• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All services in and out of London Euston suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

RailwayDan

Hey everyone,

I'm currently at London Euston and all services have been suspended in and out because of a power failure in the Watford Junction area, this is in addition to the earlier fatality in the Nuneaton/Rugby area.

Be warned, the Live Departure Board is currently showing everything as On time departing London Euston! This is not the case, all services are suspended.

If anyone needs any information about specific trains, let me know and I can check the board for you. The online board doesn't want to admit it!

Dan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DS

Sat just outside Crewe on the 1555 Manchester - Euston. Network Rail not allowing anything London-bound into the station.. could be a long wait.

Edit: Awaiting a signal into Crewe. Not sure how long it'll be until this leaves the station though.

RailwayDan

National Rail has it posted in the service disruptions area of the website. Where does LDB take its feed from? The staff version is showing the delays and I assumed the public one was fed from that.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/today.html

I've noticed it a few times being completely different from the public version, but thought it would be best to post to help people make decisions on different routings etc. Just spoken to a Virgin driver who is awaiting his set from Manchester and he said that it could be a long wait for those wanting to travel - then declared he was having a cup of tea (I don't blame him!)

Oh and by the way, if any forum readers are sat in the concourse, get up to the 1st class lounge, Virgin are accepted any ticket holders, however it is very very busy, standing room only.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sat just outside Crewe on the 1555 Manchester - Euston. Network Rail not allowing anything London-bound into the station.. could be a long wait.

Edit: Awaiting a signal into Crewe. Not sure how long it'll be until this leaves the station though.

There is also a fatality in the Nuneaton/Rugby area to get through yet DBS so unfortunately it could be a while.

My girlfriend is enroute from Manchester, and her train was diverted via Coventry because of this, but is now stuck near Milton Keynes awaiting power!

DS

There is also a fatality in the Nuneaton/Rugby area to get through yet DBS so unfortunately it could be a while.

My girlfriend is enroute from Manchester, and her train was diverted via Coventry because of this, but is now stuck near Milton Keynes awaiting power!

Yep - meant to get the 1615 to MK, then connect to Northampton... but that was already canx so just got the first Virgin going :|

MCR247

Established Member
Jeez, the WCML has pretty bad luck doesn't it!

RailwayDan

Jeez, the WCML has pretty bad luck doesn't it!

Yes!

The last time my girlfriend came down there was a signalling failure, so her train got cancelled and she had to get the next one only to be struck by 'the wrong kind of heat' and several temporary speed restrictions and was 3 hours late into Euston.

Needless to say she ain't happy! Next time i'll get her to come on the Midland Mainline from Sheffield with me :)
Power is now back on, and first service to leave is the 1650 LM service to Crewe

bengolding

I'm hoping it's fixed by the morning as I've got a flight to catch from BHX. Luckily my last few trips have been when the WCML has been running great.

It's incredible how often the OHLE/signalling problems always seems to happen somewhere between Watford and Milton Keynes.

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
The lower end of the WCML does seem to be troubled with OHLE outages & signal faults.

What is the main cause of these problems?

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
It does have a rather bad reputation...no wonder ive started planning contingencies when it comes to that line (usually involving a HST or 168!!!)

dk1

Veteran Member
All appears tickety-boo this morning with several Virgin services arriving early.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Oh and by the way, if any forum readers are sat in the concourse, get up to the 1st class lounge, Virgin are accepted any ticket holders, however it is very very busy, standing room only.

I hope they gave first class passengers priority with the seats!

Wolfie

Established Member
I hope they gave first class passengers priority with the seats!

....they didn't even do that on the trains! There were some VERY seriously peed off First class ticket holders stood all the way last night from Birmingham New Street to Euston on the delayed 1930 (left 20 mins late after the 1830, 1850 and 1910 were all cancelled). The Guard declassified First class (sensibly) BUT did so before First class ticket holders had got a chance to nab a seat - they were no challenge to the hoards sweeping in from Standard!

Whistler40145

Established Member
I would have thought NR would have improved the power supply to the OHLE so that problems would be reduced.

Does NR require to install an extra Feed from the National Grid part way between Euston & Watford Junction?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I thought all signalling would have been replaced as part of WCML upgrades?

They pushed Watford and Bletchley station area resignalling (and Stockport for that matter) out of WCRM because they were deemed "not essential for the VHF timetable".

Now biting them on the bum.
Due for completion in the next couple of years (more disruption...)
Also means that until then Rugby SCC will have two "black holes" in its coverage.
West Coast service has fallen apart again tonight, this time signalling problems at Stafford (another area they didn't renew under WCRM).

Established Member
Due for completion in the next couple of years (more disruption...)
Also means that until then Rugby SCC will have two "black holes" in its coverage.
Three black holes......Rugby PSB is still with us as well, also Wembley Mainline was supposed have gone into Saltley; in fact control of the whole shebang was originally intended to go there a long time ago :roll:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
West Coast service has fallen apart again tonight, this time signalling problems at Stafford (another area they didn't renew under WCRM).

Indeed, I was caught up in it. there were no Birmingham-Liverpool / Scotland (via Preston) services from about 1630 until when I left at about 1800 tonight. There was a total power cut at Norton Bridge IIRC.
There was no money left to do these locations.

AFAIK Bletchley is being merged with Rugby at some point in the none-too-distant future.

Established Member
AFAIK Bletchley is being merged with Rugby at some point in the none-too-distant future.
ISTR that Bletchley is due to be taken over by Rugby SCC in December 2012. Watford was supposed to go under Wembley Main Line sometime the following year, but I am not sure if that is still the intention in light of the recent announcements.

Status
Not open for further replies.