• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Age Limits For Trainee Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bafferty

Hi all,

I know in this day and age companies shouldn't discriminate against age but I'm after some advice about any experiences regarding applications.

I've just applied for Northern Rail trainee driver as max age was 50 I recall from the application. However I have found out from speaking to a member of NR staff that they don't take anyone over 40 because of amount of training/money invested they want to see a good return??

I'm 42 - is it an age thats past it so to speak to avoid wasting time.... I know on paper they can put max age 50 to satisfy requirements but its what they think internally.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1stch0ice

Hi all,

I know in this day and age companies shouldn't discriminate against age but I'm after some advice about any experiences regarding applications.

I've just applied for Northern Rail trainee driver as max age was 50 I recall from the application. However I have found out from speaking to a member of NR staff that they don't take anyone over 40 because of amount of training/money invested they want to see a good return??

I'm 42 - is it an age thats past it so to speak to avoid wasting time.... I know on paper they can put max age 50 to satisfy requirements but its what they think internally.

I don't know much about Northern Rail but at age 53 I was surprised to be offered trainee driver jobs by both Southern and Southeastern.

mtbox

You've been given wrong information. Northern take on many trainees, both drivers and guards well into their 40's and I know of several taken on fairly recently in their early/mid 50's.

A 42 year old has potentially 20+ years of Driving ahead of them, plus they may be viewed by some TOC's as being more settled and less likely to up and leave to do something else than under 30's.

WCMLaddict

Looking at who comes through to our depot from the training school, the member of NR staff has been talking bollocks.

Good luck

carlejo

Hi all,

I passed tests with a TOC back in april 2013 and was eventually taken on in august with a start date of October 2013.......... I was 45 when taken on.
Don't give up

rugi

Just to add to this for any OLD lurkers I applied at age 53 nearly did not apply, Decided it was up to them to say NO not me. So was offered an operator/yard role, good money and a good grounding, Now training for mainline position and should be productive in three months. To think for about two seconds I thought I was being silly and nearly binned my application form. If You want it go for it.

As a side note I am really enjoying it. Tiring but but bloody invigorating, I am lucky to be able to sleep well. I will be 55 when I pass out

Last edited:

302PS

There's a 24 year old (youngest) and a 50 year old (oldest) on my course with northern

Withnailandi

Strewth!!! I was over 42 when they took me on as a guard. Now I'm a driver and 70?????? seriously though! Northern do not discrimate age. A guy on my course was 52. They are a great company to work for and still the biggest in the UK. Good luck.

TDK

Established Member
A company needs 5 years productive work from someone for them to be viable to employ as a driver so if you are going to retire at 65 any age up to 59 you will be given the chance however to be fair if you are over 50 a company will take on someone younger if they are up to the same standard. When interviewing an interviewer takes into account the social life of a younger person will be more active than someone at 50 (normally), younger people have kids and a big mortgage and will have to work to pay the bills where someone at 50 may be solvent and not want overtime or rest days.

There is quite a bit that goes into questions when interviewing so when they ask you when you intend to retire, or do you have a mortgage, have you got kids - all these questions are relevant. Technically any age up to I would say 55 is certainly a good shout though.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hi all,

I However I have found out from speaking to a member of NR staff that they don't take anyone over 40 because of amount of training/money invested they want to see a good return??

Obviously some NR staff don't have a clue when it comes to driver recruitment

marko31161

Northern are actually quite good at recruiting from a diverse section of society and this includes older members.
Then again the logic stacks up if they recruited from a certain age group sooner or later you'd have everybody retiring within a few years of one another and all the headaches that would bring.
This way the process is staggered.

Bafferty

Cheers guys, fingers crossed I hear from them soon. Been a week since applications closed and did say can take 3-6 before hear anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.