightshift.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A fantastic read. Shame about not getting Styal but it does give you a reason to come back to Manc, along with your last 323!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That was certainly quite a productive trip! Only one step away from joining the small club of us on here who've cleared the 323s! Certainly out of us regular trip reporters at least, I managed the feat 2 years ago and I'm wondering who will be next!

Congratulations on starting a new job, no doubt that'll keep you busy for a while!

Kristofferson

I found 390001 quite hard to track down, so nicely done there :)

One more 323 left, eh? Must be good to have got the others, but frustrating knowing you'll need to do another trip purely for that train...

adrock1976

Established Member
As it is the time of year when there is less daylight hours to cover new track, I decided to keep this straight forward and simple with my final new track of 2015 being Carnforth – Barrow-in-Furness – Carlisle. My intention was to do this on Wednesday 18th November, but I was contacted to start my winter job a couple of weeks early later on tonight, so therefore I decided to do this trip today. Also, an Off Peak Day Return from stations in the West of Scotland to Lancaster and Preston is valid for both via BIF and the obvious direct route via the Lancaster & Carlisle Railway – probably due to both becoming part of the London & North Western Railway many moons ago.

It was out of the door for me just after 7 for the short bus ride to Central Station, arriving 20 minutes later. I wandered to Platforms 1 and 2 to take a look what was working the 07:40 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway service, but it was a dud Class 390. It is noted that sitting in Platform 1 was the overnight sleeper from London, which had 90020 “Collingwood” at the buffer end and 87002 “Royal Sovereign” at the London end ready to do the ECS move to Polmadie. A short while after the 07:40 departed from Platform 2, a Class 390 pulled in to work the 08:00 EUS via Birmingham NS service, which to my delight was winning 390009 “Treaty of Union” which I duly boarded for the run to Lancaster, calling at Carlisle Citadel, then a non-stop run along the L&CR to Lancaster.

While waiting for the slightly delayed 08:25 BIF service, I had spotted 390123 on the 09:55 GLC service, 390107 on the EUS – Edinburgh Waverley via BHM service, 150218 on the 10:19 Morecambe service, 350404 on the 10 minutes delayed 10:14 GLC service, and 350410 on the 10:27 Manchester Airport service. Much to my delight, the 10:25 to BIF was indeed the loco hauled service that started from Preston, which was hauled by 37401 “Mary Queen of Scots” for the run to BIF. At BIF, it was then across to Platform 3 (I think) to board the second loco hauled diagram to Carlisle Citadel, which is the 11:38 departure and was hauled by 37402 “Stephen Middlemore 1954-2013”for the northbound run to the end though some sunshine and heavy showers.

At CAR, the 14:47 GLC service was dud 390157, so I let that one go and did some spotting. 390130 was on the GLC – EUS via Trent Valley Railway, 156437 was in Platform 3 with the 15:12 GLC via Dumfries, 158817 on the 15:06 Leeds via Appleby, 142091 on the Middlesbrough via Newcastle Central, 390132 on the 14:59 EDB, 153363+316 (should that unofficially be Class 155 as it is a double 153?) on the 15:13 BIF, and 390135 on the 15:10 GLC – EUS via BHM services. It was then onboard the slightly delayed 15:08 MIA – GLC service, which to a slight annoyance was formed by dud 350409 (I require 402- 05, 407, and 410) for the run to the end at GLC before doing a couple of things in the centre and boarding a dud 334 from Queen Street back home to Barnhill.

Overall, it was a worthwhile circular daytrip that was very simple, and I had planned it with the intention of landing both the loco hauled diagrams. I have travelled along the Lancaster & Carlisle Railway route many times over the years, but never the Maryport & Carlisle Railway, nor any inch of metals between Carnforth and BIF, and via the coastal route. In the North West of England (which I define as from Cheshire to Cumberland before the Metropolitan Counties Act came into force in 1974), the remaining track I require that has regular scheduled passenger services that are timetabled to run is the summer Saturdays Halton Curve, Bidston to Wrexham Central, Golborne Junction – Newton-le-Willows, and the Sundays only Miles Platting – Ashburys via Phillips Park.

Established Member
A nice little move there.
Nice to see the 10.04 made the 11.38 at Barrow, I've heard of a few trips spoilt by it arriving late.
The Cumbrian Coast is a lovely line and the best way to do it is on a 37 (assuming a 55 or 50 isn't available, obviously) :)

adrock1976

Established Member
As I had a meeting in London during the course of the aforementioned weekend, and obviously owing to very few daylight hours and me working nightshift, no new track would be covered on this trip. With the recent news that the Class 442s are to be gradually phased out from the London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway metals, and with the Class 313s being the same age as me, I decided to mainly focus on these types of traction. Furthermore, I was hell bent on landing my remaining 2 Class 442s (403 and 408 are the required ones that eluded me back in October), combined with some festers at Liverpool Street to peel off some 315s too.

