• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Advice please...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy h

Hi everyone,

Just wanting people's advice/thoughts.

I was recently employed by Virgin Trains after about a year of trying to get in to the rail industry. Although only as a casual weekend CSA. I also work full time through the week as well so as you can imagine I have been very busy lately.

Although I am only 20 and have loads of energy and I am loving it so I don't mind working all the hours. I just really really want to get on full time with them. Though I can't see this happening in the near future due to the WCML franchise.

I have been keeping an eye on the website for full time vacancies and have noticed a CSA job at London and am considering applying (although only fixed term so I would not be transferred over if Virgin lost the WCML and even though I live in the North West.

I was just wondering what your advice was? Do I carry on as I am and hope that if/when Virgin win the WCML some full time vacancy comes up or do I apply for fixed term ones that pop up?

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks
Sam

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Hi everyone,

Just wanting people's advice/thoughts.

I was recently employed by Virgin Trains after about a year of trying to get in to the rail industry. Although only as a casual weekend CSA. I also work full time through the week as well so as you can imagine I have been very busy lately.

Although I am only 20 and have loads of energy and I am loving it so I don't mind working all the hours. I just really really want to get on full time with them. Though I can't see this happening in the near future due to the WCML franchise.

I have been keeping an eye on the website for full time vacancies and have noticed a CSA job at London and am considering applying (although only fixed term so I would not be transferred over if Virgin lost the WCML and even though I live in the North West.

I was just wondering what your advice was? Do I carry on as I am and hope that if/when Virgin win the WCML some full time vacancy comes up or do I apply for fixed term ones that pop up?

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks
Sam

You need to keep an eye on the internal website. I just had a look on there, there are about 10 jobs advertised, three of which are based at Euston and full time. The job you are looking at is for the ticket office, understand there is a lot of competition for a job paying 30k to sit down and bang out a few tickets.

There's nothing to lose by applying - I don't think any new entrants to the TOC are on permanent contracts.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
RJ is right.

You have to remember that Euston is a very busy ticket office indeed! It really is a very hard day's work, sometimes dealing with ungrateful public.

Spend an hour in the ticket office at the peak and see for yourself before making a decision.

That said, if you have the energy (and it sounds like you do - kudos to you) go for it!

Sammy h

Sorry forgot to say I was an onboard CSA (working on the train)

Established Member
Something will come up at this end of the country. They were advertising Liverpool recently.

Sammy h

Yeah I noticed it was only 12 hours though. Need to check the internal vacancy list too, not checked that yet.

I believe it is on the Virgin intranet.

Asian Demon

Yeah I noticed it was only 12 hours though. Need to check the internal vacancy list too, not checked that yet.

I've forgotten but which station you based at? If it's Wolverhampton then check the internal board as two have just shown up. One 25 hours a week and the other 30 hours a week (both onboard). Probably been posted external as well.

Sammy h

Yeah I noticed the external website had them today. Thanks for letting me know.

Based at Preston and live in Lancaster so Wolverhampton is a little far for me.

Asian Demon

Yeah I noticed the external website had them today. Thanks for letting me know.

Based at Preston and live in Lancaster so Wolverhampton is a little far for me.

Just keep an eye out is all I can say. Vacancies are always coming up every so often.

blankBook

Just a quick question, if I fail the aptitude tests how long do I have to wait before I can re-apply for any positions within Virgin Trains?

Established Member
Any position with a similar group standard (ie the same test, eg Dispatch, Ticket Office) for any train company is supposed to be six months.

RJ

Established Member

As you already know, there is usually a lot of rest day working available on a daily basis. You'd be surprised how many people I've heard say they wish they were on a part time contract so they could pick and choose when they work!

Sammy h

Yeah I work full time during the week so can't, plus it's only weekend hours anyway although I have been told if I call during the week I could get hours, which isn't worth giving my FT job up for.

Anyway I have been told a 30 hour contract is coming out next week for Preston so it's looking good. Although got to go through the recruitment process allllllllll over again :(

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Yeah I work full time during the week so can't, plus it's only weekend hours anyway although I have been told if I call during the week I could get hours, which isn't worth giving my FT job up for.

Anyway I have been told a 30 hour contract is coming out next week for Preston so it's looking good. Although got to go through the recruitment process allllllllll over again :(

The bonus is that you already know the job and the requirements...it may be a pain in the bum to do it again but your experience will, I'm sure, work in your favour.

es373

Hello mate

Chiltern and FCC will be recruiting for trainee drivers soon. If driving isn't your cup of tea then submit your CV to the Eurostar Engineers Talent Pool for a train maintainer at temple mills depot :)

Sammy h

Hello mate

Chiltern and FCC will be recruiting for trainee drivers soon. If driving isn't your cup of tea then submit your CV to the Eurostar Engineers Talent Pool for a train maintainer at temple mills depot :)

Was this aimed at me? Will they be recruiting in the North West? Thanks for the info.

es373

Peterborough for FCC so I believe and Birmingham area for chiltern. Not too sure about chiltern though - they are a bloody good company to work for though.

es373

I didn't specifically say North West, Just told the guy about coming vacancies that I know of.
Sorry for any confusion caused!

RJ

Established Member
Noticed that a vacancy for a TM at Euston has appeared on the internal list - the pay is almost 10k pa more than a similar vacancy on the XC website!

Asian Demon

Noticed that a vacancy for a TM at Euston has appeared on the internal list - the pay is almost 10k pa more than a similar vacancy on the XC website!

Can you imagine the amount of applicants for it though. I'm gonna try my luck anyhow. You never know till you try.

Sammy h

The Preston one has come up now.

Only fixed until the end of January so not sure whether to risk leaving my permanent job for it. Big decision if I was to get it.

whhistle

On Moderation
The Preston one has come up now.

Only fixed until the end of January so not sure whether to risk leaving my permanent job for it. Big decision if I was to get it.

No.
Don't leave a permanent position for a fixed term one, unless you KNOW they are making it permanent.

Status
Not open for further replies.