• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Airport Advance- Manchester Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBY-Paul

I've got to pick someone up from the Airport. If I go by train, and buy airport advance tickets and the flight arrives late would my ticket still have the 3 hour window, even though I haven't got off a flight. I assume the person getting off the flight would be covered, but I'm not sure If I would be.

I'm looking at Thornaby to Manchester Airport
2 Adults with 1 Disabled Rail Card

Manchester Airport to Thornaby
3 Adults with 1 Disabled Rail Card

Not sure of flight arrival time yet, but I do know it's May 6th (Bank Holiday). If the flight arrives during the day, we would prefer to go by train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trickyvegas

As far as I'm aware, the only acceptable delay in regards to Advance ticket rules is one caused by a connecting rail service - I'm not sure what the three hour window you refer to would be.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
As far as I'm aware, the only acceptable delay in regards to Advance ticket rules is one caused by a connecting rail service - I'm not sure what the three hour window you refer to would be.

Airport Advances allow the passenger to travel on a train up to 3 hours later than the reserved one if their flight is delayed and the ticket has been endorsed.

I've got to pick someone up from the Airport. If I go by train, and buy airport advance tickets and the flight arrives late would my ticket still have the 3 hour window, even though I haven't got off a flight. I assume the person getting off the flight would be covered, but I'm not sure If I would be.

I don't see anything in the terms of that ticket that include your situation, so I would hazard a guess at "no" to your question since you were not delayed by the flight.

CC 72100

Established Member

I believe the 'Airport Advance' is a TPE-only product, which also allows you to take a later a train should you miss your intended one due to a delayed flight when using an advance ticket.

From http://www.tpexpress.co.uk/campaigns/manchester-airport/

Easements
Tickets are train specific; however to accommodate inbound flight delays, journeys from John Lennon & Manchester Airports can be made on the next available TransPennine Express service up to 3 hours after the departure time stated on the ticket. Where no services depart within this time, the next TPE service may be used. Passengers wishing to use this concession must have their tickets endorsed at the Ticket Office before boarding the train. This is the only difference to other Advance tickets.

tony_mac

Established Member
It does say 'to accommodate inbound flight delays' which is rather vague - I think waiting for someone coming off a delayed flight would be a reasonable enough thing to include.

Particularly if one of the passengers is disabled, I think it would be quite unreasonable (and possibly not lawful) to not allow their companion to travel on the same train!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I think that if you asked the ticket office to endorse the ticket and were able to show that one of you came off of a delayed flight and the others had come to meet them, then they would do so, but to be sure the best advice is to contact TPE directly and get their take on the rules they set.

snail

Established Member
All that usually happens is that the ticket office at MIA check the arrival screens to verify the flight is late then endorse the ticket. Getting something off the airline or airport staff would just add to the delay. They may ask to see a boarding pass, but if one of the party has this it would be mean to prevent all the people travelling.

In the early days of this ticket I just asked the conductor if it's ok to use their train, never had a problem.

dfurn

Anyone know generally what amount of time you are expected to leave between plane landing time and the time of the departure of an Airport Advance-booked train from Manchester Airport. Previously I've been able to get on the train within 20 minutes of a scheduled landing time, but I suspect 30 minutes is a realistic time? Obviously if I was to miss a train due to delayed flight arrival and the ticket office would not endorse my ticket as I'd not left enough time, that'd be annoying. However I can't find any mention of what the 'connection' time would be on Transpennine Express's website. Maybe it's the sort of thing that common sense applies and hence they specifically don't state a time.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Anyone know generally what amount of time you are expected to leave between plane landing time and the time of the departure of an Airport Advance-booked train from Manchester Airport. Previously I've been able to get on the train within 20 minutes of a scheduled landing time, but I suspect 30 minutes is a realistic time?

Are you assuming travelling with or without checked baggage? GBS who handle most of the baggage at Manchester Airport have a target turnaround time of something like 40 minutes between the flight landing and all luggage being returned to passengers, however, normally it's achieved within 20 minutes.

Also what terminal? T2 is a much longer walk from the station than T1 or T3.

dfurn

Are you assuming travelling with or without checked baggage? GBS who handle most of the baggage at Manchester Airport have a target turnaround time of something like 40 minutes between the flight landing and all luggage being returned to passengers, however, normally it's achieved within 20 minutes.

Also what terminal? T2 is a much longer walk from the station than T1 or T3.

Good questions which I should have thought to mention. It'll be from T1 with no checked baggage. Flying in from Dublin on UK passport if that makes a difference.

John @ home

Established Member
Anyone know generally what amount of time you are expected to leave between plane landing time and the time of the departure of an Airport Advance-booked train from Manchester Airport.
The special conditions for Airport Advance tickets are:
As a special concession customers with an Airport Advance ticket, with an origin of Manchester Airport OR Lpool Airport Bus, if their flight is delayed, will be allowed to travel on the next FTPE service to their destination. This concession is available for up to 3hrs after the departure time of their original service. Or if the next service to their destination is timed to depart more than 3hrs after the original departure time they may use this service.

Customers wishing to take advantage of this concession must have their tickets endorsed at the station ticket office.

Customers who take advantage of this concession will not have a reserved seat on the service.

Customers may NOT travel on an earlier departure than the time stated on their ticket and any customer doing so should be treated as travelling without a valid ticket.

http://brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=MIA&dest=NCL&rlc= &rte=485&ldn=0&tkt=AK2
This requires the flight to be "delayed". It would therefore seem to me unlikely that the station ticket office would endorse a ticket where the flight has landed on time or early, and the train was missed.

