• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

All The Stations - project to video every British Railway Station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
From the BBC this morning,

Shippea Hill station: Least visited site joins challenge

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-40124036

More than 20 people travelled to the UK's least visited railway station to meet a couple attempting a train challenge with a difference.

Geoff Marshall and Vicki Pipe asked people to join them at Shippea Hill, Cambridgeshire as they try to visit 2,563 stations in three months.

Shippea Hill is a request stop with just two trains a day and was used just 12 times in the last financial year.

Geoff has previously set records for visiting all London's tube stations.

Geoff and Vicki decided to embark on the trip across the country to "capture the true status of Britain's railways today".

They are hoping to donate their video and photo footage to the National Railway Museum and London Transport Museum.

The journey has been made possible by donations from the public. They raised about £38,500 through an online fundraising page.

"We have a lot of love for public transport and this is just a bigger version of it [visiting all the tube stations]," said Geoff.

"The idea just grew and grew and now we are actually doing it."

He said they were stopping at every station but not always getting off.

If they got off the train at each station it would probably tell them more than 10 months, they added.

The couple were due to explore the Norfolk and Suffolk train lines on Sunday before heading back to London. So far they have visited about 850 stations.

The couple have been documenting their challenge on their Twitter and Facebook pages.

Shippea Hill received a boost in December when former Great British Bake Off finalist Ian Cumming offered mince pies to anyone who disembarked there and attracted 16 people to the station.

Who would have thought you could crowd fund your hobby :o

Last edited:

Ginaro

It works out at £24.71 per backer on kickstarter (and no doubt more has been donated after the deadline) - suppose it's decent value for hundreds of hours of YouTube video covering the railway if you're an enthusiast.

Just hoping their four videos a week ensures they cover all the good bits of Scotland!

me123

Established Member
Just hoping their four videos a week ensures they cover all the good bits of Scotland!

They should have well over a week in Scotland, so plenty of time to get footage. At least a good hour and a half of footage. At the very least.

w0033944

We've already had nearly ten pages of this. I really don't understand why so many RailUK forum posters are moaning; you're not being forced to follow what they're doing, you weren't forced to contribute. There are plenty of TV programmes I hate, but I don't inflict that opinion on all and sundry, especially if it's unsolicited; I just avoid those programmes.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
We've already had nearly ten pages of this. I really don't understand why so many RailUK forum posters are moaning; you're not being forced to follow what they're doing, you weren't forced to contribute. There are plenty of TV programmes I hate, but I don't inflict that opinion on all and sundry, especially if it's unsolicited; I just avoid those programmes.

Calm down dear.

Take your pills.

See your therapist more.

All I expressed was surprise. Where did I say that I was forced to follow them? (I don't). Where does it say that I was forced to contribute? (I haven't). Where does it say I hate the programme? (I have no view on it).

Clearly you do, and are here, inflicting you opinion on other people. And what is the point of a forum if people can't express an opinion? That's what a conversation consists of. Perhaps you should avoid this forum also?

w0033944

Calm down dear.

Take your pills.

See your therapist more.

All I expressed was surprise. Where did I say that I was forced to follow them? (I don't). Where does it say that I was forced to contribute? (I haven't). Where does it say I hate the programme? (I have no view on it).

Clearly you do, and are here, inflicting you opinion on other people. And what is the point of a forum if people can't express an opinion? That's what a conversation consists of. Perhaps you should avoid this forum also?

As someone who's battling health anxiety and depression, your 'pills' and 'therapist' snipes were rather near the knuckle, but that's not the point. What I meant is that umpteen other posters have already typed, almost word-for-word the same comment. Just as the conversation had moved on from moaning, sniping and some members seeking some kind on enlightenment as to the purpose of what these people are doing, so it was perhaps inevitable that someone would arrive and make the same comment. I do owe you an apology, actually, as your comment in isolation wasn't anything to be annoyed by; it's just that after page after page of the same stuff, and with the thread finally evolving into a discussion of the places the couple are visiting, your comment was the proverbial last straw.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Fascinating "extra" video today on Vicky's family links to, of all places, Shippea Hill

westcoaster

Established Member
I never knew you can board and alight a GWR service in Northamptonshire. And I've lived in Northamptonshire for over a decade.

