• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Amsterdam Eurostar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadget88

A new tweet today seems to question how accurate the news about the delay was.

Attachments

• 322DA625-1E73-4C29-8A63-E83409D31D38.png
    322DA625-1E73-4C29-8A63-E83409D31D38.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Doesn't look like it did, there's no time shown past Midi.
I don't think you get updated times the other side of the channel even regardless of whether it's running, as I found out when my sister came back from Avignon.
That 0734 outward StP to Amsterdam working today had real time timings filled in on the UK side:
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/J17493/2017/12/04/advanced

There was also an 0803 to Brussels following it, also with times filled in.
Neither have times at Brussels either.

Edited as I was getting mixed up with outward and inward journeys

Gadget88

Picture from twitter

Getting exciting now with display board saying Amsterdam.

Attachments

• C42F3504-5E3C-4C34-88D4-33D1FD369D06.png
    C42F3504-5E3C-4C34-88D4-33D1FD369D06.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 101

Gadget88

I’m sure I read it will be there all week testing. Wonder who will get to go on these test runs maybe Euro star staff?

AlexNL

Established Member
This is the timetable for the entire week, thanks to Lisa Neves Gonçalves, communications manager at NS:

y3hudUG.jpg

Apv7KuH.jpg

WGM = Watergraafsmeer T.R.S.M.D.

Gadget88

So does the train just skip on through Antwerp?

I read a while back Eurostar want a stop there so despite it no happening at the moment maybe in the future?

Also what’s the stop after Amsterdam? Does it go there to turn back?

AlexNL

Established Member
Antwerp is indeed not served by Eurostar. Watergraafsmeer is a maintenance depot.

Gadget88

Another picture this time showing Amsterdam on the outside screen.

Attachments

• A3FD9F41-71E0-4C12-836C-87D5B60DE065.jpeg
    A3FD9F41-71E0-4C12-836C-87D5B60DE065.jpeg
    541.2 KB · Views: 66

Gadget88

Another pic

Attachments

• 455CBC5D-E792-4075-BAFA-E0EC19B15377.jpeg
    455CBC5D-E792-4075-BAFA-E0EC19B15377.jpeg
    404.8 KB · Views: 71

withnail2003

Well that was interesting. I took myself over to Amsterdam Centraal to get a couple of pictures, only to discover a security operation in place with all gates to platforms locked and accessible to passengers only. In 20 years I don't recall ever seeing that before. Anyhow, I can confirm that Eurostar arrived at spot on 13.55, stopped briefly and departed for Watergraafsmeer at 14.00. Unfortunately I was forced to watch from the Ij side of the station. I shall find a different vantage point and get my pics another day!

Gadget88

Well that was interesting. I took myself over to Amsterdam Centraal to get a couple of pictures, only to discover a security operation in place with all gates to platforms locked and accessible to passengers only. In 20 years I don't recall ever seeing that before. Anyhow, I can confirm that Eurostar arrived at spot on 13.55, stopped briefly and departed for Watergraafsmeer at 14.00. Unfortunately I was forced to watch from the Ij side of the station. I shall find a different vantage point and get my pics another day!

Found this one on Twitter today.

I’m planning a day visit to Amsterdam next month as I can’t wait for the direct services. May see the Euro stars next month at the station. I hope once Amsterdam is up and running we will hear them consider going to Germany next to rival the airlines.

Attachments

• 86107AB5-760D-4EF9-B87A-AB3D9B179663.jpeg
    86107AB5-760D-4EF9-B87A-AB3D9B179663.jpeg
    597.2 KB · Views: 49

Gadget88

Found this article

https://www.ad.nl/rotterdam/eurostar-zoeft-voor-eerste-keer-van-londen-langs-rotterdam~a84d0445/

That is why the brand-new train probably did not stop at Rotterdam, but drove straight to Amsterdam. To the sorrow of trainspotter Peter de Waard: ,, I would have liked to have looked a bit closer. '' Through a whatsapp group with other train lovers he had already heard that there was a delay. ,, Who was watching along the track at Dordrecht. When I saw the signal turn green, I realized that the train would not stop. "

Next spring the Eurostar will always stop at Rotterdam Central, so that passengers can actually travel from Rotterdam to London without a transfer. The date of the first train and the price are not yet known. The blue-yellow-gray train will travel up and down to England twice a day. The cheapest fare for a single journey with transfer in Brussels now costs € 56.

Secret
For the first real trip to London, there are test drives with the factory-new Eurostar. Yesterday was the very first ride ever, kept secret from the media. "The test went very well. On the minute we arrived at Amsterdam Central, "says Ton Boon, spokesperson for NS.

If the blue-gray-yellow Eurostar is really going to drive, the traveler from Rotterdam can be at St. Pancras Station in the center of London in three hours and a quarter of an hour. The maximum speed is 300 kilometers per hour. Boon: ,, We are very curious if we can convince travelers from the plane in the train. We see the Eurostar as a competitor of the plane. "" For the control of travelers, a special terminal will be set up at Rotterdam Central, in the office above the Hema. LINK

To get in
We are very curious if we can get travelers from the plane into the train
Ton Boon, spokesperson for NS
The train has not yet been officially admitted to the Dutch rail network. This means that during the test drives nobody can get in, to prevent them from accidentally driving a bit. The new Eurostar is 400 meters long, with space for 900 passengers.

