• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Another steam breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

embers25

Established Member
I see it looks like Clanline is broken down at Winchfield now for nearly two hours currently. What happened this time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
I thought Tangmere was hauling this one? Or did it only haul in one direction?

I'd just been looking at the two workings (as a friend of mine saw the outbound at Southampton Central this morning) and it didn't initially strike me that the train has broken down at Winchfield. Looking at NRES, it appears that nothing can currently call there, Fleet or Hook...I guess that would be due to a lack of crossovers between the slows and fasts between the stations

tsr

Established Member
70000 Britannia is heading the other way with the Shrewsbury Cathedrals Express (1555 Shrewsbury - London Waterloo) and should now pass Winchfield at around 2205 - it's currently in the Andover area, 20 down. If that were to break down too...

And yes, Tangmere is the loco involved in the working which has failed.

Crossover

Established Member
70000 Britannia is heading the other way with the Shrewsbury Cathedrals Express (1555 Shrewsbury - London Waterloo) and should now pass Winchfield at around 2205 - it's currently in the Andover area, 20 down. If that were to break down too...

Don't tempt fate! We'll blame you if this happens :P

Thanks for confirming.

At least it has happened on a 4 track line, not 2!

embers25

Established Member
I thought Tangmere was hauling this one? Or did it only haul in one direction?

I'd just been looking at the two workings (as a friend of mine saw the outbound at Southampton Central this morning) and it didn't initially strike me that the train has broken down at Winchfield. Looking at NRES, it appears that nothing can currently call there, Fleet or Hook...I guess that would be due to a lack of crossovers between the slows and fasts between the stations

Sorry meant Tangmere.Nat Rail up to usual standards saying London bound trains not stopping and people should circulate on coast bound ones when actually its the coast bound ones not stopping! Train still there blocking line nearly 3 hours later. On the way in it was pathed early thru woking making late trains even later only to be held before surbiton.All in all not good.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
70000 Britannia isShrewsbury..he other way with the Shrewsbury Cathedrals Express (1555 Shrewsbury - London Waterloo) and should now pass Winchfield at around 2205 - it's currently in the Andover area, 20 down. If that were to break down too...

Britannia was over an hour late into shrewsbury.I thought it was diesel from at leaat Bristol to Waterloo poss all the way back following the late loss of Tornado?

tsr

Established Member
Britannia was over an hour late into shrewsbury.I thought it was diesel from at leaat Bristol to Waterloo poss all the way back following the late loss of Tornado?

I regret I only have details that a diesel loco may be involved, and it wasn't confirmed to me, so I'm not sure!

Crossover

Established Member
It has also terminated at Basingstone 200 mins late. Wonder what will happen with passengers needing to get back to Weymouth...

fsmr

Not all end up in the mire, The Tyeseley to Ely special yesterday with Earl of Mount Edgcumb ended up 14 mins early though Oakham much to the disappointment of those that turned up on time :roll:
and arrived 1 min early at Ely .
The return was just 1 min late back into Birmingham after being early at various stages due to signal checks on the final leg so it can be done

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54624/2013/11/23/advanced

Tomnick

Established Member
Not all end up in the mire, The Tyeseley to Ely special yesterday with Earl of Mount Edgcumb ended up 14 mins early though Oakham much to the disappointment of those that turned up on time :roll:
and arrived 1 min early at Ely .
The return was just 1 min late back into Birmingham after being early at various stages due to signal checks on the final leg so it can be done

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U54624/2013/11/23/advanced
Still no idea why it was booked to call at Oakham for nine minutes - I think it surprised a few of the bystanders when it passed through at a fair speed!

It has also terminated at Basingstone 200 mins late. Wonder what will happen with passengers needing to get back to Weymouth...

They were carried down on a SWT service.

A connecting rod became unattached but took the 3rd rail with it. Think 40 or so pots were damaged. The rod was removed and the train ran light steam to Basingstoke with help from the 47 on the back.