Z12XE

I've watched a few of these videos and I think they are very good.
It's better than a TV channel would show as it isn't intentionally dumbed down whilst it isn't overly geeky or frothing at numbers.

The two taking part are likeable and competent infront of the camera and the extra info provided makes it that bit more than just trains. Well done to them look forward to many more videos like this.

nlogax

Established Member
I was one of the early backers of this project (in a small 'sponsored a couple of stations' way), and I've found it fascinating and compelling as Geoff and Vicki have continued to tick off their list of stations. Their enthusiasm for both the project and the railway shines through on every update.

Visiting all UK stations has been done before but it's not been done like this, and I'm thoroughly enjoying their videos. Very much looking forward to their travels north of the border and especially into the Highlands.

Last edited:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I think their follow up project should be 'All the Disused/Closed Stations' - visiting those would take some time, effort and research though how easy it would be would depend on whether you can visit by car or use public transport/on foot/hiking to reach them.

DuncanS

Very much looking forward to their travels north of the border and especially into the Highlands.

I'm looking forward to the amount of times they go to Inverness :D With four lines terminating/starting there I'm very interested in how they manage those lines - especially as they have already said they aim to finish in Wick.

Having only not done the Kyle line up there - I'm thinking, up to Fort William, out to Mallaig then ferry to Skye, bus to Kyle of Lochalsh and then to Inverness (1). I'd then bus to Wick - its what I did when going there - and then train back to Inverness (2).

Which is fine - but then the Aberdeen (3) and Perth (4) lines become the problem as you either have to double back somewhere or then complete a circle of the north east of Scotland by completing the loop via Dundee.

Its the one part of the journey I'm really looking forward to, seeing how they deal with Inverness.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm really sceptical that they can visit all stations in 3 months - given they have already for example spent a whole day going to Manchester and back and only ticking off handfull of stations in doing so. However best of luck to them.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I'm really sceptical that they can visit all stations in 3 months - given they have already for example spent a whole day going to Manchester and back and only ticking off handfull of stations in doing so. However best of luck to them.

They also have to hope there isn't an over run on the Wirral Line loop works

marks87

Established Member
I'm looking forward to the amount of times they go to Inverness :D With four lines terminating/starting there I'm very interested in how they manage those lines - especially as they have already said they aim to finish in Wick.

Having only not done the Kyle line up there - I'm thinking, up to Fort William, out to Mallaig then ferry to Skye, bus to Kyle of Lochalsh and then to Inverness (1). I'd then bus to Wick - its what I did when going there - and then train back to Inverness (2).

Which is fine - but then the Aberdeen (3) and Perth (4) lines become the problem as you either have to double back somewhere or then complete a circle of the north east of Scotland by completing the loop via Dundee.

Its the one part of the journey I'm really looking forward to, seeing how they deal with Inverness.

They only need to visit Inverness twice, even if they don't take the ferry from Malaig to Kyle.

e.g.

Perth-Inverness-Aberdeen-Perth-Inverness-Kyle-Dingwall-Georgemas-Thurso-Georgemas-Wick

DuncanS

Ah, that would take the fun out of it!

Hadn't considered doing Inverness as just a short stop in the North East circle via Dundee.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The problem they might have come against is the odd calling pattern on the Highland Main Line, only 2 trains a day (in each direction) calls at all the stations along the route.

Similarly on the Perth - Aberdeen line you have the likes of Balmossie & Golf Street served by only one train a day in each direction, add on the likes of Laurencekirk & Portlethen

marks87

Established Member
The problem they might have come against is the odd calling pattern on the Highland Main Line, only 2 trains a day (in each direction) calls at all the stations along the route.