After finishing my shift at 6AM and doing a couple of things at home, it was a short bus ride down to Glasgow Central where I purchased a Barnhill – Hornsey SVR ticket. I took a wander over to Platform 1 to see what was on the 09:40 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway service, which was a very busy dud 390 so let that one go while a winning Super Voyager was sitting in Platform 2 for the 10:00 EUS via Birmingham NS service. I boarded 221118 and got myself settled in and having a couple of short naps on the southbound run to Crewe. I had 2 options here to land a winning 390, as both the southbound VTWC services from Crewe to EUS run within 5 minutes of each other from Liverpool LS and from Manchester Piccadilly.

Twenty minutes later, it was 390043 “Virgin Explorer” that was on the 13:25 ex LIV service to EUS, which was heavily loaded. Again, I had a short nap during the journey, with an on time arrival at EUS. It was downstairs to the Underground where I purchased a Z1-6 OP Day Travelcard for later on in the day before boarding a northbound Victoria Line service to Highbury & Islington. It was cross platform to the northbound Northern City Line to board the slightly delayed 15:36 Welwyn GC service to Hornsey, which was formed by double winners 313035+048.

After checking in and dumping my bag at the accommodation I was staying at, it was a short walk back to Hornsey station where I realised I had forgot something very important that I left at the accommodation. It was the sheet I had of the 442 diagrams, so I nipped back to get the sheet. Anyway, it was onboard the 17:14 Moorgate service to HHY, which was formed by double winners 313039+049, where it was onto the Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, Bakerloo to Elephant & Castle, and Northern Line to London Bridge, where I left the Underground and went to the LB&SCR part of the mainline station.

I then took a look as to which 442s would be on the 18:23 Eastbourne service, but both were dud so gave that a miss. It was then onboard the 18:17 East Grinstead service to the infamous hellhole of East Croydon, which was formed by dud 377153, and winners 377150, and 377474. During the over an hour fester I had here (also combined with the usual delays and disruptions to services there), the 442s that I saw on the Brighton services were all dud, but I had spotted the 2 required 442s on the Gatwick Express service, so bookmarked them for later on. When I could no longer take seeing the sight of this hellhole, it was onboard the slightly delayed 19:52 Bedford Midland service to Blackfriars, sadly formed by duds 377213+502, before going downstairs to the Underground for a westbound service to Victoria.

It was then over to the LB&SCR side of the mainline station to see what was on the 21:07 limited stop Brighton service, but it turned out to be a pair of dud 442s. I then attempted to see what was on the Gatwick Express services, but those were dud too. During this time, I was keeping an eye on as to what would be on the 21:37 BTN service, and it was formed by dud 442402 and to my delight winning 442403, meaning that it is 408 I'm looking for. Anyway, I hopped onboard the rear 442 for another run to hell again i.e. East Croydon. While festering in hell, I made use of the time to particularly look out for the GX services passing though, rather than having to constantly annoy the gateline assistants at Victoria to see the numbers on the side of the 442s passing through (same island platform at ECR in both directions, so easier here than at Clapham Junction as it is not the same island platforms there). Eventually, I saw 408 coupled to a dud that was on a GX service to Gatwick, so I got the next VIC service at 22:31, which was slightly delayed and was formed by 377128 for a short run to Clapham Junction.

Immediately behind the train I just alighted from, I saw 442408 coupled to a dud 442 passing through on a GX service to VIC. The next service to VIC was the 23:09 from the same platform and was formed by dud 377427 and winners 377328+327 for the short run to VIC. As 442408 was on the 23:15 GX service, in my mind I had worked out that I could take the 23:30 departure and pick up 408 on the 00:05/00:20/00:35 by meeting it at GTW. I purchased the BZ6 – GTW and hopped aboard duds 442420+407 for the non-stop run to GTW, where arrival was a couple of minutes behind schedule and therefore thwarting my plans to land 408.

I then glanced at the screen to work out a plan (bearing in mind my brain was switched into zombie mode) and found that the 00:35 GX had been cancelled, and that services were currently delayed due to a fatality. The 01:10 Brighton – Bedford Midland service arrived, which was formed by required 377412+ dud 404, but was going nowhere. After around 20 minutes or so, this service was cancelled, with the 01:35 GX service to VIC cancelled too. It was then across to the opposite face of the island platform to board the 02:xx Brighton or Three Bridges service to VIC via Norwood Junction and Crystal Palace, which was formed by winners 377152+149, arriving at VIC at around 03:00.

