• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Adrock's trip reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristofferson

Wow, that's a very long day indeed! I imagine the following day was fairly quiet?

Congrats on clearing that railway - I can't pretend to know much about it off the top of my head, but it sounds huge...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
adrock1976:2177239 said:
Been a bit of a day where nothing went to plan, but at least it was productive in the end!

The PSUL move you mention on the 0428 from Glasgow, takes in the Newton Connecting Line doesn't it? One of the few PSUL moves I still need.

Not had that sort of thing happen with trains stalking me for a long time, but I still remember the same happening with 66560 years back!

It is only on a Saturday though. It might be possible to get it in if travelling north to Glasgow on the very last train that arrives after midnight, or via the last London Kings Cross - Edinburgh Waverley service that arrives EDB 23:30, transferring to the last EDB - GLC via Shotts (dep 23:47) and arriving GLC after 01:00.

Not for the faint-hearted I must admit :)

In peace

Adam

Aye, I need to get a plan going on for that one. Knowing my luck it wouldn't be happening on the day I go for it!

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
This was an unusual bashing trip, as I do not normally bother with light rail/tram systems, nor make a note of the units I've rode on. However, due to the present works taking place on the Sheffield Supertram system, this meant that with the revision to the standard services, the PSUL side of the Sheffield Station – Hyde Park section would be temporarily in regular use for the time being. This made sense for me to attempt this awkward section (due to the limited service it normally receives and me not able to make it there or return back home at the times it is normally used), and to bash as much track as possible. It is noted that this was one of the “spur of the moment” bashing trips, which would later affect how I would get to the start point of my GM Wayfarer bash in June.

Anyway, after rising, getting dressed, preparing flasks of tea, and gathering my provisions, it was a walk to the bus stop for a short ride to Glasgow Central station. I arrived 15 minutes before departure, and walked around the long way into the station and was on board the 07:10 Manchester Airport service, sitting at the rear of Platform 1 with 380114 at the front forming the 07:05 North Berwick service. My MIA service was formed by serial stalker and dud 350401, which I would take as far as Manchester Piccadilly (TPE split tickets at Oxenholme: The Lake District, as that was the cheapest combination I could get). 390121 “Virgin Dream” (I would like to have wondered what went through the person's mind who thought of that name) was sitting in Platform 2, forming the 07:40 London Euston via Trent Valley Railway service (I would like to mention that as I'm originally from the West Midlands, I had thought about using the acronym “TVR” in future reports to refer to the Trent Valley Railway, but it may cause confusion with people in south Wales, where it could also refer to the Taff Vale Railway). There was a lady handing out a questionnaire to all of the passengers after departure, which I duly completed and handed back later.

On passing Kingmoor, 66602, 66102, and 66423 were some of the locos that were spotted. A few moments later at Carlise Citadel, Colas Rail 66xxx was spotted heading northbound, with DRS 37606 hauling coaches at the south of the station heading northbound, appearing to come from the Maryport & Carlisle Railway. 66192 was spotted at Shap, with 156454 spotted around 4 ½ miles north of Preston heading in the direction of Lancaster. On the approach to Preston, there was a 319 in the siding at the northern end of the North Union Railway platform, with DRS 37419 hauling former Virgin Trains coaching stock sitting in Platform 5.

At Leyland, 156427 was spotted heading northbound (most likely Blackpool North/Talbot Road), with 150117 heading southbound (most likely Liverpool Lime Street via St Helens Central). Wigan NW saw 319365 working a local all stations service to LIV via St Helens Central, with 156471 working a northbound LIV – Blackpool North/Talbot Road service. There was a brief pause for a couple of minutes at Golborne Junction, while waiting for 185150 and 185131 to pass before continuing on to the main part of the Liverpool & Manchester Railway from the Wigan Branch of the L & MR.

After arriving and exiting from the island platform at Manchester Piccadilly, I took the opportunity to do some trainspotting in the main part of the station. 390154 to London, 323223 Stoke -on-Trent, 142043, 142053, 220009 Bristol TM, 185114 Hull Paragon, 185101 MIA, 156427 Hazel Grove, 323230 Crewe via MIA, 150228 Buxton, 150268 Chester via Altrincham, 323225, 323228, 185142 MIA departing 11:07, 220027 Bournemouth, 323238 local to MIA, 175007, and 150149 were spotted. As I was at the buffer end of the platforms, there might have been some others I may have missed.

It was to Platform 4 for the 11:20 Cleethorpes via Doncaster service to continue my journey to Sheffield Midland, formed of 185141. On passing Earles Sidings in the Peak District, 66605 was spotted hauling oil tankers, with GBRf 66752 spotted at Dore & Totley. After joining the main line, it was a slow crawl to Sheffield Midland, arriving 3 or 4 minutes behind schedule, therefore scuppering a remote possibility of me taking a run to Dore & Totley on the 12:14 MAN via New Mills Central service, returning back to Sheffield on the local bus.

I took a walk over to Castle Square, as I needed to go in that direction to purchase a new charger for my phone (my phone is basic, which makes and receives calls, and sends and receives SMS text messages, and nothing else. Also, it is the same place where I got a new mains to USB output charger for my iPod last summer when stewarding at Tramlines Festival when that stopped working). After the business was sorted, it was on to 113 for the run to Malin Bridge and back to Hillsborough Interchange, then on to 124 to Middlewood and back to Castle Square, completing the section of the western arm that was in operation.

It was a walk back to the station, but I went via the leisure centre and on to the footpath that runs parallel to the tram track. It was several minutes before a tram arrived, and having noted the times of the trams that run to Herdings Park (every 30 minutes – not a high frequency compared to the other routes). The first tram was a Halfway one, and as my intended Herdings Park would be behind it, I thought about cranking it along the way, which I did so. It was on 103 as far as Gleadless Townend, where 5 minutes or so later, 122 arrived to take me to Herdings Park and back to Hollinsend. From Hollinsend, it was on board 106 all the way to Halfway and back in the direction of Meadowhall Interchange.

However, as I needed to be on the 16:11 MIA service from Sheffield Midland, I was keeping an eye on the time and it was around 15:35 when the tram arrived back at Sheffield Station. As it was obvious that I could not continue on the run all the way to Meadowhall, I decided to abandon the tram at Attercliffe, which as it was to transpire soon, was a very good judgement call. The time was now 15:48 and it was back to the other side at Attercliffe, where a tram very soon arrived. It was 103 (which I had cranked to Gleadless Townend earlier) that done the duty of running me back to Sheffield Station, arriving at 16:05.

It was on board the 16:11 MIA service back to Manchester Piccadilly, which was formed by dud 185141. Got held up along the connecting chord between New Mills Junction and Hazel Grove for 5 minutes or so, before proceeding to Stockport. As the train would remain 4 or 5 minutes behind schedule to MAN (arriving at 17:07), the first thought that came into my mind was that my connection with the 17:15 to Glasgow Central was now officially busted, and also to make my way in the direction of Wigan Wallgate or Preston for the VT Intercity service northbound.

However, when I arrived at the island platform, the 17:07 Liverpool LS via Warrington Central service was delayed by minutes or so, with the GLC behind it as 4 minutes delayed, meaning that a stroke of good fortune has meant that I would be able to stick to my booked itinerary after all. After the LIV service arrived and departed, dud 350406 rolled in to take me back north to Glasgow Central, which made the time back up to arrive at 20:34. Other than an uneventful and quiet journey north of Preston, DRS 66431 was spotted north of Carlisle Citadel hauling containers southbound, with DB 90018 and 90029 spotted near Lockerbie hauling an empty car transporter southbound.

Although not normally the type of bashing trip I do, I felt it was a worthwhile exercise in the 4 hours that I had in Sheffield to bash the Supertram system and complete the PSUL side of the triangle. I will be back to complete the track between Attercliffe and Meadowhall Interchange, plus Hyde Park – Castle Square and Sheffield Station – Castle Square. Assuming the Wikipedia entry is correct, there are 25 trams in the fleet, and I have rode 5 different trams, meaning that I've completed 20% of the fleet on my first attempt. One thing's for certain – I'm not making the trek to Herdings Park or Halfway again, as it seems to take forever. On a final note, I might mix up the uncompleted track bashing with some cranking too, and may take a wander to 12 Bolsover Street (Arts Tower of Sheffield Uni) to have a ride in the paternoster lift next time I spend a day in Sheffield.

In peace

Adam

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A rather different trip for you then, considering you don't particularly enjoy light rail. I too am not its biggest fan, but it's really grown on me this year, having some good times on the Metrolink in particular.

I can only agree with Halfway, it is a real drag to go all the way down that far in one sitting. I did Sheffield Station to Halfway in one go in 2012, never again. I need to go back that way eventually for the shacks, and I still need a fair number of trams too, but it's got to wait a while.

Certainly was cutting it close for your train home out of Sheffield! A good time had clearly, oh and I'd say that 150 you saw at Preston was much more likely to be on a Preston to Hazel Grove service than to Liverpool. Most of the day trains via St Helens Central start/terminate at Wigan. It is of course possible that it was a 150 filling in for a 156 on a Blackpool North to Liverpool Lime Street too.

adrock1976

Established Member
When the promotion of the Abellio launch of free OP Day Returns went online, I selected the Glasgow – Aberdeen option. This would give me the chance to bash track that I last did 20 years ago, and a remote chance that I would land some of my remaining 170s, of which I required 11. For information, I already cleared the 9 Eversholt 170s back in March, when I did some cranking therapy between Waverley and Haymarket.

I went on a short bus ride from the main Springburn Road north to Bishopbriggs Cross, as I've not boarded or alighted any service there to date, due to as that is where the trains are timetabled to pass at the same time on the all stations services to Stirling/Dunblane/Alloa. The same can be said for Lenzie and Croy too, however, I've boarded and alighted at the other stations along the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway.

I collected some tickets from the machine – in particular the Bishopbriggs to Croy return, (also Dundee – Springfield return, and Dundee – Golf Street Halt single) so as to push me over the 09:00 start time to use the OP Day Return. It was then aboard the 08:55 Alloa service to Stirling, which was formed by dud 170452. It was then over to the Perth platform for the 09:35 Dundee service, formed by dud 170474 as far as Invergowrie. It was then a walk along a side street on to Main Street for the bus to Dundee via Ninewells Hospital and Perth Road.