According to the timetable, the Eurostar should stop in Rotterdam this afternoon on the way back to London at 5.25 pm, where it stops for 5 minutes. These times do not say anything about the final timetable. The final test drive is scheduled on Sunday.

All passengers, in the first as well as in the second class, can watch films and series in the future during the trip to England via an app. ,, You can also see where the train is exactly and how fast it drives. '' Furthermore, there is Wi-Fi and every seat has a power socket, so that business travelers can work quietly. ,, The train has extra comfort with ample legroom, wide corridors, many toilets and a bistro on board. ''

The staff is now extra careful to keep the train tidy. From Brussels these are specially trained train drivers and train managers of the NS, who make the journey to the Netherlands. The train manager who drove the piece from England this morning, made a picture of his overshoes that he had to protect the train that is just coming out of the factory.

Gadget88

Another article this time about Rotterdam

A platform must also be adapted for the high-speed train to London. The new terminal, including a luxurious waiting area for train passengers, will be located above the Hema in the now empty station office. Initially it was the intention that a slender-shaped building would be erected on platform 4 for border controls, but Eurostar has moved away from that idea.

Platform 1 has to be widened to England due to the 400-meter train, which means that track 1 will be dropped in the station. The new Eurostarperron will be located on track 2, which is still a continuous track without a platform of its own.

Half an hour before the departure of the international train, the entire Eurostarperron is screened, dropped off and closed for other train traffic at the request of the British authorities. The Eurostar starts Rotterdam in both directions twice a day, but in the future that frequency can be increased. In between, other trains may stop at Platform 2.

Travelers have the option to go through the security until 12.5 minutes before departure, where tickets, baggage and passport are checked. This also happens at the two other Eurostar stations Amsterdam and Brussels.

Travel schedule
When passengers at Rotterdam Central can catch the train to London, it is not yet known. ,, We want to ride in the spring in the morning and in the evening '', says Evelyne van Cleven of Eurostar.

A price has not been determined either. Now the train ticket prices start from London to Rotterdam - the Eurostar runs to Brussels, after which it has to switch to Thalys - at 59 euros.

Anyone entering the Eurostarperron at Rotterdam Central arrives three hours and a quarter of an hour later at London's St. Pancras station, which is next to Kings Cross. ,, The journey back is a quarter of an hour shorter because there is no need for security screening in Brussels '', says Ton Boon of NS International, which trains Dutch personnel for the trains.

Eurostar wants to compete with price fighters in the air. The train states that it is much more environmentally friendly and more comfortable. The trains have an Italian design interior and a restaurant and offer free Wi-Fi and 300 hours of films and series that can be streamed to tablet, smartphone or laptop.

https://www.ad.nl/rotterdam/rotterdam-maakt-zich-op-voor-snelle-designtrein-naar-londen~a1fcdb11/

Gadget88

I read the test run never went ahead yesterday. Any word if it will go ahead today?

itfcfan

Which platform will the Amsterdam-bound Eurostars stop at in Brussels-Midi? Currently Eurostars use platforms 1 & 2 but both of these platforms are terminal.

Platform 3 is the first through running platform. I was at Brussels-Midi yesterday and I noticed building work on island platform 3&4 which appeared to be to allow the platform to allow platform 3 or 4 to be isolated from each other and/or from other entries and exits. Does anyone know - is this work part of plans to add/increase security checks for Thalys/ICE trains through Brussels-Midi or is it related to Eurostar through trains, so they can start stopping on platform 3/4?

I've attached a photo I took of the building work on this platform...

Attachments

• IMG_20171206_141820.jpg
    IMG_20171206_141820.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 69

TheSeeker

Which platform will the Amsterdam-bound Eurostars stop at in Brussels-Midi? Currently Eurostars use platforms 1 & 2 but both of these platforms are terminal.

Platform 3 is the first through running platform. I was at Brussels-Midi yesterday and I noticed building work on island platform 3&4 which appeared to be to allow the platform to allow platform 3 or 4 to be isolated from each other and/or from other entries and exits. Does anyone know - is this work part of plans to add/increase security checks for Thalys/ICE trains through Brussels-Midi or is it related to Eurostar through trains, so they can start stopping on platform 3/4?

I've attached a photo I took of the building work on this platform...

That looks very permanent compared to the temporary fencing at Liege and Antwerp for the Thalys. I remember there was something mentioned about the Eurostar from Amsterdam using the west Brussels line (not sure of the official name) to loop into the terminus platforms from the south and enter Midi before changing ends to head to Lille. I could be wrong.

AlexNL

Established Member
In Brussels South, trains coming from Amsterdam will use platform 3 which will have been cleared by Securail before arrival of said train.

itfcfan

In Brussels South, trains coming from Amsterdam will use platform 3 which will have been cleared by Securail before arrival of said train.

Interesting...

Will that also apply for Eurostar services going *to* Amsterdam?

AlexNL

Established Member
I don't think so, there's no need for the security theatre when going in that direction.

GingerSte

From memory, platform 2 at Brussels Midi is single-sided, with a fence at the back. There is only one track between the back of platform 2 and platform 3. If that fence was removed, then the existing lifts, escalators, etc from the Eurostar departures area could be used to access a train at platform 3 (I think). It would just be a case of opening the doors on the "Eurostar" side.

I don't think that platform 3 can be accessed from the Eurostar departure area (ie after security, immigration etc), although I may be wrong. I know that modifications have been carried out in the departure area this year, so this may have been added (or may be added in the future).

Status
Not open for further replies.