It was at this point that I glanced at the departure board and noticed that there was a 03:30 GX service, so I hung around to see what was working it. It turned out to be dud 442421 (this would also be on the 05:30 VIC – GTW service) so declined that and had a wander of what was stabled in the London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway platforms. 377420+461, 455810, 455805, 377436, and 377412 were spotted. It is noted that I did not see anything stabled in any of the London, Chatham, & Dover Railway platforms. Furthermore, 442411 was on the 04:30, 442413 was on the 05:00, and 442416 was on the 05:15 GX services, meaning that 4 out of 6 diagrams were all dud, which meant that I had two more chances of landing my final 442. It was after I saw 442421 that I went outside again for some fresh air and assisted somebody in getting to Heathrow by putting them on the 52 bus to Hyde Park Corner for either the N9 or hopefully the Piccadilly Line of the Underground would be starting up.

I went back inside for the 05:45 GX service, and the fith diagram was indeed my final Class 442, 442408. I purchased the Z1-6 plus BZ extension from the machine, and took a run on it to GTW and back. 442401 was spotted that would be working the 06:00 GX service in the adjacent platform at VIC. Having completed clearing all 24 Class 442s (it took me 50 days to complete – the fastest I've ever cleared a fleet, and not the easiest of ones to do since I cleared the Tyseley depot based Class 115 and 116s back in the early 1990s), it was on the Victoria Line to Kings Cross and onto the 07:26 service to Hornsey, which was formed by winning 313058 and dud 313026. After getting changed and freshened up, it was to my meeting venue at the top end of Holloway Road via the 41 bus (I think) to Turnpike Lane, then the 253 to Nags Head junction.

When my meeting finished and some time socialising afterwards, it was on the 271 bus to Moorgate Finsbury Square, and then cut through to Liverpool Street station. I went over to the high platforms and consulted my sheet of required 315s, and noted a required 315 on the 18:30 local all stations to Shenfield service. I hooped on board dud 315825 and winner 315826 for a run eastbound to Romford. It was then over to the bay platform for the 19:11 Upminster service, which was formed by a “Dusty Bin” i.e. 321414 for a short hop to Hornchurch North aka Emerson Park. There were 4 other passengers who alighted with me, with 3 boarding to Upminster. As this unit was a former London Midland 321, I would recommend to their finance management team that the next piece of equipment LM should invest in regarding traincare is a hoover, as the carpets looked like they have not been hoovered in a while. Anyway, it was back on the 19:28 (and same unit) to Romford, where 5 other pssengers boarded with me at Emerson Park and 7 alighted from Upminster.

It was then onboard the 19:48 LST service to Manor Park, which was formed by dud 315827 and winner 315822, where it was a short fester before boarding the 20:03 to Ilford, which was formed by dud 315854 and winner 315818. I had spotted 315820+841 sitting in Platform 5 facing London – both of these were dud, therefore eliminating albeit slightly my chances of landing a load of duds. It was then onboard the 20:19 LST service to Maryland, which was formed by dud 315831 and winner 315835 (it appears that my winning 315s are coupled up to a dud 315). The 20:36 LST service was a dud pair, so declined that and waited for the 20:46 LST service, which was formed by winning pair 315840+856 all the way back to LST.

I then made my way over to the low platforms to see what 315s were on the LO services via Seven Sisters, and spotted a winning 315 on the 21:00 service. I boarded 315809 for a run to White Hart Lane (the railway station, and not the forum member with the same name who seems to be a sensationalist drama queen in regards to service frequency and heavy passenger loadings). While waiting for the 21:32 LST service, I noticed that in the event of large crowds on the platform, the shutters at the bottom of the platform stairs can easily be pulled down if necessary as a form of crowd control when events are taking place at the stadium – I could not see what the fuss was about in a recent thread. Anyway, it was onboard 315803 for the short hop to Rectory Road, where I then walked the short distance along the main road northbound to Stoke Newington for the 21:58 to Bruce Grove, formed by dud 315804. It was then onboard the 22:19 LST service to Stamford Hill, which was formed by 315815, where it was over to the opposite platform for the 22:30 Cheshunt service to Southbury, formed by 315813.

It was to the bus stop along the main road outside the station for the bus that runs to Oakwood tube station via Bush Hill Park. I had intended to alight at Bush Hill Park station, but as it was dark, I must have missed it or the signs were absent. Anyway, I remained on the bus all the way to Oakwood, then boarded a Piccadilly Line service to Turnpike Lane, then a short bus ride to my accommodation in Hornsey where I put my head down for a good night's sleep.