After a gentle saunter to the station, it was down on to the platform for my next northbound move. I had noticed 170474 sitting in the southbound bay platform. It was on board the 11:44 Aberdeen service, formed by 43315 (dud) and 43309 for the northbound run to Stonehaven. This was where I would invoke the official doubleback southbound to Laurencekirk on the 12:56, formed by dud 170407 “University of Aberdeen”. As I had a 30 minute break here,I had a gentle saunter around the centre before heading back to the station. While waiting on the northbound platform, the weather had started to become overcast with heavy showers at this point. It was then on the board the 13:44 Aberdeen service (which this journey is a non-stop run to Aberdeen), formed by dud 170419. GBRf 66402 was spotted in the yard south of Aberdeen station attached to some oil tankers.

At Aberdeen, it was straight back on 170419 (now a super dud) for the 14:39 southbound run to Montrose. As it was windswept and chilly with hints of showers, I did not bother having a wander around the environs of the station, so decided to stay put instead. DRS 66432 was spotted hauling containers northbound. It was then on board the 15:33 London Kings Cross service to Arbroath, formed of the same power cars as before. I had a wander round the centre before heading back to the station for the 16:24 southbound service to Dundee, which was formed of super dud 170404.

Upon arrival at Dundee, I had some exercise by having a brief wander around in the 25 minutes that I had. As it was showery, I made my way back to the station for the 17:16 Edinburgh Waverley service, formed by my first winning 170, 170405 “Riverside Museum” for the short hop across the Tay Bridge to Leuchars for St Andrews. As it was chilly here, it was not long for the 17:39 Edinburgh Waverley service, formed by super dud 170470, of where I would alight at Springfield. I think the lady who resides in the station cottage seemed a bit surprised to see me alighting from the train. Anyway, it was a gentle saunter over to the northbound platform for the 17:59 to Cupar, formed by 158730 (winner) and 158702 (super dud).

I took the opportunity to dry myself off a bit using the heater in the waiting room during the 20 minute break, before heading northbound to Dundee on the 18:27, formed by winning 170428. It was a short wait for the 18:54 Carnoustie service, formed by super dud 158732 and winning 158739 for the short run to Golf Street Halt. Due to the short platform, it was the front door of the front unit that I alighted from, alongside one other person. It was then a walk along Links Parade to Carnoustie, in the windswept and horizontal rain climate. I arrived at Carnoustie 6 minutes before I boarded the 19:33 Glasgow Queen Street service to Stirling, which was formed by super dud 170407 that I landed earlier on.

At Stirling, it was over to Platform 9 for the 20:53 Alloa – Glasgow Queen Street service, formed by dud 170474 to Lenzie. There were now blue skies with the sun shining now at this moment. It was over to the other side for the 21:29 local all stations service to Dunblane, formed by super dud 156456, where I would alight at the next stop of Croy. It was a gentle saunter amongst a crowd of people over to the Glasgow platform for the slightly delayed 21:43 local service all the way to Glasgow Queen Street, formed by winning 156449 to finish off the day.

Overall, although it was mostly duds I landed today, by landing 2 winning 170s, I've brought down those requirements to single digits i.e. 9, and one less 156 I need to hunt when I'm next on a crankfest targetting 156s. I have managed to attack 4 awkward stations too in the form of Invergowrie, Laurencekirk, Springfield, and Golf Street Halt. In other words, it is mainly the non-Intercity stations (except Dunbar) I require to board or alight at on North British Railway metals from Berwick-upon-Tweed to Keith. Also, I have never called at Portlethen, let alone boarded or alighted a train there.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
How awkward is Invergowrie? Could be a pain to get when I eventually return to that area!

Looks like you had a good time, didn't hear of the free day returns offer!

adrock1976

Established Member
Invergowrie has a handful of services daily (except on Sundays) that call there.

When I hastily compiled my schedule, basing it on a quick eyeball of the timetable and as a general rule of thumb, you could wait forever for a train coming back in the opposite direction due to the infrequent nature of services that stop there.

In other words, it seems similar to the Lincoln Central - Grimsby Town/Cleethorpes via Market Rasen, in that it appears to be random times with no pattern in particular.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Regarding the free offers, from how I remember things they were publicised back in the second half of March I think. I believe it was 10000 tickets for travel between something like 15th April - 14th June.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fair games, something to remember then, shall be looking through the timetable most carefully for that one.

Must admit I thought of Greater Anglia when you said Abellio!

adrock1976

Established Member
Although I have visited Manchester several times over the years (mainly for meetings) and sampled the railway network, it has mainly been the London & North Western and the Lancashire & Yorkshire metals I've traversed. After recently completing the Cheshire Lines Committee routes earlier on this year, this left me with the Great Central Railway/Manchester, Sheffield & Lincolnshire Railway, and Midland Railway metals to cover, as with the exception of Manchester to Guide Bridge, and the connecting link from Hazel Grove to Midland Railway line to Sheffield, I've hardly covered the aforementioned routes. This was a matter that was needing rectified, as I felt that anything to do with Midland Railway metals in terms of levels of service, infrastructure improvements, etc, are normally last in line, and it would be a sense of injustice if I neglected to cover the MR metals of Manchester.

Anyway, I had the GM Wayfarer issued at the Intercity booking office at Glasgow Central with no problems as I already had a note of the code for it on me. Now, I did not use my normal mode of transport to get me down to Manchester (I used the overnight Stagecoach Megabus, departing Glasgow Buchanan Street at 23:40 the previous night), as I had already dipped into what I had budgeted earlier in the year when I did my previous bashing trip on Sheffield Supertram. As I would arrive at Shudehill Interchange at 04:35 on the Friday morning, I would use this as an opportunity to shack attack both Patricroft and Eccles at the same time, have a large veggie breakfast from a Wetherspoons, and walk to Ardwick to pick up an inbound service to Piccadilly before getting stuck right in to the main bash.

Arrival at Shudehill Interchange was on schedule, and as I had a bit of time to kill, I had a gentle saunter to Lincoln Square, where the statue of Abraham Lincoln is displayed, and his contribution into abolishing the slave trade, of which the city of Manchester overwhelmingly supported. It was then another gentle saunter towards the town hall, then via Arndale Centre back to the football museum and to Victoria station. This early morning stroll helped wake me up, as I took a couple of sleeping tablets before the bus journey.

After collecting some tickets from the machine for these couple of brief spins I was doing (the Wayfarer comes into play after 09:30 on Mondays to Fridays), it was through the gateline to Platform 3 for the 05:39 Liverpool Lime Street service, formed by 156468 and now a new super dud 150134 for the short run to Patricroft. It was left out the station, then left into Cromwell Road, continue into Chadwick Road and Russell Street, left and across Peel Street towards the railway bridge before turning right down a pathway that leads to Vicarage Grove and Eccles station. It was down the stairs to the platform, and while waiting for the Manchester bound service, 319365 was spotted working the 06:09 towards Liverpool.

It was on board the slightly delayed 06:10 Manchester Victoria service, which was formed by 319368. It was then a gentle saunter towards the Piccadilly Tavern, as it opens at 7AM. When I arrived, I noticed a sign mentioning that food is served from 8AM, which that would have been no use to me due to my next planned move. Instead, I walked across in the generic direction of Oxford Road/St Peters Square to my old favourite The Paramount, and got a veggie breakfast and tea there. While conscious of the time, I had to be out the door no later than 07:40 to be on the safe side after I had my breakfast.

I had realised that as I had a cross Manchester return from Stockport to Patricroft, this allowed me to use Metrolink, so I walked the short distance to St Peters Square and took a tram to Piccadilly. I exited though the car park on to Sheffield Street, then left Travis Street, right St Andrews Street, left Fairfield Street, continue across ring road (Mancunian Way), right Chancellor Lane, down to the railway bridge, across to the other side, left into Blind Lane to Ardwick station. I was glad I made it, as I was trying not to lose sight of the railway line along the route. The path from Blind Lane takes you to a very narrow stairway, which appeared to be a steep ascent to track level, continuing past what is probably a relay room (or something to do with the overhead line equipment), then via a rusty bridge to the island platform.

During the 10 minutes or so I had at Ardwick, 185119 and 185135 were spotted heading to Scarborough, 390115 to London Euston, 323228, 323232, 323225, 142036 to Rose Hill Marple, 185139, 390131 to MAN, and 221117 were some of the trains passing through on both the L&NWR and GC/MR metals that I managed to get the numbers of. It was on board for a lonesome me on the 08:23 to MAN, formed of 142003 and 142049. For information, there were 2 passengers who alighted from this service at Ardwick.

After arriving at MAN, it was a brief wander to a convenience store along Piccadilly to purchase something that was cold and wet, due to it being very warm. I wandered back to the station to board the 09:07 Bristol TM service to Stockport, formed by 220011. Now, as this is Friday, and scheduled arrival at SPT is 09:15, you can probably guess as to what my next move would be. It would be indeed me boarding the 09:22 Stalybridge Express ghost train departing from Manchester bay Platform 3a, formed today of 150116, dud 142047, and 142046. There were 5 other passengers with me who boarded this service today at SPT, where we were going all the way to Stalybridge. Also of note, there were an additional 2 passengers who boarded at Denton. On the approach to Guide Bridge, the express was held for a couple of minutes, hence the arrival at Stalybridge being a couple of minutes behind schedule. Also, Freightliner 66601 was spotted attached to coal wagons in the goods yard just after passing Guide Bridge.

It was to the adjacent platform at Stalybridge for the slightly delayed 09:46 Wigan Wallgate via Victoria service, formed by 142041 for the short hop to Ashton-under-Lyne. While waiting for the 10:07 eastbound local all stations to Huddersfield, 185105 was spotted whizzing through with an eastbound Liverpool LS – Newcastle Central service. It was a now new super dud 150144 that did the honours for me for the eastbound run to Greenfield, where it was a very slow trot to the westbound platform to await the next service. It was starting to get busy now, and the 10:36 Wigan Wallgate service was 5 minutes behind schedule according to the screen. It was 142004 (winner) and super dud 142044 that took me on the westbound run to Victoria.

I then went to get something cold and wet again, due to the soaring temperature before boarding the 11:29 local shuttle to Stalybridge, formed by now super dud 150133. It was then a trek from Platform 5 to Platforms 1 – 3 for the 11:50 Liverpool LS service to Piccadilly, formed by 185150 which was quite busy. As I had built in some recovery time, my next intended move was the 12:46 Crewe via Manchester Airport service. However, I glanced at the screens and noticed that the 12:14 local shuttle to the airport was delayed, so immediately made my way to Platform 8, where 323325 was 4 minutes behind schedule and would take me for the short hop to Burnage. On the approach to Burnage, 323229 was spotted departing northbound, and I made a note that it would most likely be the intended 12:46 CRE via MIA departure.