DeanGoods

I despair sometimes about the negative attitude of we Brits. True this loco failed and there’s no official reason yet but, it’s the 21st Century when nobody moves until a Risk Assessment has been performed. So when a train fails away from a Station, rather than comment sarcastically, or ask why it has taken so long to repair it, critics should ask themselves what would have done to make things safe and then get their paying public to the end of the journey with the minimum of fuss while trying to keep costs down; and then, ask how long it would take.
I do worry that some of the comments here are a bit harsh. I am a Railfan, not an anorak nor a trainspotter and I’m sad when anything goes so badly wrong that it threatens my future enjoyment and that of others.
We should commend the work done by the Support Crew and Network Rail to safely get the thing moved to a refuge inside four hours, working in the dark and on the road (not at the roadside!). A ‘Well done’ to them, I think.

Crawley Ben

I regret I only have details that a diesel loco may be involved, and it wasn't confirmed to me, so I'm not sure!

Wasn't Brittania late because of a failed freight train blocking the route somewhere or other....? Sure I read that on the Steamdreams Twitter feed yesterday.........

Ben (apologies in advance if I'm wrong :oops:)

fsmr

Still no idea why it was booked to call at Oakham for nine minutes - I think it surprised a few of the bystanders when it passed through at a fair speed!

Yeh strange it of course also blasted through 13 early as well

I caught her at Frisby at speed
enjoy

[youtube]_sXhV64opIM[/youtube]

Tomnick

Established Member
Only 4' early approaching Oakham, but missing the 9' booked call was of course what put the train 14' onwards towards Peterborough. Looking good at Frisby though!

D1009

Established Member
I despair sometimes about the negative attitude of we Brits. True this loco failed and there’s no official reason yet but, it’s the 21st Century when nobody moves until a Risk Assessment has been performed. So when a train fails away from a Station, rather than comment sarcastically, or ask why it has taken so long to repair it, critics should ask themselves what would have done to make things safe and then get their paying public to the end of the journey with the minimum of fuss while trying to keep costs down; and then, ask how long it would take.
I do worry that some of the comments here are a bit harsh. I am a Railfan, not an anorak nor a trainspotter and I’m sad when anything goes so badly wrong that it threatens my future enjoyment and that of others.
We should commend the work done by the Support Crew and Network Rail to safely get the thing moved to a refuge inside four hours, working in the dark and on the road (not at the roadside!). A ‘Well done’ to them, I think.
Welcome to the forum, and I totally
agree with you.

AndyPJG

RAIB is investigating:- http://www.raib.gov.uk/publications/current_investigations_register/131123_winchfield.cfm

Locomotive failure near Winchfield, Hampshire

The RAIB is investigating the failure of a steam locomotive hauling a passenger train, which occurred between Fleet and Winchfield stations on Saturday 23 November 2013.

At about 18:50 hrs, train 1Z94, the 17:48 hrs charter service from London Waterloo to Weymouth, was approaching Winchfield, where it was due to stop for the locomotive to take on water. While the train was travelling at about 40 mph, the right-hand connecting rod of the locomotive, former British Railways (Southern Region) 4-6-2 34067 “Tangmere”, became detached at the leading end (referred to as the small end), and dropped down. The end of the detached rod struck the conductor rail, and there was some electrical flashing. This was noticed by the locomotive crew, and the driver stopped the train immediately, about one mile outside Winchfield station. After running along the conductor rail for some distance, the connecting rod dropped onto the sleeper ends just before the locomotive came to rest.

The locomotive’s support crew dismantled the connecting rod, and the train was then assisted by the diesel locomotive that was attached to its rear as far as Basingstoke, where the passengers transferred to another train to continue their journey.

The RAIB’s preliminary examination found that the small end assembly, in which the connecting rod is secured in the crosshead by a gudgeon pin and associated nut and cotter, had come apart. The gudgeon pin was found intact, lodged on the locomotive, but the nut and cotter have not yet been recovered.