It was now Sunday morning, and after checking out and before heading to Holloway Road for another meeting, I decided to see if I could land a couple more winning Class 313s after consulting the timetable. It was a short walk to Hornsey station where I boarded the 09:06 Hertford North service to Gordon Hill, which was formed by winning 313047 before crossing over to the southbound island platform. I could tell that this station used to function as an overtaking point at one time, and would be handy if the northbound track was reinstated, so as to allow freight and limited stop passenger services to overtake local all stations services. It was back southbound to Harringay on the 09:28 KGX service, which was formed by winning 313057, then over to the northbound platform for the 09:49 service to Alexandra Palace, which was formed by winning 313053, before heading south to Finsbury Park on the 09:57 KGX from the loop line platform, formed by another winner in the guise of 313041. It was then downstairs for the Victoria Line to Highbury & Islington and a walk along Holloway Road to my meeting venue.

After my meeting ended, it was to Highbury & Islington station for the Victoria Line to Euston, where it became apparent that there appeared to be no Intercity services running north of Preston. My intention was to get the 15:28 Glasgow Central service via Trent Valley Railway back home, but there was a huge crowd of passengers near the enquiries desk in the main concourse. As I had no internet access all weekend, I decided to resort to the old fashioned method of getting as far as I can, then working my way around the line closure. I had noticed the 15:08 Chester service in Platform 17 or 18, so decided to take a look as to what was working that service. I was duly rewarded with winning 221110 for the journey to Crewe – again, it was not clear from the information given about alternative routes or rail replacement buses.

At Crewe, it was then onboard the 17:11 Edinburgh Waverley service (which was terminating at Preston), which was formed by winning 390044 “Virgin Lionheart” northbound to Preston. It was here that I enquired about if it was possible to get to Scotland via York and Edinburgh, and one of the station staff was very kind to print out an itinerary for that route. It was back down to the platform for the 18:09 Manchester Airport service to Manchester Piccadilly via Liverpool & Manchester Railway, which was formed by winning 185123. After getting a meal deal from Sainsbury's in the concourse, it was back to the island platforms for the 19:11 Liverpool LS – Scarborough service to York, which was formed by winning 185151.

As I had a half an hour or so before the 20:53 service to Edinburgh Waverley was due (according to my printed itinerary), I decided to get the 20:48 XC service to Newcastle Central, which was formed by winning 220003. It was a short wait at NCL for the slightly delayed 21:53 EDB service, which was running with Standard Class facing London north of NCL, due to arriving via the High Level Bridge. This service was to my surprise an IC125, which had winning power cars 43319+43299 for the journey northbound to EDB, where it was due to arrive at 23:33, but was delayed around 10 minutes. The guard was kind enough to take the details of where I was travelling to, and came back to mention that a taxi would be provided to continue to Glasgow. A member of station staff at EDB walked with me and 4 other passengers to the London Road (generic vicinity, as I'm not too familiar with streets in Auld Reekie) side of the station where a Hackney cab was waiting to take us westbound to Glasgow, and I walked uphill back home, arriving at 01:30 and unable to go into work, as half the shift was almost over. The following day, I was kicking myself in that I could have got off the Victoria Line at Kings Cross and got the 15:00 EDB service, as I had plenty of time to get back home before my shift start time of 22:00.

Overall, I achieved what I had set out to do by landing my 2 remaining Class 442s, even though I had to go on a wild goose chase for them. This was also combined with festers in the hellhole known as East Croydon, and being caught up in service cancellations. As it is known in previous forum postings that I am openly an Aston Villa and Partick Thistle fan, I am used to participating in masochism. Furthermore, I have landed several winners over the course of the weekend, including ones on my unintended workaround north of Preston on my journey back home. One thing is for certain – I will not be very enthusiastic in having future festers at East Croydon or Gatwick Airport, so will do my best to avoid those if possible.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Brighton - Bedford formed of 377412+ dud 104? That I would like to see north of City Thameslink where the 3rd rail runs out. Similarly you've got 602 heading to Bedford attached with 213, I assume you mean 502.

Sounds like a couple good productive days clearing those 442s, must have been rather quiet around Victoria that time of the morning.

Arrived Gatwick Airport station itself isn't the nicest place to fester around :)

adrock1976

Established Member
It was indeed 404 and 502, of which I appreciate the errors being pointed out. I've now fixed the typos.

It was reasonably quiet at Victoria station in the early hours of the Saturday morning, with the usual people stumbling out of pubs, etc when compared to the daytime.