At Burnage, I made my way to the bus stop on the main Kingsway, where a couple of minutes later, the 130 took me for the short hop northbound to Mauldeth Road. It was a short walk from Kingsway to the station, where a few minutes later, it was indeed 323229 that formed the 12:53 departure to CRE, where I would alight at Wilmslow. It is noted that this is the lunchtime southbound departure that calls at Styal, where 2 passengers alighted. At Wilmslow, it was to the other face of the island platform for the 13:27 MAN service from London, formed by 390131 “City of Liverpool” for the short run to Stockport. It was then to Platform 1 to use the lavatory before boarding the 13:51 Alderley Edge service to Handforth, formed by 323226. After alighting, I admired the various signage of the station name in various railway networks, such as Northern Ireland, Netherlands, France, Hong Kong (or somewhere in East Asia), Merseyrail, London Underground, and Docklands Light Railway were some of the signs on the southbound platform.

Anyway, it was over to the northbound platform for the 14:20 MAN service to Levenshulme, formed of fresh dud 323229. It was over to the southbound platform for the 14:43 Alderley Edge service to the next stop Heaton Chapel, which was formed of 323223. As this was a couple of minutes behind schedule, it would be very tight to make the 14:50 northbound MAN service from Hazel Grove or Buxton. Needless to say, due to the booking office being closed after lunchtime, this meant a trek down the lane on the opposite side of the road, then down the ramp and under the bridge on to the northbound platform, and the train pulled away just when I was at the top of the ramp. I noted the number of the unit (possibly the rear one) being 150211, which was dud.

Meanwhile, it was a 20 minute wait for the 15:09 to MAN, which was running a few minutes behind schedule, and was formed of fresh dud 323226 from Alderley Edge. Again, I had built in some recovery time for this section, and made a note of a possible crank by running out to Stockport and back (2 minutes from Platform 1 & 2 to Platform 3 & 4 – it would have been pushing my luck slightly here), which I decided against due to missing the previous departure at Heaton Chapel. Upon arrival at MAN, it was over to Platform 2 for the 15:34 Rose Hill Marple via Hyde Central, which was formed by 142036. I would alight at Guide Bridge, and got myself something cold and wet again from a convenience store, before boarding the 15:55 service to Manchester Piccadilly via Glossop, Hadfield, and Dinting East and West junctions, covering all three sides of the Dinting triangle. This was formed by dud 323232, and I would alight at Flowery Field on the way back from Glossop and Hadfield.

It was a walk towards Carter Street, right Dow Street, left Markham Street, left Johnsonbrook Road and along the cobbled roadway going underneath the railway bridge, then left up some steep stairs to the car park, through a gate on to the northbound platform then over the footbridge to the southbound platform at Hyde Junction/Hyde North. After a minute or two after getting my breath back, the 17:02 Rose Hill Marple service arrived, formed by 142030 for the whole route to RSH and back north to Romiley. There was a heavy shower here, so decided to remain on the platform for my next move. While waiting, Freightliner 66601 that I spotted earlier at Guide Bridge was passing through Romiley northbound with coal wagons, and taking the Hyde Central route. It was soon on board the 17:40 MAN via Bredbury service that was running 4 minutes behind schedule, which was formed by 142053 and 142042 for the hop to Ashburys. It was then over to the other side for the 18:08 Marple service to Brinnington, formed by fresh dud 142030.

You may ask why I chose Brinnington as an alighting point for my next southbound move. As I consulted Google Maps in conjunction with the timetable, and that it is 2 or 3 minutes between Brinnington and Bredbury, it is not easy to walk between these stations due to the motorway being in the way, and would involve a loopy route if walking between the two stations. Also, the trains appear to be timetabled to pass at Brinnington a minute or two apart, which would be pushing luck a bit too far when doing a future crankfest. By choosing to alight here at Brinnington, it makes it easier as I've eliminated an awkward station regarding the timetable.

Anyway, it was on board the 18:28 to New Mills Central (calling Strines), which was formed of 142040 and 142039. It was a wander up the hill into the centre, where I eventually located a supermarket and purchased a meal deal before heading back to the station. It was on board the 19:16 Sheffield service, formed by 142014 for the one stop to Chinley. I had a brief wander round the village centre, with the most notable thing is the local Conservative Club appears to also double up as a local watering hole, with me hearing somebody doing a rather dreadful impersonation of Elvis Presley. It was back to the station and while waiting on the platform, 185107 was spotted whizzing through from Cleethorpes to MIA, and 185141 was spotted soon after in the opposite direction. I began to fantasise about London St Pancras services being reinstated to and from Manchester, calling at either New Mills Central or Chinley, Peak Forest, Millers Dale, Bakewell, Matlock, Derby, Leicester London Road, Kettering, Bedford, St Albans City or West Hampstead Thameslink, and London SP. One can dream :).

It was on board the delayed by 6 minutes 19:55 MAN via New Mills Central service, formed by double duds 142003 and 142049. I was thinking that I would not be able to pick up the southbound service at Marple back to NMC, as my 6 minute connection had disappeared due to the delay. I was thinking that I can do the walk between both New Mills stations another time, and remain on the train to MAN instead. However, on arrival at Marple, I noticed the screen on the southbound platform had my intended 20:14 as 4 minutes delayed, so I alighted here and crossed to the southbound platform. It was on board 142035 for the short hop to NMC, calling at Strines.

It was down the steep pathway to the riverbank, across the bridge, up some steep steps by the mill, then through the car park onto a side street that took me onto the main road, where I continued up the hill to New Mills Newtown. It was through the station car park onto the southbound platform, then over the bridge to the northbound side. I had under ten minutes or so before getting my breath back before boarding the 20:52 MAN service to Stockport, which was formed by 150117 and 150224. It was then onto the 21:17 Crewe service to Wilmslow for me, formed by 323239. The train had to pause for a minute or two at Cheadle Hulme, while both the guard and driver was dealing with something. Anyway, at Wilmslow, it was over to the northbound Styal line platform, for the 21:38 MAN Intercity service from London. This is one of the PSUL trains that avoids the airport spur, running direct Heald Green South – North junctions, meaning that I have today covered all three sides of the Heald Green triangle. The train was dud 390154 “Matthew Flinders” for the non-stop run to MAN, which arrived 2 minutes ahead of schedule.

As I had achieved everything I intended to do today, with everything running smoothly and to plan, I had plenty of time to kill as my Megabus was due at 01:30. I had scheduled a mini crankfest that composed of 3 trips each way to and from Stockport to mainly target Intercity and regional services, and to finish off with a run to the airport and back. I had also made a note of alternative services if my original targeted trains were delayed. It was over to Platform 5 for the 22:07 Birmingham NS service, which was formed by 220023 for the short hop to SPT. As I boarded, there was a couple in the vestibule area, with the lady's suitcase/treasure chest/storage container blocking the doorway, and asked kindly if they would mind moving it so as to let me and any other passengers get by. The item of luggage was moved away and after I proceeded into the saloon area, they obviously muttered something at me and accusing me of being a weirdo.

As the train was getting ready to depart, the lady came into the saloon and sat in the left hand row directly in line with me (as my favourite is the right hand side facing direction of travel, so as to see oncoming trains). I was minding my own business but a few minutes after departure, she tossed a half-eaten snack towards me. I very quickly glanced across to my left, and she then started shouting insults at me, saying that I'm weird, and saying that I need to let Jesus Christ into my life, as I need to be saved. Also, she started to quote some passages from the bible, and that she would do God's work in punishing me. At this moment in time, I could tell that she would have set about me if I gave her the chance, as I saw it in her eyes, and also, it seemed that she had either been dropping some LSD or snorted a few lines of cocaine, or both, as I could tell by her behaviour. Fortunately for me, the train was slowing down as it was approaching Stockport, and made my way towards the front of the train to alight, rather than the nearest door behind me so as I do not get trapped if she decided to set about me. My festival stewarding skills came in handy here, as if an individual is getting heated about something, it is best to have an escape route so as to walk away.

After alighting at SPT, I was immediately next to the stairs which was fortunate, and very gently made my way to Platform 3. As I had 10 minutes before the northbound hop, I tried to gather my thoughts together regarding the commotion that I was caught up in, and started to have a very brief flashback to last summer, when my former partner assaulted me in a drunken rage and snatched my spectacles off me and attempted to break them. I began thinking to myself if I have somewhere inside me a nutter magnet, as I seem to attract most nutters. Meanwhile, after thinking things through, I realised that that is the only downside of today's bash, and that I had already achieved what I had set out to do, and that these few MAN – SPT runs were optional.

Anyway, it was on board the 22:25 to MAN, formed by 220036. It was very quickly across to Platform 8 for the 22:36 Shrewsbury service, formed by 158826. It was then to Platform 3 at SPT for the 22:53 Cleethorpes – MIA service, formed by 185143 to MAN, then on board the 23:10 Buxton service, formed by 150206 and 150141 for my final outward run to SPT. It was over to Platform 3 for the slightly delayed 23:28 final northbound run to MAN, formed by 220018. I purchased something cold and wet again from the Sainsbury's in the main concourse before taking a gentle stroll to the island platforms for what will be the final part of the mini crankfest. It was around a 10 minute wait before boarding the 23:59 MIA local all stations service, formed by 156471 and 156459. At MIA, the train arrived into Platform 1, then it was to Platform 3 for the 00:38 York service, but was altered to Platform 2 due to the heavily delayed 350407 coupled to another 350 arriving into Platform 3. It was 185124 that was to be my final train of the evening for the non-stop run northbound to MAN, where I walked briskly to Shudehill Interchange for the 01:30 Megabus, which was delayed for almost 80 minutes, arriving at Glasgow BBS at 07:15 one hour behind schedule.