Similarly on the Perth - Aberdeen line you have the likes of Balmossie & Golf Street served by only one train a day in each direction, add on the likes of Laurencekirk & Portlethen

But in both cases they only need to catch one train - their rules are that the service has to stop, but they don't have to get off.

It would take a while if they did need to get off and catch the next service!

me123

Established Member

One of the trains that calls at all stops on the HML is the first up in the morning from Queen Street - namely the 07:10 departure. That connects nicely to an all-stopper to Aberdeen. The next train down to Glasgow again bags the slightly awkward Portlethen, although they'd then have to change at Stonehaven to get a train that calls at Laurencekirk. They could then maybe bag some of North Fife (or just explore Dundee for some footage), as long as they're in place for the daily Dundee local train that also stops at the slightly awkward Invergowrie if they make their way down to Perth first. (Perth does have a Cathedral for Vicki!).

I'm sure that train will be featured prominently - they do love to showcase the least used parts of the network! All in all, it works out pretty nicely for them to do a grand tour of Scotland by train, albeit not a great deal of time to explore any locations. Inverness - they'd have time later on their way back. But they'd be through Aberdeen in just 30 minutes - I'd say that's 30 minutes too much, but there are opportunities for filming there.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Vicki and Geoff are off to Polesworth tomorrow.

And I would wager 20 pennies on a trip to Bordesley for Saturday for the weekly* train. Bit of a shame unlike Polesworth which is early morning, Bordesley is at 13:36 (and from what it sounds like they have been busy in the West Midlands today)

(*Additional services call when Birmingham are at home)

bramling

Veteran Member
I think their follow up project should be 'All the Disused/Closed Stations' - visiting those would take some time, effort and research though how easy it would be would depend on whether you can visit by car or use public transport/on foot/hiking to reach them.

That would take more than a summer. It's taken me 12 years to nearly finish England, and Nick Catford of SubBrit has made it almost a lifetime's work. Takes longer when one is fitting it round work though!

Ginaro

One of the trains that calls at all stops on the HML is the first up in the morning from Queen Street - namely the 07:10 departure. That connects nicely to an all-stopper to Aberdeen. The next train down to Glasgow again bags the slightly awkward Portlethen, although they'd then have to change at Stonehaven to get a train that calls at Laurencekirk. They could then maybe bag some of North Fife (or just explore Dundee for some footage), as long as they're in place for the daily Dundee local train that also stops at the slightly awkward Invergowrie if they make their way down to Perth first. (Perth does have a Cathedral for Vicki!).

Springfield (least used in Fife) will be one they need to plan around as well, with only a morning and evening train each way.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Springfield (least used in Fife) will be one they need to plan around as well, with only a morning and evening train each way.

3 northbound services, 2 southbound services (with both evening services calling at the same time)

IIRC the evening northbound service connects with the Tayside stopper at Dundee.

marks87

Established Member

Springfield has a total of 5tpd.

One each way in the morning, one each way in the evening and one late all-stops Edinburgh-Dundee.

me123

Established Member

That used to be served by the Edinburgh - Carnoustie local IIRC (i.e. the one that calls at Golf Street and Barry Links and so on). So more difficult for them now that the local calls have transferred to the Queen Street service.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
they were down the Marston Vale line the other day. The got a better service than us mere paying passengers. Served Tea and cake and the train both ran and ran on time. An unrealistic presentation of the line! ;)

Last edited:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
they were down the Marston Vale line the other day. The got a better service than us mere paying passengers. Served Tea and cake and the train both ran and ran on time. An unrealistic presentation of the line! ;)

..are you insinuating that they dodged the fare ?

trash80

Established Member
That would take more than a summer. It's taken me 12 years to nearly finish England, and Nick Catford of SubBrit has made it almost a lifetime's work. Takes longer when one is fitting it round work though!

Yes i'm currently working through all the stations (open, preserved, closed), at current rate of progress it should take me about 30 years...:p

Status
Not open for further replies.