Antman

Established Member
As I had a meeting in London during the course of the aforementioned weekend, and obviously owing to very few daylight hours and me working nightshift, no new track would be covered on this trip. With the recent news that the Class 442s are to be gradually phased out from the London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway metals, and with the Class 313s being the same age as me, I decided to mainly focus on these types of traction. Furthermore, I was hell bent on landing my remaining 2 Class 442s (403 and 408 are the required ones that eluded me back in October), combined with some festers at Liverpool Street to peel off some 315s too.

After finishing my shift at 6AM and doing a couple of things at home, it was a short bus ride down to Glasgow Central where I purchased a Barnhill – Hornsey SVR ticket. I took a wander over to Platform 1 to see what was on the 09:40 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway service, which was a very busy dud 390 so let that one go while a winning Super Voyager was sitting in Platform 2 for the 10:00 EUS via Birmingham NS service. I boarded 221118 and got myself settled in and having a couple of short naps on the southbound run to Crewe. I had 2 options here to land a winning 390, as both the southbound VTWC services from Crewe to EUS run within 5 minutes of each other from Liverpool LS and from Manchester Piccadilly.

Twenty minutes later, it was 390043 “Virgin Explorer” that was on the 13:25 ex LIV service to EUS, which was heavily loaded. Again, I had a short nap during the journey, with an on time arrival at EUS. It was downstairs to the Underground where I purchased a Z1-6 OP Day Travelcard for later on in the day before boarding a northbound Victoria Line service to Highbury & Islington. It was cross platform to the northbound Northern City Line to board the slightly delayed 15:36 Welwyn GC service to Hornsey, which was formed by double winners 313035+048.

After checking in and dumping my bag at the accommodation I was staying at, it was a short walk back to Hornsey station where I realised I had forgot something very important that I left at the accommodation. It was the sheet I had of the 442 diagrams, so I nipped back to get the sheet. Anyway, it was onboard the 17:14 Moorgate service to HHY, which was formed by double winners 313039+049, where it was onto the Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, Bakerloo to Elephant & Castle, and Northern Line to London Bridge, where I left the Underground and went to the LB&SCR part of the mainline station.

I then took a look as to which 442s would be on the 18:23 Eastbourne service, but both were dud so gave that a miss. It was then onboard the 18:17 East Grinstead service to the infamous hellhole of East Croydon, which was formed by dud 377153, and winners 377150, and 377474. During the over an hour fester I had here (also combined with the usual delays and disruptions to services there), the 442s that I saw on the Brighton services were all dud, but I had spotted the 2 required 442s on the Gatwick Express service, so bookmarked them for later on. When I could no longer take seeing the sight of this hellhole, it was onboard the slightly delayed 19:52 Bedford Midland service to Blackfriars, sadly formed by duds 377213+502, before going downstairs to the Underground for a westbound service to Victoria.

It was then over to the LB&SCR side of the mainline station to see what was on the 21:07 limited stop Brighton service, but it turned out to be a pair of dud 442s. I then attempted to see what was on the Gatwick Express services, but those were dud too. During this time, I was keeping an eye on as to what would be on the 21:37 BTN service, and it was formed by dud 442402 and to my delight winning 442403, meaning that it is 408 I'm looking for. Anyway, I hopped onboard the rear 442 for another run to hell again i.e. East Croydon. While festering in hell, I made use of the time to particularly look out for the GX services passing though, rather than having to constantly annoy the gateline assistants at Victoria to see the numbers on the side of the 442s passing through (same island platform at ECR in both directions, so easier here than at Clapham Junction as it is not the same island platforms there). Eventually, I saw 408 coupled to a dud that was on a GX service to Gatwick, so I got the next VIC service at 22:31, which was slightly delayed and was formed by 377128 for a short run to Clapham Junction.

Immediately behind the train I just alighted from, I saw 442408 coupled to a dud 442 passing through on a GX service to VIC. The next service to VIC was the 23:09 from the same platform and was formed by dud 377427 and winners 377328+327 for the short run to VIC. As 442408 was on the 23:15 GX service, in my mind I had worked out that I could take the 23:30 departure and pick up 408 on the 00:05/00:20/00:35 by meeting it at GTW. I purchased the BZ6 – GTW and hopped aboard duds 442420+407 for the non-stop run to GTW, where arrival was a couple of minutes behind schedule and therefore thwarting my plans to land 408.

I then glanced at the screen to work out a plan (bearing in mind my brain was switched into zombie mode) and found that the 00:35 GX had been cancelled, and that services were currently delayed due to a fatality. The 01:10 Brighton – Bedford Midland service arrived, which was formed by required 377412+ dud 404, but was going nowhere. After around 20 minutes or so, this service was cancelled, with the 01:35 GX service to VIC cancelled too. It was then across to the opposite face of the island platform to board the 02:xx Brighton or Three Bridges service to VIC via Norwood Junction and Crystal Palace, which was formed by winners 377152+149, arriving at VIC at around 03:00.