Overall, there may have been times when it felt like that I pushed my luck slightly regarding the timings, especially the walk between Patricroft and Eccles, wondering if I would find Ardwick station, the 3 minute connection between the Stalybridge Express and the westbound service to Wigan, the walk between Flowery Field and Hyde Junction/North, the walk between both New Mills stations, and the most critical of all, the 4 minute connection at Stockport for the 21:17 Crewe service to Wilmslow, so as to do the PSUL at Heald Green. Plus, despite me being caught up in some commotion with a passenger when finishing off with a mini crankfest, all the trains I landed were winners, so it was a worthwhile exercise in the end. On a final point, I'm of the view that the stairs from platform to street level at Charing Cross Glasgow are pretty tame compared with the hike from street level to the platform at Ardwick, the hike from Platform 5 to Platforms 1 – 3 at Stalybridge, from street level at Johnsonbrook Road to the southbound platform at Hyde Junction/North, and the walk between the two New Mills stations, where it is not possible to avoid steep gradients.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
That was a long and busy day! Insanely productive though, you certainly must have filled up a lot in your books!

150164 you've got mentioned on the 0922 from Stockport, unless I've missed something that doesn't exist. Typo for 150146 maybe, as 150264 (an alternative typo) isn't a Northern machine.

That was certainly an unusual experience there on the Voyager, a very good thing you know how to deal with such situations!

I may also look at sleeping tablets for my long distance coach journey (National Express this time for me) on 1st August. However conversely I have a feeling I'll be too paranoid to not be 'with it' enough to wake up in a hurry if needs be!

As always an excellent read!

adrock1976

Established Member
Many thanks for highlighting the slight error.

I've had a look back through my notes, and found that it is actually 150116, which I have now fixed above. I mistook the + sign after for a 4, as I was typing up the report in a rush.

My next big bashing trip is in less than 48 hours time, where I will be making my way to London tomorrow, heading out on Thursday via the L&SWR to Exeter to do the Devon Day Ranger, overnight in Plymouth, Friday the Ride Cornwall Ranger, and back to London on the overnight sleeper for my meeting on Saturday along Holloway Road.

For Wednesday late afternoon/ early evening, I'm still trying to decide either to get stuck right in to a crankfest along the GER with the Shenfield locals, or check in at my accommodation in Bayswater and take a spin to Sheerness-on-Sea via Sittingbourne West curve, or alternatively a circular trip from Victoria/Bridge via Redhill, Tonbridge, Hastings, Ashford Intl, South Eastern Railway to Charing Cross.

The Sheerness-on-Sea and Hastings - Ashford are similar fares (the second to Doleham), so I might not decide until I arrive into London tomorrow what I'm going to do.

My bash after that is in the second half of July, where I will be bashing the Valley Lines network around Cardiff. Also, I will be taking the opportunity to cover Hendy Junction - Swansea District Railway curve as the extra train from Builth Road will be running for the Welsh Highland Show.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Crikey you've got a busy time ahead! Jealous of Devon and Cornwall as it's not territory I've really done in ages!

Also, it's the Royal Welsh Show ;)

Kristofferson

Must be festival season... People get off their rocker then on a train! Aside from that, you certainly had a busy one in Manchester...

adrock1976

Established Member
I had this trip planned in draft form over a year ago, fitting in the awkward station calls and all of the branch lines, before First Great Western altered the times of the Intercity services on the Devon & Cornwall routes back in December 2014. So it was back to the drawing board for me, and with a few revisions, I was still able to both the St Budeaux stations by simply walking between them, albeit much later on in the day than originally intended in my first draft (it was to be done just after 10:00). Also, this would involve one or two hair-raising moments regarding connections and walking between stations, especially as I would be laden with a rucksack in very hot weather. When I finalised my revised plans, I was able to travel on services that called at all stations in the region, with the exception of Hayle, which I will be back for at some point in the future. I'll end the introduction by mentioning that that every day of the trip, I had to revise the plans due to either disruption, or using my last minute judgement calls.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Day 1: Journey to London (Wednesday 1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]st[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] July)[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It was an early rise for me and after gathering my stuff together, it was out of the door not long after 7 for the walk to one of my local stations Barnhill for the 07:20 Dalmuir service. With the exception of 320322, all of the electric units that normally run via both the Glasgow low level stations are all dud. It was 318364 that was my chariot for the short hop to Glasgow Queen Street low level, where afterwards I made my way to Central station for the 07:50 Plymouth via Leeds and Birmingham service (no, I was not that mad to do that journey the whole way in a Voyager). This service was formed of [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]220016[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] of which I would take to Edinburgh Waverley via Caledonian Railway metals via Carstairs. This was because I booked a 1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]st[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Class Advance Single, and with the tunnel works at Winchburgh on the North British Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway taking place, the normal E & GR services were truncated at Linlithgow, and it was unclear if there were 1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]st[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Class services on the revised routes or not. 1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]st[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Class was full on the Voyager after Motherwell until Haymarket.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]After I alighted at Edinburgh Waverley, it was a gentle saunter to the 1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]st[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Class lounge where I had a quick couple cups of tea before sauntering over to Platform 8 for the 09:30 London KX service. This was formed by [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]43238 and 43277[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] which I would take as far as York. Why alight at York you may ask me? This is because when I booked the ticket back in April, I put in a via point of either Sleaford or Spalding, so as to get the Newark Northgate – Collingham curve in, as well as covering some new track in the southern section of the Great Northern & Great Eastern Joint Railway between Lincoln Central and Peterborough. Due to the very hot weather, there were some temporary speed restrictions along both the North British Railway and North Eastern Railway sections of the main line in various places, causing the train to be running 5 minutes or so behind schedule upon arrival at York.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It was then simply straight across to the opposite face of the platform to the London bay for the 12:03 London KX service that calls at most of the Intercity stations on its way there. This was formed by [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]43xxx and 43311[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] of which I would take as far as Newark Northgate. It was then a rapid dash across the platform for the 13:02 Peterborough via Lincoln Central service, which was formed by [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]153302[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]. It was quite heavily loaded after departing Lincoln Central, but started to lighten the load towards Sleaford. After alighting at Peterborough and after I went to the lavatory, this was when problems began to happen.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]After answering the call of nature, I glanced at the departure screen and found that my intended train, the 15:09 to London KX, was cancelled. I was slightly disappointed as this was going to be the EMT on hire to VTEC IC 125. While I was gathering my thoughts together, the 14:5x KGX IC service pulled in across the opposite side of the station, and with me being laden with a rucksack, I knew that there was no way I would make it across in time and also, due to the heat, I would probably collapse if I launched myself into a mad sprint, so I let that one go. I then realised I would get a bit of Delay Repay due to the cancelled booked service I was intended to be on, so decided to get on a train that calls at all stations on the way to Stevenage at least, as they only receive an hourly service most of the day north of Huntingdon.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Anyway, after picking up a timetable booklet from the booking office, I settled for the 15:16 KGX Great Northern Thameslink service, which was formed by [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]317342[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] for the southbound trip to Welwyn Garden City. After having a brief wander to the shopping centre where it was nice and cool, it was in the direction of Platform 3 for the 16:43 London Moorgate service, formed by [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]313063 and 313043[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]. This meant that I have now got the Welwyn GC flyover covered as some more new track today, although it was not intended. I would alight from this service at Potters Bar, where while waiting for the 17:03 southbound KGX service, the paramedics were called to the train in the northbound platform due to somebody fainting. Just before the northbound service was cleared to depart, it was [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]317338[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] that did me the honours of taking me southbound all the way to KGX.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Now then, I had a few options in my mind of what to do next when I arrived in London and checked in at my accommodation near Queensway tube station. It was either to go for a spin from either Victoria or London Bridge via Redhill to Tonbridge, onwards to Hastings and Ashford International calling at Doleham, then back to Charing Cross via South Eastern Railway. Another idea was to take a spin to Sheerness-on-Sea via Sittingbourne West Junction. Obviously, due to my later arrival in London, that had eliminated those two options for me. My third option was to embark upon a linear crankfest along the Great Eastern Railway as far as Brentwood, then straight back to my digs for the evening, which was the option I went with in the end.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]My crankfest started with me making my way on the Central Line from Queensway to Liverpool Street. I was so glad to get rid of the weight off my back. The marker started with the 19:30 Shenfield metro service to Maryland, which was formed by [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]315852 and 315858[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]. I had worked out that there are 11 standard diagrams on the LST – SNF metro service, so was attempting to go for all of them. By doing this cranking session in a linear style, this would mean that I would have at least 10 minute festers at each place I alight at. At Maryland, 90003+82102 (with some former VT coaches) was spotted on a westbound service to LST. It was on board [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]315845 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]“Herbie Woodward” [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]and 315842 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]to the next stop Forest Gate, where 321426 and another 321 was spotted whizzing through eastbound, while 321120 was spotted westbound. This seemed to be a busy stretch as 90042 was hauling containers eastbound, 317886 was in Platform 2 eastbound, 66610 was hauling Lafarge Cement wagons eastbound, Platform 4 321319+321328 whizzing through eastbound, while 321308 whizzed through Platform 3 westbound.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]After that hive of activity in such a short space of time, it was then on board [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]315849 and 315851[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] to Manor Park,where 321358 was spotted heading westbound, with 317510 heading eastbound. In addition, Intercity services 90012+82105 westbound (which I was to spot again at Goodmayes later on) and 82102+90003 eastbound were also spotted here. It was then on board [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]315857 “[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Stratford Connections” [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]and 315831[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] to Ilford, where 66747 was spotted hauling containers, 315809+315807 and 321427+321316 were spotted whizzing through westbound. It was then on board [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3158861 and 315838[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] to Seven Kings, where GBRf 66754 was spotted hauling containers eastbound, 2 x 360s eastbound whizzing through, Freightliner 66556 hauling containers westbound with 90014+82126 whizzing through with an Intercity service westbound.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It was then on board [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3158844 and 315847[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] to Goodmayes, where it was the return of 82105+90012 heading eastbound, before boarding [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]315841 and 315821[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] to Chadwell Heath, where 3213x0 was spotted heading eastbound with a Braintree service. I continued eastbound on [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]3158836 and 315833[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] to Gidea Park, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]315854 and 315820[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] to Harold Wood, [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]315839 and 315827[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] to Brentwood, and finally [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]315834 and 315824[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] to Shenfield. It was on board the 22:08 westbound to Stratford from Platform 2, formed by [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]321438[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]. It was then on the train that was immediately behind it to LST, formed by [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]321320[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] then onwards to Queensway via Central Line to get a nights rest.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Stay tuned for the next installment.[/FONT][/FONT]

Last edited:

Established Member
Wow.
A very busy day you had there.
There can't be too many people who get runs on a 153, a couple of 313s, a 318 and a hatful of 315s in the same day!
Some good reading there, I'm looking forward to the next part.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Sounds like a busy day.