If I were travelling on this ticket type, I would ask the train company how long they recommend leaving between flight arrival and train departure times when travelling with cabin luggage only.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Good questions which I should have thought to mention. It'll be from T1 with no checked baggage. Flying in from Dublin on UK passport if that makes a difference.

No passport control if coming in from Ireland so you should be able to walk right out. 30 minutes would do you.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
No passport control if coming in from Ireland so you should be able to walk right out. 30 minutes would do you.

They can ask you to show a passport or alternative ID (only if you're a British or Irish national) after alighting a flight from Ireland but that didn't happen when I arrived at Manchester from Cork.

I have had a person on my train to Manchester Airport who was going there to see someone off.

He had an Airport Advance to arrive at 11:00 and return at 11:30.

He asked me on the way to the airport if he could catch a later train. I explained the rules to him.

Later that day, 13:00 to be precise he was on my train with his 11:00 Airport Advance from Manchester Airport that had been endorsed by the booking office to say his flight was late !

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Interestingly, this page regarding Print@Home states:
Tickets are train specific; however to accommodate inbound flight delays, journeys from John Lennon & Manchester Airport can be made on the next available TransPennine Express service up to 3 hours after the departure time stated on the ticket. Where no services depart within this time, the next TPE service may be used. Passengers wishing to use this concession must have their tickets endorsed at Manchester Airport Train Ticket Office before boarding the train. You will not have a reserved seat on the new train you will then be travelling on.

It makes no mention of having to have taken the delayed flight. Would going to meet someone at the airport, and them being delayed by an incoming flight, qualify the meeter to take a later service?

island

Veteran Member
They can ask you to show a passport or alternative ID (only if you're a British or Irish national) after alighting a flight from Ireland but that didn't happen when I arrived at Manchester from Cork.

They can, but it's as rare as an FCC guard!

dfurn

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll report back on how I got on. However, if all transport services are running on time, think I'll be ok with my connection time.

kieron

Established Member
Interesting that John Lennon passengers need to somehow head to Manchester Airport booking office to have their tickets endorsed before heading back to use their Advance from the correct origin...
I'm sure they'll be fine just jumping on the next train to stop in Speke. I'm more concerned by the fact that it says it's only available on trains to Manchester Airport, rather than ones going from there. Obviously the phrase "Terms and Conditions" means different things to different people.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Interesting that John Lennon passengers need to somehow head to Manchester Airport booking office to have their tickets endorsed before heading back to use their Advance from the correct origin...

Just selected The T&Cs for an Airport Advance for a Liverpool Airport Bus to Huddersfield Airport Advance ticket I selected in the Mixing Deck and this comes up constantly referring to Manchester Airport: https://tickets.tpexpress.co.uk/tpe/en/tickettandc/A/AH2.aspx

TBY-Paul

Interestingly, this page regarding Print@Home states:

It makes no mention of having to have taken the delayed flight. Would going to meet someone at the airport, and them being delayed by an incoming flight, qualify the meeter to take a later service?

I took the advice of hairyhandedfool and rang TPE. I was informed that if the flight was delayed, we as the "meeters" would have to change our tickets to the later train. This would involve paying the difference in fares + £10 admin fee per ticket.

From memory, I think it would have meant changing £33 (2 adv +dsb card)tickets to £70+ (Anytime x 2 +DSB Card) tickets + £20 admin (2x£10) = £57.
Obviously the family member getting off the flight would not have had to pay any extra.

With the potential of spending £100+ on tickets and then having to find another £57 if the flight was delayed, we chose to go in the car.

34D

Established Member
I wonder if we can press this further with TPE?

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I wonder if we can press this further with TPE?

It appears only the lead passenger needs to present identification to use an e-ticket so if the lead passenger was on the delayed flight can they then get tickets endorsed for later travel for all passengers on that booking even if they weren't on the same flight?

dfurn

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll report back on how I got on. However, if all transport services are running on time, think I'll be ok with my connection time.

Just to report having landed at about 1101h and being bussed over the runway to Terminal 1 as our plane was too small to attach to the walkways, there was still easy enough time to catch the 1135h train from Manchester Airport. As has been pointed out there is no passport control from Dublin, although we did trudge through Customs. With hand luggage that was not an issue.

At the airport station a sign lists Terminal 1 as being a 5 minute walk from the station; so even though I'm sure that sign wasn't put there by Transpennine Express, you could argue it was an advertised connection time!

Last edited:

Chapeltom

Established Member
I've walked from the bus station to Terminal 1 in around 5 minutes the couple of times I've used public transport to get to the airport so its fairly accurate.

noddingdonkey

MIA ticket office endorsed my Airport Advance without even asking which flight I'd been delayed on yesterday. (A 20 minute late arrival plus a farce in baggage reclaim meant I missed by booked train by 5 minutes)

johnnychips

Established Member
Just for info, T3 is the furthest from the station as it involves a walk and a lift, followed by T2 and T1.

Holly

... This requires the flight to be "delayed". It would therefore seem to me unlikely that the station ticket office would endorse a ticket where the flight has landed on time or early, and the train was missed.
That's pretty rough if you are held up by the airline losing your luggage rather than by the aircraft arriving late.
If I were travelling on this ticket type, I would ask the train company how long they recommend leaving between flight arrival and train departure times when travelling with cabin luggage only.
I shalln't bother, I'm flying in from Atlanta next next and will just pay the walk-up fare. Too much hassle and I'm only going to Huddersfield. Overly complex ticketing is reason to avoid the railway whenever possible. Make an honest mistake and be accused of being a criminal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.