It was at this point that I glanced at the departure board and noticed that there was a 03:30 GX service, so I hung around to see what was working it. It turned out to be dud 442421 (this would also be on the 05:30 VIC – GTW service) so declined that and had a wander of what was stabled in the London, Brighton, & South Coast Railway platforms. 377420+461, 455810, 455805, 377436, and 377412 were spotted. It is noted that I did not see anything stabled in any of the London, Chatham, & Dover Railway platforms. Furthermore, 442411 was on the 04:30, 442413 was on the 05:00, and 442416 was on the 05:15 GX services, meaning that 4 out of 6 diagrams were all dud, which meant that I had two more chances of landing my final 442. It was after I saw 442421 that I went outside again for some fresh air and assisted somebody in getting to Heathrow by putting them on the 52 bus to Hyde Park Corner for either the N9 or hopefully the Piccadilly Line of the Underground would be starting up.

I went back inside for the 05:45 GX service, and the fith diagram was indeed my final Class 442, 442408. I purchased the Z1-6 plus BZ extension from the machine, and took a run on it to GTW and back. 442401 was spotted that would be working the 06:00 GX service in the adjacent platform at VIC. Having completed clearing all 24 Class 442s (it took me 50 days to complete – the fastest I've ever cleared a fleet, and not the easiest of ones to do since I cleared the Tyseley depot based Class 115 and 116s back in the early 1990s), it was on the Victoria Line to Kings Cross and onto the 07:26 service to Hornsey, which was formed by winning 313058 and dud 313026. After getting changed and freshened up, it was to my meeting venue at the top end of Holloway Road via the 41 bus (I think) to Turnpike Lane, then the 253 to Nags Head junction.

When my meeting finished and some time socialising afterwards, it was on the 271 bus to Moorgate Finsbury Square, and then cut through to Liverpool Street station. I went over to the high platforms and consulted my sheet of required 315s, and noted a required 315 on the 18:30 local all stations to Shenfield service. I hooped on board dud 315825 and winner 315826 for a run eastbound to Romford. It was then over to the bay platform for the 19:11 Upminster service, which was formed by a “Dusty Bin” i.e. 321414 for a short hop to Hornchurch North aka Emerson Park. There were 4 other passengers who alighted with me, with 3 boarding to Upminster. As this unit was a former London Midland 321, I would recommend to their finance management team that the next piece of equipment LM should invest in regarding traincare is a hoover, as the carpets looked like they have not been hoovered in a while. Anyway, it was back on the 19:28 (and same unit) to Romford, where 5 other pssengers boarded with me at Emerson Park and 7 alighted from Upminster.

It was then onboard the 19:48 LST service to Manor Park, which was formed by dud 315827 and winner 315822, where it was a short fester before boarding the 20:03 to Ilford, which was formed by dud 315854 and winner 315818. I had spotted 315820+841 sitting in Platform 5 facing London – both of these were dud, therefore eliminating albeit slightly my chances of landing a load of duds. It was then onboard the 20:19 LST service to Maryland, which was formed by dud 315831 and winner 315835 (it appears that my winning 315s are coupled up to a dud 315). The 20:36 LST service was a dud pair, so declined that and waited for the 20:46 LST service, which was formed by winning pair 315840+856 all the way back to LST.

I then made my way over to the low platforms to see what 315s were on the LO services via Seven Sisters, and spotted a winning 315 on the 21:00 service. I boarded 315809 for a run to White Hart Lane (the railway station, and not the forum member with the same name who seems to be a sensationalist drama queen in regards to service frequency and heavy passenger loadings). While waiting for the 21:32 LST service, I noticed that in the event of large crowds on the platform, the shutters at the bottom of the platform stairs can easily be pulled down if necessary as a form of crowd control when events are taking place at the stadium – I could not see what the fuss was about in a recent thread. Anyway, it was onboard 315803 for the short hop to Rectory Road, where I then walked the short distance along the main road northbound to Stoke Newington for the 21:58 to Bruce Grove, formed by dud 315804. It was then onboard the 22:19 LST service to Stamford Hill, which was formed by 315815, where it was over to the opposite platform for the 22:30 Cheshunt service to Southbury, formed by 315813.

It was to the bus stop along the main road outside the station for the bus that runs to Oakwood tube station via Bush Hill Park. I had intended to alight at Bush Hill Park station, but as it was dark, I must have missed it or the signs were absent. Anyway, I remained on the bus all the way to Oakwood, then boarded a Piccadilly Line service to Turnpike Lane, then a short bus ride to my accommodation in Hornsey where I put my head down for a good night's sleep.