I agree, always good when checking in to get rid of some weight and get a job out of the way before heading out elsewhere.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow! An incredibly busy day there, and a ton of variety too. Good work on getting some required track on the way down!

A lot of required trains scored there no doubt too!

adrock1976

Established Member
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Day 2: Devon Day Ranger Thursday 2nd July[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It was an early rise after a decent night's sleep, and after showering and some breakfast, it was check out from the digs at 08:30. I made the short stroll to Queensway tube station for an eastbound service, changing at Oxford Circus for the southbound Bakerloo to Waterloo.I was not really going at my normal walking pace as it was hot weather and me having a rucksack on my back, so it was very gentle strides instead so as to avoid raising my body temperature excessively. My intention was that I would be making the outbound journey via London & South Western Railway metals, and returning back via Great Western Railway metals (via Bristol Parkway/Stoke Gifford on the sleeper) the next day, arriving Paddington on Saturday morning.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]After glancing at the departure board, it was to Platform 11 for the 09:20 Exeter SD service, which was formed of 159011 (EXD) and 159014 (Bristol TM). I took my position in the front unit in the 1st Class area of the train (I got a reasonably cheap 1st Class fare when I booked this back in April). This service would call at Clapham Junction, Woking, Basingstoke, Andover, Salisbury (where the train would divide), then all stations except Whimple to EXD. It would be my first time being on a non-stop run between CLJ and Woking. I was served a complementary tea and biscuit twice during the journey, which as it is a regional service rather than a traditional Intercity service, was all that I expected.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As my original intention was to alight at Pinhoe and let my Devon Ranger kick in and to cross to the London platform for the short hop to Honiton, I decided against that due to the level crossing and the absence of a bridge (many thanks to Kite for a snippet of advice, as I perceive him to be the expert with things relating to L&SWR metals). Instead, I pulled back my alighting station to Feniton, where just as I alighted, there was a massive downpour that was needed to clear the humid air. Now, as I had my t-shirt and shorts on, I decided to go into the shelter and dig out my jeans and kagoule from my rucksack, take off my footwear, put on my bottoms, put my footwear back on, and put on my kagoule. I do not know if anybody had witnessed me dancing around like a crazed lunatic while I was putting on my bottoms, due to the shelter having clear glass panelling and a slight view of the car park from the rear of the shelter.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]This 25 minute fester seemed to go quick, and before I knew it, 159009 pulled in on the 12:47 service to take me to the next stop in the London direction at Honiton. It was still a very heavy downpour when arriving at Honiton, so I spent the next 20 minutes in the booking office. The 13:16 EXD service was showing on the screen as being formed of a 5 car service, which I predicted that it would be 1 158 and 1 159 coupled together, and my prediction was correct. It was 158887 and dud 159107 that rolled in to take me all the way to Exeter SD, where it arrived a couple of minutes ahead of schedule, and with sunny skies again.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]My intention for my next move was the 13:58 Paignton service. However, on the adjacent face of the island platform I arrived at, I noticed on the screen that the 13:43 XC Plymouth service was slightly delayed, so I hung about to see what would arrive. My eyes lit up like stars in the sky and visualisations in my mind of dancing for joy when it was an IC 125. It is many years since I last travelled on an IC 125 on the Crosscountry routes, so you could probably understand my delight. It was 43285 and 43378 that took me to the next stop Newton Abbott. In the other face of the island platform, it was 143618 that was working the local Newton Abbott – Paignton short workings, which was on the 14:10 departure.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As I was 30 minutes ahead of my intended schedule, I took the opportunity to have a wander around the centre of Paignton, which it is a pleasant town, hence this part of Devon being referred to as the English Riviera. After purchasing some lunch and something cold and wet, it was back to the station for my intended 15:13 departure and to pick up some timetables for that if in the event my bashing schedule falls apart, I can work out a rescue plan if need be. It was 143603 and 153369 that formed the Exmouth service, which I took all the way there and back towards St James Park. There was a brief wait of a few minutes at Dawlish Warren so as an IC 125 to London could overtake. Further into the journey, it was a wonderful sound listening to the engines thrashing uphill between EXD and EXC.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]After alighting at St James Park after the run to Exmouth, it was a walk to Exeter Central. As it was my intention to crank a couple of 159s before my run to Barnstaple, this did not go to plan as intended. I got slightly confused when I entered EXC from the London end and ended up on the London bound platform rather than the Barnstaple/Plymouth platform (there are no signs that make it clear which direction the platforms are at the London end entrance point), and missed the intended 17:38 EXD service, which was a 159. However, I boarded the 17:46 Paignton service, formed by 150249 for the short downhill hop to EXD. It was then a short wait for the 17:57 service to Barnstaple, which was formed by 150234 and being the evening service away from Exeter that is scheduled to call at all stations. It is noted that there were 2 passengers who alighted at the very first request stop of Newton St Cyres, and I believe that the driver operates the level crossing at Eggesford before drawing into the platform for the Exeter bound service to pass at the station. One of the stations along the line, Yeoford, sounds phonetically similar to Yeovil – I wonder how many disorientated passengers have potentially found themselves at the wrong location? Also of note was the thrashing of the engines while traversing the uphill gradients towards Barnstaple, of which the last time I heard the thrashing sound of 150s was when I was still residing in my native West Midlands (the Stourbridge line was my local line, with the uphill section being between Cradley Heath and the M5 between Rowley Regis and Langley Green. This route was operated by 3 car hybrid 150s at that time after taking over from the 115s/116s slam door stock).[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]It was back downhill to EXD on the same unit, passing 143619 and 153380 at Eggesford that would form the 20:34 departure from Barnstaple. Arrival at EXD was more or less on schedule, and this was where I had 2 options for my onward journey to Plymouth. The first option was reasonable, although it would require some concentration on my part, with the second option being rather optimistic and relying on the 20:16 London – Penzance service running no more than 5 minutes late (this is the early evening service that calls Ivybridge). However, as the service from Barnstaple arrived in Platform 1 and with the 20:16 service to Penzance being in Platform 4 and due to depart at 20:19, there was no way I could make it across with less than a minute to spare, so let that option go. I then intended to go for my original option of getting the 20:20 Paignton service to Teignmouth and back to EXD, but due to a lapse in concentration, I had forgot it was close to departure time and was from Platform 5, so I unintentionally let that one go.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Instead, I studied the departure screen, and noticed that there was a 20:45 westbound departure, but was running at first 15 minutes late, then 20 minutes late. As there was a Waterloo service due soon at 20:27, I decided to make use of some dead time and take a gamble by doing a short hop to EXC and back. It was on board duds 159014 and 159009 for the uphill thrash to EXC, then across to the opposite platform for the 20:39 WAT – EXD service back down the hill on dud 159011. Not much luck in landing required 159s then, but I can do a future crankfest between WAT – CLJ with 159s being the main target.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Another glance at the departure screen had the 20:45 XC Plymouth service running 25 minutes behind schedule, so I went for a brief wander outside EXD, and found the convenience store closes at 8, as do most of the few stores in the vicinity of the station. This seems rather surprising to me, due to EXD being an Intercity station and having a large footfall, meaning that the convenience store would most likely be missing out on passing trade. Also of note before my brief wander outside, I did consult the timetable to see if I could take a run northbound/eastbound to Tiverton Parkway, but would not make the late running 20:45 there so decided against it. This means that in the Devon and Cornwall postcode areas, I have 1 station to call at in EX (Tiverton Parkway), 1 in TQ (Ivybridge, as I did not fancy hanging around for the 22xx from EXD that calls at Ivybridge, due to me starting to feel shattered), 1 in TR (Hayle), and none in PL as it presently stands, subject to me successfully completing the track and station calls along the Gunnislake and Looe branch lines.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]As I had settled on some linear cranking on my way to Plymouth after consulting the timetable, it was on board the delayed 20:45 which was formed by 2200xx (maybe 04 – it was a 4 car Voyager and I got the last 2 digits from the number on the third coach facing Plymouth, so unsure if that is right. If true, this would be a dud unit as I landed it on a EDB – Haymarket crank) departing at 21:11 for the short hop to Newton Abbot. After glancing at the screens, the 21:45 “The Armada” was running 15 minutes behind schedule, so I went for a quick wander into the centre and back towards the station. I found a convenience store and purchased a snack and something cold and wet (I always seem to get peckish when cranking for some reason) before returning to the platform and boarding 43098 and 43133 to the next stop at Totnes. The 22:18 XC service to Plymouth was running 8 minutes behind schedule, which was formed by 221131 to take me to Plymouth where I stayed overnight at the Travelodge at Derry Cross.[/FONT]

Day 3 in Cornwall to follow.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Are you sure it was Yeoford they passed rather than Crediton or Eggesford?

As for 159s between Waterloo & Clapham, remember only half the services call at Clapham (generally the ones from/To Exeter), and it's pick-up only from Waterloo to Clapham.

Sounds like a busy day in Devon :)

adrock1976

Established Member
Are you sure it was Yeoford they passed rather than Crediton or Eggesford?

As for 159s between Waterloo & Clapham, remember only half the services call at Clapham (generally the ones from/To Exeter), and it's pick-up only from Waterloo to Clapham.

Sounds like a busy day in Devon :)

Many thanks for pointing out my error - I knew it was a station that ended in -ford. I've fixed this now and it is highlighted in red.

Also, many thanks for that piece of advice regarding Clapham Junction calls being pick up from Waterloo. I would like to mention that at Waterloo, the guard mentioned that the first calling point would be CLJ. I will have a timetable with me and keep an eye out for the pick up only at CLJ.

It was my intention indeed to have a busy day in Devon so as I could make as much use out of the ranger covering as much track as possible.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Day 3: Ride Cornwall Ranger Friday 3rd July

It was another early rise for me again, and after showering and getting things together, I checked out and was out of the door at 07:20 for the uphill walk to Plymouth station via Armada Way. I had purchased 2 additional tickets online, so collected them from the machine. They were a PLY – Liskeard single, and a Coombe Junction Halt – Looe single (the Ride Cornwall Ranger allows use on the 08:2x westbound departure from PLY, but it was the one before at 07:53 I was travelling on, and also the ranger can be used on the 08:33 departure to Looe from LSK, but I wanted my entry point at Coombe Junction Halt recorded on the system). It was to Platform 4 for the 07:53 Par service, which was formed by 150130 for the ride to Liskeard, calling at Saltash and St Germans after crossing the Tamar by means of the very impressive Royal Albert Bridge.