The RAIB’s investigation will seek to identify the sequence of events leading to the connecting rod becoming detached. It will include the design, manufacture, installation and maintenance of the components making up the crosshead and piston assembly, and relevant aspects of the operation and maintenance of the locomotive.

The RAIB would be pleased to hear from anyone who has a photograph or video recording showing detail of the right-hand side of Tangmere, taken at Waterloo or subsequently on the journey during the evening of Saturday 23 November.

The RAIB’s investigation is independent of any investigation by the Office of Rail Regulation.

The RAIB will publish its findings, including any recommendations to improve safety, at the conclusion of its investigation. This report will be available on the RAIB website.

Last edited:

AndyPJG

Rail Accident Investigation Branch (RAIB) has released its report into a Locomotive failure near Winchfield, 23 November 2013. RAIB has made four recommendations.

R132014_Winchfield.pdf

carriageline

Established Member
Quite a lucky set of events truth be told, it could of been hell of a lot worse, and we could be reading a report of possible deaths and serious injuries

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established Member
Maybe we should get these kettle jobs off the mainline, well at least generally off the major routes anyway.

OK I will get my coat

341o2

Established Member
once upon a time these "kettle jobs" ran the railways.

We should indeed be thankful that a major disaster did not occur and lessons will be learnt fom this insight into the subsequent modifications to the motion of 34067

what is its status as I note that some booked workings have been cancelled due to "uncertain locomotive avaliability" the two Swanage Belle specials have both been worked by the black 5 44932 and todays comment "wot no diesel" as the down train came through without the 47 on the rear

theblackwatch

Established Member
what is its status as I note that some booked workings have been cancelled due to "uncertain locomotive avaliability" the two Swanage Belle specials have both been worked by the black 5 44932 and todays comment "wot no diesel" as the down train came through without the 47 on the rear

34067 has been back in action since April. The recent Swanage Belle trips have used Class 33 D6515 (which is based at Swanage and main line certified) as the drawback engine from Swanage to Southampton, so no need for a loco to be on the rear for the rest of the tour.

Dave1987

On Moderation
Maybe we should get these kettle jobs off the mainline, well at least generally off the major routes anyway.

OK I will get my coat

I agree totally! IMO "kettles" have no place on the mainline any more. Keep them on preserved lines in a much more controllable environment. I've seen lot of enthusiasts making life for staff very difficult by either being in places they shouldn't or swamping a platform around what they are trying to see. I know people love seeing steam engines but their place is on preserved lines and not on the mainline. No doubt people won't like that but never mind.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Sounds more like you are trying to make a case for keeping steam enthusiasts rather than steam locomotives off the mainline network.

Last edited:

Bill Stanier

Some people just have no soul. Who could possibly want to see 'Sutherland' or a 'Streak' bumbling along a heritage line at 25mph instead of in its natural environment, speeding along a main line with 12 on?

Mind you, anyone who refers to a steam locomotive as a 'kettle' has already indicated that they not capable of appreciating such sights and sounds. :roll:

Dave1987

On Moderation
Some people just have no soul. Who could possibly want to see 'Sutherland' or a 'Streak' bumbling along a heritage line at 25mph instead of in its natural environment, speeding along a main line with 12 on?

Mind you, anyone who refers to a steam locomotive as a 'kettle' has already indicated that they not capable of appreciating such sights and sounds. :roll:

You've clearly never seen the issues caused by loads of steam engine enthusiasts crowding round an engine with staff repeatedly shouting at the to keep the platform edges clear so normal services can run safely and the crowd paying no attention.

Bill Stanier

You've clearly never seen the issues caused by loads of steam engine enthusiasts crowding round an engine with staff repeatedly shouting at the to keep the platform edges clear so normal services can run safely and the crowd paying no attention.

Bit of an assumption there, Dave. You have no idea what I have seen or not seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.