It was now Sunday morning, and after checking out and before heading to Holloway Road for another meeting, I decided to see if I could land a couple more winning Class 313s after consulting the timetable. It was a short walk to Hornsey station where I boarded the 09:06 Hertford North service to Gordon Hill, which was formed by winning 313047 before crossing over to the southbound island platform. I could tell that this station used to function as an overtaking point at one time, and would be handy if the northbound track was reinstated, so as to allow freight and limited stop passenger services to overtake local all stations services. It was back southbound to Harringay on the 09:28 KGX service, which was formed by winning 313057, then over to the northbound platform for the 09:49 service to Alexandra Palace, which was formed by winning 313053, before heading south to Finsbury Park on the 09:57 KGX from the loop line platform, formed by another winner in the guise of 313041. It was then downstairs for the Victoria Line to Highbury & Islington and a walk along Holloway Road to my meeting venue.

After my meeting ended, it was to Highbury & Islington station for the Victoria Line to Euston, where it became apparent that there appeared to be no Intercity services running north of Preston. My intention was to get the 15:28 Glasgow Central service via Trent Valley Railway back home, but there was a huge crowd of passengers near the enquiries desk in the main concourse. As I had no internet access all weekend, I decided to resort to the old fashioned method of getting as far as I can, then working my way around the line closure. I had noticed the 15:08 Chester service in Platform 17 or 18, so decided to take a look as to what was working that service. I was duly rewarded with winning 221110 for the journey to Crewe – again, it was not clear from the information given about alternative routes or rail replacement buses.

At Crewe, it was then onboard the 17:11 Edinburgh Waverley service (which was terminating at Preston), which was formed by winning 390044 “Virgin Lionheart” northbound to Preston. It was here that I enquired about if it was possible to get to Scotland via York and Edinburgh, and one of the station staff was very kind to print out an itinerary for that route. It was back down to the platform for the 18:09 Manchester Airport service to Manchester Piccadilly via Liverpool & Manchester Railway, which was formed by winning 185123. After getting a meal deal from Sainsbury's in the concourse, it was back to the island platforms for the 19:11 Liverpool LS – Scarborough service to York, which was formed by winning 185151.

As I had a half an hour or so before the 20:53 service to Edinburgh Waverley was due (according to my printed itinerary), I decided to get the 20:48 XC service to Newcastle Central, which was formed by winning 220003. It was a short wait at NCL for the slightly delayed 21:53 EDB service, which was running with Standard Class facing London north of NCL, due to arriving via the High Level Bridge. This service was to my surprise an IC125, which had winning power cars 43319+43299 for the journey northbound to EDB, where it was due to arrive at 23:33, but was delayed around 10 minutes. The guard was kind enough to take the details of where I was travelling to, and came back to mention that a taxi would be provided to continue to Glasgow. A member of station staff at EDB walked with me and 4 other passengers to the London Road (generic vicinity, as I'm not too familiar with streets in Auld Reekie) side of the station where a Hackney cab was waiting to take us westbound to Glasgow, and I walked uphill back home, arriving at 01:30 and unable to go into work, as half the shift was almost over. The following day, I was kicking myself in that I could have got off the Victoria Line at Kings Cross and got the 15:00 EDB service, as I had plenty of time to get back home before my shift start time of 22:00.

Overall, I achieved what I had set out to do by landing my 2 remaining Class 442s, even though I had to go on a wild goose chase for them. This was also combined with festers in the hellhole known as East Croydon, and being caught up in service cancellations. As it is known in previous forum postings that I am openly an Aston Villa and Partick Thistle fan, I am used to participating in masochism. Furthermore, I have landed several winners over the course of the weekend, including ones on my unintended workaround north of Preston on my journey back home. One thing is for certain – I will not be very enthusiastic in having future festers at East Croydon or Gatwick Airport, so will do my best to avoid those if possible.

Interesting read but East Croydon isn't that bad is it?<(

I pass through there regularly and know some of the platform staff and they're all a good bunch;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some very good moves there! You've had my last 313/0, 313035, so I'm jealous!

As for White Hart Lane, when a match is on it's a VERY busy station. Rammed solid platforms, trust me I've endured it!