After alighting at LSK, I exited via the London platform onto the road that runs over the bridge to the west of the station. As I had the directions from Google Maps, this seemed pretty straightforward as all I had to do was veer right down a lane to take me to Coombe Junction Halt. More importantly, I had at least 20 minutes to do the walk in (departs Coombe Junction Halt at 08:42), and it was downhill. However, I must have missed the lane that I was supposed to veer right on to (I noticed something that was not much wider than a space for a motorbike that I had passed – that was probably the route I should have gone), and instead carried on downhill to the end. I had also heard a train horn and immediately thought that I had missed it, therefore blowing my chance of doing the trip to Looe. So I gently sauntered along, came to the end of the road keeping an eye out for oncoming traffic due to the road being narrow and having no pavements, saw the track, turned right into another lane, underneath a bridge that carries the line to LSK, following the railway line until I came to a farmyard type level crossing, and turning right without crossing the track onto a footpath that took me to the platform, where I saw the train sitting there with the tail lights still shining, so made a mad sprint for it, and finally got on board 153382 for the trip downhill to Looe through wonderful scenery, while getting my breath back and mopping my brow. Of note, there was only myself that boarded at Coombe Junction Halt, and one passenger who boarded at the request stop of Sandplace.

It was back uphill to LSK via Coombe Junction Halt, then a hike from Platform 3 to the Penzance platform for the 09:50 westbound service. While waiting, 221122 was spotted working the 09:50 northbound XC service to Glasgow Central via Leeds and Edinburgh Waverley, before boarding a busy 150247 to take me to the administrative centre of the county of Cornwall, Truro. Just before I left Truro station, I had spotted 43098 and 43133 working the 10:42 departure to London, which I had landed these power cars last night between Newton Abbot and Totnes on “The Armada” service.

After taking a brief wander outside, it was back to the station for the 11:20 shuttle service to Falmouth Docks, which was formed by a double 153 (should it be a 155 if it's a pair coupled together, as it was originally?) in the guise of winning 153329 and now super dud 153369 (which I landed on the Paignton – Exmouth – St James Park leg yesterday). I had a walk from the docks via Marine Crescent into the centre of Falmouth, and purchased some lunch before making my way to Falmouth Town station. I had misjudged which street to turn into , and when I eventually arrived at Town station, I heard the engine drawing light gentle power, and when I reached the platform, unfortunately it was the tail lights that I saw of my intended 12:23 Truro service that I had just missed (My intention was to do both diagrams).

While waiting on the platform for the next Truro service at 12:53, I had lunch, plus attracted a nutter who could not seem to understand a word I was saying and from what I made out was travelling to Roche. I explained that I was getting the bus from Truro to St Columb Road and onward to Newquay, but was confused in what I was explaining. After alighting at Truro, it was to the bus stop on the hill near the station forecourt where after a few minutes, a First Group bus took me to the bus station in the centre of the city. Now if I had not missed the 12:23 from Falmouth Town, I would have walked as I had built in some recovery time, plus I had some money on me for a taxi if it was that critical.

It was on board the First Group 93 service that departs at 13:40 for the journey to St Columb Road Co-op via Newquay Road. As it was a double decker, I was surprised how it managed to navigate a couple of narrow lanes in St Erme. Also, the interior of the upper deck seemed like more of a coach style that were found on school hires in the 1980s. On arrival at the Co-op at St Columb Road, it was a short walk to the station passing a hostelry with the name of “The Queen and Railway Inn” with a hairdressing salon named “Chopping Block”. Needless to say, I had fantasies of there being a guillotine somewhere in the back of the salon, where the various hangers on of the monarchy could be sent to for a haircut that they would not anticipate :). Furthermore, after turning right at the crossroads junction, it was a short walk along a cul-de-sac veering left, passing what looked like a workshop or mini scrapyard containing some traditional 1970s Volkswagen campervans that were stripped back to their bodyshell, and then over the track by means of the foot crossing onto the platform.

As I had under 15 minutes before the 14:40 Newquay service was due, I consulted the timetable for curiosity regarding my first train of the day (07:53 ex-Plymouth) that terminated at Par, and could find no corresponding return working soon after. This meant that I had a sneaky suspicion that the unit I would land would be 150130, which would be a dud. When the train arrived into the platform, it was indeed 150130 that was working the Par – Newquay shuttle service. I flagged it down due to St Columb Road being a request stop – the first time I've ever had to flag a train to stop for me to board. It was heavily loaded for the run to Newquay, with some of the passengers being in a somewhat merry mood. When the hoards alighted at Newquay, it was a pity that some of them did not take their empty cans with them. Anyway, I remained on board for the run eastbound to Par, which was largely uneventful.

It was across to the opposite face of the island platform for the 15:52 Cardiff Central service, which was a couple of minutes behind schedule. It was 150131 that was doing the honours on this service today – fortunately, my indulgence of masochism is limited to supporting Aston Villa and my adopted team Partick Thistle, as I would only be going as far as St Budeaux Ferry Road, also calling at Menheniot which has a limited service. I had positioned myself in the rear car by the second set of doors (as viewed from the rear of the train) for a quick exit up the ramp and across the road to St Budeaux Victoria Road. Now when I drew up a draft last year of this bashing trip, my original intention was to do both these stations in the morning, off the 10xx westbound Penzance service and onto the Gunnislake service that would be behind. Unfortunately, the December 2014 timetable change meant that this plan was not possible at that time of day due to there being no services calling at Ferry Road until late afternoon, hence the reason for doing it at this time, and building everything else around it and the Coombe Junction Halt call.

When walking down the ramp at Victoria Road, I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I saw passengers already on the platform, meaning that I had made the connection (I was 5 minutes down on arrival at Ferry Road – there were 6 minutes to get between the two stations and onto the 16:48 Gunnislake service). I had previously worked out from Google Maps that as the Gunnislake branch is single track after diverging from the main line, the Cardiff service passes the junction before the Gunnislake service crosses over onto L&SWR metals east of the two St Budeaux stations. Anyway, it was 150123 that arrived to take me uphill through some wonderful scenery with some thrashing of the engines to Gunnislake, and back downhill to Plymouth, where I had something to eat.

My intention was to board the 18:42 London – Penzance service however, the screens were displaying that it was delayed by 30 minutes. This led me to think about abandoning the St Ives branch and save it for next time, due to it missing the 21:48 from St Erth by 10 minutes. At this moment in time while waiting on the platform, I rummaged in my rucksack for my hooded top, as it was starting to get slightly chilly. I then consulted the timetable booklet and worked out that I could do the St Ives branch subject to the 19:01 XC service running on time or even arriving at St Erth a couple of minutes early. There was a manual announcement that the 19:01 XC Penzance service would be departing 5 minutes early, so it was 220030 that took me to St Erth Remember the nutter I bumped into at Falmouth Town earlier who was going to Roche? I met him again on this train walking through after I settled down. He asked me if I made it to Newquay and replied that I did so indeed, and that I also made it to Gunnislake, but he could not understand what I was saying. He left at Truro, with several other passengers who alighted as well, and I continued westbound towards St Erth arriving at 20:46, 5 minutes ahead of the scheduled timetabled call.

It was over the footbridge to Platform 3 for the 21:48 shuttle service to St Ives, which was formed by 150244 and 150122. It is noted that the sea was pure blue at St Ives. I then positioned myself in 150122 by the front door for the return journey so as to make it over the bridge to Platform 1 for the 21:20 London – Penzance service to take me to the end of the line at Penzance, formed by 43071 and 43027 “Glorious Devon”. It was then across to the platform where the sleeper train was sitting and due to depart at 21:45, which was hauled by 57603 “Tintagel Castle”, with 08410 having brought it in from the depot and was detached at the buffer end. After checking in my solo berth (£49 was reasonable compared with the Scotland sleepers), I had some complementary refreshments in the form of orange juice and a pot of Earl Grey tea with shortbread in the lounge car, some more later on, and retired to my bed after departure from Plymouth.

I woke up in London after 7AM to the complementary tea and croissant, alighted afterwards and sampled the 1st Class lounge on the same platform. After waking up properly, I made my way across London to the top part of Holloway Road via Circle Line and Victoria Line to Highbury & Islington, then bus to my meeting venue. It is noted that I had originally flirted with the idea of getting the 05:31 PSUL service that runs from Liverpool Street – Enfield Town via South Tottenham West and East Junctions, but realised that I would only have a minute or two to get from the underground platforms to the mainline platforms at Liverpool Street, so decided that it can wait another day or when there happens to be a diversion when I'm around in London at the time.

Saturday evening and Sunday cranking to follow.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Another busy and excellent day there, jealous of you getting 150131 as it's only of my last 5 150s with FGW to get!

adrock1976

Established Member
London Liverpool Street cranking Saturday 4th July

After my meeting and a bit of socialising afterwards in The Coronet, I made my way to my digs at Queensway from Highbury & Islington via Victoria Line and Central Line, changing at Oxford Circus. It was back to the tube station after check in and dumping my rucksack for the Central Line to Liverpool Street. It should be noted that earlier on this year, I did flirt with the idea of doing a circular route to Kent so as to get in the Doleham station call, out via Redhill and Hastings to Ashford and returning via Sevenoaks and Orpington. Due to engineering works between Redhill and Tonbridge (I think that was the location of my intended route), I abandoned that idea. I had also thought about going for a spin on a 395 Javelin trip from Gravesend – Ebbsfleet International via Margate, Dover, and Ashford International, but realised that to do it in both directions would mean that I would not have checked into my digs after midnight. Needless to say, that idea was also abandoned, so I decided on some random cranking somewhere within the London zones.

Anyway, I settled on cranking the recently acquired London Overground routes operating from Liverpool Street. As I had already bashed the track in this area last year, I thought that I might as well have a mini crankfest before LO introduces a fleet of trains in the next couple of years. With the timetable booklets in my hand for both the Chingford and Enfield Town/Cheshunt services, I had calculated that there would be 11 standard pattern diagrams in total for both routes (5 for Chingford, and 3 each for Enfield Town and Cheshunt).

