• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aldershot Magistrates Court -Hampshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

hantsman1205

Happen to be in there today for another matter in the afternoon session, but I looked at the court list for the morning session, 52 Defendant's/cases - South West Trains, can only assume it was fare evasion/no ticket ect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I assume that is just one of the courts that SWT use?

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Another day, another Court. Another bunch of Prosecutions against passengers travelling without a valid ticket.

It's much the same across most of England, although some Operators are much more vigourous than others (in just the same way as some of those Operators face much more fares abuse than others).

cuccir

Established Member
Interesting - so do rail-related offences account for a significant percentage of magistrates court's time? 5%? 10%? More? Or am I misjudging how many courts there are and cases per day?

Flamingo

Established Member
I suppose it shows how endemic fare evasion is, and what TOC's are up against trying to get a large proportion of passengers to pay their way...

thebigcheese

Can't be much fun being a Magistrate... a morning of train tickets then an afternoon of drink drivers

anme

Established Member
I suppose it shows how endemic fare evasion is, and what TOC's are up against trying to get a large proportion of passengers to pay their way...

We can't tell that without knowing how many cases are heard in other courts, and how many people are prosecuted for fare evasion in Aldershot on other days.

In principle, this could be a year's worth of cases (or whatever the maximum time is that a prosecution must be brought). I'm not saying that is the case, but this statistic doesn't tell us much in isolation.

We also don't know how many people will be found guilty.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
We can't tell that without knowing how many cases are heard in other courts, . . . .
The vast majority of cases are heard in a batch, in the same session. Typically, there may be another similar batch in the same Court in 2 or 4 week's time.

We also don't know how many people will be found guilty.
The majority do not attend and Judgement is given in favour of the Claimant (the Railway Company).

Status
Not open for further replies.