Established Member
Excellent trip there.
Congratulations on clearing the 442s - welcome to the club :)
Friday the 4th was the day I finished them and I also had 442402 & 442403 that day, although it was number 2 that I needed (442408 was another winner for me on the 4th!).
It took me considerably longer than you to get them all, mind (My first recorded one was on the 11th of June 1998, although I did largely ignore EMUs until 2015 :) )

adrock1976

Established Member
When I have gone down to visit my mum over the Christmas break, I do not normally bother to post a trip report as it is generally a straightforward run of the mill trip there and back, with no unusual diversions away from the variety of normal routes. However, due to the line being closed between Stafford and Crewe on the 28th December for the Norton Bridge works to grade separate the junction, this gave me the chance to either cover track that I last did in 1989, or get some new track that I've not done before when heading back north to Glasgow.

It was sometime back in September or October that I had a play around on the websites for split ticketing options, due to there being no Advance fares between Birmingham and Glasgow via Preston. As my partner would be travelling with me and has mobility issues, this would rule out the direct XC service via Leeds, Newcastle, and Edinburgh, as it would be highly likely to be an uncomfortable journey especially for my partner. Furthermore, this would obviously rule out zero, one, two, three minute platform dashes as well. In the end, I decided to settle on Cradley Heath – Birmingham Moor Street, Birmingham NS – Rugeley TV via Walsall, Rugely TV – Crewe via Stoke-on-Trent, and Crewe – Glasgow Central. In addition, it was surprising that a Stafford – Rugeley TV Route “Not via Birmingham” would be accepted via Birmingham that day (according to journey planners), due to no rail services running between Stafford and Rugeley TV.

After getting some rest when I finished nightshift on the 24th, it was out of the door for the bus ride to Glasgow Central for both me and my partner. It was onboard the 14:00 London Euston via Birmingham service to Birmingham NS, which was formed by winning 390119 “Virgin Warrior” for an uneventful and reasonably kind of quiet journey. On arrival at Birmingham NS, it was out to Smallbrook Queensway to the bus stop for the 87, but it appeared to have been relocated elsewhere. On the opposite side of the road, I noticed that the 126 would be due in 5 minutes, so decided to get that to Dudley. Regarding the 126, I was expecting it to go either via Suffolk Street Queensway or Hill Street to Broad Street and Five Ways, but was surprised that it went up Holloway Head to Five Ways station and Islington Row Middleway to Five Ways, before going its traditional route of Hagley Road and Wolverhampton New Road. At Dudley, it was a short wait for the 243 to take us to my mum's place – a short journey of 10 minutes.

The return journey on the 28th was a taxi to Cradley Heath station, due to the buses operating a Sunday service. We boarded the 12:34 Whitlocks End (extension from when they used to terminate at Shirley when I used to reside in the West Midlands) service to Birmingham Moor Street, formed by 172337+220. As this was my local line when I first got into railways in the late 1980s, I remember when this route was operated by Class 115/116 and Class 150s, with the engine thrash being noticeable on the uphill stretch between Cradley Heath and past the M5 bridge between Rowley Regis and Langley Green. The 172s appeared to glide along this stretch with relative ease, and the thrash (if any) was unnoticed.

It was then a walk over to New Street and after navigating the maze to reach Platform 3b, it was onboard the 13:12 Rugeley TV service, which was formed by 170517. I previously done the Walsall – Hednesford section when that reopened to passenger services back in 1989, therefore the section northwards to Rugeley TV would be new track for me. It is noted that I had left the West Midlands when services were extended to Rugeley Town, TV, and Stafford, and have been meaning to do that section of track for the last few years now. There was a short wait between Rugeley Town and TV before arriving at its terminus.

It was then onboard the 14:39 London Euston – Crewe via SOT LM service, which was formed by 350130 that seemed to have well-worn seat covers. It is noted that the LM services have around a 15 to 20 minute wait at RGL due to not running via Stafford, and running direct to SOT via the Colwich cut off. At Crewe, it was then onboard the 15:58 London Euston – Glasgow Central via Trent Valley Railway service northbound for an uneventful journey to Glasgow Central, which was formed by a busy 390040 “Virgin Pathfinder”.

Overall, it was a comfortable journey on both days, with the Norton Bridge engineering works conveniently working in my favour, as it enabled me to get some new track in. It was also a good end to 2015, as every train I landed were all winners. The only sections of track in the West Midlands that has scheduled passenger services I require is Great Malvern – Hereford, Bromsgrove – Droitwich Spa, Darlaston Jct – Pleck, Lichfield TV – Winchnor, and Perry Barr West – Perry Barr South (the XC service from Reading). I can feel a plan coming on to do the West Midlands Day Ranger in the near future to mainly target the 323s, 170s, and 172s, and will fit in some of the PSUL services as well.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Looks like the blockage worked in your favour! A good few winners there and I'm sure that you were glad to get that winner track!

Status
Not open for further replies.