I started off with the 21:15 Cheshunt service for the short hop to Bethnal Green, which was formed by 315817 “Transport for London”. It was a short wait for the 21:21 Chingford service, which was formed by 315814 to take me to St James Street. It was then across to the opposite platform for the 21:36 LST service, formed by 315811 to take me to Clapton, across to the opposite platform for the 21:43 Chingford service, formed by dud 315802 (I landed this last year when track bashing these lines) to Walthamstow Central. It was like navigating a way through a maze to get across to the opposite London bound platform, but I eventually made it for the 1 minute behind schedule 21:49 LST service, formed by 315804 back to Clapton. After nipping out to a nearby convenience store for something cold and wet, it was back to the station for the 21:58 Chingford service to Wood Street, formed by 315808. As I have already landed five different trains along the Chingford line, by my reckoning it would mean that any further winners and different numbered units interwork with the Enfield Town and Cheshunt routes.

As Wood Street is a couple of stops from the end of the line, I knew that by getting the next LST service would be dud, so I decided to have a brief wander outside the station before jumping on the next Chingford service 15 minutes later. It was back to the station for the 22:20 Chingford service to the next and penultimate stop at Highams Park, formed by 315812. My suspicions turned out to be true, as this unit must have come from Enfield Town or Cheshunt, therefore making this my seventh diagram across both routes I've landed so far. Anyway, it was a hike across to the London platform for the 22:29 LST service to Hackney Downs, formed by dud 317891. It was then across to the island platform for the 22:44 LST service to Cambridge Heath, formed by 315801.

I went across to the northbound platform to await the 22:50 Cheshunt service and found that it was formed by 315802, meaning that it was dud, so I made the decision to decline boarding this for the one stop to London Fields. This may or may not have turned out to be a decision that would have an effect regarding getting all 11 diagrams across both routes. Instead, I walked along Mare Street and down a side street to London Fields station, where I waited for the 23:16 LST service that was formed by fresh dud 315811 for the trip back to Liverpool Street. It is noted that while waiting on the platform, there was a group of four or five passengers that composed of 2 lassies consuming intoxicating beverages out of a can, and that the LO staff member had asked them to finish it and get rid of it.

At LST, it was on board the 23:33 Enfield Town service for the one stop to Bethnal Green, formed by 315806. As this was my tenth different unit I've landed, this meant that there was only one to go. However, as time was getting on and I was starting to feel tired, I decided to make my way back to my digs, so went across to the LST platform to await the 23:47 service, which was dud. I hung about for the 23:50 service, which was fresh dud 315814 that I took back to LST. While waiting, I had noticed 2 units coupled together working the 23:48 Cheshunt service, and noting that the rear unit was required 315816, meaning that would most likely have been the eleventh diagram I was after and would have got had I not declined dud 315802 at Cambridge Heath. From Liverpool Street, it was down to the Central Line to head back to Queensway and to put my head down for the night.

Great Eastern Railway and North London Railway cranking Sunday 5th July

As my morning meeting had been cancelled, I decided to do some mini cranking before I went along to my lunchtime meeting. After checking out of my digs, it was the Central Line from Queensway to Liverpool Street. I glanced at the departure screens and noticed that there were some LO departures close together, so went to check out what was working the 10:00 Enfield Town service. It was a dud from last night. Checked out the 10:03 Chingford service – again, this was another dud from last night, so checked out the 10:15 Cheshunt service, and guess what? It was indeed another dud from last night. With 3 out of the 11 LO standard diagrams being dud, I went to try my luck with the soon to be London Crossrail and was rewarded with the 10:17 Gidea Park service being formed by 315823 (dud, I landed this last year) and winner 315825 for the short hop to Stratford.

As my lunchtime meeting was due to start at 1PM, I decided not to venture too far away, due to it being a Sunday with fewer services and possible engineering works. After a fester of 15 minutes while seeing a couple of 357s working services bound for the London, Tilbury, & Southend Railway, it was on board the 10:42 Shenfield service that was formed by 315830 and 315819 for a run to Ilford along the Intercity lines (not sure which is “Mains” and which is “Electric” - they are both electrified at 25kV AC overhead) due to the local lines being closed for engineering works. Also, on the eastbound run to Ilford, I had spotted dud pair 315844 and 315847 heading to LST. At Ilford, it was over to the London Intercity platform for the 10:54 local LST service, formed by 315832 and 315850 for the run back westbound to Stratford. On the way to Stratford, I had spotted 315859 and 315828 eastbound with a Shenfield service, which were required, and 315851 and 315849, plus 315857 and 315831, which were all dud as I had already landed them on Wednesday evening.

It was during the fester I had at Stratford while waiting for my targeted 315s to come back from Shenfield that there was an announcement that a bridge had been struck at Witham. This obviously meant that for regional and Intercity services beyond Shenfield would be running haywire at some point in the very near future during the course of the day. I did think about cranking a couple of 321s on a short Stratford – LST leap and back, but abandoned that when the disruption was announced. At least if time would be too late to get my targeted 315s to LST, I could nip across to Platforms 1 & 2 for the LO service to Highbury & Islington if need be.

In total, it was an hour's fester I had while waiting for the required units. During this time, the 357s that I saw earlier heading eastbound onto LT&SR metals came back, 315851 and 315849, and 315819 and 315830 heading to LST, which I declined. Also, at around 11:30, 66953 and 66506 were passing through in a westbound direction, possibly onto Tottenham Hale route with what looked like NR conveyor belt wagons for track ballast. Eventually, the 12:02 LST service was my required and targeted 315859 and 315828 that took me on the short run to LST. It was then onboard the 12:14 Southend Victoria service to Stratford, formed by 321322 and 321303, where it was across to Platforms 1 & 2 for the 12:25 LO Richmond service, formed by 378232 for a reasonably short trek to Highbury & Islington, and a short walk along Holloway Road for my meeting.

After my meeting finished, it was back south to Highbury & Islington station and as I had just over an hour before the 16:00 Kings Cross – Edinburgh Waverley was due, I decided to do some more mini cranking between HHY and Hackney Wick. It was on the 14:55 Stratford service, which was formed by dud 378210 to Hackney Wick. It was then on the 15:08 Clapham Junction service that was formed by 378205 to Hackney Central, before crossing over to the opposite platform for the 15:19 Stratford service, formed by dud 378204 as far as Homerton. There was some sort of festival or carnival taking place below in the street. It was then over to the opposite platform for a wee fester (the trains are timetabled to pass each other at this station) before boarding 378210 again to take me to HHY. Having positioned myself at the rearmost doors, it was up, across, and down to the Victoria Line to take me to Kings Cross, with 12 minutes to go before departure. It was to Platform 0 (as I suspected as 99% of the time, it has been that platform it departs from) to find 91118 and DVT 82201 forming my service for an uneventful trip northbound. As I had targeted the 21:05 Glasgow Queen Street low level service that runs non-stop from Haymarket, I found that this had been cancelled, so it was onto the 20:40 Helensburgh Central service, which was formed by a pair of dud 334s as expected.

Conclusion​

In regards to my main bash in Devon and Cornwall, I had achieved most of everything I had intended to do. As mentioned previously, due to disruption, I was unable to get the Ivybridge station call, and due to an error on my part by being too distracted in Falmouth, I failed to get the second diagram on the Truro – Falmouth Docks shuttle service. Although I had attracted a nutter at Falmouth Town and later on in the day on the train after departing Par westbound, this must have been a nutter who brought me some good luck, as everything else during the course of that day went as intended. I also got to sample the Night Riviera sleeper in all its glory, covering every inch of GWR metals from Penzance to London Paddington via Bristol Parkway/Stoke Gifford.

My main disappointment was on the Thursday afternoon, with the cancellation of the 15:09 Peterborough – KGX IC service, as that would have been the IC 125 set hired in from EMT. On the other hand though, I managed to take advantage of the situation by getting in the local station calls between Peterborough and Hitchin, and also getting in the Welwyn viaduct south of Welwyn Garden City. During the times I was in London and having decided against doing the Doleham station call in Kent while bashing new track at the same time (and already having it decided against me due to the 15:09 being cancelled), I took the opportunity to crank out trains operating the local services out of Liverpool Street, and in total have got 42 out of 61 315s. Not bad work over the last 12-15 months considering I very rarely venture onto Great Eastern Railway metals when in London.

Furthermore, I did a mini crankfest between Highbury & Islington and Hackney Wick on the Sunday afternoon, with mixed results. On a final point, I will be back in Devon & Cornwall for a future crankfest with IC 125s being my main target, and also to get Ivybridge, Hayle, and Tiverton Parkway station calls in alongside Cranbrook when it will be opened.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A well busy time, and you need less 315s than me so you're doing better than me!

Was cutting it close for your train home mind!

adrock1976

Established Member
The background to this trip was that I had drawn up a draft plan towards the end of last year, with the intention of doing this (sans Middlesbrough – Whitby section) at the end of January 2015. However, something cropped up that day that I could not get out of, so abandoned that plan after it left me some money down due to having got cheap advance fares to Newcastle Central. During Spring 2015, I decided to combine this rough draft together with the East Yorkshire Ranger, some bits in both Yorkshire PTE areas, the part of northern Lincolnshire that was part of Humberside CC from 1974 to the mid 1990s (and overlapped with parts of the East Midlands Ranger and Lincolnshire Ranger), and the Hadrians Day Ranger, and go for the Freedom of the North East Rover on the one ticket instead during mid August, while basing myself in a hostel in York. However, I had to revise my plans again due to unable being away for that length of time, and as I already booked the 1st Class advance fare to Newcastle Central and nothing else back in May (I was going to use some Delay Repay vouchers I had accumulated towards the FNE Rover, and for Chathill – Barnhill to get me home), I decided to revert back to my original plan of the Tyne & Tees Day Ranger that I was doing to do earlier on in the year.

It was an early rise for me and after setting off out at 05:30, it was the predominantly downhill walk to Glasgow Queen Street station. As the mandatory reserved leg was the 07:30 Edinburgh Waverley – London Kings Cross service, I had several options to get me to EDB: either the 06:00 from Queen Street, or the 06:01 Plymouth XC service from Glasgow Central. As I require 9 Scotrail 170s, I opted for the 06:00 from Queen Street, which was formed by winner 170472 and dud 170396 (neither had 1st Class accommodation nor a trolley service, therefore no free of charge cup of tea to give me a kickstart). I decided to bail at Haymarket and knowing that the XC service from GLC would be 8 or 9 minutes behind, would attempt to see if I could land a winning 200 or 221. Unfortunately, this was dud 220007, which I previously landed on a Waverley – Haymarket cranking session, but doubles the mileage anyway. While waiting, I spotted 221143 “Auguste Picard” working the 06:52 EDB – London Euston via Birmingham NS service.

After alighting at Waverley, it was to the 1st Class lounge for some tea before making my way to Platform 8 for the 07:30 KGX service. 07:30 came and went, and it was announced that there was a delay due to a train fault. During the fester, I spotted 67007 sitting at the Newcastle end of Platform 10, and 221126 arriving and departing Platform 8 working the 07:26 XC service to Glasgow Central. Eventually, duds 43296 + 43314 arrived around 07:50 and departed 28 minutes behind schedule for the run to Newcastle. I had ordered porridge for breakfast alongside the usual standard items of toast, orange juice, and tea. It should be noted that the train had accumulated further delays on the way to Dunbar, with it arriving at Newcastle Central at 09:37 – 40 minutes behind schedule and busting (and missing) my connection with my intended 09:30 Nunhead via Hartlepool service to Thornaby.

My first port of call was the travel centre so as I could pick up some timetables after checking the departure screens. I used some logical thinking as how to rescue my plan, and decided to forego the route to Thornaby via Hartlepool and save that for the next time. My next move was on the delayed 09:42 Dundee – Plymouth via Leeds XC, which was running 10 minutes behind schedule and formed of dud 220006, for the run to Darlington Bank Top. I spotted EWS 67024 sitting in the sidings at the western end of NCL. It was to the London bay platforms for the 10:31 Saltburn service (which I would have picked up at Thornaby at 10:51 had I not been delayed on the way to Newcastle) along the Stockton and Darlington Railway, which was formed of 142070 and departed 3 or 4 minutes behind schedule for the run to Middlesbrough.

After having a wander outside, it was back to the station for the 11:27 Manchester Airport service, formed of dud 185127, for the run to Northallerton. Before my intended departure, I spotted 142019 working the 11:21 westbound service to DAR. It should be noted that I covered the section of track between Eaglescliffe and Northallerton back in 1990 when on a trip to Newcastle from Birmingham when the IC125 was diverted from the mainline and rejoined the route south of Durham due to engineering works (most likely the overhead wires being installed for the electrification project, and cannot remember if the train went along the low level lines at Northallerton or passed through the actual platforms). As I had a break here of 30 minutes, I had a wander to the centre and back to the station for the 12:29 Newcastle TPE service for the short hop to Darlington Bank Top, formed of 185145. It was then another acquaintance with 142070 for the 12:53 to Eaglescliffe. It was then a short wait for the 13:12 Sunderland – KGX Grand Central service to Northallerton, formed of 43423 + 43465. It was a comfy interior, with the Standard Open trailers having 68 seats in bays of 4, 8 each side and in alignment with the windows. In my view, this is how Intercity stock should be designed, so as to have a comfortable long distance journey.

It was across to the northbound platform for the delayed by 15 minutes 13:47 Sunderland service to Eaglescliffe, formed by 180101. The engine did not sound very healthy to me. During the fester at Northallerton, I had spotted Freightliner 66570 passing through with containers, 185140 on the 13:39 to Newcastle, 185121 on the 13:40 to Middlesbrough, 185147 on the 13:51 to Liverpool LS, and 185148 on the 13:56 to MIA. These obervations, in particular the TPE services, would later come in handy for another rescue mission as detailed below.

As I had arrived at Eaglescliffe 15 minutes behind schedule, this meant that I had missed the 14:09 eastbound service for the short hop to Thornaby or Middlesbrough, therefore thwarting my intended plan for the next move. After a glance at the screens (which were blank) and the timetable, I realised that I could not make the northbound GC IC125 northbound service at Thirsk or Northallerton. I then decided to have a wander to the bus stop to see if there are any buses to Thornaby out of curiosity, but when I got to the station car park, I heard a train pull in so made a rapid sprint back to the platform for the delayed 14:06 westbound service to Darlington that was running 15 minutes behind schedule, and formed of 142086, entering though the local door at the rear of the unit.

While I was getting my breath back from the rapid sprint, I thought of a rescue plan in that I could get the Liverpool LS service from Darlington to Northallerton, then on the Middlesbrough – MIA service which would be behind it at Northallerton based on my earlier observations while trainspotting. I decided to take a gamble and roll the dice in that upon arrival at Darlington, I should hopefully make the 14:39 Liverpool service, which I did after a dash across from the bay platform. It was formed by fresh dud 185145 of which I landed earlier on a northbound run, and departed 6 minutes behind schedule. On the approach to Northallerton, my luck was in as I spotted the MIA TPE service waiting at the junction for the Liverpool service to arrive and depart.

After alighting at Northallerton, I spotted 91103 + 82209 with a northbound service before boarding the 5 minutes delayed 14:56 MIA (which I would have caught at either Middlesbrough or Thornaby) which was formed of 185121 for the short hop southbound (and past the southernmost point of the Ranger, which I already had the return from NTH – THI) to Thirsk. I have never called at Thirsk, let alone board or alight a service there. It was over to the northbound platform for the 15:14 Sunderland service, which was a couple of minutes behind schedule and formed of 43468 + 43484 “Peter Fox: 1942 – 2011 Platform 5” for the run to Eaglescliffe. While waiting at Thirsk, I spotted 82207 + 91103 “City of York” crawling through with a southbound KGX service.

It was then onboard the 15:47 service to Saltburn, which was formed by 142084 and would remain with me for the westbound trip to Bishop Auckland and back to Darlington. It is amazing the section of the route from Thornaby to Redcar, where the effects of Thatcherism and New Labour are clear to see by means of vast industrial wastelands. Also either side of Middlesbrough station looking north to the Tees, the effects of dreadful “modern architecture” (I use that term loosely) where designers and planners appeared to be on hallucinogenic substances when drawing up their visions, that looked somebody has landed down, plonked the most hideous looking buildings down, and disappeared into the sunset. To me, this makes the famous New Town of “What's it called? Cumbernauld” look like the planners completed the design and knew exactly what they were doing back in the mid 1960s (which they did not, hence having the pleasurable or dubious honour of being the recipient of the Urban Realm's Carbuncle Award – known in Scotland as the “Plook on a Plinth Award” that is given for awfully designed town centres).

The 16:30 Saltburn – BIA service was heavily loaded from Saltburn to Eaglescliffe, which can be attributed to the school holidays and the lovely sunny weather. It did not help that there were quite a lot of passengers who also boarded at Redcar Central as well. On a side note, I had intentionally built my plans around this service as this is the only westbound service of the day that calls at British Steel Redcar, where surprisingly, nobody boarded or alighted and with me explaining to a couple of passengers that it is to fulfill the requirement of calling there so as to avoid going through the closure process. Also, one of my favourite bands Judas Priest released an album in 1980 titled British Steel.

There was plenty of engine thrashing on the uphill section between North Road and Bishop Auckland to attempt to make up time, arriving 12 minutes behind schedule. The 18:05 eastbound departure was only 4 minutes behind schedule for the downhill run back to Darlington Bank Top, finishing off the track bashing for the day. My next move to head back home was the 18:42 Newcastle service, which was formed by 185135 for some linear cranking to Durham. I had a brief wander outside then back to the northbound platform for the 7 minutes delayed 19:19 Glasgow Central XC service to Newcastle Central, formed of dud 43378 + winner 43384. It was here at NCL that it became apparent that the northbound Intercity services were running haywire and took a wander outside to Sainsbury's for a meal deal and back inside for a quick look at the 1st Class lounge before heading back over to the platform.

I was intending to get the 19:45 departure to Edinburgh Waverley, as it calls at Morpeth where I had my 1st Class advance fare booked from. The screen shown that it was running 30 minutes late, so I went for a brief saunter outside for some fresh air. The time was approximately 2010 when I saw a VTEC IC125 pull in with a northbound service to Edinburgh Waverley formed of 43272 + 43295, so boarded that at the front, went to the lavatory, and have a very gentle saunter towards 1st Class so as to be there just before Morpeth. When I got to the buffet car a couple of minutes before Morpeth, the traincrew asked me if I was looking for 1st Class, and I replied that I was, so let me through. I was looking for my reserved seat (M01) and was surprised that no such seat exists, and also, the train did not call at Morpeth much to my surprise.

I pulled out the timetable booklet, and worked out that it was the 19:53 departure from NCL that was 25 minutes behind schedule, and was running in front of the train I was actually booked on for some weird reason. I explained to the guard and offered to leave the train at Berwick-upon-Tweed, but mentioned to me not to worry about it as most of the services are delayed that evening. Upon arrival at Edinburgh Waverley, I had a glance at the arrivals screen and saw that the train I was meant to be on was 4 or 5 minutes behind.

Anyway, I made my way over to the western bay platforms for the 22:00 Glasgow QS via Falkirk High service, formed by duds 170413 + 170403 for the run back west, then on the 23:14 service back formed of dud (all of the 314s, 318s, 320s, and 334s are all dud for me as I have cleared those classes) 320321 back home to Barnhill, arriving 30 minutes later (unofficial, as the train I was meant to be on for the NCL – EDB leg arrived at EDB at 21:52, busting the official connection with the 22:00 GLQ service, and unable to complete the journey to BNL as the last departure is at 23:14, although there is a 23:52 GLQ high level – CUB service to Springburn).

Overall, I managed to cover some new track, even though I was slightly disappointed in that I was unable to the coastal route via Hartlepool. I also had to do 2 rescue missions of my intended plan to get back on track, so to speak. It was always my intention to come back another time for the Middlesbrough – Whitby section, due to the timings and the frequency of the service not fitting in with everything else. I also managed to sample some proper Intercity stock in the form of IC125s in a proper interior layout, a small dent into my requirements of 142s and 185s (albeit by 3 of each), a boneshaker and a sick engine in the form of 180101, completing the bottom side of the Eaglescliffe – Thornaby – Stockton triangle (I will not leave it another 25 years before completing the Thornaby – Stockton side, having previously done Eaglescliffe – Stockton side in 1990), calling at British Steel Redcar, and traversing the world's very first passenger railway the Stockton and Darlington Railway. I will be back for some more at some point in the future.

Last edited:

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
That was a great read. Shame about the shambles though. Just a quick question, do you mean 43423 not 43433? I just want to make sure your notes are correct.

You got my last 2 GC HSTs there (468 and 484) and 1 of my 6 required EC HSTs (296). But it sounds like a fun day.

Status
Not open for further replies.